PDA

View Full Version : Need some tips from the pros

ITHAKA
14th July 2006, 01:52 PM
Okay so I am very new to wipeout, I got wipeout 3 and started playing it on my psone and pc.
I can play alright but I want to know how do you guys play on phantom? I cant even play on vemon at terminal with anything other than the feisar.

I do use the air brakes but the ship slides off the hits the side and bounces off and hits the other side. What I do is release the accelerator for a short time before entering the turn.

I have unlocked the first prototype track and have got gold in porto with all the ships in vemon, but I cant race on stanza inter with the quirex, I hit every side on every turn.

Some tips will be great.

PS - I use the D-pad , I just cant get the hang of the analog sticks.

Sausehuhn
14th July 2006, 02:15 PM
just some small tips:

- The Qirex is hard to handle, it's nothing you have to bother about if you can't handle it.

- You often have to turn into the curve before you are actually there.

- Not every turn needs the airbrakes.

- Try to use weapons tactically. When you have an autopilot use it at the right turn, not directly after you get it. And deactivate it (by pressing [_] ) when you don't need it anymore so you won't crash into a wall when it deactivates automatically.

- And last but not least: practise, practise, practise! When you're completely new to the series (or even just to the game) you simply can't handle Phantom right from the start. That's normal (axcept you're Asayyeah ;)). When I unlocked Phantom and played it 1st in WipEout Pure I went back to Rapier and tried to learn this class proberly 1st before I went on to the next one. You can do that with every class!

Ah: and welcome to the 'zone :)

bakkufu
14th July 2006, 02:28 PM
one trick I used, don't know if anyone else has tried this, but during a hard turn, use diagonal directions instead of just lateral turning in conjunction with the airbrakes, you pull back the nose into the turn and for some sections its a life saver!

ITHAKA
14th July 2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks for those.

I agree about practise , I already got my lap time in terminal down from 46 seconds to 40 in vector. Ill practise venom before moving on to rapier.

And Im also using that turning tip, I tilt the nose up and make some pretty tough turns.

Im still a long way from using the icaras in phantom. haha

Lance
14th July 2006, 07:09 PM
And never never never release the accelerator button.

Ever.

:D

Sausehuhn
14th July 2006, 08:40 PM
Now that was a advice in the wrong direction, Lance.
Actually a few turns are a lot easier when you release the accelerator button for a short moment. :)

eLhabib
14th July 2006, 10:17 PM
easier - maybe
better - never

;)

Zerow
14th July 2006, 10:34 PM
Forget ye not the turbo start - hold the thrust metre in the bottom right corner of the screen at three quarters of the way up to maximum right as Curly shouts, "GO!".

Lance
15th July 2006, 12:20 AM
Now that was a advice in the wrong direction, Lance.
Actually a few turns are a lot easier when you release the accelerator button for a short moment. :)

In WO3 [and also 2097] I've found that 'easier' = slower.

Task
16th July 2006, 03:37 AM
Don't work on being able to handle the higher speed classes, work on perfecting your line in the lower ones.

I'd suggest starting with the Goteki, I've found that it's a great "learning" ship. Take it into Vector Porto Kora Time Trial. Stick to the blue arrows as well as you can. Hard early airbraking before difficult turns. As you progress your line will follow the blue arrows more and more closely. You'll use the airbrakes less and less. Eventually you'll have consistent lap times and only use the airbrakes in emergencies. That's how you'll know you're done with Time Trial, move up to Single Race. Once you've got all of Vector class beat, move up to Venom. Rinse and repeat till you're a master of Phantom.

If you've got the talent, you might be able to one day challenge Mr. Phantom-For-Breakfast himself. 8 )

Me, I'm still trying to master Rapier. 8 D

AmigoJack
16th July 2006, 12:36 PM
never never never never letting go
never giving up never saying no
just go, go, never stop and never think
just do, do, do, do the right thing

i wanna go, i wanna fight
i wanna rush, i wanna blast
i wanna live it again
because i like it fast

ITHAKA
16th July 2006, 01:25 PM
Don't work on being able to handle the higher speed classes, work on perfecting your line in the lower ones.

I'd suggest starting with the Goteki, I've found that it's a great "learning" ship. Take it into Vector Porto Kora Time Trial. Stick to the blue arrows as well as you can. Hard early airbraking before difficult turns. As you progress your line will follow the blue arrows more and more closely. You'll use the airbrakes less and less. Eventually you'll have consistent lap times and only use the airbrakes in emergencies. That's how you'll know you're done with Time Trial, move up to Single Race. Once you've got all of Vector class beat, move up to Venom. Rinse and repeat till you're a master of Phantom.

