PDA

View Full Version : GC...

Stalker
11th May 2002, 12:45 PM
So... I followed the little voice in my head yesterday.. "You neeeeeed another console. Buyyy a Gaaamecuuube". (Sounds like Ren in "Ren & Stimpy"). Said and done, I bought a black cube and "Rogue Leader". Guess I have too much money right now for my own good. :roll:

rhys
11th May 2002, 02:55 PM
u wanna know how get rid of that money......

buy me a cube aswell!!!!!;)

they are just so cute. :)

Wamdue
11th May 2002, 09:59 PM
yeah, the gamecube looks nice, its so easy to just pick up in a store and buy it. But, its games arent exactly up my alley (is that the right expression ;) ) So, ill just.. not hehe

Piranha Advancements
12th May 2002, 01:53 AM
The GC looks like a big black brick though...Just rambling.

Stalker
12th May 2002, 11:30 AM
rhys: Sure I can buy you a GC. Just give me your address, credit card number, shoe size and your mothers maiden name and you´ll have it in no time. :wink:

The GC is damn cute. Even my girlfriend liked it. LOL

rhys
12th May 2002, 12:25 PM
i think u have the wrong idea there....;)

why dont u give me your address, credit card number, shoe size and mothers maiden name and then i will be happy :D

and yes the gc is damn cute!!!

Thruster2097
14th May 2002, 02:09 PM
yeah, I just went and cot a `cube, too.
Theres something which I like about them which I cant quite put my finger on.... which is really annoying!
got Rogue Leader and Luigis mansion.... I keep on getting shot down by Darth Vader on the 1st level on rogue leader, and my little luigi has cleared all the rooms he can, but my gameboy still says they have ghosts in them, and wont giveme the key to go any further!
I enjoy a challenge as much as the next man, but this surely has to be little unfair if I cant get off the first level on both games!!!! oh well...

Those discs are tiny! 8cm diameter!! Does anyone know the storage capacity of that disc?

...and anyone can have my credit card number... because it`s totally maxxed out! it`s 5468- .............. :lol:

rhys
14th May 2002, 05:22 PM
hey, give it 2 me anyway :wink:

then it will be even more maxed out........... :D

i know what u mean about the cube though, there is just something about it that i love!!!!

Lance
14th May 2002, 07:23 PM
the storage capacity of the Gamecube discs is one and a half gigabytes

Thruster2097
17th May 2002, 09:47 AM
Wow! 1.5GB on such a tiny disc!!!!
One point that I do want to make is that there is NO loading screens on a cube..... (its almost reminiscent of a cartridge.. sound familar?) partly because the disc is so small the information is so readily accesible, and partly due to its superior speed and memory. Its definatley a sight for sore eyes.
I think the PS2 and xbox discs (being virtually identical to a dvd) are both closer to 2GB, arent they?
-----EDIT------
taken from http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/dvdintro/dvd_intro.htm
For DVD-ROM discs, "Up to 4.7 GB read-only capacity per layer, 8.5 GB per side maximum"
now this is going to be a tough question, and a real good test. I would like somebody with an x-box to speak with someone with a gamecube, just to discuss how many changes there are between two copies of the same game. Going from 4.7GB down to 1.5GB surely means that a hell of a lot of content has to be scrapped
--- END EDIT -----

I recognise that the gamecube is being put down as a "value" system in this country, something you can only have if you cannot afford a PS2 or Xbox. Fact of the matter is that the gamecube really does do exactly what it says on the tin. It`s made by Nintendo, It plays games, and it looks like a cube. No gimmicks, just games. And cubes. And games, with cubes.

Speaking of games, this is the GC`s probable downfall. Not enough original titles. Ninny has three very big in-house franchises that, as far as I can see, they are not taking full advantage of. Of course, I am refering to F-Zero, Mario Bros., and Pokemon. I am waiting for E3 to see the new f-zero screens, and it promises to be an absolute stormer of a game. Mario needs to have an outing on the cube now (but something a little more fast-paced, please??) ...and the less said about pokemon the better, but at the moment we are only seeing reworked PS2/xbox/dreamcast titles

satriani
17th May 2002, 11:43 AM
Particle Systems are still refusing to release any more info on Powerdrome, which I believe is going to be a GC release. (This was the original precursor to WipEout allegedly).

