PDA

View Full Version : Other PSP games worth our money?

Lion
11th November 2006, 10:14 PM
I had a look through the first 10 pages of this section and couldn't find a similar topic
I know for many of us the psp is just a portable WipEout unit, but has anyone come across anything else that's truly worthy of recommendation?

---

I have 10 games for my psp (2 of those are wipeout), but I have only really found myself hooked on 2 of them. Pure of course, and:

LocoRoco
if you haven't played this I can heartily recommend it, very cutesy but a hell of a lot of G rated fun :P

microreviews of my other games:
Everybody's Golf: a lot more fun than I expected, and I find it quite good to play while travelling
Me and My Katamari: I haven't put as much time into this as I should have. I think the only reason I haven't really gotten into this game is that I haven't grown accustomed to the controls yet
Burnout Legends: I have played a fair bit of this multiplayer, and it's a lot of fun that way, but single player just doesn't grab me
Streetfighter Alpha3 Max: I don't really know what I was expecting, but it's just another generic capcom fighter really. I was hoping for something special. it annoys me that they ported it from some other platform and the display is stretched rather than being properly modified for the wide aspect psp screen
Darkstalkers Chronicle - The Chaos Tower: I bought this at the release of the psp because I wanted something else to go alongside pure. it's spent most of it's time on loan to one of my friends because I have little interest in it. same as above for streetfighter really, right down to the big complaint about the stretched display
Gripshift: this was kinda cool at first, but it's novelty wore off pretty promptly. I don't know what the problem is, but it's not as fun as it initially seems
Lumines: I don't often have the desire to start playing this, but if I do start, I can't stop for hours :) it's a lot of fun, and probably third place behind pure and locoroco for time spent playing

what else do you guys have and what would you recommend, or recommend we avoid?

andy
11th November 2006, 10:18 PM
I have Tomb Raider, that's exactly the same as the PS2 version and is stunning. Try it.
I also have Pursuit Force but that gets old very fast.

q_dmc12
11th November 2006, 10:45 PM
Ace Combat X:nod short but deep

Rapier Racer
11th November 2006, 10:53 PM
Well.

I've got both GTA's

LCS kept Wipeout off my PSP for a good while, almost 4 weeks the UMD stayed in, enjoyed the game to a point but WO took over again and by the time I was ready to play LCS again I spotted it was to be released for PS2, bought and completed that one instead

I’ve had VCS for 2 days and it's still in the wrapping, it says something when Wipeout keeps my fav city off the PSP, it keeps most games off it actually no one on kai tonight though so its getting a shot now

Smackdown vs RAW 2006 a truly awful laggy 'cheap' port with even more hideous loading times, still wrestling on the move!

Also have Outrun 2006 not really my type of racer but fast and smooth on the PSP, and Gottlieb Pinball Classics both games must have seen ooh 30 minutes play time each max, not because they aren’t fun but you know, Wipeout lol

That it I only have 6 PSP games over the course of a year

andy
11th November 2006, 11:02 PM
I only have 4 psp games.

Ace Combat X:nod short but deep

I am thinking of getting that. I am already seriously addicted to Ace Combat : Belkan War - completed it 5 times and still going.

There are demos of Moto GP and Ridge Racer 2 to download off the website, they are quite good.

Zerow
11th November 2006, 11:58 PM
Gottlieb Pinball Classics is absolutely brilliant - even more so when you consider it's a budget title - it's easily spent more time in my PSP than any of my other games, excluding Pure of course.

I also recommend LocoRoco - utter madness has never been more fun! :nod

RingoSpoon
12th November 2006, 02:48 AM
Definately - Tekken Dark Resurrection :) Great game!

GTA: Vice City Stories is really good as well.

Fight Night round 3 is worth a look and has a great soundtrack.

If you can run Homebrew - R-Gear is fantastic :)

lunar
12th November 2006, 11:00 AM
I`ve had three other PSP games, but all gone now. I get into them, then think "I could actually be playing Pure now....." and go back to that instead.

GTA:LCS. Excellent, can`t really fault it as a GTA game, but 4 hours play and sold.

Outrun 2006. Again, excellent fun. Online play was ok but a bit buggy. About 8 hours play, sold.

F1 2006. Great implementation of game on PSP, but hard to get round corners compared to PS2 version, which is great if you like that sort of thing. Monaco impossible on PSP. Sold after 3 hours play.

so I`m a bit wary of getting other games now, only to sell them again. After racing Pure on Kai and on the records tables, I`m really only interested in games with online play - beating AI is just that - beating a computer programme. There doesn`t seem any point to it, or maybe I`m just getting old.

