PDA

View Full Version : What about the Playstation 2?

Rapier Racer
5th February 2007, 06:14 PM
The Playstation 2? It's been overlooked and left out with all the PS3 excitement. Lets not forgot just how many PS2s there are around the world over 110 million isn't it? Thats a lot of potential customers for SL if they made us another PS2 Wipeout which we need because lets face it in most peoples eyes Fusion was a failure I'd gladly welcome it over a PS3 version, PS3s are going to be scarce in Europe for a long time and cost a very lot of money. Fusions graphics were stunning and PS2 has online capabilities so I ask you would you not welcome a new PS2 Wipeout next instead of waiting till 2009 (come on you know its going to be delayed 100 times or so) for PS3?

Tomahawk
5th February 2007, 07:14 PM
Indeed, I would be VERY happy to see another WipEout on the PS2, but I'm afraid it will never happen. Imo Sony just can't afford to mess up another PS2 WipEout title like they did with Fusion - that would be devastating for the brand WipEout is for them. That's why I think they're afraid to do another title on the PS2.

Another argument is a simple economical one, I think: As you said RR, the PS2 has already been sold over 100 million times in the whole wide world. So I guess Sony already made their profit with this console and is now focusing elswhere (PSP, PS3) with their efforts. They have to really push the PS3 to keep up with Microsoft's X-Box and a game like WipEout, which has gone platinum sales with every single release of the series (except Fusion and 3SE if I remember correctly), will surely help to increase the sales of the new PS3 console. So my guess is that Sony might watch the PS3 sales statistics and have kind of an ace up their sleeve with a new WipEout release to boost the console sales if they don't go as expected.

Zerow
5th February 2007, 07:19 PM
Aye, I wouldn't mind seeing another PS2 WipEout (with online play :g), although more than likely, as said, it won't happen.

Mad-Ice
5th February 2007, 08:57 PM
Yes, yes, yes, I would really want another PS2 version of Wipeout. Online play has to be in there. The online service is already there, so how difficult can it be?!

djb
7th February 2007, 03:33 PM
if there was another ps2 game, we would get to use our negcons instead of that sixaxis rubbish!! bonus!!

JABBERJAW
7th February 2007, 04:50 PM
Man, just port over wipeout pure, with negcon support. how hard could that be. Oh and another speed class.

Lance
7th February 2007, 05:06 PM
Huh? Do you need one slower than Vector? ;) :D

lunar
7th February 2007, 05:12 PM
lol. Technically speaking, slower than Vector on Pure is called "parking". I guess if Pure had been released on PS2 then many of us would not have bought PSPs. Sound business by Sony.... they own me.

Rapier Racer
7th February 2007, 07:59 PM
PS2 has already been sold over 100 million times in the whole wide world. So I guess Sony already made their profit with this console

From hardware sales yes but I'm sure they will have looked at the potential software sales they could make with that number of consoles out there, why the game could pay for itself 10 times over and fill Sonys pockets nicely at the same time

Medusa
7th February 2007, 08:54 PM
Am I correct in thinking that the PSP has the same graphics capabilities (or close to) the PS2? Why not release each PSP wipeout game on PS2 as well, when after all most people who are going to buy a PSP already have one, don't they?

Rapier Racer
7th February 2007, 08:56 PM
I'm not 100% sure how close the two compare but I could not imagine Fusion type graphics on the PSP at all, you can see the difference with WWE games

Asayyeah
7th February 2007, 09:13 PM
Oh and another speed class.

Huh? Do you need one slower than Vector? ;) :D

Technically speaking, slower than Vector on Pure is called "parking".

After a hard day those 2 last quotes suit me perfectly well. Thx mates for that hilarious moment i spent :D

Airrider
7th February 2007, 09:30 PM
After a hard day those 2 last quotes suit me perfectly well. Thx mates for that hilarious moment i spent :D

*chortle* It's like Top Gear in the anti-gravity era.

...*chortle*...I can hear them talking about a Zone-themed band.

"Wow! A Zone band! So presumably, they'll play really fast, change key often, and then burst into flame."

I think maybe one higher than Phantom might be a little too much to handle. Go faster, you call that a "crash".

Lance
7th February 2007, 10:48 PM
''I think maybe one higher than Phantom might be a little too much to handle.''