Lance
17th May 2002, 03:20 PM
my understanding of the DVD capacity on first generation discs is that they hold 2.7 gigabytes on the first [nearest to the laser, and largest] layer. capacity is not equal in the layers because of the increasing fuzziness of the read on each successively deeper layer. second layer is 2 gigs or less. most PS2 games that require a DVD are recorded on the primary layer only, which may or may not be filled to capacity, so you would only be dropping from a maximum of 2.7 to 1.5, and the differential may be less than that.

the philosophy behind the GameCube was that it should be a games machine and nothing else, no internet access, no other computer functions, no video player. i like that approach, though if the videogame machines in general had mass-datadrives integrated to the machine and as standard equipment, i wouldn't object. i might even like it :)

Nathan Adams
19th May 2002, 02:51 PM
Nintendo has quite a few original titles coming within the next few months, so no worries there (eternal darkness.....yummy yum yum)
and both luigis mansion and pikmin are 100% original titles

Super Mario Sunshine will be out for christmas - and although not looking graphically cream of the crop, you know it's going to kick platforming ass

And for 3rd parties theres a lot of new stuff on it's way.
Currently I'd say it;s much better games wise than xbox by far - much more newer and interesting titles.

Lance - GameCube does have internet access (see the big empty slot underneath? thats for a modem or broadband adapter). Although Nintendo (at this stage) is not going to have it's own service - it's up to each individual software company to set up (ie. Sega uses it's own online network for Phantasy Star Online). And HD's aren't needed if you have the SD card adapter.
But I agree - a games only machine is tops. I was somewhat dissapointed by the dvd picture quality of the ps2 when I was playing with one (the bottom range sony player is much much nicer) - and theres no use in something trying to be lots of different things. GC plays games, and does that very well.

Lance
20th May 2002, 04:41 AM
but does it serve as a general internet terminal? what you say implies that access would serve only to play online games, thus still fulfilling their original concept of a games-only machine. i gotta admire their integrity if that's the case

Nathan Adams
21st May 2002, 09:19 AM
yes
but who wants to browse the internet through a console anyway??? eeewwwww........

Lance
21st May 2002, 02:53 PM
a console with a 500 MHz or faster RISC processor and a built in hard drive would have similar internet browsing abilities to any other computer as long as it has an adaptor to plug into a standard monitor

jmoid
25th May 2002, 01:00 PM
i got £250 worth of vouchers in an "employee of the month" type deal at work (hey, get me! :) ) and i can spemnd at numerous places including comet (UK electrical goods shop) or HMV (mainly music but games and videos too). if they don't do midi keyboards at comet then it's going to be gamecube city for me...

Lance
26th May 2002, 12:49 AM
congrats, jamie. you gotta get lucky every once in a while, eh? ;)

jmoid
26th May 2002, 04:59 PM
:D hehehe yeah, i'm not quite sure how it happened, maybe my name got mixed up with someone else's! i've got to go to a big dinner-thing with all the other people who work for the same company who got the same award - scareeee!!!! still it's free and i know a couple of poeple that are going, so it shouldn't be too bad (i hope)

Task
28th May 2002, 05:55 PM
I bought myself a Game3 this past weekend.
Mostly I got it for Super Monkey Ball, because I know how much fun a barrel of monkeys is. I now have my own personal monkeys, it's like having fun on tap!
When I got it, I got 3 extra controllers too. One of them was a steering wheel / control pad combination. When you take the lock off, you can "twist" the controller like a steering wheel (not like a neGcon), it's quite interesting. Now I'll probably hafta get Cel Damage too... Like I was gonna go without it or something. 8 P

So anyway, if anyone wants to compare Monkey Race times (time trial, of course) I'm certainly game for that! 8 D
(here in the 'zone, it always comes down to times)

jmoid
30th May 2002, 04:59 PM
cool, i was thinking of getting SMB too!