If you've got the talent, you might be able to one day challenge Mr. Phantom-For-Breakfast himself. 8 )

Me, I'm still trying to master Rapier. 8 D

Amazing, thanks for the advice.
Playing in vector on some tough tracks I found out that I have to work on my line.
I have porto and megamall mastered for now with the ag-systems ship.
Now im working on pmar. That track is so hard :o

But Im getting there slowly :robot

Tomahawk
16th July 2006, 08:12 PM
Hi ITHAKA, welcome to the forums.

As it's been said before, a good racing line will be essential for mastering all the speed classes. In the lowest speed classes you won't need to use your airbrakes very often when you've found a good racing line. Try also to pitch your nose up when you are coming to an uphill section of track or when you are arriving at the end of a downhill section. This way your ship's nose will not bump into the ground.

When I played through the Wip3out single races, I mastered the Quirex and the Icaras only after I had finished all the other ships. I do not feel that much difference in the handling of these two ships.
It also helped me a lot NOT to use any autopilot in single race mode. This way you get to know really every part of the tracks. I found, that if you keep using the autopilot to get through certain tricky chicanes, you become "dependent" of the autopilot pretty fast. I should admit here, that I don't play time trails very often...:redface:

bakkufu
16th July 2006, 10:08 PM
good advice there, in fact, never ever ever ever use the auto - or shall I say "does the really hard turn for you then stacks you into a wall on a straight" pilot!!!

Zerow
16th July 2006, 10:24 PM
I'll second that, bakkufu.

Usually, the Autopilot is even less useful than if you just discard it. I've found this is true with the Autopilot in 2097 as well.

bakkufu
17th July 2006, 05:05 PM
discard it whatever, I'd rather have more energy than I would being flung into a wall at high speed!

Tomahawk
18th July 2006, 10:42 AM
Well, there's actually one track on which I do use the autopilot to improve my times: Altima in 3SE. But on all other tracks I discard it as soon as I've picked it up.

lunar
18th July 2006, 08:45 PM
I agree with your autopilot philosophy completely, Tomahawk. We shouldn`t allow ourselves to use it as a crutch, but this doesn`t alter the fact that there are a few places where no human can match its performance. It`s a double-edged thing: on the one hand it`s a weapon and you should use any weapon that helps you go faster or win, on the other hand it can damage your skills or slow your development if you come to depend on it. I suppose the solution is to do almost all of your practice in TT, just doing a few SRs to find those magic autopilot spots and to find out how to execute them without problems. But only do this after you`ve used TT to develop the skills to fly the tricky bits competently yourself. This is what we should do, can`t say it`s what I`ve always done, except in Pure and parts of 2097. :)

Asayyeah
19th July 2006, 06:23 PM
like said by mate Lunar TT is the first step you need to reach in order to know the track as much as you can, then AP in sr is surely like to find where you can get this big cherry on the top off that big pudding :D

JABBERJAW
21st July 2006, 10:35 PM
I would normally say never let up on the gas, but on 2 tracks it is useful(using icarus on phantom), if only for a short period. If you can hit both brakes at the same time ultra lightly, that might be better(my setup does not allow for that)

Lance
22nd July 2006, 05:29 AM
You use extremely unusual button assignments on your neG, Al. I tried your configuration briefly. I was just too uncomfortable with it to fly well, but I am not very patient and went back to something more conventional instead of continuing to practice. The air brakes assignments were the main reason it wasn't working for me.

Asayyeah
25th July 2006, 09:33 PM
i agree with you Lance , i ve tested Al's assigments long time ago and had the same problem mastering the airbrakes buttons.
Al can master it this is the best technique not to let up your thumb too much during overboosting ( i noticed with my regular set up i lost maybe 10% of thrust while pressing on other buttons ( II or A ) )

I don't have that kind of problem with 2097 and even i can loose thrust on part of the W3Otracks , i can still be competitive ;)

JABBERJAW
28th July 2006, 07:59 PM
competitive

Lance
28th July 2006, 08:40 PM
Hm... ''competitive''.

I thought it was the British who were supposed be have the habit of understatement.
?
Have they been replaced by the French?

stin
29th July 2006, 08:41 PM
ME?!!! LOL!! kidding, just got back from holiday! ;)

stin:D

JABBERJAW
1st August 2006, 09:43 AM
lance, that takes about an hour to get used to, but it really does help for wipeout 3 due to the hyperthrust. I like it for xl because I dont like having to have moving parts on my fingers trying to hold the controller in position.

Smoothly Does It
4th August 2006, 11:54 AM
I second whoever said just to practise, you can read all the hints you like but at the end of the day, the only way you'll master any class is practise and bucketloads of it! I've been racing W3O almost solidly for a year and just this morning I finally broke the 2:30 threshold on Mega Mall (Phantom.) Practise is the key, even Arnaud and Al slip up without practise... I think :cold