Depends on whether you're an Al or not.
Or Arnaud.
Or someone equally illustrious. :)

Lion
8th February 2007, 10:22 AM
I don't think even that's the case.
the more you play of phantom the more it seems like a normal pace.
I think I could handle something faster than phantom in pure.. it seemed when I first got it that phantom was going to melt my brain, but now it's simply the right speed

Lance
8th February 2007, 02:13 PM
Didn't somebody say that Phantom class on Pure is slower than on either 2097/XL or W3O? Is it?

Lion
8th February 2007, 05:09 PM
it's definitely considerably slower than either of those older titles

Asayyeah
8th February 2007, 05:13 PM
i feel 2097/XL & W3O always faster than pure in phantom class but this is hard to compare equally : the psX opus with neggie and pure with dpad. Besides don't forget Firmware above 3.0 psp gives a faster feeling on Pure than we had when it launched.

weird stuff :
On the old ones , approximatively ( margin of less than 1 sec) i know where are the limits in term of best time possible on phantom.
About Pure except the 5 easiest tracks i have no clue on what score may be acheivable or not.

Rapier Racer
8th February 2007, 08:45 PM
I always felt that 3 SE Phantom class was faster than Pures

JABBERJAW
11th February 2007, 04:11 AM
It's probably as fast as xl regular ships, but not even close to piranha. Due to the speeds meaning nothing on psp wipeout, zone isn't even the fastest ship. It should feel like piranha from xl with those stats.

phl0w
9th March 2007, 12:39 PM
Sorry to bring up that one month old thread, but

Besides don't forget Firmware above 3.0 psp gives a faster feeling on Pure than we had when it launched.

I got my PSP with 3.03OE-A, so I don't know older FWs. How is playing purE on 3.xx firmwares different from older ones?

Piranha 2097 was fast indeed, but I think a 100% Piranha in Fusion (on Mandrashee or on the Moon) is the fastest I've seen anything move in any videogame.

supersocks
9th March 2007, 06:45 PM
I deeply apologise to return to the actual topic...

From http://www.development.scee.net/profile_liverpool.html

Studio Liverpool’s other foray into PlayStation 2 was “Wipeout Fusion”, which marked the first and only appearance of the series on the format.

Not even a port of pure?!?! WHY? OH WHY?!?! :(

infoxicated
10th March 2007, 09:37 AM
I deeply apologise to return to the actual topic...
LOL! :D

Good find, incidentally - I put that site together a couple of years ago, which you can tell by the fact there's no mention of F106 on PS2 & PS3, and no mention of F1 Championship Edition on the PS3. :)

rdmx
10th March 2007, 10:17 AM
So YOU created that 'Page cannot be found' page!!!

Rob you EVIL BASTARD! :P

EDIT: Scrub that. There's a colon in the url.

Asayyeah
10th March 2007, 08:23 PM
I fixed it

Sausehuhn
4th April 2007, 01:04 PM
Wonder if a new PS2 game would run on the PS3 with it's backwards compatibility problems, too :rolleyes:

WizzyWig
11th May 2007, 07:00 PM
The Playstation 2? It's been overlooked and left out with all the PS3 excitement. Lets not forgot just how many PS2s there are around the world over 110 million isn't it? Thats a lot of potential customers for SL if they made us another PS2 Wipeout which we need because lets face it in most peoples eyes Fusion was a failure I'd gladly welcome it over a PS3 version, PS3s are going to be scarce in Europe for a long time and cost a very lot of money. Fusions graphics were stunning and PS2 has online capabilities so I ask you would you not welcome a new PS2 Wipeout next instead of waiting till 2009 (come on you know its going to be delayed 100 times or so) for PS3?

Agreed. Between not having a PSP or PS3, the only WipeOuts I can conveniently play are the originals on the PS. I think that the PS2 will still remain somewhat popular and another WipeOut title (or at least a port of the PSP games) would go over pretty well. The only setback would be limited multiplayer capability. Yeah, it's available but it's not that common. But still, it would be a warm welcome, at least from me.

DawnFireDragoon
24th May 2007, 02:00 PM
i couldn't agree more with this thread, i won't be buying a psp, as i dislike handheld gaming in general, so would appreciate the release of a port...even if they have to leave it for a few months to ensure their sales for psp.

