PDA

View Full Version : New Firmware for the PSP, 3.0 is out!!!

Mad-Ice
22nd November 2006, 09:09 AM
Hello everyone

Firmware 3.0 is out, not on yourpsp.com but just go to network update in your psp menu. It has some real nifty updates, but you'll have to check it for youself!!!!

infoxicated
22nd November 2006, 11:10 AM
It's the best update for a while, I think - got it yesterday afternoon and the visualisation stuff for the music player is pretty good. Best bit is being able to turn off auto-boot into UMD's - cant believe it's taken so long to have that great feature. :+

I'd like to see the addition of random wallpapers, too - I have a directory full of them, so it'd be nice to see a different one each time I'm back in the OS.

JABBERJAW
22nd November 2006, 06:10 PM
When the heck are they going to give us the option to play 333 mgtz? Is it possible to play through the ps3 using ps3 controllers? I was expecting this to be a feature.

Zerow
22nd November 2006, 08:05 PM
The visualisation thingy is the only thing about 3.0 I find interesting.

I'll never give up 1.50 and homebrew just for that though - I wouldn't be able to take Pure screenshots anymore if I upgraded. :o

Sausehuhn
22nd November 2006, 08:20 PM
AFAIK the "show album cover in music selection" thing is also possible with older firmwares, probably just not that simple.
The only really cool thing I see is the auto boot turn-off.
But that's also no problem for me, cause I turn off the PSP not very often, just put it into sleep mode.

Rapier Racer
22nd November 2006, 08:50 PM
I am glad they finally included the disable auto boot feature as my psp is also my MP3 player and it really is a pain in the arse plus i don't like opening the door all the time, it's aboot time! :cowboy

Mobius
23rd November 2006, 09:42 PM
Is it possible to play through the ps3 using ps3 controllers? I was expecting this to be a feature.

Yes it is possible, look!

Clicky (http://www2.threespeech.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/clips/PS3-01-SM.mov)

lunar
27th November 2006, 12:45 PM
There are some rumours doing the rounds that 3.0 firmware is increasing the speed of the PSP, reducing load times and improving frame rate in some games. Some are saying that 3.0 is running the PSP at 333mhz, though of course they can`t possibly tell, and the only evidence is what they see in the load times and frame rates, though, apparently, what they see does suggest something different is happening in some games. Anyone upgraded to 3.0 yet and able to report any effect or lack of effect? I haven`t got round to it, but if I do I might do some load time tests before and after the upgrade.

If it is improving things I may be able to tell on the start grid of Citta Nuova in a SR, just by looking at the spinny thing that appears behind the "Ready Go". You can often tell what sort of framerate you`re going to get in a race, in single player and multiplayer, just by seeing how smooth the motion of this graphic is.

But I guess we should also remember that this is just a rumour on the internet. :)

Rapier Racer
27th November 2006, 04:32 PM
No noticeable improvements to Pure that I can see, still takes its fair time to load and doesn’t feel any different in-game

andy
27th November 2006, 07:41 PM
I have 3.01 now and I noticed that under the Game icon there is a key, something like registration certificate or something like that - maybe this is how sony will make ps1 downloads available (ie. the games will only play on a psp if it has the right reg).

Like the visualisations.:) One little thing I dislike is the little camera icon - I keep clicking on that instead of the picture folder - however I would like to find out more about this camera. If it's any good I may well get it.

lunar
28th November 2006, 09:32 AM
Maybe the new firmware only optimizes some things for some games, and not Wipeout Pure. But it could indicate that PSP developers will be able to make faster-running games in the future. If it requires it, I`ll probably upgrade later so that I can play the Christmas LocoRoco demo level that Sony will be giving away :dizzy, or when the PS1 downloads become available to non-ps3 owners.

Lion
29th November 2006, 08:06 PM
I'll never give up 1.50 and homebrew just for that though - I wouldn't be able to take Pure screenshots anymore if I upgraded. :ohave you had a look at the 2.71se firmwares? all the homebrew still runs, but you get the benefits of some of the later 2.x firmwares
they arent official sony firmware, but they at least fall into the "works for me" category

Zerow
29th November 2006, 08:39 PM
I'm happy enough with 1.50 ATM. If 2.71 SE offers a mind-blowing feature in the future that 1.50 cannot (record proper in-game videos directly on your PSP, for instance), then I'll certainly consider upgrading. Otherwise, I'm not interested.

JABBERJAW
30th November 2006, 02:55 AM
lunar, check modesto in single race, that normally gets pretty choppy without the upgrade

lunar
30th November 2006, 10:15 AM
Yes I`ll do that Al :+

However I won`t upgrade yet. I`ve got my eye on one of Arnaud`s times when I get round to practising it, and I`m superstitious that if the upgrade somehow increases the PSP speed, and somehow the speed of the ship, then it won`t count, to my mind. Though this is an incredibly unlikely scenario, technically, I`m not going to say what the track is. Everyone seems to be having secret ships these days, so I can have a secret mission ;) :paperbag

Asayyeah
30th November 2006, 01:04 PM
Be careful with secret mission , secret agent spk :) don't forget what may happen to those who decided to kick my arse , i can send Polonium 210 through British airways for ya :pirate