PDA

View Full Version : hello + couple questions

Frances_Penfold
6th November 2006, 06:35 AM
Hi,

I'm Frances Penfold, and new to the forum. I'm a biologist from upstate NY, USA-- I like driving games a lot, especially Mario Kart time trial competitions. I really enjoy Wipeout Pure, however, and am hoping to participate in this community as well. Seems like a really nice place :D

Here's a couple questions I have-- I understand that you guys don't like spam, I have tried to look for answers to these questions in the forum archive before posting. Apologies in advance for any stupid questions.

1. I recently imported a PAL version of Wipeout Pure from Australia (DVDcrave.com)-- it was significantly cheeper ($20 UDS) than importing from the UK. Will I be able to participate in Xlink Kai match-ups with y'all PAL users from Europe with my version of the game?

2. I am curious about the general dislike of the Zone and Medieval craft amongst the site users. I certainly understand that the limited shield on these ships is a huge liability for single races, tournaments and multiplayer. But what about for Time Trial mode, and in particular, TTs at the lower speeds? My sense is that these ships would perform very very well in this scenario, but then again, I'm not nearly as good as the game as most of y'all! :nod

3. I've read about a "backwards quake" in some of the threads around here. What the hell is that?! My understanding was that there was no way to fire weapons backwards on this game... is the backward quake just a forward sent quake produced by the current leader?

4. In general, are there banned short cuts that I need to be aware of for time trial competition? The SC/non-SC system is pretty well developed in MK and F-zero but I have yet to see much about it written here. Just wanted to ask about this before I go and accidentally submit a time using a banned strategy.

Anyways, you guys have a fantastic site here-- I look forward to posting here occassionally in the coming months!

KANDANG
6th November 2006, 06:51 AM
hello - hello n welcome to the site
=)

1. I recently imported a PAL version of Wipeout Pure from Australia (DVDcrave.com)-- it was significantly cheeper ($20 UDS) than importing from the UK. Will I be able to participate in Xlink Kai match-ups with y'all PAL users from Europe with my version of the game?

Yes, the Aus PAL version works on xlink kai to connect with the europeans. i've been playing recently:nod and will be back on it after my exams.

2. I am curious about the general dislike of the Zone and Medieval craft amongst the site users. I certainly understand that the limited shield on these ships is a huge liability for single races, tournaments and multiplayer. But what about for Time Trial mode, and in particular, TTs at the lower speeds? My sense is that these ships would perform very very well in this scenario, but then again, I'm not nearly as good as the game as most of y'all! :nod

i guess it's ok with the lower levels, but you'd really want the shields to do major barrel rolls. with 1 shields, you can't do as much but maybe on vector / venom it's ok. i dunno, but if it works for you then good on u :) if u can get a better time on zone / medieval.

3. I've read about a "backwards quake" in some of the threads around here. What the hell is that?! My understanding was that there was no way to fire weapons backwards on this game... is the backward quake just a forward sent quake produced by the current leader?

This means you turn your ship around and fire the quake backwards :rock
asa's favourite move. haha the only time you'll get one of these is during multiplayer.

4. In general, are there banned short cuts that I need to be aware of for time trial competition? The SC/non-SC system is pretty well developed in MK and F-zero but I have yet to see much about it written here. Just wanted to ask about this before I go and accidentally submit a time using a banned strategy.

nope , no banned short cuts. just do whatever to get you ahead onto the tt tables. :)

hope that helps :P heh

Lance
6th November 2006, 07:47 AM
''just do whatever to get you ahead onto the tt tables.''

That is not strictly true; there are conditions that must be met in order for times to be legitimate. These conditions which were published on the records log-in page were temporarily lost during the transfer to the new servers. I am too tired at the moment to write them out or even check to see if they've been restored yet.

Lion
6th November 2006, 09:55 AM
banned strategies include using a program on the psp to upclock it to 333MHz for smoother play. this creates an unfair advantage.
in game shortcuts are allowed as far as I am aware in pure. Pure doesn't allow you to stray far from the intended path without teleporting you back to the track surface anyway. gaining enough altitude to skip over "kerbs" (or ride them as the case may be) is a perfectly valid strategy, though usually it doesn't pay off in my experience.

KANDANG's answers are pretty good, but for no.2 I have something else to add.

to a lot of us a major drawcard of the wipeout games is the ship design and general style of the games.
part of the dislike for zone and medieval is that they don't really seem to fit in with the core aesthetic of pure (thus making it impure :p) - Medieval is particularly guilty of this.
this is the same reason that the omega ships and the advertising ships are not frequently taken out of the hangar.

as to no.1, I have an NZ purchased copy of pure - the back of the case says "licensed for sale only in australia and new zealand" so I have the same game. the important point is the code on the spine which will say "UCES 00001" which means it's the european version.
if you want to join any of us on kai, just be sure to grab all the downloadable packs :)

mclarensmps
6th November 2006, 04:49 PM
welcome to the board mate!

andy
6th November 2006, 05:43 PM
Hi there Doctor Penfold =) welcome to the site and have fun :+

Asayyeah
7th November 2006, 09:32 PM
Wellcome a board Frances_Penfold :)

I validate all what's YS & Léon said :+
I wanna add a slight extend to point 2 : Médievil & Zone are fast in straight line ( as far as you pitch your nose down ) but when they turn they loose so much speed, this is why even in low classes those ships are not the fastest overall

asa's favourite move. :p yep that's true. My 2nd one is the Back-plasma : trickiest as hell :banzai but what a fun when you can see in front of your eyes , your contender been eliminated :mr-t

:D

Frances_Penfold
8th November 2006, 04:46 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback.

