PDA

View Full Version : The next (imaginary) Wipe'Out": Wipe'Out" Maximum

Vasudeva
1st June 2002, 04:53 PM
Howdy all,

In a few postings on this board, I'd like to communicate some of my ideas on a (fictive) next WO game. It goes beyond the level of a wish list in that aspect, that I worked it out in greater detail and a part from conceiving some new teams, came up with other game options and synthesising thoughts as well.

The only thing I really lack (a part from a job at Psygnosis, of course :lol:) is graphics. I'm not a bad drawer, but I suck at colour drawings, and the results would look too clumsy anyway.

So... Let your imagination work. And feel free to comment on and/or criticise my ideas!

Peace,
V.

Vasudeva
1st June 2002, 04:56 PM
WIPE'OUT" MAXIMUM
- maximise the future -
everything is © J. Meuleman

Technical or author's notes are in blue for quick reference, and to "cut the crap" :)

Table of contents:
I. introduction
II. classes
III. teams
IV. starting grid
V. weapons

I. Introduction

It's the year 2175 CE. Anti-gravity racing has been the most popular, mythical and succesful sport of the human race, which has long since expanded beyond its own natural borders, no longer held by the gravitational confines of its home planet. The FX5-Liga now hosts the international and interstellar anti-gravity racing championships of 2175, which promises to be the most exciting year thusfar.

Okay, so these are my fairly detailed ideas for the next Wipe'out", namely Wipe'out" Maximum. It aims at combining and deepening what I personally find the best bits of the previous games, mixed with some new elements. Old elements returning are:
* All previous teams and tracks (including most music tracks)
* WO1's selection of pilots, with some minimal information.
* WO2's system of class upgrades. Each class "has" a few tracks.
* WO2's craft balancing, with a less clear distinction as to which is the "best" craft.
* WO3's "shield boost" which should give some more edge to the high-shield-low-speed craft.
* WO3's high iconicity.
* WOF's system of the starting grid.
* WOF's system of three possible parcours per circuit.
* WOF's idea of individualised super weapons further expanded.

New elements are:
* Each racing track has its own tune.
* New teams and tracks added
* Total of 18 teams
* Total of 46 tracks
* Each team owns three tracks, except for Al-Qahira and Boomerang, who both own two tracks.
* Other interface. I'm not a computer wiz, so I'm not able to show it, but in my mind the interface would be similar to the "steering wheel" at the WOF site. It would function as some sort of general selection bar. Once you highlight a team, the icon animation starts in the "empty spot" above the "wheel".
* Language selection of the computer. Everyone can select English, but for Al-Qahira, for example, one could also choose Arabic. Or Russian for Tigron, or German for Van-Über, etc. And like in WO1, it announces the weapon fired at you.
* Ships are affected by tempatures. Shield energy is drained faster under hot temperatures (35°C or up), and weapons fire slower at cold temperatures (below 0°C).
 Ships have lights to guide them when in dark places (tunnels, at night)[/color]

* I don't know all details about Wipe'out" Fusion, so my info shows "empty spots" here and there, especially with regards to WOF's music and track surface details. Also, my English is far from perfect :oops:

Vasudeva
1st June 2002, 05:07 PM
II. Classes

Alpha Class

This is where it all begins. You are supposed to start with only Al-Qahira's second pilot, ranked #36, available. As you finish the first track on the first class with him, other tracks and modes begin to get available.

1. Palm Runs

* Maximum height: 126m
* Maximum length: 24,94km
* Surface: FX5 RS
* Owner: Al-Qahira Corporation
* Average temperature: 50° C
* Time: Noon
* Condition: Clear
* Track: Didier Sinclair - Lovely Flight
* A tropical desert track, with very straightforward cornering and long straights to practise on for speed freaks. A typical pushover. Mind the heat, though. At Omega class this becomes a serious problem for the faster crafts. Visit the pit lanes for cooling off!

2. Talon's Reach

* Maximum height: 74m
* Maximum length: 25,6km
* Owner: Emerald Limited
* Average temperature: 14° C
* Time: Late evening
* Track: FSOL- We have explosive
* Now longer than ever, Talon's Reach still runs through the industrial complex of the eccentric Canadian millionaire clan Deveraux, who cherish the track as part of their personal heritage.

3. Alca Vexus

* Maximum height: 331m
* Maximum length: 24,2km
* Surface:
* Owner: Van-Über GmbH
* Average temperature: 32° C
* Time: Afternoon
* Track: FSOL - Papua New Guinea
* This overwhelmingly popular track, built in Mexico, is many pilots' favourite track to show off what they can do with their ships. Mind the hot temperatures.

4. Porto Kora

* Maximum height: 81m
* Maximum length: 26,22km
* Owner: Pirhana Advancements
* Average temperature: 21° C
* Time: Morning
* Track: U2 - It's a beautiful day
* Restored and enlarged, with the Mega City further expanding beyond its original borders, it was possible to re-use this track because the actual large port activity (for which the original Porto Kora had to move) moved to Porto Nova, a few kilometres further.

5. Karbonis V

* Maximum height: 107m
* Maximum length: 23,61km
* Surface: reclaimed titanium
* Owner: AG-S
* Average temperature: 17° C
* Time: Night
* Track: CoLD SToRAGE - Cold Comfort
* Still the only Japanese AG track in the world, and although not very difficult, a popular hot-spot for the Japanese, and all lovers of the races. May the spirit of the Buddha be with you.

6. Sagarmatha

* Maximum height: 158m
* Maximum length: 17,2km
* Surface: artificial crystal
* Owner: EG-R
* Average temperature: -4° C
* Time: Noon
* Condition: Snow
* Track: CoLD SToRAGE - Canada
* A famous track among wipEout pilots, Sagarmatha has been the décor of numerous eliminations and records being achieved. Now that the Nepalese government has given authorisation to expand the track, Sagarmatha will be more spectacular than ever.

7. Transatlantica

* Maximum height: 223m
* Maximum length: 23,17km
* Owner: FEISAR Consortium
* Average temperature: 10 °C
* Time: Afternoon
* Condition: Storm
* Track:
* A windy, and stormy track across the sea, with an exhilarating loop at the end. A taste of more difficult things to come. Be sure not to fly into the ocean!

8. Altima VII

* Maximum height: 359m
* Maximum length: 22,54km
* Owner: Auricom Industries
* Average temperature: 6 °C
* Time: Night
* Track: CoLD SToRAGE - Cardinal Dancer
* One of the first, and for decades one of the highest tracks ever to be built, pilots see this as a classic, and most were glad to see it included in the official FX5 track list again. "This track," Julia Lavender from AG-S says, "truly discerns the talented from the losers."

More to follow tomorrow!

rhys
1st June 2002, 09:08 PM
wow, i like your detailed explainations there:)

i will wait till the end though 2 post my final opinion. 8)

btw, your english is very good :D

Armoredgear7
1st June 2002, 10:47 PM
I like, I like.

I too, shall wait. :)

Vasudeva
2nd June 2002, 07:29 AM
Bèta Class

9. Mega Mall

Maximum height: 169m
Maximum length: 18,44km
Surface: magnetic steel
Owner: AG-S
Average temperature: 15° C
Time: Noon
Condition: Clear
Track: Propellerheads - Lethal Cut
Also referred to as "Little Japan", Mega Mall, located in the Mega City, is perhaps the most impressive and complex bastion of shopping in the world, with its own theme park, over five hundred restaurants, ten markets and thousands of shops. With the activity in the Mall moving away from the centre, this track could be renewed and increased in length to ensure more spectacles to come. Fans will be pleased to know that the infamous Mall-Spiral is still present.

10. Yangtze Rails (Prototype 2 from WO3)

Maximum height: 204m
Maximum length: 19,7km
Surface: ionised magnesium
Owner: EG-R
Average temperature: 23° C
Time: Early noon
Condition: Cloudy
Track:
(The "green" prototype from WO3/SE with the very difficult tunnel in the end, set in an urbane Chinese environment) Yangtze Rails follows a defunct railway across the urbanised estuaries of the Chinese Yangtze rivers, where China, according to all Asian teams, displays all of its overwhelming natural beauty.

11. Cubiss Float

Maximum height: 825m
Maximum length: 22,10km
Surface:
Owner: Van-Über GmbH
Average temperature: 0° C
Condition: Snow
Track:
After a second "little ice age" came over the world in 2163-2168, the amounts of snow and ice in the world have been steadily increasing, and Cubiss Float, formerly one of the last places in the world where large quantities of ice were preserved, bears witness of that. Bear in mind that your weapon systems might freeze if you don't visit the pit lanes now and then.

12. Valparaìso

Maximum height: 220m
Maximum length: 20,73km
Surface: blasted sandstone
Owner: Pirhana Advancements
Average temperature: 18° C
Time: Afternoon
Track: FSOL - Landmass
Valparaìso, located in the outskirts of city with the same name, was an overgrown ruin when it was discovered again back in 2156, after years of silent anonymity. The ambitious FX5 Liga restored and expanded the track, and was impressed with how much sincerity and reverence older wipEout fans, born before 2097, looked at the reconstructed track.

13. Sampa Run

Maximum height: 308m
Maximum length: 27,32km
Surface: electrified iron
Owner: Qirex [RD]
Average temperature: 7° C
Time: Night
Condition: Rain
Track: Sasha - FEISAR
As Mega City's darker, more criminal areas expanded, so did the racing track Sampa Run. It was originally meant to attract more bonafid people to the races and chase the criminals away, but instead the racing track was later used by criminals for ulta-fast transports. The cost of demolishing the track would have been so high, than the Mega City government decided to re-use it instead. Be warned.

14. Tunguska Ducts (Prototype 1 from WO3)

Maximum height: 47m
Maximum length: 18,21km
Surface: carbonic steel
Average temperature 6° C
Time: Early morning
Condition: Misty
Track: Aphex Twin - Vordhosbn
(The "pink" first prototype from WO3/SE with all its smooth curves and corners) Tunguska Ducts takes the lower intermediate pilot through a maze of ancient tunnels and pipelines from an old, abandoned Russian science facility located near the forest and town of Tunguska, where in the beginning of the 20th century a meteorite exploded just above the country. Many think otherwise about this, and say it was an alien ship instead. Go and race, and see for yourself.

15. Terramax

Maximum height: 121m
Maximum length: 25,3km
Surface: FX5 RS
Owner: FEISAR Consortium
Average temperature: 15° C
Track: CoLD SToRAGE - Doh T
This track, originally "Germany's pride" in the Schwarzwald or Black Forest, was remodeled and expanded by the government, which insisted on it being included again in the track listing, after other old tracks were also included again. They got their way, and the result is certainly not something to be sad about.

