PDA

View Full Version : 2006-11-10: Forums upgraded to vBulletin 3.6.3

infoxicated
10th November 2006, 03:44 PM
After a quite a lot of procrastination on my part, I've finally got round to upgrading the forums to the latest release.

I've noticed that it's added an extra button or two, such as an infraction report button for admins, and a multiple quote button for everyone. I have no idea what these buttons do, you know. ;)

Our license is also up for renewal next week, but, since I took the trouble of splashing out for an owned license last year, the second year of support and updates is a mere $30.

By Grabthar's hammer... what savings! :D (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0177789/)

andy
10th November 2006, 05:20 PM
Rofl! Galaxy quest rules.

So yeah, I can see the new button and I googled it to see what it does - you click that button on the posts you want quoted and click the Quote button, and you will get the quotes you want in your reply.

Thanks infox :+

Zerow
10th November 2006, 08:33 PM
It's already possible to multi-quote without having to use this new multi-quote feature:

Like this.

And this!

I guess this is just to make things easier for the lazy people out there. ;)

Anyway, nice to see the forum has been upgraded.

Lance
10th November 2006, 09:07 PM
Oh, goody, more ways to quote without thinking. :D

It sure would be nice if there were a third year for only very modest extra charge so it would reduce your average annual cost a bunch. Any chance of that happening?

Oh, BTW, I noticed that I'm no longer automatically forwarded to the next page after logging in, even though my browser settings have not been changed. [Using Opera 9.1 build 8629] It was still automatic yesterday.

Lion
10th November 2006, 09:49 PM
I have no idea what these buttons do, you know. ;)I like this new link to the quoted post thing that you get when you use the quote button, that little button beside the name of the quoted individual.
new syntax associated with it,
[QUOTE=infoxicated;57535] instead of just
[QUOTE=infoxicated]

also are signitures no longer disabled? I notice that lance and task now have sigs (and task a fetching new avatar)
edit: actually I just checked, and us regular users still can't add a sig to our profiles. so I guess that answers my question :P

the little loading swirl beside some buttons is also kinda nifty

infoxicated
11th November 2006, 11:31 AM
Yeah, it did say that sigs were no longer disabled by default, so I made sure they were disabled for "registered users", but I guess the moderator group over rides that.

andy
11th November 2006, 11:06 PM
BTW, did the old forums have the "Reason for editing" bit when you edit your post? I think that's new

Zerow
11th November 2006, 11:47 PM
Giving a reason for editing your posts was also possible before the upgrade, I've seen it plenty of times.

Lance
12th November 2006, 12:17 AM
It was possible for only the mods, IIRC, on the previous version of vBulletin that we were using, but I don't recall it being possible for anyone when we still used phpBB. I don't recall ever seeing a 'reason for edit' done by a non-mod. It was always possible to manually add a reason for edit by writing it into the message text itself, but the software did not have an automatic 'edited by' message in the 'old days'.