The point Zone/Medieval and barrel-rolls is well taken-- wouldn't take many barrel-roles to take down a Zone craft, I suppose. I need to experiment with some of the other craft ASAP.

Glad to know that I can play y'all with my Australian import-- and yes, the UCES number on the spine is 00001. I've already downloaded all of the content! I was really eager to try out the Omega pack, after all. I still am working on unlocking everything in the game, though. I'm about halfway through getting all of the gold metals (I had about 60 or 70% or so complete in my North American version). I'll try to get Kai up and running in the next 2 weeks, and should be ready to play by then as well.

No way will I be overclocking my PSP, so that's not a worry. Glad to know I don't need to worry too much about banned strats, like jumping curbs and such. I'm not into shortcuts in general but I don't want to inadvertently go against rules.

One last question-- sounds like most of y'all use dual airbreak? I was experimenting with single airbreak, it seemed like the side shift function can be used to create a kind of "strafe" movement (to borrow a word from F-zero games) when it was combined with directional movement on the D-pad. For example-- using the side shift along with the direction pad, you can move at an angle around curves without the slow down and sharper turning associated with the air break. Any thoughts about this issue would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Lion
8th November 2006, 05:21 AM
the strafe function is available in dual-airbrake mode too, it's achieved by tapping either of the brake buttons twice in quick succession to move to that side

I would guess that for most of us the primary motivator for going with dual airbrakes is that in all the past wipeout's that's the only option available. so it's what we are used to.

I tried single airbrake mode when I first got pure and was unable to get comfortable with it

they key though is to use whatever configuration works best for you

Frances_Penfold
14th November 2006, 01:20 AM
Don't worry-- I'll use whatever works best for my racing! But I appreciate the input from folks who have put more time into the game than I have :)

Slowly getting better here, I'm about 1/2 or 2/3rds through unlocking everything in the PAL version.

Couple more questions:

1. When one engages the autopilot, the driving that is observed-- is that achievable if one was driving on their own? I mean, if you used the accelerator, air break and side shift perfectly, could you corner like the autopilot does? Just curious about that.

2. In your opinions, how balanced are the gold/silver/bronze rankings in Time Trial mode? Either my driving is SERIOUSLY unbalanced, or it's harder to beat the the preset records on some courses than others. Granted, none of them are particularly difficult :)

lunar
14th November 2006, 02:40 AM
1. The autopilot breaks the laws of physics, at least as they exist in the game. As you get better you can beat the autopilot in places where it would have beaten you before, but in other places it does things that it would be impossible to do manually and you will never beat it.

2. The difficulty of TT varies a lot. In Gamma, some of Delta and some of Omega it was definitely tighter to get a gold. :)

Zerow
14th November 2006, 08:58 PM
Particuarly Omega. On three of the tracks (123 Klan is the exception), you need to be within ten seconds of the bronze time to earn gold.

Khara Descent is possibly the hardest track of all in TT mode though. :brickwall

KANDANG
15th November 2006, 03:18 AM
khara descent is hardest for flash / rapier mode
but doing the barrel rolls on the long stretch solves the problem.
=)

Chris OTR
11th December 2006, 02:17 PM
I've not read this whole thread, but I'm stuck on Khara Descent flash time-trial, so it's good to see others at least rate it as difficult!

I can't seem to get the barrel rolls to happen on the straight, but it seems that's what I've got to fix if I want to beat it.

KANDANG
11th December 2006, 04:16 PM
after the boost pad do a turbo and then u can get 2/3 barrel rolls on the long stretch

Lance
11th December 2006, 11:22 PM
Please don't turn this into a tips thread; we already have threads for that. No sense in adding more in various places and causing difficulty in finding the tips.

Task
12th December 2006, 01:13 AM
Not strictly true at the time of posting, but that was merely due to an oversight on our part! 8 )

However, now that the problem has been rectified:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3617
If people with tips would be good enough to add them to yon new sticky thread (where they shall remain forever, for posterity!) it would be much appreciated by the generations of wipers to come (not to mention everyone already here) when any questions of piloting tips and/or tricks arises.

Lance
12th December 2006, 03:27 AM
An oversight on my part, actually; I take the blame. I created tips threads for all other versions that had records tables long ago before Pure was released, but apparently did not create one for pure. In fact, it's so long ago that I would have to look to see if I made tips threads for Fusion and 64! :D

I just looked: 64, yes; Fusion, no.