16. Stanza Inter

Maximum height: 163m
Maximum length: 20,44km
Surface: carbonic iron
Owner: Transvaal Enterprises
Average temperature: 16° C
Track: Stardust - The Music sounds better with You
Renowned for its narrow, difficult tunnels, Stanza Inter was actually a transport street connecting a lot of city blocks with one another after it had served as a racing track, but now it is back again in full glory, ready to take the pilot through the exciting night life of Mega City. "I simply love its vibe," Eugène Kabotu of Assegai comments, "it reminds me of where I grew up."

Vasudeva
2nd June 2002, 07:36 AM
Gamma Class

17. Phenitia Park

Maximum height: 127m
Maximum length: 23,46km
Owner: Xios International
Average temperature: 12° C
Time: Early evening
Track: Fluke - Atombomb
Although the public here is usually rich, and composed of the eurocrats from the nearby international business quarters, Phenitia Park, near Berlin, still offers a considerable challenge to the intermediate pilot.

18. Randstad

Maximum height: 56m
Maximum length: 21,33km
Owner: Boomerang Transports
Average temperature: 14° C
Track: Push - Strange World
Randstad meanders across the Dutch area with the same name, and is a track famous for its speed records due to its flatness and many blue arrows. Make no mistake, however, its curves are sharp and unexpected, and its crossroads with two bridges, in the area of the Delta Works, make even the hardened pilot swallow.

19. Korodera

Maximum height: 219m
Maximum length: 19,81km
Surface: carbonic iron
Average temperature: 4° C
Time: Evening
Track: CoLD SToRAGE - Messij
After years of being used as a theme park attraction, the FX5 Liga decided to restore this track, and was aided by an enthusiastical Russian government, who felt that the dark atmopshere which the track still retains, manages to capture the post-communist atmosphere of the 21st century, of a Russia that was slowly evolving into an economic world power.

20. Devilia

Maximum height: 840m
Maximum length: 20,03km
Surface:
Owner: Emerald Limited
Average temperature: Unknown
Time: Unknown
Condition: Unknown
Track: BBE - Flash
Devilia was last year's stage of Al-Qahira's humiliating defeat by FEISAR. Ever since it was added to the Liga's list of tracks, pilots have been nervous to fly this unusual, alien construction. Many of them wish that it wouldn't have been included.

21. Florion Height

Maximum height: 650m
Maximum length: 28,63km
Surface:
Owner: Auricom Industries
Average temperature: 33° C
Track: Praga Khan - Breakfast in Vegas
Florion Height is another track famous for its eliminations and blistering temperatures. Veteran pilot Claus Gaarder says on this track: "Out here, even though you're flying a high-tech craft that is meant to shield you from the environment, you feel all on your own, with no one to help you. I try to think of fishing to relax when I have to go there."

22. Gare d'Europe

Maximum height: 179m
Maximum length: 17,57km
Surface: magnetic steel
Owner: FEISAR Consortium
Average temperature: 13° C
Track: Underworld - Tin There
Gare d'Europe has become a world-famous attraction in France for artists, bon vivants and dandies all over the world. Around the circuit, a lot of artistical studios, theatre buildings and restaurants have been built. The track is probably the most painted race track in the world, and Paris is proud to have this modern attraction next to its already impressive collection of monuments.

23. Ishtar Terra

Maximum height: 233m
Maximum length: 28,01km
Surface: wolfram
Average temperature: 466° C
Condition: Storm
Track:
Venus is like hell. A constant temperature of about 450 °C, a pressure of 97 bar and a constant rain of sulferoxide will kill anything that lives pretty soon. Luckily, the human race is resourceful, and the Veneran settlements have been able to survive long enough to allow their own AG circuit to be built. The result is a trip through a bizarre, grey world with active volcanoes and a temperature hot enough to make your blood boil.

24. Hi-Fumii

Maximum height: 134m
Maximum length: 24,64km
Surface: high-density iron
Owner: G-Tech Communications
Average temperature: 14° C
Track: Sasha – Pirhana
Located in the industrial area of Mega City, not very far from its gargantuan ports, Hi-Fumii is the home of many factories that process iron, bronze or other ores, and also harbours numerous nuclear plants. The circuit itself is usually used as a transport road between the industrial complexes, but for the duration of the championship, FX5 claims it as camping grounds once more.

Vasudeva
2nd June 2002, 07:42 AM
Delta Class

25. Odessa Keys

Maximum height: 121m
Maximum length: 26,23km
Surface: titanium
Owner: Omn¡tek Unlimited
Average temperature: 17° C
Time: Late evening
Track: CoLD SToRAGE - Body in Motion
Odessa Keys is a strange phenomenon. After Ukraine's industrial boom in the eighties of the 21st century, the country's shorelines grew so populated that some of them moved to this great, defunct oil platform. Shortly thereafter, the owners of the platform converted it into a racetrack, hoping to chase the unwanted inhabitants away. The result was the opposite of what they had hoped to achieve: its population steadily grew, and now Odessa Keys, 30 kilometres from Odessa's coast, is a city in its own right.

26. P-Mar Project

Maximum height: 456m
Maximum length: 17,76km
Owner: Xios International
Average temperature: 13 °C
Track:
P-Mar Project was meant to evoke a futuristic rural setting, which the designers called "futurustic". Rich, modern villas are scattered throughout these quarters, which seem at odds with the rest of the Mega City with its skyscrapers and dense alleys, only a few square kilometres further. In any case, with the generous gifts from the quarter's inhabitants, the track has been remolded and expanded, and is ready to challenge pilots once more.

26. Karpathia

Maximum height: 741m
Maximum length: 18,99km
Owner: Tigron Concern
Average temperature: 14 °C
Track:
Karpathia has been nominated by many AG magazines as being the most aggressive track in the championship schedule, which its owner, Tigron Concern, is very proud of. Karpathia has a lot of splits, gaps and… weapon grids, and takes you through a loop with a terrifying gap in it.

27. Katmoda 12

Maximum height: 119m
Maximum length: 23,69km
Surface: blasted moonstone
Average temperature: -125 °C
Track: Laurent Garnier – The Man with the Red Face
Katmoda 12 remains a popular AG attraction. Many people have paid their first visit to the Lunar Republic to watch the AG races here. The construction of the track was relatively simple due to the gravitational conditions, and has been an overwhelming success for the Liga. Pilots need to be mindful of the temperature: weapon systems are jammed quickly under such cold circumstances.

28. Manor Top

Maximum height: 104m
Maximum length: 25,45km
Surface: metallic polyester
Average temperature: 10 °C
Track: Paul Van Dyk - Avenue
Manor Top is a spectacle in itself, with the high mansions, steep "canyons" of streets, and the clever suspension of the track on several buildings. Jacques Armand from Auricom puts it this way: "It's wonderful. Despite it's age, it's still a gem. I don't mind losing at Manor Top – as long as I can fly there!"

29. Windhoek Falls (Prototype 4 from WO3)

Maximum height: 633m
Maximum length: 20,42km
Surface: metallic polyester
Time: Morning
Average temperature: 24 °C
Track: Photek - The Rain
(The "curvy green" prototype with all those tunnels, set in a tropical steppe environment) Winhoek, Namibia's capital, has worked long and hard on this track to make it an aesthetical success, and most AG critics agree that they have more than succeeded in this: the water flowing from the numerous waterfalls, combined with the natural landscape and its perfectly in-fitting synthetical buildings are truly a pleasure to watch.

30. Terminal

Maximum height: 297m
Maximum length: 16,26km
Surface: artificial emerald
Owner: AG-S
Average temperature: 13 °C
Track: MKL - Control
Curvy, capricious and narrow: Terminal, the typical technological quarter of the Mega City, is happy to welcome the AG races in its area again. While hackers regulary try to break into the LX5 computer systems to give advantages or disadvantages to pilots, or try to mess up the pit lane system, pilots can rest assured that no harm will come to them.

31. Arridos IV

Maximum height: 210m
Maximum length: 24,16km
Owner: Auricom Industries
Average temperature: 32 °C
Track: Perfect Entertainment - Poison
Located not very far from Florion Height, Arridos IV can be called the "father" of all desert tracks. This is how Tanya Rhodes from Boomerang views it: "Let's face it, the circuit is a bitch. Once you think you've mastered it, another corner puts an end to that illusion, and if you've got it going, your engine melts. I guess the old spirit of the natives must still be alive here "

Vasudeva
2nd June 2002, 07:47 AM
Epsilon Class

32. Silverstream

Maximum height: 232m
Maximum length: 26,8km
Surface: artificial crystal
Owner: ICARAS International
Time: Morning
Average temperature: -24 °C
Track: CoLD SToRAGE - Tentative
Silverstream was an old racing track, kind of forgotten and neglected by the eighties of the 21st century, but revalued again for its aesthetics and architecture by the fifties of the 22nd century. Under great public pressure, the FX5 Liga included it in its racing lists again, after putting a lot of money in its reconstruction, much to the delight of hardcore AG fans.

33. Mandrashee

Maximum height: 545m
Maximum length: 23,58km
Surface:
Owner: EG-R
Average temperature: 23 °C
Condition: Misty
Track:
The first track to feature the "underwater experience", Mandrashee is perhaps one of the most popular racing tracks of the AG-races, and attracts thousands of visitors to China each year, and of course millions of spectators via netcasting. In 2171, Goteki45° had to retreat a year from racing, after "accidentally" firing its machine gun at one of the water shields, allowing water to run in and two pilots to drown.

34. Mahayana (Prototype 3 from WO3)

Maximum height: 111m
Maximum length: 22,08km
Surface: carbonic titanium
Owner: Emerald Limited
Average temperature: 24 °C
Track:
(The "narrow pink" prototype from WO3, with the long straights in opposite directions next to one another) Traditionally regarded as a hard nut to crack, Osvald Nørkjell from ICARAS made the following comment on it: "The most confusing trait of the track is probably the people. Everywhere, there are people! In the buildings, next to the street. Markets, children, open-air bistros… I'm afraid that I might plummet into them one day."

35. Vostok Island

Maximum height: 97m
Maximum length: 20,48km
Surface: desintegrated obsidian
Owner: Goteki45°
Average temperature: 19 °C
Track: Praga Khan - Luv U Still
Built around and inside an old volcano, Vostok Island was a considerable threat for many pilots late in the 21st and in the beginning of the 22nd century because of its darkness and the track's own instability. With too many casualties on track and among spectators, it was closed down in 2113. However, Goteki45° bought the remains, and remodeled it "according to the highest safety standards". Under much protest, it was included on the list. It remains to be seen what Goteki45°'s safety standards are.

36. FireStar

Maximum height: 158m
Maximum length: 25,20km
Surface: magmatic steel
Owner: Omn¡tek
Average temperature: -49° C
Track: Perfect Entertainment - Planet 9
FireStar was, like many other tracks, long forgotten until recently discovered when excavations took place in the Cydonia area of Mars. Omn¡tek had the region declared religious territory and began reconstructing the track. The result is a weird, anachronistical trip through Mars' red landscapes. Adrenaline assured.