So I`ll be tempted by the ATV PSP game when it comes out, and if the reviews are ok, as this is supposed to have online racing.

I might pick up Locoroco for a laugh when it`s down to a tenner too. The demo is inspired stuff.

stin
12th November 2006, 12:10 PM
I have got a few games here,

Daxter, never played it yet!

Fired Up, again never played and never will!

GTA, great game been playing over 4hrs but I`m still 6% ever since!

Mah-Jong Fight Club, don`t know how to play it due wrong type of game and all in Japanees writing!!!!! (actually it`s for cool-lover)

Soccer, never played and never will due not interested!

I was hoping to get Spyro the Dragon for psp and much doubt it!

And my laddie plays them.

lastly I always plays pure and prefers to play online so I can whup the pros arses! ;)

stevie:)

infoxicated
12th November 2006, 12:24 PM
Games I've owned that you should avoid, even on the cheap: Virtua Tennis - terrible port, no anti-aliasing, and excruciating load times - even in the middle of the games. Burnout Legends - terrible port, shonky handling, and a complete butchery of the tracks I knew and loved from Burnout 1 & 2.

Loco Roco is very nice, but I'm just not motivated to play it. I keep thinking I could be playing a game I really like instead.

Vice City Stories is great - I've had it since the day it launched and it's only been out of my psp a couple of times to play Arnaud's challenges. Sometimes it does feel like a sequel too many, but then there are nice little touches in there that make it fun, and it is the definitive GTA experience on the PSP. Things like being able to buy your weapons back outside the hospital when you're wasted, the sheer variety of music, and the business empire side missions that can be dipped in and out of at any time, make it a must have for me.

SOCOM Fireteam Bravo is excellent, too - almost the same experience as playing on the PS2, except there's no voice control of your team mate. You don't really miss it, though, and you would feel a bit of a twonk on the train shouting "Bravo, Move To, Crosshairs!" There's a sequel to it due out at the end of January, though, so it might be worth waiting for that unless you can pick up the first one on the cheap.

Football Manager is so much better than I thought it would be. It's compact enough that navigation of it is never frustrating, and it contains enough depth to make it feel like you are making a difference to your team. It's a nice change of pace from the usual stuff I play, too, and it's very addictive. The new version is out in December and I'll definitely be picking that up.

I've waiting impatiently for the Euro release of Madden 07 on the PSP, which had good reviews when it was released in Northern America. I actually skipped the PS2 version this year with the intention of getting the PSP one instead, but if I have to wait much longer I'll just skip that too and get it for the PS3 in March.

I have Killzone Liberation and Ace Combat X on order - hopefully I'll have them next week. I'm really looking forward to the multiplayer aspect of Killzone - so much so that I ordered a copy for my little brother, too, so we can play together.

It's finally a good time to be a PSP gamer - I'm definitely looking forward to what's in store next year. :D

rejj
12th November 2006, 12:34 PM
The only thing I'm currently looking forward to is Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops. After that is out and I'm done with it, I fear I'll be shelving my PSP pretty much for good.

It's just fallen real flat, it seems.

RingoSpoon
12th November 2006, 12:38 PM
Oh forgot to mention lion - if you like lumines - lumines II is excellent, and has been getting some really favourable reviews :)

infoxicated
12th November 2006, 06:10 PM
gah!

I forgot to mention Worms - it's brilliant fun, and a perfect pass-it-around game if you only have the one PSP. Ad Hoc mode is even better, though - I sometimes play this during my lunch hour at work, with one of us surfing the net while the other takes their turn. Even as a single player game it's worth the £17.99 I paid for it in June (it seems to cost a lot more than that now, for some reason) - some of the single player challenges are pretty tough, but all the more satisfying when you do get them done.

