PDA

View Full Version : My first day at college

Zerow
6th December 2006, 10:19 PM
Well, I FINALLY started at college today, after dwelling in a vortex of doubt for three months over the rest of the funding (even so, the transport didn't show up; my Dad had to give me a lift in and back home, hopefully this is sorted out by next week*).

And after just one day, let me tell you something: I haven't felt as happy as I did when I left for the day in years! I feel far more relaxed and confident in the college than I ever did at high school. I'm treated with respect there - no more name-calling and throwing empty soft-drink cans at me - I've met new people and made new friends, and unlike high school, I'm doing subjects which I'd really like to do, and can do so in peace and quiet (no more having to put up with a bunch of twats kicking a football carelessly across the classroom while the teacher's left for a moment).

Well, that's about it. At long last, I can leave my miserable, murky past behind me. :)

* - I'm only attending just one day this week, and two days next week so I can get used to the college before starting my year proper in January.

infoxicated
6th December 2006, 10:30 PM
Nice one man - glad you're enjoying it so far. :+

Lance
6th December 2006, 10:40 PM
That was my experience; university level is a whole different type of organisation and culture. It was wonderful. They assume that you can think and that you're responsible for yourself; it makes you feel truly free.

andy
6th December 2006, 10:44 PM
Good to hear that zero :+, nice to see you like it :).

I'm in Yr11 right now and we are just doing our mock exams (:() and now we have all became very aware that the end of our school days are fast approaching. I have the choice to go to either Sixth Form, College (hopefully King George V) or go straight into a job. I have got to go to college or sixth form or college if I want to have a chance of getting into the RAF.

I went to a college open evening and, I agree, it is so different compared to high school. My schools sixth form is apparently the best in the area but I seriously need to get out of that school and I don't think I could bear being with all the little people - basically it isn't for me. I could tell they were trying their very hardest but it all ended up being a rather uninspired slideshow and (this is how desperate they got!) the teacher in charge of the block told us that he was very proud of the 6th form toilets!

College on the other hand seemed a lot more grown up, a lot more proffesional compared to my school and generally better. It seemed in very good condition aswell. College should be so much better seeing as only clever, decent people get in - not retarded chavs with anger management problems. Also it's by a skatepark, a tesco and a maccies! :D

So it's good to hear this kind of thing. It's one thing for the college to say its good but it's better when you hear from the real people who actually go there.

Thankoo :+ :)

Hellfire_WZ
6th December 2006, 10:46 PM
Great experience being at university. Make sure you get the most out of the first couple of weeks, best time to meet people. And try not to get too rat-arsed ;)

username
6th December 2006, 11:10 PM
I started coll about a few months a ago now! and i see what you mean! everyone has so much more rrespect and is so much mature. you can dress your own style with no worries (but i had unform before anyway lol). hehe happy to hear your liking it as much as me :P

Zerow
7th December 2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks everyone. =)

The college I'm attending is also set in a beautiful location, just nearby the Barry coast-line. You can see the shore and the beach clearly from the grounds, and there's even one or two horses in the nearby fields!

Whenever I get the chance, I'll take a couple of photos and let you see for yourself. :+

andy
7th December 2006, 03:09 PM
what subjects do you take?

Silverstream
7th December 2006, 06:34 PM
Good luck Zerow, and enjoy yourself!

Asayyeah
7th December 2006, 06:56 PM
I am sure Owen,you will enjoy college more than high school and not only because guys are more mature or respectfull with people but also for the subjects you may have choosen before which are in relation with what you luv learning.
it was my best years for myself.

Zerow
7th December 2006, 08:46 PM
what subjects do you take?

Primarily music and art & design. I can really keep all of my focus on these subjects and not be forced to do things I don't want to do in between - science, for example. :cold

Zerow
12th December 2006, 08:30 PM
Had my second day today. Really starting to settle in now.

My music class was definitely the biggest highlight. Had the chance to flex my fingers with an acoustic guitar and a keyboard. Considering I haven't touched a guitar in over six years, and all of my knowledge from my earlier lessons has since vanished, I think I did pretty well - my teacher said she was amazed after just that one lesson! :guitar

The keyboard was great fun too - I got the chance to try and play some classic Christmas carols like 'Silent Night' and 'We Wish You A Merry Christmas'. ;)

andy
12th December 2006, 08:42 PM
I wish I could play an instrument. We have a piano but none of us can play it :P. So, glad you're enjoying it and best of luck :).

Zerow
13th December 2006, 11:16 PM
My third and final day for this year was today. No more college now 'till January. :frown:

Got the chance to practice with the guitar again during a free period. It's starting to come back . . . slowly. :g

Again, the place already feels like a second home for me - even more so once the sort of common room for the day students* is finished.

BTW, the photos I promised of the college and the nearby back-drop will come at the start of the new year hopefully. =)

* - The college plays host to both day students such as me (who go there from 10 A.M. to 4 P.M. and return home for the evening) and residental ones (who stay at the college overnight throughout the term, returning home for the holidays).

andy
14th December 2006, 08:28 PM
Unlucky mate :(. Well, I hope christmas and the new year make the time till college fly by. :)