PDA

View Full Version : probably a dumb question.

Valparaiso
30th April 2007, 03:25 PM
i've put together a portfolio of designs and ideas for future wipeouts. purely for fun, of course, but i take it very seriously and would like to somehow put my ideas to liverpool studios. i'm sure they're not interested in collaborating with outsiders when they've got a perfectly competent in-house design team already, but i've basically written an entire game, and i daresay its bigger and potentially better than what has come before. i'm talking dozens of new team designs and even more track designs, plus an array of exciting and very do-able gameplay ideas. now, some of you seem quite well-informed about the business of these things, and i'm sure many of you have had the same idea at some point...is there any way i could basically knock on SL's door and get them interested in my work, without actually applying for a full-time position with them.

i mean, the hardcore of wipeout's fanbase are so few in number and so dedicated that they should really be considered an extension of the studio team anyay, don't you agree?

Lance
30th April 2007, 04:05 PM
So you don't want to actually work in SL?

PIRANHA MASTER
30th April 2007, 05:00 PM
Welcome to the forum,Valparaiso!I'm making a my game of WipEout celled WipEout Prototype Racer(see the thread for more info: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3791 )
You can send me you ships and tracks!;) Any new thing is welcome.

andy
30th April 2007, 06:22 PM
I'm sure its worth a try. good luck with it

supersocks
30th April 2007, 08:56 PM
i mean, the hardcore of wipeout's fanbase are so few in number and so dedicated that they should really be considered an extension of the studio team anyay, don't you agree?

If that's what you think, then go ahead. Send them your portfolio. Or post it here. Devs sneak here anyway. If folks at SL have any dignity left they'll include your name in credits under Special Inspirational Thanks. Wouldn't that sound more fancier than just plain Concept Designer etc.? :)

Or is there some rule like "§1½: No interaction with players. They don't know what they want. The game would become just a bloated and inconsistent piece of UGC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User-generated_content) with this approach."

Valparaiso
30th April 2007, 09:47 PM
So you don't want to actually work in SL?

well i'd love to work on a wipeout game properly yeah, like i said i've written a full game (though i'm open to suggestions and modifications, of course) but i just don't think anyone working a creative field should spread themselves too thinly and just sign on at "the wipeout department" as a full-time consideration. i mean, virtually any game designer comes up ideas for different titles, right? i think i'd go insane if i had to just work on wipeout alone and nothing else. plus, when a game has such a hardcore fanbase as wipeout, where many people come up with their own ideas that are more than worthy of consideration, i would think they are just as invaluable as any of the designers on the development staff. there are some really good ideas being put forward on wipeoutzone and i think SL should take note.

thanks for the tips everyone, btw.

Asayyeah
30th April 2007, 10:40 PM
there are some really good ideas being put forward on wipeoutzone and i think SL should take note.

They haven't been waiting for your suggestion to do it but you re wellcome :D

Cannon_Fodder
1st May 2007, 08:00 AM
In general, you're better off posting on a public forum than trying direct contact. There are all sorts of legal issues involved with unsolicited ideas, and SL would probably just return your work unread, thanking you for your time. It can be a minefield for devs and publishers so they tend to try and avoid the problem.

Still, plenty of the dev team read the forums, so as has been mentioned before, they're more than likely to see any ideas you've got. Remember that they've also been coming up with stuff, so much of what you've thought of might already be in there! (especially game features and improvements). They have indeed got some quality designers, and I'm sure they've got some cracking improvements in the pipeline :-)

Of course, I'm not Studio Liverpool so they might have a completely different view!

q_dmc12
1st May 2007, 12:59 PM
Haha, got to be careful with those homebrew smilies ;)

I think he meant a :+ instead.

Probably. Possibly. Who can tell. ;)
clearly it was a : -) :p

infoxicated
1st May 2007, 01:03 PM
I think he meant a :+ instead.

Probably. Possibly. Who can tell. ;)

Cannon_Fodder
1st May 2007, 02:13 PM
Oops.

I seem to remember that I've done that before... How on earth can : - ) be a thumbs down! Curse you, curse you all!

Ummm...

Anyway, it was supposed to be a thumbs up...

Well, I HOPE it's a thumbs up...

infoxicated
1st May 2007, 02:55 PM
We'll let you off this time. :)

Watching the game tonight - in hi-def with that new eye of yours!? ;)

swift killer
6th August 2007, 03:02 PM
iv done the same thing, i think you should start a thread on this site but have the pics coded so no one can save/copy them, also, keep the original files in a vault so that in the case someone blatantly copies them, you can say that they stole your intelectual property as the original files will be dated. most of my stuff is hand sketched because at the moment my laptop is begging for mercy on its last legs!

so just post your stuff on a forum, heck if people are posting homebrew renders in this forum then why not?