Lion
12th November 2006, 07:01 PM
I got handed a review copy of B-Boy (this is strange because I'm not a reviewer or anything like that) and while it's totally not my kind of game and I have no interest in that scene. it is actually much more interesting than expected.
I have only played about 45 mins so far, but my initial impression is that it's a pretty decent rhythm game with an interesting control method that I haven't seen before, but that does make sense.
I'll be playing a bit more of this and let you know how it is

also I expected the music in it to be really obnoxious but it's surprisingly OK

Zerow
12th November 2006, 09:42 PM
I forgot to mention Worms

I was very disappointed by Worms: Open Warfare. It felt more like a demo than a full game compared with the earlier installments. There's very few weapons, and barely anything to do on your own. Even at £17.99, it seems to me like an absolute rip-off when you could get Worms: World Party for PC for just £4.99.

infoxicated
12th November 2006, 10:54 PM
What about the 20 single player challenges? :o

Even when you exhaust those, Worms has never been a single player game - in multiplayer it's really good fun. If you can get Worms at £17.99 it's a great addition to a PSP game collection. I wouldn't pay full price for it, but I believe it's good value at budget level.

As for comparing it with the PC version... well.. I haven't tried dragging my PC on a flight to Turkey, or on a handfull of train journeys to and from London, but I've done all that with my PSP version and I'd say it's worth the £13 extra for the portability.

mclarensmps
15th November 2006, 04:56 PM
Lumines
Ace Combat
Tekken
-------
Try em, you will like!
-------

Virtua Tennis is also fun!

chri5
15th November 2006, 08:56 PM
Ridge Racer.

Funny thing is the first games a bought when I got my PS1 were WipEout & Ridge Racer and history repeated its self 10 years later when I got the PSP.

infoxicated
22nd November 2006, 09:08 PM
I've only had them a few days, but I can highly recommend both Killzone Liberation and Ace Combat for the PSP - they're brilliant! :+

Killzone is really nicely done - I've played through the five missions of the first chapter and they were quite enjoyable. Sometimes I got stuck, but I was never in danger of giving up, mostly due to the checkpointing system meaning you never have to retry from too far back. Start of the second chapter has been a little tougher, but since I got it yesterday I've been playing Ace Combat.

Ace Combat is totally taking me back to how I loved Ace Combat 4 - it's like the horrific Ace Combat 5 never happened. The handling is similar, and the action is almost as intense. The only thing I miss is the rumble feature, oh, and the voice acting of the guy who gives you the missions is ropey as heck - I have no iea why they wanted someone giving orders who sounds like an intern. Aside from that it's all good - even the sound - when you drop a bomb directly on a battleship and it goes "boom!" it really does go "BOOM!".

I now have three brilliant games for the PSP at the same time! What are the odds?!

Max A K Challie
4th December 2006, 02:14 AM
I currently have:
1. WipEout PurE
2. Daxter - Fun, but short. I still haven't completed it 100%, let alone killed the final boss.
3. Twisted Metal: Head On - Hell yeah. It's good, it'll be amazing multiplayer when I get it for my friend for Christmas.

Lumines was my second game after PurE, but it broke. I'm now looking for a UMD only sale. What I also plan to buy is Tales of Eternia, Lumines II and Monster Hunter Freedom. I'll also get San Andreas Stories, if it releases. But that isn't likely, considering how badly the current PSP GTA games are selling. It would be possible for a game as big as San An to be on the PSP, all the weapons, maps, models and physics round up to about 900 MB. The rest is just UNCOMPRESSED audio and the cutscenes. Lower the bit rates to a medium-low, and the game will be ready to go at 1.8 GB.

Is PoP: Revelations very good?

lunar
6th April 2007, 01:18 PM
I just picked up Test Drive Unlimited - so much to do in that game and really very addictive. Online works great - though you will need to spend time saving up for fast cars. You can go to arranged races in lobbies, or just drive around playing the game on your own, and just race online when you come across another player. The funniest thing is flashing your headlights at another online player for an instant challenge, then racing on your self-made course and both going the wrong way at the same junctions. There are a zillion fixed courses and challenges for online rankings.

The car handling is more satisfying for me than Outrun or Ridge Racer, with their exaggerated drift. It is somewhat more realistic, but still fun. Also it has jumps, even in the slow and crummy Ford I`m driving at the moment. So many driving games don`t have jumps, and jumps are essential, so this gets a :+ from me. I`m on there as spk, but probably not in the next couple of weeks, with holidays, work and so on.

Anyway I recommend it. It`s not as good as WipEout Pulse obviously, but it`s a rare PSP driving game where the infrastructure actually works and there are plenty of players.

q_dmc12
6th April 2007, 04:09 PM
I'm waiting for coded arms (2) : Contagion - it is supposed to be better than the first one and have infrustructure -- do you notice that more and more games are gravitating toward infra now that a few have tried it?:hyper

Riccardo Raccis
6th April 2007, 08:23 PM
Metal Gear Ac!d 1 & 2. Turn-base Soild Snake. Amazing games! (Portable Ops ain't out in Italy yet)

Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel. Stunningly beautiful, even if not a real game.