A few issues would be things like the downloadable content, would a port be a basic port of the game, or include the downloadable content already on the disc. to be honest either way would be fine, i just need more wipeout!

phl0w
24th May 2007, 03:42 PM
Well, since ports of handheld games to home consoles are rather unreasonable, I doubt that we'll see another WO for the PS2.
Given that only a full product is acceptable for a home console and with WO,XL and 3:SE playable on the PS2 there's really no reason to risk another Fusion fiasco, imo. Note further what have become of games like WipeOut. Once being a system seller they suffer a niché existence nowadays, which is totally understandable seeing the user base and target audience most PS2 releases are aiming at. Latest example: Okami. Critically highly acclaimed game but Capcom cut off the developing studio (Clover) due to its, i.e. Okami's, not being a financial success. Sad but true.

Rapier Racer
26th May 2007, 06:55 PM
there's really no reason to risk another Fusion fiasco, imo.

Why, time and time again do people say this like its the consoles fault? Did the PS2's come to life at some point, join together to form some sort of big PS2 monster which then marched down to SL to make threats?

What makes us think that the PS3 Wipeout could be more 'right' than another PS2 game? It'll be shinier thats about it, could just as easily end up being a disaster.

q_dmc12
27th May 2007, 01:10 PM
Why, time and time again do people say this like its the consoles fault? Did the PS2's come to life at some point, join together to form some sort of big PS2 monster which then marched down to SL to make threats?

Yees! I have video footage:paperbag

swift killer
7th August 2007, 10:24 AM
sony are pretty much done with the ps2, so i dont really think their is any point in releasing a ps2 version of Pure or Pulse, its a waste of time seeing as its basically doing the same thing as making a new title for ps1

Rapier Racer
7th August 2007, 12:58 PM
You are incorrect Sony are in no way done with the PS2 do you have any idea how much money its still making them?? It still selling in big numbers and I also need to say, God of War.

swift killer
13th August 2007, 12:16 PM
i meant in temrs of SONY games coming on the PS2, hence why i very much doubt Wipeout will ever grace the little black box of wonder again......*sniff*

motorhue
22nd October 2007, 01:25 PM
Would a port to ps2 steal potential customers of psp? Not sure.. its a somewhat different market imh.

Never buying psp.. longing for a pulse port

Rapier Racer
25th October 2007, 11:53 AM
I think you might be longing a long time, having a game like this PSP exclusive is only a good thing for PSP sales and the PSPs image in general. It needs exclusive games, PS2 to PSP ports are OK but you can tell with some of them, this is crap, clearly a rushed cash in job *cough EA cough*

Lion
26th October 2007, 10:44 AM
I'd replace the name in coughs with capcom... tried streetfighter alpha3 or darkstalkers on psp?

and
5th May 2008, 09:19 PM
Hmm, What to make of this?

http://www.cdon.com/main.phtml?prod=807097&nav=5704&navroot=902&page=product

They even have a releasedate.

Rapier Racer
5th May 2008, 10:04 PM
Hmmm can't seem to find any info on that elsewhere looks a bit sketchy. Does PS2 even have the ability to go online gaming anymore? Theres no point in buying that if it can't.

I'd probably end up buying it though, maybe it could be one of those PS2 games that installs onto the PS3 and can make use of the PSN, maybe we could use the download ships online! And maybe someone will give me £1 million tomorrow for no apparent reason!

Lance
5th May 2008, 11:08 PM
I'm holding out for 10 million; I'm thinking Richard Branson would like me and could afford it.

DJ Techno
6th May 2008, 03:55 AM
Look until sony sees everybody in the world actually has a ps3 in their home.

they won't stop making games to play on the ps2.

even half of the games on the ps3.
are still made for the second playstion

the future of the ps2.

is still living.
like people still have game cubes, SNES, and the original XBox

omega329
6th May 2008, 03:48 PM
Also, at this moment in time, there aren't that many good games out for the PS3, whenever I go round to my freinds to play on it, we always start playing Star Wars Battlefront 2.

blixabargeld
7th May 2008, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't complain about the fate of PS2, because some titles are going to be released for that format for a while.. The unlucky people who got an old Xbox are now with a console that worths nothing and games which value is set to only one euro cad.
Sony demostrates to care more about gamers and their "needs" (of course business is business) and the upgrade to the new generation of consoles for the user of Sony is more gradual.. (buy a ps2 or even a psone now it's not as stupid as buy an xbox or a gamecube)
Anyway if i could choose I'd like more to have another wipeout on psp than on ps2 ('cause their technical specs are quite similar) :)

Lance
7th May 2008, 04:37 PM
I think that picking up an original Xbox and games for it could be a very good entertainment value. Cheap fun. To a somewhat lesser degree [pertaining to the 'cheap' part], a PS2 is likewise a good acquisition.