37. Spilskinanke

Maximum height: 82m
Maximum length: 17,45km
Surface: electrified iron
Average temperature: 16 °C
Condition: Storm
Track: Photek - The Third Sequence
We are happy to quote reigning world champion Natasha Belmondo on this track: "My grandfather always told me that Spilskinanke was a place to be afraid of, and many older people also spoke of the place with anguish and terror. When the track was reopened in 2164, and I raced there for the first time, I felt what they had been talking about: Spilskinanke is one of the darkest, most intimidating places possible. It's every pilot's own little hell."

38. Temtesh Bay

Maximum height: 945m
Maximum length: 21,28km
Surface:
Owner: Boomerang Transports
Average temperature: 21 °C
Track:
Temtesh Bay is a deceptively easy track, with tricky cornering and a murderous opposition to conquer. Being Australia's first track, it is sure to attract a high number of specators every year, which is also due to the track's management, run from populist convictions and gadgettery. It also has the honour of being the highest track in the world, visible from more than 30 kilometres distance.

39. Typhoon

Maximum height: 257m
Maximum length: 16,95km
Surface: electrified cupper
Owner: Goteki45°
Average temperature: 27 °C
Track:
In a very un-gotekesque move, Goteki45° decided to construct a track around a normal area. Set in tropical Hawaii, the track's main difficulty lies in a large spiral that goes up and down a mountain, and contains many tricks and traps.

Vasudeva
2nd June 2002, 07:52 AM
Omega Class

40. Vohl Square

Maximum height: 262m
Maximum length: 24,61km
Surface:
Average temperature: 8 °C
Condition: Smoggy
Track: Laurent Garnier - City Sphere
Vohl Square remains the favourite of the Tigron team, and has always been that way. In the words of Abdel Seyaz: "Vohl Square makes my heart race as fast as my craft. It is one of the only places in the world where I feel truly at home, one with the environment. That's where my place is."

41. Valles Marineris

Maximum height: 638m
Maximum length: 24,48km
Surface: magmatic steel
Owner: Omn¡tek
Time: Early morning
Average temperature: -27 °C
Condition: Sandstorm
Track: Prodigy - Climbatize
Valles Marineres, built in the deep canyon with the same name, is an exhilarating trip through dark, deep environments, and shows the long, ominous shades of the martian landscape stretched across the red sands. It's confusing tunnels and steep descents have caused numerous amateur pilots to quit and give up rather than spending one second longer in Valles Marineris.

42. Baikunur

Maximum height: 947m
Maximum length: 17,06km
Average temperature: 10 °C
Track: Prodigy - Firestarter
Baikunur is the ancient Russian launch facility, and has a sentimental value to many space travellers. Recently the site was bought up by Qirex [RD] and turned into an all-new racing track, ready to be listed in the championship schedule. This year is the track's own modest debut. A lot of spectacle is expected from the long "jump" at the end, which aims at emulating the feeling of being launched.

43. Wadi Sahara

Maximum height: 198m
Maximum length: 16,78km
Owner: Al-Qahira Corporation
Average temperature: 36 °C
Condition: Sandstorm
Track: Draxx Ltd.II – Amphetamines
Wadi Sahara follows the path of an old river, which occasionally fills up again in summer. The track is an exhausting race against the elements, and combines all dangers of Wipe'out" in one track, with curves, loopings, a lot of weapon grids, and nasty gaps to cross. Who masters this track can consider himself an expert. Mind the heat!

44. Catacombs

Maximum height: 26m
Maximum length: 26,66km
Surface: desintegrated cobalt
Average temperature: 11 °C
Track: Photek - Titan
Catacombs is an eerie experiment. The idea of using subway tunnels as Wipe'out" circuits is not new, nor is the idea of what fans of these tracks call "broken darkness". It is the combination, which is new, and the fact that Catacombs runs beneath the ruined city of Spilskinanke. There is barely visiblity, and every now and then there is a flicker of light. Most of the race is flown underground. "Once you go underground," Taurus Piemonte of Pirhana says, "there is simply no way back."

45. The Ice

Maximum height: 506m
Maximum length: 23,14km
Surface: artificial diamond
Owner: ICARAS International
Average temperature: -26 °C
Condition: Blizzard
Track: Photek - Sub-Zero
The Ice, as it's called, is the ultimate racing track. It starts on a stormy coastline just before Grahamland, and runs through thick layers of icy caves and mystical tunnels, lit by the icy reflection of the ship's own lights and engines. The Ice's most spectacular feature, however, is the "main gallery", a display of the ancient Antarctican culture, as it was 20 000 years ago. The track ends in a nasty, avalanche-like ending. Only the strong survive.

Tomorrow, I'll bring you the teams! Questions or comments (or criticism) on the tracks? Bring it on :D

Peace,
V.

rhys
2nd June 2002, 10:11 AM
wow!!!

thats very impressive. 8)

my comments are:

i like all the track nemas that you made up, they sound like the kinda names studio liverpool/leeds would use :)

also, i thoink this may be just 2 many tracks for some people!!! people who are not "hardcore" wipeout fans would never see the end!!!!!

otherwise, i love it!!

ps. i am glad 2 see xios there!!!!! :wink:

AmigoJack
2nd June 2002, 10:29 AM
let me add my one (maybe a secret course):

. name _/ iotatron reactivation
. location_/ desert gobi
. max height_/ 60m
. max length _/ 31,96km
. surface _/ experimental wanton coduct & asphalt (shifting)
. owner _/ rilt (rapid induced light technique) organization
. ave temp _/ 306K
. time _/ mid-day
. condition _/ high light contrasts
. track _/ phoneheads "sinister"
. desc _/ "this track area has been very welcome within the post-F9000-hype, inspiring the designers to build one of the most complicated racing circuits in this outdated and condemned acceleration project. most parts are underground, but there are quite a lot of hoppers up to the surface where the blinding'n'biting sun gives you a hard job to maintain your sight due to thiscontrast effect from the quick changes of darkside below the surface and bright hotness on top. because of the old acceleration tunnels there came a new idea when construction the racing paths below earth, which introduces the "wanton conduct" tubes: theyre like an envelopped track ground making it possible to let you drive at your favorite angle. due to this magnetic character upside down -rides are now partly available on the track, although you cannot you cannot lift off from the track when using those tubes. but dont be afraid: there are also a few jumps at the surface where you can practise the good old piranha flying style... be prepared to take the ride of your life and be aware of eating dust!"

rhys
2nd June 2002, 10:39 AM
thats sounds so cool!!!!!! :D

someone should send all these designs off 2 studio liverpool 8)

Vasudeva
2nd June 2002, 10:44 AM
@ AJ:

Very interesting stuff. I guess I forgot all about Mongolia :) . Especially the tube system is a smart idea.

@ Rhys:

Thanks for the comments. I realise it's really a lot, but then again WO3:SE had 16 tracks (and 6 prototypes) as well, and it still feels like there's room for more :). Okay, I just like massive games! :D

Peace,
V.

rhys
2nd June 2002, 10:48 AM
anytime!

i cant wait 2 see the rest!!!!! :D

ships should be good............

Vasudeva
2nd June 2002, 10:56 AM
I figured it might be better to start with the teams today so everything can be commented on at once.

III. Teams

1. Al-Qahira Corporation

FX5 press release: Al-Qahira Corporation was founded in 2167, not long after other new teams emerged or re-emerged due to the second space colonisation boom, that brought wealth, riches and above all new spaces to the countries of the ancient world. The Arabian Liga have put a lot of their "energy" currency into the research and development of its craft, and attracted a lot of star pilots by offering them gigantic sums of money. After their humiliating defeat at the hands of FEISAR in last year's world championships, which forced them to an early exit, they have vowed to take revenge and decisively win the title once and for all.

Origin: Arabian Liga
Year: 2167
Colour: light brown, dark green
Mass: light
Handling: 3
Shields: 2
Weapons: 5
Acceleration: 4
Speed: 3
Total: 20
(these totals are the sum of all handling, shield, weapon and acceleration statistics, with speed x2 added – all craft have a number ranging from 20 to 22)

1st Pilot: Fatima Rasheed
Nationality: Arabian
Length: 175cm
Weight: 60kg
Blood type: O+
FX5 ID: RASH0012-547.AQ
Grid position: #29
History: Military testing pilot for the Arabian Liga. Known for her disdain for male opponents and men in general, but specifically her team mate Pjotr Medjevenko.

2nd Pilot: Pjotr Medjevenko
Nationality: Ukrainian
Length: 186cm
Weight: 87kg
FX5 ID: VELA5017-669.AQ
Grid position: #36
History: Frustrated and aggressive pilot who has been repeatedly sanctioned by the FX5 Liga, but remains hugely popular in his home country. Also a notorious computer hacker.

Assessment:
Al-Qahira is primarily intended for the lower intermediate player, with an average handling and speed, and a good acceleration. Its low mass and low shields make it an ideal target for ramming strategies, however. Offensively Al-Qahira relies on a superior weapon strength, which gives it some muscle in weapon showdowns, before an opponent would get the chance to exploit the craft's weaknesses.

2. Assegai Developments

FX5 press release: Assegai Developments was forced to become independent again from its mother company, Pirhana Advancements, after a successful lawsuit of Auricom Industries against it. Despite accusations made by several tabloids and researchers alike, Pirhana and Assegai currently maintain no friendly ties, and do not help each other in developing weapons and craft. Assegai are famous for their opulent, fresh image and their quick, sneaky racing style which makes them especially loved in the African youth's underground environments.

Origin: Central-African Union [CAU]
Year: 2113
Colour: khaki, light-blue
Handling: 5
Shields: 1
Weapons: 4
Acceleration: 3
Speed: 4
Total: 21

1st Pilot: Eugène Kabotu
Nationality: Central-African (Congolese)
Length: 221cm
Weight: 116kg
Blood type: A-
FX5 ID: KABO8952-010.AS
Grid position: #7
History: Rich African aristocrat who races purely for fun, and donates all money he receives from races to charitable organisations. Few doubt that he is the most loved AG-racer in the world.

2nd Pilot: Markus Götten
Nationality: European (Austrian)
Length: 183cm
Weight: 79kg
Blood type: B+
FX5 ID: GOET3488-110.AS
Grid position: #11
History: Youngest racer on the grid, but with a steadily growing reputation as a silent, hard worker, and a loyal teammate to Kabotu..

Assessment:
Assegai remains the craft of choice for an expert player, who sacrifices shield technology to the magical combination of powerful weapons, superior handling and a high top speed. The craft is ideally suited for stealth tactics and defensive playing.

3. AG-Systems

FX5 press release:After internal difficulties arose within G-Tech's inner circles of management, a few rebels decided to re-establish AG-Systems about a decade ago, which G-Tech had legally acquired in the fifties. In spite of bitter juridical fights with G-Tech, the risen phoenix of AG-S became a success story which inspired a lot of poets and artists to financially and artistically support the independent initiative. Claiming to have given the free spirit of Belmondo a new élan, AG-S stands for everything rebellious and avant-garde in the racing world.