Archer Mclean's Mercury: pure genius. Control a realistic mercury drop in the craziest situations.

Mercury Meltdown: sequel to the above. Less genius, a bit frustrating and a tad too cartoonesque for my likings, but the mercury now has 4 states (great touch).

Ape Academy 1 & 2. What to do when your brain ain't available. Love 'em.

:D

rdmx
7th April 2007, 01:49 AM
Shame. I want TDU but instead on the PC. I'd love to be able to race someone on this forum.
I'm a graphics whore :P That's why i pick the PC version.

Zerow
7th April 2007, 08:58 PM
It`s not as good as WipEout Pulse obviously

You've played Pulse before it's even been released?

I hate you... ;)

Unless you meant Pure?

Sausehuhn
7th April 2007, 09:24 PM
WipEout Pulse

kei
8th April 2007, 04:29 AM
Hi guys,

Some games worth mentioning as well .. by my means.

Monster Hunter Portable 2nd : What's for dinner tonight :P
Gunpey-R : Q? flavoured remake of the Wonderswan puzzler.
DJ Max Portable : Beat Mania esque rythem action from Korea.
Metal Gear Portable Ops : No further introduction needed :)
Intelligent License : Stylish VR-inspired spatial brainteaser 8)

Enjoy ~
K

Asayyeah
8th April 2007, 07:14 PM
You've played Pulse before it's even been released?

I hate you... ;)

Unless you meant Pure?

Whhhhat !! Stephen Isles is playing Pulse :D

Max A K Challie
12th April 2007, 09:18 AM
I got Tales of Eternia. Can't say I'm enjoying it that much. I'll complete it one day, but I only play it when I'm away from home, and even then, not too often.

I bought Lumines again, great to be playing it lots more.

My latest game is Armored Core: Formula Front. It's great, I think. Plenty of customisation and painting options. I guess I just like mechs. Goes well with WipEout.

This is what's left on my list:

1. Monster Hunter Freedom
2. Killzone Liberation
3. Ratchet & Clank Size Matters
4. Lumines II
5. Myst
6. GTA: Liberty City Stories

I'm unsure of Myst though. Have to read a review on it.

YoshiXL
18th April 2007, 06:19 AM
Thanks for this topic! Now i definetly have other reasons other than WOPure to buy a psp!

Spaceboy Gajo
9th May 2007, 04:44 PM
I have to agree with Metal Gear Ac!d2. I haven't played the first one. I love CCGs and always wanted to give the Ac!d games a try. I was at a convention and the price was too good to refuse. Besides, the box said there was more game in this one so I figured I might as well. There's replay value in it when you finish, and I heard it's a trait for the MGS series to have you play the game again on different difficulties. May go back, when I feel the MGS itch again. Hoping the Mavel CCG goes down in price to give it a try.

My recommendation. Lego Star Wars II : The Original Trilogy! Perfect for the Star Wars fan. Especially me. They give you all the characters from the first Lego Star Wars since that one never came out for the PSP. Great humor and tons of fun. Especially the replay factor. Some levels you have to play again and again to unlock more and more.

Another recommendation, X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse. A beat'em up RPG. Gorgeous looking and great controls. A bit of an older game, but if you like more superheros I heard that Marvel Ultimate Alliance is definitely something to pick up and made by the same developers. Think it's using the same engine also.

Picked up GTA : Liberty City Stories but have yet to give it the time it needs to say anything about it. Hoping it'll make me enjoy it just like I enjoyed Vice City on the PS2.

Rapier Racer
9th May 2007, 05:33 PM
My most recent PSP game is Bomberman :D A true classic and great for PSP multi player battles since it has game sharing only 1 UMD needed

It also has a fun normal mode for single player and you can of course battle 3 CPU opponents in battle mode, this game will cause the Pure UMD to be removed from PSP more than any other has.

phl0w
9th May 2007, 06:10 PM
There's just one game that gets more playtime currently than WO, and that's MGS: Portable Ops. VERY addictive game. Well, that's nothing unusual for a MGS, but it plays unexpected well on the PSP.
Other games I own and play regularly:

Ridge Racer (best RR to date)

Virtua Tennis 3 (even better than the first one, although can't hold up against the likes of Top Spin or VT on Dreamcast)

Every Extend Extra (amazing pick up and play shooter, but can get too frustrating at times due to the lack of game modes and a damn hard unlocking system)

Lumines (Well, that one's obvious, isn't it? ;) )

Tony Hawk 2 Remix (Came with my PSP, haven't really played it, since I'm not into skating)

That's it. There's loads of excellent PSP games. To be honest they are just a bit expensive, that's why I keep my library small and simple.

