PDA

View Full Version : Politics - French elections

guillaume
26th April 2007, 11:39 AM
Hello everyone

I usually am pretty quiet on these boards, even though I've been reading them for more than a year now.
Because of the French elections I feel like I need to do whatever I can to avoid what many consider a big risk for the French democracy: Nicolas Sarkozy becoming the next president.
I know this forum has nothing to do with politics, so my first question is, am I allowed to go on with this thread?
It would not bring any kind of racism or propaganda.

Thanks, have a good day!

Medusa
26th April 2007, 02:30 PM
(I've no idea if it's allowed)

Strictly speaking I am politically neutral, but I agree with you Sarkozy would be a scary choice for France. I have not heard too much over here about most of the platforms, etc. but for purely skin-deep - first-woman-ever-reasons I would love to find that Segolene Royal becomes president...

(perhaps no racism or propoganda but as a woman can I add sexism???;)

q_dmc12
26th April 2007, 03:19 PM
It should be fine as is the off topic area of the forums

Lance
26th April 2007, 05:15 PM
I don't know about Rob, who is the final arbiter here, but I've always thought that discussing politics and/or religion is a very effective way of turning friends into enemies. ;)

Asayyeah
26th April 2007, 05:19 PM
We got that kind of thread years ago about US polls, it was an interesting discussion. Main thing is to respect everyone's own choice : that's the basic rule

2 things i am proud is number of voters at the 1st round of presidential poll ( 84.6 %) which means french know they are living crucial election for their future and also not to see extremists ( left or right) on the 2nd round.

But Situation here in France is not as simple as that. We need to avoid a dichotomy vision with a good & a bad candidate.
It's always left side against right side and vice-versa, left side doing a conservative politic when they have been elected and conservatives has done a left side politic. Actually since 1984 it's always like that.

Honestly i can't stand this anymore , that's the reason why i supported the 3rd guy Bayrou who is in the middle of the french political chessboard and wants to create a new party called 'Democrate' which is fairly close to the same party from USA. His main goal is to go out from that historical rivalry and let working the most accurated people from the 2 sides together uniquely based on the benefit of France and not for their own personal goal.

Strange contradiction for french people , they want to see things get changed but they don't want to change themselves... something like ' ok please neighboor change from your current life, but please don't touch on my standart of living... '

Nothing else to add , and now i am going back to my unique party i LUV with passion , the WipEout Fight Club !! with one statment : ' there's no Wipeout Fight Club existing' so shhhh it's a secret :p

JABBERJAW
28th April 2007, 01:37 AM
Maybe your third party has convictions. All the democrats and republicans here just care about being elected, not anything else. They both lie until it becomes truth. Very sickening. Most of the time they can say the exact opposite opinion they stated a year or so before, and get away with it. I think that politics should probably not be discussed on this board, in that I'm already getting ticked off with what I wrote. :)

q_dmc12
28th April 2007, 03:31 AM
Flip-flops:bomb

Task
28th April 2007, 04:15 AM
You can wear them on your feet, and it can also describe where you stand on political issues.

Another interesting quirk of the english language.

Medusa
28th April 2007, 03:03 PM
We should always remember that governments will always fail at something, regardless of who is elected, and that ultimately we as individuals can do boundless good ourselves by moulding our own perceptions to view every person in the world as our equal, treat them as such, and love them as such. Only individuals have the power to make others feel loved. Governments cannot achieve anything so powerful.

FOR THE GOOD OF MANKIND;)

guillaume
30th April 2007, 09:35 PM
Considering the previous answers in this topic, I won't go on very long with this thread unless people put answers in it and are interested in talking about this.
So I'll just give this link: http://www.betapolitique.fr/ruptures
It won't be of interest for many people because it's a French book, but for French people around here, or French-speaking people, it may give you a different opinion of Nicolas Sarkozy, one that you may not find on TV.

Thanks for your time! :)

andy
6th May 2007, 07:59 PM
Sarkozy takes French presidency

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6630797.stm

guillaume
7th May 2007, 03:28 PM
...and that's a shame :frown:

Please, consider that half of us didn't want him, and probably never will. :)