Origin: Japan
Year: 2017 (re-established 2163)
Colour: white, red
Handling: 4

1st Pilot: Julia Lavender
Nationality: Novon
Length: 170cm
Weight: 56kg
Blood type: E+
FX5 ID: LAVE8962-052.AG
Grid position: #8
History: Daughter of poor colonists on planet Novon. Eccentric character, both in racing style and off-track. Allegedly had an affair with her teammate Takamitsu.

2nd Pilot: Akira Takamitsu
Nationality: Japanese
Weight: 73kg
Blood type: O-
FX5 ID: TAKA3033-852.AG
Grid position: #16
History: Next to being a talented racer, Takamitsu is also a haiku poet, and lived in several zen monastries for ten years, which explains his inner calm and steadiness on the racing track.

Assessment:
One could mark AG-S as a "light" version of Assegai, with fewer extremes. It is more of an offensive craft than Assegai, but also has a light handling and mass, combined with weapon technology that is very experimental but effective. An ideal choice for the advanced pilot.

4. Auricom Industries

FX5 press release: Auricom is still proud to be one of the longest continually exisiting teams in the history of anti-gravity racing, but have in the recent decade suffered a few major blows, which almost caused their own demise. After they successfully won a lawsuit against Pirhana Advancements in 2155, one of their testing facilities went up in flames, and their shares slumped at an alarming rate. Next to that, the company was beginning to have an image problem. However, three years ago the management changed, and new pilots were hired, The situation has been steadily improving since then, and the team looks to the future optimistically.

Origin: United States of America [USA]
Year: 2025
Colour: deep blue, red
Mass: heavy
Shields: 3
Weapons: 3

1st Pilot: Jacques Armand
Nationality: Canadese
Length: 180cm
Weight: 82kg
Blood type: AB+
FX5 ID: ARMA1745-543.AU
Grid position: #21
History: Used to be a professional cook before entering the FX5 Liga, and is considered a multi-talented and sharp pilot by Auricom's management. Is generally assumed to be about to enter his best racing season yet.

2nd Pilot: Gia Verrões
Nationality: European (Portuguese)
Length: 164cm
Weight: 48kg
FX5 ID: VERR23571-753.AU
Grid position: #27
History: Made an impressive debut last year. Is especially going to go down history as one of the shortest AG-pilots ever, and is known for her wild fits of anger.

Assessment:
Auricom is the perfect choice for the intermediate player, and combines the average stats of every craft into one model. What it excels in is speed and weight, making it a good choice for offensive, craft-to-craft racing. Tends to be a little boring in the end though.

Next to follow: Emerald, EG-R, Feisar and G-Tech

Vasudeva
2nd June 2002, 11:05 AM
5. Emerald Limited

FX5 Liga press release:Emerald Ltd. is also one of the newer teams. Many believed that their craft would never make it through the first testing rounds in the FX2 Liga, but with fierce determination, they did manage, and have been part of the eightteen selected AG teams each year since 2168. The team's management is expecting a breakthrough this year in the prestations of both of their pilots, who are celebrated stars and idols at home in India.

Origin: India
Year: 2162
Colour: green
Mass: medium
Shields: 4
Weapons: 1

1st Pilot: Pandit Madhyamika
Nationality: Indian
Length: 176cm
Blood type: A+
FX5 ID: BHAG8844-125.EM
Grid position: #18
History: An active practitioner of yoga, Madhyamika's racing style is a combination of utmost concentration and patience, and only uses weapons to defend himself.

2nd Pilot: Daniel Saunders
Nationality: American
Length: 184cm
Weight: 85kg
Blood type: B-
FX5 ID: SAUN5570-000.EM
Grid position: #23
History: Formerly a rogue space mercenary, Saunders was spotted and picked up by Emerald agents on Novon. The rest of his past and present remain an enigma to all.

Assessment:
The Emerald ship offers the same speed-handling combination as AG, but links it to a much better shield. However, the poor weapon technology makes the craft unsuited for combattive racing, and forces it to rely more on its technical advantages. Suited for intermediate players.

6. EG-R Technologies

FX5 Liga press release:: EG-R have kept the public's imaginations enthralled ever since they were formed. While its racing successes have been far and in between hithereto, the craft's details nor those of the pilots have ever been given away to the public, and are probably one of the best kept secrets in the word. In spite of all speculations, no decisive information has been given away by the Chinese government that could help solve the riddles. A fact is that their pilots are extremely co-operative, and are always right there to help one another.

Origin: China
Year:
Colour: grey, bordeaux
Shields: 5
Weapons: 2

1st Pilot: Paul Cheung
Nationality: Unknown
Length: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Blood type: Unknown
FX5 ID: CHEU5821-142.EG
Grid position: #25
History: Unknown. Any and all investigations have failed.

2nd Pilot: Li Chang
Nationality: Unknown
Length: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Blood type: Unknown
FX5 ID: CHAN6007-854.EG
Grid position: #26
History: Unknown. Any and all investigations have failed.

Assessment:
The EG-R-ship is advised to be used by advanced beginners. It offers maximum shield power and fast acceleration, while maintaining decent speeds and a stable handling. Its weak weapons system, however, is its true weak spot. The best racing tactic to follow with the EG-R is to keep a steady and stable focus with an occasional boost.

7. FEISAR Consortium

FX5 Liga press release: FEISAR is, like Auricom, another dinosaur in the AG business. Although during the first decades wildly popular in Europe, they have gotten concurrence from other European teams such as Van-Uber and Xios, which left FEISAR with a mild hangover. However, the all-star European Consortium was stimulated by this to improve its prestations and attract better pilots, which have resulted in last year's spectacular races where FEISAR eliminated Al-Qahira in the first rounds.

Origin: European Union [EU]
Year: 2017
Colour: yellow, light blue
Acceleration: 5
Speed: 2

1st Pilot: Claus Gaarder
Nationality: European (Belgian)
Weight: 76kg
FX5 ID: GAAR5874-961.FE
Grid position: #33
History: Was voted as last year's "most boring pilot in the FX5 Liga", in spite of his successes for the team. His true passion off-track is bass fishing. It helps him forget everything else.

2nd Pilot: Irina Mlevic
Nationality: European (Croatian)
Weight: 62kg
FX5 ID: MLEV8972-003.FE
Grid position: #35
History: Glamour pilot. Loves taking reckless risks, and is very ambitious to take over Gaarder's position as 1st pilot on the team.

Assessment:
FEISAR is the ideal choice for beginners new to the game, to safely explore the different tracks and modes. Despite weak weapons and a poor top speed, the craft absolutely stands out in shield technology and acceleration, which gives, in combination with the light mass and the easy handling, a craft that can hold its own in a peleton of other opponents.

8. G-Tech Communications

FX5 Liga press release:After G-Tech's hesitant debut and its bitter fight within its own ranks, which resulted in the resurrection of AG-Systems, the high-tech imperium known for its gadgets and gaming consoles, decided to persevere after all, with as glorious apex its victory of the world championships in 2172. Ever since, G-Tech has been widely acknowledged as a great team, and in its home base Japan, it is now equally popular to its eternal foe AG-S.

Origin: Japan
Year: 2150
Colour: grey, purple

1st Pilot: William Jackson
Nationality: European (British)
Length: 195cm
Weight: 87kg
Blood type: AB+
FX5 ID: JACK7391-258.GT
Grid position: #19
History: Claims descendancy from the infamous 21st-century FEISAR pilot Paul Jackson. Has an unpredictable character, and openly defies the FX5 Liga.

2nd Pilot: Moise Mbeki
Nationality: Central-African (Ugandese)
Length: 189cm
Weight: 86kg
FX5 ID: MBEK1243-687.GT
Grid position: #22
History: Former 2nd pilot of Assegai, and self-declared rival of Eugène Kabotu. Writer of dark, ambiguous prose and poetry. Very popular on the Japanese gay scene.

Assessment:
G-Tech are suited craft for the "lower intermediate". They make for a compact, solid ship that will not be easily swept away from the track due to their good shield power, acceleration and weapon technology. Their handling and top speed are not exhilarating, but never disappoint, which makes G-Tech a trustworthy choice.

Next to follow: Goteki45°, ICARAS, Boomerang and Omnitek

Vasudeva
2nd June 2002, 11:11 AM
9. Goteki45°

FX5 Liga press release: When the island facilities of Goteki45° were bombed and destroyed by unknown terrorists in 2137, everyone believed it had meant the end of Goteki45° and their cynical, ruthless presence on the racing track. Great was the surprise – and consternation – when the company returned out of the blue in 2157, twenty years after the obliteration of their own island, and obtained a new FX5 license. Their management was still largely the same, and their fear-inspiring team tactics were still the same. Goteki45° is infamous for its "elimination policy", and has made itself the greatest enemy of Van-Über.

Origin: South Sea Confederation [SSC]
Year: 2095
Colour: yellow, black

1st Pilot: Raphael della Quercia
Nationality: European (Italian)
Weight: 70kg
FX5 ID: DELL1675-951.GO
Grid position: #30
History: Nostalgic, melodramatic personality. Is always dressed in black, and wears masks for no appearant reason. Insists on having classical music in his cockpit.

2nd Pilot: Alane Motaki
Nationality: Polynesian (Nauru)
Length: 177cm
Weight: 62kg
FX5 ID: MOTA2648-973.GO
Grid position: #34
History: Daughter of Goteki45°'s boss Richard Motaki. Although overrated, has a considerable talent. Spoiled and difficult character to manage. Married six times already.

Assessment:
Goteki45° is good for beginners who "like it rough". Their handling, shields and acceleration are all excellent, but what truly makes them stand out, even among the traditionally technologically more superior crafts, is their destructive weapons system, which makes up for their lack of speed and refinement. Why should the Goteki45° be fast if all the rest is dead?

10. ICARAS International

FX5 Liga press release:The ancient team ICARAS, operational during the twenties and thirties, was notorious for its "paper excellence". Technologically it was the fastest ship at the time, but few pilots could manage to control the craft, and the team, led by an eccentric millionaire, went out as quickly as the mythological Ikaros. In 2170, the idea of the ultra-fast, offensive craft was reborn in the icy colonies of Antarctica, and the old name of ICARAS was adopted again. In contrast to their namesake, the team achieved a number of impressive victories, and is now a feared and respected candidate for the championship title of this year.

Origin: Antarctica
Year: 2109 (re-established 2170)
Colour: black, pink
Acceleration: 1
Speed: 5

1st Pilot: Mikhail Bukovski
Nationality: Antarctican
Length: 204cm
Weight: 95kg
FX5 ID: BUKO6497-133.IC
Grid position: #3
History: Cybernetically enhanced through a lot of microsurgical operations. A lot of parallels have been drawn between him and the legendary Kel Solaar, which he claims is his great example.

2nd Pilot: Osvald Nørkjell
Nationality: Antarctican
Length: 217cm
Weight: 98kg
FX5 ID: NOER9586-200.IC
Grid position: #6
History: Closed, introvert personality with a ferocious racing style. Prefers a primitive, simple lifestyle, and has many female fans. Like Bukovski, he wears cybernetic implants.