G'Kyl
9th May 2007, 07:45 PM
Plus, a few more...

Valkyrie Profile: excellent Japanese RPG, awesome battles (tactics and timing (!) required) and character development, my current favorite

The Warriors: great brawler, one of the best movie licences arond

Syphon Filter: Metal Gear Solid kind of a game, and a good one at that! story sucks, though

PES: not a soccer fan. just thought I'd mention it ;)

Marvel Ultimate Alliance: cool Action-RPG. I also liked Untold Legends 2 a lot

Tekken: Dark Resurrection: you'll want to see it and then you're going to want it, no really, you do :)

Midnight Club 3: coffee break loading times, but great racing

Burnout rocks, too

MACH: too few courses and race types, but it resembles a PSone classic - N-Gen Racing (thanks again, Lance :) )

Everybody's Golf: played that for hundreds of hours with my girlfriend, no kidding. just rocks :)

Deluxe
11th May 2007, 04:00 AM
Deluxe highly recommends, the DJ simulation games DJ MAX and the new DJMAX2. They're both Korean releases but have complete English options.
DJMAX 1 (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bj-49-en-70-15ww.html)DJMAX 2 (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bj-49-en-70-1u9y.html)

Honestly, Wipeout is the only non-music game that I find exciting enough to play,lol.

Task
11th May 2007, 04:29 AM
... Wipeout is a non-music game?

8 )

G'Kyl
11th May 2007, 04:35 AM
At least you can turn it off and still win the game. ;-)

Ben

Deluxe
11th May 2007, 05:42 AM
... Wipeout is a non-music game?

8 )

(-___-);;

stin
11th May 2007, 07:40 AM
LOL! you can ask everybody at convention, I just play without music too! ;)

stevie:D

Max A K Challie
15th May 2007, 11:53 AM
I recently bought Test Drive Unlimited. I'm loving it. Can't wait for the Lamborghini's. :D

Still on my list is:
Monster Hunter Freedom
Killzone Liberation
Lumines II
Rengoku: The Tower of Purgatory
Rengoku II: The Stairway to H.E.A.V.E.N

And coming up we have:
Elder Scrolls Travels: Oblivion
Monster Hunter Freedom 2
God of War: Chains of Olympus

infoxicated
15th May 2007, 01:28 PM
I've been considering TDU - I wanted to borrow it from the games library at work before I bought it, but someone else has nabbed it.

Since last week I've been playing Driver 76 and it's alright - it's no GTA, so I don't know why they even pretend to be with all the out of car bits - their strength is in the handling model.

I'll go back to Killzone when the multiplayer patch and later chapter is released - multiplayer Killzone is a hoot!

God of War is definitely on my list, and I'm considering Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, too, although that's more my girlfriend's type of game and I don't want her stealing the PSP off of me.

This week I'll be picking up the Go!Cam, though... YouTube superstardom here I come! ;)

q_dmc12
15th May 2007, 02:10 PM
WORMS!....Worms: Open Warfare 2 - I have been reading previews for this like crazy. It is supposed to have a map editor and infrustructure multi, you can play your custom maps online (i'd be neat if they allowed for some kind of conversion of the old Worms2 *.lev maps to whatever the maps will be now...eboots?) ....lost my train of thought.:frown:

OH! Yes, and by my observation the US and EU release dates are pretty close together so I have a feeling it will be a universal disk (non-region specific). :)

infoxicated
15th May 2007, 10:07 PM
Hell yeah! The new worms game is one I'm up for, too. Cant wait to take my wormage skills online with Open Warfare. :)

G'Kyl
16th May 2007, 04:01 AM
... which is why I didn't consider getting Worms on Live! Arcade. However, does any of you happen to play Worms online? Because that would be a good reason to reconsider - and to get off the Virtua Tennis drugs. ;)

q_dmc12
16th May 2007, 06:19 AM
Weeeell, I'd like to play Worms: Open Warfare(1) on kai but it only work with a ping of 150ms or less.

As for the PC version : http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3239&highlight=worms

:)