Assessment:
The combination of the enormous speed and the forceful weapons make the ICARAS craft a rampaging beast on the track. However, collision is a real and unrewarded danger, as the craft's shields are on the low side, and its engines take a while to get warmed up (again). However, a skilled expert pilot should be able to handle the ICARAS' raw power, and achieve any victory with it.

11. Boomerang Transports

FX5 Liga press release: Boomerang Transports originally started out as international and interstellar transport company of both goods and persons, but gradually turned its attention to cars and motor cycles, to eventually get into the AG races as well. Boomerang are known for their originality and refreshing style, and are hugely popular among surfers and stairsailors.

Origin: Australia
Year: 2139
Colour: light blue, grey
Handling: 2

1st Pilot: Tanya Rhodes
Nationality: Australian
Length: 178cm
Weight: 69kg
FX5 ID: RHOD6677-005.BO
Grid position: #24
History: Former test pilot for Auricom, and fervent environmentalist. Said to be, along with Markus Götten of Assegai, the young new talent of the AG races, and a potential champion in the making.

2nd Pilot: Saria Taharto
Nationality: Indonesian
Length: 170cm
Weight: 55kg
FX5 ID: TAHA2627-654.BO
Grid position: #28
History: Known for her stealth techniques and her underhand ways of achieving victories against other opponents. Technically gifted and very resourceful. Allegedly had a short-lived romance with Takamitsu from AG-S.

Assessment:
The heavy shields of the Boomerang craft make this, once it gets going with its average acceleration, a "gentle dragon", as the team management calls it. Speedy and strong, but without the roaring fire that accompanies it. For the upper intermediate.

12. Omn¡tek Unlimited

FX5 Liga press release: The Martian team Omn¡tek is the first team not from Earth to ever enter the Liga, if the failed Lunar AG team from 2166 is not taken into account. It immediately made a startling impression, through its impressive technology, skilled pilots and bewildering racing style. The management is driven by strange religious motivations, and frequently broadcasts philosophical communiquées rather than actual information.

Origin: Mars
Year: 2172
Colour: white, cyan
Acceleration: 2
Total: 22

1st Pilot: Zsa Zsa Habrest
Nationality: European (Hungarian)
Length: 177cm
Weight: 71kg
FX5 ID: HABR4390-444.OM
Grid position: #4
History: Dark and complicated personality. A lot of grudge against the FX5 Liga management, which she blames for the death of her father, a popular pilot back in the forties. Control freak beyond measure, and fervent adept of the Omn¡tek religion.

2nd Pilot: David Phylax
Nationality: Martian
Length: 197cm
Weight: 90kg
Blood type: E-
FX5 ID: PHYL1623-208.OM
Grid position: #9
History: Unknown. Strong religious convinctions.

Assessment:
The Omn¡tek craft are a lighter version of the ICARAS in a few aspects. Although they are just as blisteringly fast, their shields and acceleration are better, at the expense of a slightly weaker weapons choice. However, this is in turn compensated by its weight, which makes the craft a feared opponent in ramming duels. Only to be handled by the experts.

Next to follow (probably at a later time): Pirhana, Tigron, Qirex and Transvaal.

rhys
2nd June 2002, 11:47 AM
the detail on these ships is amazing!

reading the history of the ships is really cool!
i cant wait for the re 8) st, keep it comin!!!!

Vasudeva
2nd June 2002, 02:25 PM
13. Pirhana Advancements

FX5 Liga press release:Pirhana Advancements have known a few blacker years since their two "golden eras" in the nineties of the 21st and the fifties of the 22nd century, having lost a lawsuit against Auricom Industries, and having their star pilots either retreat from racing or being killed in the races. The catastrophes resulted in the death of Aries Piemonte, the team's charismatic leader. After years of hard work, however, Pirhana have returned, and narrowly missed out on the world title last year by finishing second.

Origin: Brazil
Year: 2060
Colour: red

1st Pilot: Taurus Piemonte
Nationality: Brazilian
Length: 200cm
Blood type: AB-
FX5 ID: PIEM5000-573.PI
Grid position: #2
History: Son of the deceased Aries Piemonte, former leader of the team. Laid-back and introspective off-track, heated and intense on track, this man seems to be made for racing.

2nd Pilot: Estella Sanchez
Nationality: Argentinian
Length: 171cm
Weight: 58kg
FX5 ID: SANC1001-808.PI
Grid position: #15
History: National heroine. Oddly enough, her true ambition is to become a singer and an actress after her racing career.

Assessment:
Everything about Pirhana is almost perfect, except for its weapons, which are relatively weak. This indicates the company's return to their roots when they debuted in 2097, but this time without making the mistake of sacrificing their weapons. Despite these impressive numbers, the Pirhana craft may be too much to handle at once in the hands of the inexperienced. For masters only.

14. Qirex [RD]

FX5 Liga press release:Qirex [RD] symbolised the Russian golden century of industrial and economical revival deep into the 22nd century, and was the most successful team for years, led by star pilots such as Kel Solaar, whose legacy can hardly be underestimated. When the Russian economy collapsed and regional tensions wreaked havoc all across the country, Qirex disappeared under the flag of the corrupt Tigron. However, when the Russian Federation arose back from the ashes, so did its pet team Qirex, under heavy pressure from the FX5 Liga and Auricom Industries, which judged Tigron's acquirement of Qirex illegal. Now the team is back again, and determined to reclaim its place in AG history.

Origin: Russian Federation
Year: 2041
Colour: purple, deep blue

1st Pilot: Arkadina Trigorin
Nationality: Russian
Length: 176cm
FX5 ID: TRIG1234-567.QI
Grid position: #5
History: Known as "the Ice Queen". Relies on a mystical symbiosis between craft and pilot. Has a lot of male fans.

2nd Pilot: Kostas Konstantinos
Nationality: European (Greek)
Length: 182cm
Weight: 84kg
FX5 ID: KONS5833-477.QI
Grid position: #14
History: Former member of the European military forces in the Vegan system, but discovered there as talented fighter pilot by Qirex scouts. Has a long, mysterious rivarly with Daniel Saunders from Emerald.

Assessment:
Qirex are heavy craft, often described as being "brick". To an extent that's true. Once they get going, which is pretty fast, few things will dare to stand in their way. However, their difficult handling gives rise to problems in the hands of the newbie. Just like the Pirhana craft, only experts should handle this craft.

15. Tigron Concern

FX5 Liga press release: Their reputation heavily damaged after the reinstatement of the Russian democracy and their chastising by the Liga, Tigron have gone out of racing for a few years, only to return again with exactly the same tactics and effective technology as before. Its management is still suspected to be highly corrupt and malafid, and they have sworn to defeat their arch-enemies Auricom Industries in battle, and to re-acquire their "brothers" at Qirex. It is obvious that Qirex thinks otherwise of this. In spite of all of this, they still have loyal supporters, who welcome the "brutally honest" style of Tigron amidst the political correctness of the others.

Origin: Russian Federation
Year:
Colour: black, yellow
Acceleration: 2

1st Pilot: Abdel Seyaz
Nationality: Kazach
Length: 179cm
FX5 ID: SEYA2328-074.TI
Grid position: #17
History: Former space pilot, and winner of various illegal AG contests before entering the official circuits. Cruel and vicious character.

2nd Pilot: Anna Krakov
Nationality: Russian
Weight: 59kg
FX5 ID: KRAK2866-145.TI
Grid position: #20
History: Unknown. Had something to do with the former Russian intelligence.

Assessment:Combining the rare gifts of high speed, strong shields and dangerous weaponry, Tigron is the ideal choice for the aggressive player. The craft can deal a few hard hits, as well as take a few. Being the raging bull that it is, it can play up in the handling, and the acceleration is rather slow, as well. Nevertheless, when tamed correctly, the Tigron craft is a powerful weapon.

16. Transvaal Enterprises

FX5 Liga press release: Transvaal Enterprises, based in South Africa, is the second African team to enter the Liga, and although it claims to follow the tradiontal policies of the bigger teams like FEISAR or Auricom, its style is definitely more manipulative and bent on elimination rather than smooth victories. However, Transvaal, run by the interplanetary business mogul John Vanderwijck, is steadily becoming more popular

Origin: South-Africa
Year: 2160
Colour: deep blue, green

1st Pilot: Marlène Vossen
Nationality: South-African
Weight: 55kg
FX5 ID: VOSS2244-637.TR
Grid position: #32
History: First trainee from the infamous pilot school of ex-pilot Omar from Tigron. Manipulative and destructive personality, keen on draining information, life and shield energy out of others.

2nd Pilot: Kate Beaks
Length: 169cm
Weight: 52kg
FX5 ID: SANC1001-808.PI
Grid position: #31
History: To her great frustration, was denied the place of 1st pilot despite better results in last year's championship. Dedicated and fanatic, but greedy racer.

Assessment:
Transvaal is the logical next step after starting with the FEISAR craft. While its acceleration is slightly slower, all the other stats are virtually identical, with the exception of stronger weapons, which may give the learning pilot that tiny edge in peleton battles.

Coming up: Van-Über and Xios.

Vasudeva
2nd June 2002, 02:49 PM
17. Van-Über GmbH

FX5 Liga press release: The name Van-Über is rightfully associated with what purists call a clean, spirited form of racing which was invented by Wolfgang Van-Über himself, fourfold champion of the AG races, and founder of the team that bears his name. These ethics have been enthusiastically followed by the other European teams, although the current Van-Über management is sceptic about this, as it sees more strife and hatred among the pilots and teams rather than cooperation; or intense but dirty competition.

Origin: European Union [EU], Germany
Year: 2127
Colour: orange, red
Weapons: 1

1st Pilot: Jeffrey Livingstone
Length: 179cm
Weight: 75kg
FX5 ID: LIVI5632-730.VA
Grid position: #10
History: Considers himself just a "freelance pilot", but the management is doing everything they can to keep him from signing off at the end of the season, as it is clear his talents are more than considerable.

2nd Pilot: Uma Thüringer
Nationality: European (German)
Weight: 58kg
Blood type: B+
FX5 ID: THUE0080-662.VA
Grid position: #13
History: Germany's new national hope to have a racing hero after Wolfgang Van-Über himself. Determined to make the best of her promising career.

Assessment:
The Van-Über ship is suited for the beginning expert. It makes its slogan "speed freaks" a concrete truth by its magnificent combo of top speed and an excellent acceleration. Its shields and handling are a solid average, but its weapons are – conform the Van-Über ethics – weak, and primarily aimed at defence.

18. Xios International

FX5 Liga press release: Xios is the current world champion, and has won the title a couple of times ever since its first seasons in the late forties. They owe their successes largely to their secretive technology, and the talented superstar Natasha Belmondo, a combination of contradictory talents and actions, but can count on a lot of popular support from the regular AG race visitor or spectator.

Origin: European Union [EU], Finland
Year: 2148
Colour: green, black

1st Pilot: Natasha Belmondo
Nationality: European (French)
Length: 167cm
Weight: 50kg
FX5 ID: BELM1243-401.XI
Grid position: #1
History: Current world champion. Happy and good-hearted according to some, childish and whiney according to others.

2nd Pilot: Mohammed Fesah
Nationality: Arabian (Maroccan)
Weight: 75kg
Blood type: AB-
FX5 ID: FESA2648-000.XI
Grid position: #12
History: Defected Al-Qahira pilot. No further information is known.

Assessment: Xios is a good choice when moving from lower to upper intermediate style. Its shields, weapons and accelerations are stable and steady, making it an okay craft in its own right, but it's the added extra of the superb handling and speed which makes the Xios craft stand out from the rest. An excellent winner's choice.

IV. Grid Positions

1. Natasha Belmondo: Xios 1st
2. Taurus Piemonte: Pirhana 1st
3. Mikhail Bukovski: ICARAS 1st
4. Zsa Zsa Habrest: Omn¡tek 1st
5. Arkadina Trigorin: Qirex 1st
6. Osvald Nørkjell: ICARAS 2nd
7. Eugène Kabotu: Assegai 1st
8. Julia Lavender: AG-S 1st
9. David Phylax: Omn¡tek 2nd
10. Jeffrey Livingstone: Van-Über 1st
11. Markus Götten: Assegai 2nd
12. Mohammed Fesah: Xios 2nd
13. Uma Thüringer: Van-Über 2nd
14. Kostas Konstantinos: Qirex 2nd
15. Estella Sanchez: Pirhana 2nd
16. Akira Takamitsu: AG-S 2nd
17. Abdel Seyaz: Tigron 1st
18. Pandit Madhyamani: Emerald 1st
19. William Jackson: G-Tech 1st
20. Anna Krakov: Tigron 2nd
21. Jacques Armand: Auricom 1st
22. Moise Mbeki: G-Tech 2nd
23. Daniel Saunders: Emerald 2nd
24. Tanya Rhodes: Boomerang 1st
25. Paul Cheung: EG-R 1st
26. Li Chang: EG-R 2nd
27. Gia Verrões: Auricom 2nd
28. Saria Taharto: Boomerang 2nd
29. Fatima Rasheed: Al-Qahira 1st
30. Raphael della Quercia: Goteki45° 1st
31. Kate Beaks: Transvaal 2nd
32. Marlène Vossen: Transvaal 1st
33. Claus Gaarder: FEISAR 1st
34. Alane Motaki : Goteki45° 2nd
35. Irina Mlevic: FEISAR 2nd
36. Pjotr Medjevenko: Al-Qahira 2nd

V. Weapons

There are seven general weapons which every team has, and are all equal. The damage is expressed in what percent of the shield energy the impact takes, supposed that the opponent's shield statistic is 5. Per number that the shield energy statistic goes down, add 10% to know the impact (for example, a Quake strips away 40% shield energy of a FEISAR craft, which has 5 as shield statistic; Assegai has 1, so on an Assegai the Quake will drain 80% of its shields).

The formula xx%/h that the weapon in question does xx% of damage per hit, if the weapon comes in larger quantities than one (e.g. mines). The formula xx%/s means that xx% damage per second is dealt.

1. Rockets: Same as in WO2. Three rockets fired into a straight line (20%/h)
2. Plasma Bolt: Same as in WO2/3. Death on impact. (100%)
3. Quake: Same as in WO2/3. Massive damage by a track quake. (40%)
4. Shield: Same as in WO3. A shield. Duh. (00%)
5. Reflector: Same as in WO3, but now only doesn't reflect Mines. (00%)
6. Power Load: Same as in WO2. Replenishes some shield energy. (15%+)
7. Autopilot: Same as in WO2/3. Takes you through the hardest parts. (00%)

Then, there are six other weapons per team. Some of them appear in other teams, too, of course, and are only discussed once.

1. Al-Qahira

i. Power Mines: Extra powerful version of the old-fashioned mines. (25%/h)
ii. Auto-Missile: Same as in WO2. With frontal or rear lock. (25%)
iii. Machine Gun: Fires about 20 powerful rounds at enemy craft. (05%/h)
iv. Thunderbomb: Same as in WO2. Massive damage for all craft visible. (55%)
v. Shield Pincher: Damages all nearby craft with a Shield activated. (30%)
vi. Heat Shield: Like a shield, but hits nearby flying craft in its radius. (15%/h)

2. AG-S

i. Laser Cannon: Extremely powerful and energetic. (80%)
ii. Power Mines (25%/h)
iii. Electrobolt: Destabilises targeted ship for about 5s. (05%/s)
iv. Speed Booster: As in WO1/2. (00%)
v. Radar: Detects cloaked ships for about 30s. Permits weapon usage (00%)
vi. Full Load: Fully replenishes shield energy. (100%+)

3. Assegai

i. Micro Missiles: A swarm of small missiles lock on to several targets (05%/h)
ii. Auto-Missile (25%)
iii. Auto-Gun: Has a total of five shots to automatically fire at nearby ships. (20%/h)
iv. Energy Drain: As in WO3. Beware: a Reflector can reverse this weapon. (05%/s)
v. Weapon Drain: Steals weapon from a nearby, locked-on craft. (00%)
vi. Cloak: As in WO3. Now permits weapons to be fired while invisible. (00%)

4. Auricom

i. Laser Cannon (80%)
ii. Frontal Shockwave: Pushes ships in front straight forward. (10%)
iii. Rear Shockwave: Pushes ships behind straight backwards. (10%)
iv. Auto-Missile (25%)
v. Radar (00%)
vi. Sonic Wave: Removes Shields, Absorbers and Re- and Deflectors (00%)

5. Boomerang

i. Auto-Missile (25%)
ii. Mines: The normal WO-mines as we know them. (10%/h)
iii. Electrobolt (05%/s)
iv. Boomeradar: An EMP shows all stealth crafts for a second and damages them (25%)
v. Pit Drain: Pit lanes become red for one round, draining shields. (00%)
vi. Cloak (00%)

6. EG-R

i. Auto-Missile (25%)
ii. Auto-Gun (20%/h)
iii. Sideblade: Momentous blades lash out on the sides, hitting close ships. (15%)
iv. Invincibility: For ten seconds, no weapon can hit or affect the ship. (00%)
v. Shield Boost: Shield energy is doubled for a period of 30s. (xx%) x 2
vi. Cloak (00%)

7. Emerald

i. Mines (10%/h)
ii. Electrobolt (05%/s)
iii. Emerald Ray: Hits all craft right in front or right behind the ship. (15%)
iv. Force Wall: Same as in WO3 (02%)
v. Cloak (00%)
vi. Deflector: Causes all auto-weapons to be fired at targeted ship rather than you. (00%)

8. FEISAR

i. Taser: Deactivates airbrakes of hit craft for 15s (10%)
ii. Auto-Missile (25%)
iii. Super Missile: With front or rear lock. More powerful than the normal one (35%)
iv. Minesweeper: Removes all Mines on track (00%)
v. Radar (00%)
vi. Speed Booster: (00%)

9. G-Tech

i. Auto-Missile (25%)
ii. Cosmic Snare: Fired in straight line, causing massive damage on impact (45%)
iii. Electrobolt (05%/s)
iv. Force Wall (02%)
v. Sideblades (15%)
vi. Deflector (00%)

10. Goteki45°

i. Machine Gun (05%/h)
ii. Thunder Bomb (55%)
iii. Sideswiper: Permanently activates sideblades to cause mayhem on contact. Can be deactivated. (07%/h)
iv. Smart Mines: Normal Mines, but invisible. Can be detected by radars. (10%)
v. Timebomb: Auto-locks on target, and when connected, detonates on command. (30%)
vi. Shield Pincher (30%)

11. ICARAS

i. Rear Quake: Same as the normal Quake, but backwards (40%)
ii. Twin Laser: Two powerful rays of energy fired into a straight line (25%)
iii. Thunderbomb (55%)
iv. Time Lapse: Rear-locks. Slows down targeted craft for about 3s. (00%)
v. Deactivator: Deactivates all active weapons. (00%)
vi. Full Load (100%+)

12. Omn¡tek

i. Electronet: Throws a net around the closest ship behind you, and drags it around for 5s (08%)
ii. Absorber: The damage weapons fired at the ship would normally do is turned into new shield energy instead. (00%)
iii. Mind Control: For 3 seconds, you also control the targeted craft. (00%)
iv. Auto-Missile (25%)
v. Energy Drain (05%/s)
vi. Cloak (00%)

13. Pirhana

i. Mines (10%/h)
ii. Auto-Missile (25%)
iii. Deflector (00%)
iv. Speed Booster (00%)
v. Shield Booster (00%)
vi. Cloak (00%)

14. Qirex

i. Taser (15%)
ii. Twin Laser (25%)
iii. Auto-Missile (25%)
iv. Power Mines (20%/h)
v. Rear Quake (40%)
vi. Analyser: Analyses the locked-on craft's statistics and pilot (00%)

15. Tigron

i. Power Mines (20%/h)
ii. Machine Gun (05%/h)
iii. Sideswiper (07%/h)
iv. Kamikaze: The craft launches itself on the closest nearby ship (-25%) (40%)
v. Shield Pincher (30%)
vi. Neuron Bomb: Slow, small bomb without auto-lock. Kills pilot. (100%)

16. Transvaal

i. Mines (10%/h)
ii. Electrobolt (05%/s)
iii. Harpoon: Attaches your craft to another one for 5s, gaing free speed (12%)
iv. Speed Booster (00%)
v. Heat Shield (05%/h)
vi. Cloak (00%)

17. Van-Über

i. Weapon Jammer: Auto-locks on nearby craft. Forbids use of weapons for 30sec (00%)
ii. Deactivator (00%)
iii. Deflector (00%)
iv. Force Wall: (02%)
v. Analyser (00%)
vi. Full Load (100%+)

18. Xios

i. Auto-Missile (25%)
ii. Vortex Booster: Shock front boosting your own ship, and that of others out of the way (08%)
iii. Neutron Bomb: Straight line firing only. Deactivates opponent's ship (100%)
iv. Pit Deactivation: Pit Lane is deactivated for one round. (00%)
v. Radar (00%)
vi. Cloak (00%)

Vasudeva
2nd June 2002, 02:50 PM
Okay, finished!

Bring the comments and/or criticism on!

Peace,
V.

Bob Todd
2nd June 2002, 02:59 PM
Bloody hell, that's amazing!

Can I add to that? I think that the music system should be like SSX Tricky's; each circuit has 3 music tracks, and the music changes depending on how well you're doing.

To take another leaf out of SSX Tricky's book, I think the pilot profiles should be far more detailed, with a backstory and an interview. To save space on the game disc, all this information, plus any other bonus stuff, could be on a separate disc; ad idea I've put forward before. The bonus disc could read your memory card, and only allow you to look at some of its content, depending on how far you have progessed in the game.

I'd also like to see one or two circuits in Britain; that one in the Stop The Track advert would be ace; looping through Tower Bridge and past the Eye, Imax and Houses of Parliament.

rhys
2nd June 2002, 04:02 PM
very impressive indeed!!!!

i love all the weapons :D

u really should send all that stuff off 2 studio liverpool 8) #

right, now for my idea. a little like pa's.

instead of being able 2 choose any craft for any race, you have 2 choose 1 craft at the start, and get a contract with them. you cant move teams untill another pilot loses his/her contract. therefore, making team loyalties stronger. also, there should be a very strong story behind all the pilots, like likes and dislikes made very obvious. eg, cut scenes after races.

that and all of your ideas is what i would like 2 see :D

Lance
2nd June 2002, 05:00 PM
the idea of using point totals to equalise the overall strengths of the ships is a good one. the ship performance would have to be tested during game development to make sure the theoretical valuations of each class of characteristics are correct so as to ensure the actual ship strength equality.

the idea of temperature variations affecting speed of shield drain makes no sense to me. while it is true that fairly small variations in temperature such as those created by weather can affect microeletronic control systems [which are in practice put in temperature-controlled environments to eliminate the problem], actual field-generating hardware would only be affected by massive variations of temperature that would lead to insulation breakdown or melting of actual components. this would result not in gradual loss, but in near-instantaneous failure, which in any case, would not happen because of weather variation.

i like that you have chosen a single weather condition for each circuit. this gives a set of consistent conditions that makes racetimes for different players have a fixed-base relevance to each other, thus making valid times tables possible.

i dislike being forced to use a particular ship as a beginning pilot. i much prefer the method of wip3out, but if you really must make it a more realistic simulation, allow for the fact that in real life, novice drivers can be considered for every team, based on their past performance in lesser leagues. they are not simply assigned to a specific team.

you've devoted a lot of detailed thinking to the project. good work!

____lance

rhys
2nd June 2002, 05:23 PM
i didnt mean that u were forced to use a beginner ship. you sould have access to nearly all the ships at the start and leave some secret ones to unlock. that way you could sign a contract with a certain ship and stay there till another place becomes available.

i also dont really like the idea of heat affecting ships shields, it might become annoying in game.

Lance
2nd June 2002, 05:29 PM
it wasn't a reply to you , rhys; it was a comment on vasudeva's proposed racing structure. if i have read it correctly, the player must begin as the lowest-ranked driver for a specific team

rhys
2nd June 2002, 06:01 PM
aaaaahhhhhhh, i see. ok lance :D

i didnt read ALL of vaduseva's ideas, there were so many of them!!! 8)

this was because i was in a hurry, i was about 2 have tea :lol: !

Bob Todd
2nd June 2002, 07:20 PM
Neuron Bomb KILLS PILOT?! Not sure about that one!

Vasudeva
2nd June 2002, 08:35 PM
Hello all,

Thanks for the comments and compliments everyone! I'll adress everyone seperately in this little posting...

@ Rhys:

I heard from another Wiper (forgot who) that when the big game companies get ideas sent in by fans, they are automatically sent down the recycle bin. The reason they allegedly do this, is not to get into any legal trouble later, should they accidentally (or unaccidentally) use one of that fan's ideas. But you never know who's listening here :).

As for your contract idea, I have toyed with that idea as well, but building a story around 36 racers and 18 teams is rather difficult. I personally think that Wipe'Out" would be better served by an atmospheric but limited story.

Thanks for the compliments!

@ Pyro Annarchy

Your suggestion for the music is a very good one, but I see one problem. Some songs take a while to get to their essence or best part, and could be spoiled abruptly when a certain speed limit is crossed. But there could be a way around this, of course (e.g. introducing the music difference per class?).

About any UK tracks. Well, it doesn't always have to be the big countries getting all the best bits does it 8). Just kidding, the UK is a great country. A tour around the Tower and all would perhaps be a bit far-fetched, though. I'm not sure if they would build a football stadion under the Eiffel Tower, or build an F1-Track around the Kremlin.

I like the bonus disc idea, but as I said to Rhys, perhaps "less is more". I feel there should be some room left for fantasy, as well. Ah, and yes, the Neuron Bomb disables a pilot's brain activity. Tigron play it dirty.

I've visited your site, by the way. Nice work!

@Lance

Thanks for your comments, they were very insightful.

I inserted the concept of temperature influence on the craft more as a nice touch than a truly serious idea. Good to know that it isn't that influential at all; I'm by far no expert on that terrain. However, I can imagine that on my imagined track Ishtar Terra (Venus), where temperatures average about 470°C, one's craft could begin to melt 8) (sunglass mode) . I'll need to work on this concept further, though, and certainly in relation to the actual shield phenomenon I realise that I went wrong.

As for the gradual team thing, I did this to prevent newbies from immediately picking a craft they don't "deserve" to be flying. Of course, the pros will find this frustrating, but it should give a player the chance to become familiar with all craft rather than specialised with only one. Agreed that it may be a tad unrealastic.

And of course, some ship stats should be actually tested to see how they actually work. I tried to be as fair as possible, but especially in the weapons department some discussion is certainly possible. Most certainly, the more speedy craft always have that little something extra. And three craft are definitely a little better than the rest, topping 22 as total score (Qirex, Pirhana and Omnitek).

Thanks for the input and comments everyone!

Peace,
V.

rhys
2nd June 2002, 09:16 PM
thats really unfair. why should ideas get deleted, isnt that y they r sent, 2 be used!!!!??? :evil:

i think that they should listen and use fans ideas, they would make much better games that way!!!!! :-?

stin
2nd June 2002, 09:44 PM
thats really unfair. why should ideas get deleted, isnt that y they r sent, 2 be used!!!!??? :evil:

i think that they should listen and use fans ideas, they would make much better games that way!!!!! :-?

Yeah you right rhys especialy what you said about ideas get deleted cos its not fair what they do.

Mind you they prefer the original rather from the fans` ideas!.

Stin.

Lance
2nd June 2002, 10:56 PM
there's no reason the newbies have to suffer. i am definitely not a pro, especially not at any new game. i may be an elitist snob, but i have enough sympathy for humans in general to feel that even the rankest newbies deserve a choice. they have to pay just as much time and money for a game as anyone else, and if they choose a ship that is beyond their current ability to drive well, they will not be rewarded by advancement till they learn to drive it or choose an easier ship. the difficulty will enforce itself according to the player's innate ability. creating an artificial block is unfair to both the skilled and the unskilled. and it involves the arrogant assumption on the part of game designers that they know best; and i'm sure that you've discovered by your own experience of other designers games that they do in fact make mistakes either deliberately or by accidental neglect.

sorry for the longwinded speech, but i feel strongly that people should be allowed to decide for themselves what is best for them, and should not decide what is best for other people.

about the ship performance, if it is the goal to equalise overall excellence while giving each ship its own individual performance style, ALL values for the speed and handling characteristics would have to be tested. i realise that this is a fantasy project [though if you have sufficient interest and drive, you might make a similar game commercially available one day with your own copyrighted designs and trademarked names], but you have gone into such detail about this as to make it a thoroughly thought out effort, so i am just being likewise thorough and serious in my discussion since your own effort warrants it. :)
and i believe you have the ability to defend your own viewpoints by reasoning

Bob Todd
3rd June 2002, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the comment on my site, Vasu; nice to know I'm getting something right!

And regarding the music; if you listen to the music tracks in SSX Tricky separately (using the Jukebox option), and then listen to them in-game, they sound quite different, because in-game it is mixed with two other tracks. When the music changes, it does not do so abruptly, but very smoothly changes into another song, as though a DJ was mixing it. Check it out; it's a top game that's very worth getting.

And Infox, no kidding here, I think there should be a whole FORUM for this. We have one for evolving the site, why not one for speculating on future titles? It'd be easier to comment on different aspects of the game if they were in different topics, I think.

Hybrid Divide
3rd June 2002, 08:11 PM
Pardon me,
(Everything sounds GREAT by the way.)

But, where are the Wipeout 64 Tracks? Such classics as "Sokana" "Terafumos", and "Velocitar" should be considered too! (The others too closely resemble tracks from previous Wipeouts.

Just trying to help!

Keep up the insanely good work!

Vagrant Logic OUT

FoxZero
4th June 2002, 01:26 AM
i second pyro's idea of a new part of the forum based on game ideas.. perhaps it coudl be extended to include conversation about other racing games? maybe not.. maybe would defeat the purpose of general discussion hehe

Task
4th June 2002, 02:11 AM
Well, I hope you're looking for comments, 'cause boy have I got lots! 8 D

Wow, is that ever a lot of tracks.
I like how you used the classes (Alpha through Omega) to divide up the massive number of tracks into easier-to-manage <= 8 track chunks, but I think you should definitely fill up each class to 8. Epsilon and Omega are a little short, I'm sure you can add a couple, probably from WO64. 8 )
However, since you've got those 6 classes, does that mean that you no longer have the 4 speed classes of Vector, Venom, Rapier, Phantom? I don't think dropping the speed classes would be a very good idea. Although I can imagine reasons to restrict certain tracks to "faster than Vector" or "slower than Phantom", I don't think it's a good idea. Any given track that I've unlocked, I want to be able to race it in all speed classes.
Most likely, you planned on using the four speed classes and used the word "class" when you might have been better off with the word "league". WO3:SE has The Wipeout League and The Classic League to divide the 16 tracks into two 8 track divisions, and that idea works well with me.
Next up: Wow, is that ever a lot of teams.
WO1 had 8 pilots. WO3 had 12 pilots on the track at any given time. Fusion goes up to 16. Racing WO1, the tracks do feel a little "empty". WO3 is sometimes a little bit on the crowded side, but becomes extremely empty after the first lap. To get 16 pilots comfortably on the track at once in Fusion, they widened the track to 4 lanes. You propose 36 pilots. Are you planning on widening the course again? If that's what you were thinking, you could probably put entire houses in the middle of the track as obstacles. Take the shortcut through the Findleys living room... 8 P
I somehow doubt that that was your intention.
Therefore, I am lead to the assumption that only 16 out of 36 pilots can be on the track at any given point in time. I'll bet that that doesn't sit well with at least 2 of the 18 teams!
Ever since WO3, the F(whatever) has held to the hard and fast rule of "there shall be 8 teams". Now, an interesting idea here would be that each team can only be registered for at most 3 classes, and there's only 8 teams registered per class. The downside to that is of course that you just can't race your favourite team on all the tracks you please. I could live with that. I think there's a deeper problem here though, I think 18 teams is too many. As much as I love Qirex (and you'd be hard pressed to find someone who likes them more than I do) I don't think they should "rise from the ashes" and re-establish themselves. The same goes for AG Sys and Pirhana and whatnot. If AG Sys is gonna return (something I _could_ see happening, seeing as how it's Team Belmondo) then G-Tech hasta die. I think Assegai and Icaras oughta stay dead, too. They were valiant one-off efforts, no doubt, but their companies just disintigrated. Anyway, those are just my opinions, on to more important matters...
Regardless of how many teams you want to have, I have a pretty good reason for thinking that there should never be more than 12 teams...
I notice that you've tried to keep the teams even with that "adds to 20" thing, but I'm pretty sure that that's a bad way to go about it. Since always, teams have been balanced with "The Wipeout Rule Of 9", whereby Speed + Handling + Shields = 9. No more, no less. There's a good reason for this: accelleration isn't worth a damn thing, and weapon power is useless on Time Trial. Looking at these totals for your 18 teams, we get numbers from 10 to 12, and Al-Qahira at 8. Speed 3, Shield 2, Handling 3. Who's gonna drive that? Sure, you've got great weapons, hope you can survive a lap and still see opponents. And as an aside, what happened to Van-Uber? They used to be the slowest thing on the track, and now they're at speed 5?!? Okay, dude, these are all interesting ideas and stuff, but you can't go changing a team by such enormous degrees.
So anyway, back to me and my "12 teams max" theory.
Given a range of values of 1-5 for each of the 3 main stats, that gives us a possible 19 combinations. The WO3 teams take up 8 of those slots, leaving us with 11. Of those, three will be ignored because having a 5 in the shield rating is taboo. Of the rest, another two will be dropped for having 1 in the handling rating. We'll drop another two for having 5 in Handling and less than 3 in Speed. Now we're at 4. Those 4 are:
Speed 2, Handling 4, Shield 3. A Goteki with better handling.
Speed 3, Handling 2, Shield 4. A faster Goteki.
Speed 4, Handling 4, Shield 1. Wow, what a strange craft this would be!
Speed 5, Handling 3, Shield 1. For experts only! (hit a wall, die, restart...)
This stuff is important. Have a look at your Van-Uber and your Omnitek. They're very similar. Tigron and Qirex, same story. If you were racing these things on Time Trial, you'd have a tough time telling the difference. And that's bad. You want each team to be extremely distince, you should be able to tell the difference by more than just the appearance. If all you want to change is appearance, have each pilot with their own personal paint job (a la WO1). Now, you could increase the range... But I'd say that that's likely to be a bad idea as well. If you increased the range without changing the "distance" between 1 and 2, then you'd get such differences on the track that certain craft wouldn't be played. It's tough enough to win with FEISAR as it is! If you decreased the distance between 1 and 2, then the difference between those values becomes less clear. Making the range 1-10 just means that 3 and 4 are almost imperceptibly different.
So in conclusion, while I love have a large number of options for craft to race just as much as the next Wiper, 8 teams is a good number. Which doesn't mean that you hafta be limited to 8 _craft_, but that's a different topic altogether...

Lastly, weapons.
7 main weapons? Billions of tracks, scads of teams, fewer weapons than ever before? :lol: I'll bet you were getting tired when you wrote that, it's so far out of your "usual style".
Only some craft can have Mines? Why's that?
Cloak is now a super weapon? Only some craft can be invulnerable to the mighty Quake? And you can fire a Plasma Bolt while cloaked?!? That's not very nice.
Only most craft have missiles? That's quite interesting. I'd take this idea farther and give each team its own type of missile. Unique missiles for each team, that'd be cool.
I still don't like the "Energy Pak" weapon, as a concept.
I do like the idea of Electro Bolt not being a normal weapon, but as a weapon it still sucks.

One of these days I'm gonna hit a "words per post" limit and I won't know what to do...
But I think you'll reach that point before me. 8 )

Vasudeva
4th June 2002, 06:28 PM
WoW, a lot of comments here :o

Okay, I'll address each comment seperately again. And this is going to be a looong posting I'm afraid, so brace yourself 8).

@ Lance

You're right that if newbies choose a ship beyond their level, they will eventually fall back on the more basic ships automatically. The idea is not to exclude newbies or to just please the pros (or to force people alltogether), however, but to have every player play with each craft. This may be a personal pet peeve, but I hate it in a lot of games that lazy newbies sometimes just make one choice (one fighter, one army, one move, one ship...) and are too "conservative" to change styles now and then, so that over 60% of the game remains undiscovered. Perhaps I'm too demanding. But otoh, in WO3 you needed to be capable to fly with every ship in order to win all challenges. I do see your point as well though.

Thanks for the compliment :). Well, who knows someday such a game may be made... At any rate, I'm really impressed with the depth of the comments I'm receiving here. It shows me that I'm with the right kind of crowd on these forums :D.

@ Pyro

Well... I don't own the game 8). But I understand better what you feel.

This blend, however, could prove to be a difficult thing to do. If you have 46 tracks with 3 songs each, this would hypothetically suppose the existence of, I dunno, about 600-something mixes? Isn't that a lot?

@ Vagrant Logic

You are beyond doubt right about Wipeout64. I don't own the game, and don't know anyone who does, so I kind of forgot about it. I should have included the tracks you mention, and there's certainly some room for them!

@ Task

A thorough, in-depth analysis! Okay, let's see...

Classes

About the classes. Yes, it was the intention to make a speed division, as in WO2097. As for my terminology, English isn't my native language so I guess I'm prone to make mistakes 8). Indeed, there is room to have 8 tracks in each class, but I guess the well of inspiration ran a little dry, and I was trying not to be too exotic or difficult. It would be easy to think of really weird stuff, but the key word is balance rather than spectacle (although a spectacle from time to time also has a considerable charm :))

Pilots and Craft

As for the number of pilots. Since most older tracks have been considerably expanded and lengthened (up to 25km), there is space for 36 pilots on a (admittedly looong) starting grid. Even in WO3, I think there is space to have 3 craft next to each other, so it should certainly be possible to make something like 3 rows of 12 pilots.

Then the number of teams. I realise that all in all, there's simply a lot of everything :D. But I don't think that some "rules" should just be followed. Innovation is as important as continuation, but of course tastes differ on how far each of these elements should go. I'm also aware that especially the resurrections of Qirex and AG have a rather weak motivation (I wasn't that displeased with Assegai, Goteki and Icaras :D), and that some hard-core fans would probably just ditch them forever. I understand how you feel about this, and I have had doubts about this as well, but in the end I did opt for their return. I would assume more people would be pleased with their return than not. Believe me, I'd love to kill G-Tech 8), but if I kept alive all the rest, I had to be consequent.

Without wanting to be arrogant, however, I do feel that Wipeout Fusion made a few illogical steps, which, if I would present them as ideas, would make some people frown just as well: three European teams, and none from Africa or Oceania? Tigron as a futurist reflection of cold-war USSR? Van-Uber and G-Tech with their terrible names?

You're correct in your assessment that acceleration is worth nada in the wipeout games hitherto. But this role of acceleration could be altered. Also, take note that the factor weight could also play a role in things like ramming duels, cornnering or stability when being hit by weapons. As far as TT is concerned, there will always be more popular ships in that deperatment, and I resign myself at that. No one will ever pick FEISAR for that purpose, whereas the craft makes an excellent choice for eliminator.

As for Van-Uber (or Van-Über, as I renamed them :)), I thought they deserved a chance at making their slogan "speed freaks" a viable truth. Besides, it wouldn't be the first time teams made an 180° change. Look at the difference between 2097/XL Pirhana and WO3 Pirhana, for instance.

Your theory on 12 ships indeed makes sense, on the condition that you assign a small role to acceleration and weapon differences, just like in the previous games. If these two factors would become more important, a lot of combinations would become possible.

Weapons

Yes, I was getting pretty tired 8). Making up interesting new weapons for each team is a hard job, if you don't want to make it too exotic. Of course, I could have thought of nukes or stuff like that, but it's Wipeout Maximum, not Wipeout Apocalypse :D.

Okay, why some craft have mines, and why some don't. I'm not sure if this is always the case, but usually the faster craft have more rear-locking weapons, or weapons that hit opponents behind you. If you pick up Mines with a FEISAR or Goteki45 in WO3, all you usually hit is thin air, and all you really need is a Quake. Other away around for Icaras. What use is a fancy Quake if you're ahead of the platoon anyway?

Unique missiles you say? Interesting. How do you envision this?

Of course, Electrobolt and Energy Pak still stink as weapons. That's precisely the whole point. That's why some craft have "1" as weapon statistic :D.

Well, let's see if we can reach that word limit per posting :wink:

Peace!
V.

Lance
4th June 2002, 08:11 PM
hello again. yes, i'm about to talk a bunch more. but this is not a personal attack on you. really it isn't; just a plea for more freedom for more people and how it affects game design.

ah, but your pet peeve is still making you want to force people to play in a way that doesn't offend your pet peeve. you are merely restating [in excellent english, btw] the same thing you already said. :) tsk tsk. a pet peeve does not justify forcing others to play games the way you want them to. other people should let you play it your way, you should let them play it their way. if this game you're designing actually existed as complete software, you would still get to play it your way even if the playstructure allowed more freedom of choice to players of all sorts of different personal characteristics. since you are publically presenting the game as a tentative template for an actual future game, it is more than just a private fantasy for your own fulfillment; it should fill the requirements of other people as well. and it would never make it in the marketplace if it didn't. i am reminded of HydroThunder for the Dreamcast; despite the fact that it had great graphics and racing, i never play it simply because the idiotic user interface constantly forced me to go through a lot of unnecessary steps to get to the actual racing. it tried to force me to do things the way the designer thought it should be done. nuh-uh
i don't think it did well, and neither the game nor the designers are regarded with any gratitude. where is it now? that's not a rhetorical question, even though i suspect that the answer is 'nowhere, no sequels', but i really do not know the answer because i don't keep up with that sort of thing as much as i did a year ago.

i do not agree that WO3 requires skill with all ships. i never use goteki 45, auricom, or assegai, and only use feisar to see how much can be accomplished with the slowest ship, and i am perfectly happy with the game. even though i'm a pilot with a low level of skill, i abandoned everything but pirhana after the first few familiarisation races, as it was the fastest ship i had available. WO3 doesn't require that you have real skill with all the ships, but only that you be able to win a race against the AI. you can acquire all the circuits and all the ships without even winning all golds. now i pretty much use nothing but icaras and pirhana. so WO3 is very player friendly while at the same time being a deep game that is always of interest to people who want to better their skills. this is to a great extent also true of Soul Calibur.

so i say let everyone use the ships they want, they will soon discover what works for them and what doesn't. there will be a natural adaption to skill levels, and the players won't get angry and dump the game because it doesn't allow them to do what they want to

regards,

_____lance

FoxZero
4th June 2002, 08:27 PM
you know what id like to see? AI SHIPS THAT CAN COLLIDE WITH WALLS. i dunno if they do this in fusion but, after playing so much wo3 single race i understand why they left out the quake and force wall for the enemy weapons because they already have a huge advantage by never crashing.