PDA

View Full Version : future wipeout music gona be good enough?

username
27th May 2006, 07:19 AM
i am wondering, wipeout 1, 2097, and 3 were all made in the 1990s - apart from massive crime rise and drugs ect lol. there was much good electro music made in this decade. now in 2006 - until the release date of the future wipeout i have not heard many electro music that still has that 90s feel to it. i have heard other electro music made after 1999 but it just lacks something i feel.
does anyone know if the future wipeout will have music that has been made in 90s or newer music?

kowareta|vojeet
27th May 2006, 09:59 AM
There are a lot of phat bigbeat etc. tunes.
Hm, Ursula 1000 on a Wipeout game, that would be great!

Zerow
27th May 2006, 11:22 PM
No idea about whether the next WipEout will feature old-school electro or new, but I am not fussed about that, as I like both equally. :)

Sausehuhn
28th May 2006, 03:57 PM
I like how electronic music evolved in the last... let's say 10 years. From very simple to more complex tunes.
Not that all simple tunes are bad and the complex ones are all superb or the other way around but imo I like more complex music a bit more. That is also the reason why I like Fusion's soundtrack that much. These tracks aren't all that bumping but they feature a lot more melodies and stuff.

But imo they did a step backward with Pure's music. It's still more complex that 3's or 2097's one, but... I dunno... somehow most tracks don't fit that much to the action that is one the track.
So I would like Fusion's music but one more step forward.
I would like to see Paul van Dyk back on the track for example. Something that features bass, beat but also quality and not just "itz itz itz". :)

kowareta|vojeet
28th May 2006, 05:29 PM
You mean utz utz utz. *g*
I prefer Boom ...tschak boom ... :D

Sausehuhn
29th May 2006, 10:58 AM
:D

*itz atz utz atz - itz atz utz atz* ;)

man you don't know how much I hate gabba and this crappy I-made-this-track-in-2-munutes-techno-tunes :rolleyes:

kowareta|vojeet
29th May 2006, 02:15 PM
I produce Speedcore and Breakcore too, Gabba is too lame.

InvaderF00
29th May 2006, 04:34 PM
I thought it was "Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss"

Vojeet has some good tunes, I think a mix of new eletro, some breaks and a good dose of progressive house could work out well.
2097 & 3 had amazing soundtracks. Fusion had a few good tracks, but Pure just seemed lazy.

As long as Dangermouse doesn't produce or MF Doom doesn't make an appearance, I think we're ok. (Nothing against those guys... Just not in my W'O". I acutally like them, but they've been all over the place lately.)

username
29th May 2006, 05:25 PM
i think that wipeout 1 for the playstation had the best music in my opinion, i hope that if the ps3 discs can store enough data that they can hold all of the music from all o the games and that you can select which tracks you want to play and what you dont (similar to pures music selection). and i would also like to see the audio config option back in the start menu, that is about the only drawback of pure i think.

Zerow
29th May 2006, 11:07 PM
I like all the WipEout soundtracks, but I agree that there isn't that many songs in Pure that fit in with the racing.

username
30th May 2006, 02:06 PM
also i would like to see the in-game music played in the menue screens like in the previouse ps1 versions of the game

Zerow
30th May 2006, 10:43 PM
I actually didn't like that at all. I prefer how it is in Fusion and Pure - a short tune that loops over endlessly untill you start an event or leave the game. The Fusion one is miles better than the Pure one, but that's just my opinion. ;)

username
1st June 2006, 09:54 AM
here are two music tracks i think should be featured in the future game: ppk ressurection (if you have seen the video you will know why) and moving-shadow-records - bytesize life (fast beat and sutes the game well i think)

if you want to listen to either of these please msn me: danc1990@hotmail.co.uk and i will send them to you

Zerow
1st June 2006, 10:04 PM
I've already heard 'Ressurection' by PPK - I think that would work not too bad. :)

ffej071
4th June 2006, 12:32 AM
As long as CoLD SToRAGE is back on the list to do a few tracks I think we're set to go.

username
4th June 2006, 04:43 PM
has anyone heard any of the moving shadow records? i have got into them since i have listend to MSX98 on GTA-LCS on the psp. some i think would work well with wipeout. especially wipeout 2097.

kowareta|vojeet
5th June 2006, 11:15 AM
Moving Shadow is a UK based jungle/drum and bass record label that was started in 1990 by Rob Playford.

http://www.movingshadow.com/

I have finished two tracks... I'm going to upload those trackes in this week. :)

username
5th June 2006, 07:59 PM
cool! hope to hear them! ;)

ShaneNewville
10th June 2006, 07:42 AM
It'd be dope if the did the next soundtrack 50/50. Half be the
high calibre artists and the other half could be done by no-name
tallent who get in via Wipeout soundtrack contest. It'd be
great to see the unheard rise out of the shadows. Of course
it'd have to be quality to make the cut... Sometimes the
little people have more inspiration to make some pretty creative
music, but that also can seem rare.

Klixonque
11th June 2006, 04:11 PM
Has anyone ever thoght about having some good Drum and Bass in a Wipeout soundtrack. Trance and electro are great but the addition to some good D&B would be nice.

exarkann
11th June 2006, 06:30 PM
^ agreed. some photek would be great! ooo or even better, some john b.(trance n bass anyone?)

while i love all the wipeout soundtracks, i feel that 3 had the best, hands down. it was perfect for the feel of the game.. and sasha did a superb job on his production.

username
11th June 2006, 07:14 PM
yes them music from 3 was very good, one of the best i think was control mkl

infoxicated
12th June 2006, 09:56 AM
Control is my favourite too. :)

I once met Gary McKill and told him that. He just said "oh, thanks very much." and that was that. I later mailed him to ask if there was a previously unreleased extended version of control, but he never replied - apparently he's a bit of a closed book.

Shame, really, as some of Gary's stuff would be good to revamp like they did with Cold Storage for the Pure soundtrack. :)

Lance
12th June 2006, 07:02 PM
I wonder if there were some bad happenings between him and Psygnosis/Sony that caused him to just not want to think about it.

infoxicated
16th June 2006, 02:48 PM
No, not at all - from what I gathered Gary is just a bit eccentric - the stereotypical artiste. Although he worked for Sony, I think he did a lot of his stuff from home, as he was never actually "in" the building, so it must have been contract based.

He did the front end music for F1 2002 (I think) and he always seemed a hard man to get hold of / motivate(!) and then suddenly he'd send a disc in with a bunch of material out of the blue just before deadline. Drove my boss nuts, as I recall. ;)

Apparently Gary wrote the entire score for Colony Wars and conducted the orchestra that performed it, too - hard core stuff. I'd love it if he'd do another track for Wipeout in the future - had my fingers crossed they'd get him involved for Pure, but no such luck. :)

Hectic
17th June 2006, 02:54 PM
I'd love to have some of my tracks featured in a future wipeout game. I always have wanted it, i've never contacted the right people to make it happen though:( maybe i'll post a video demo...

edit: haha, new pilot? because i have 8 posts? lol.

Rapier Racer
22nd September 2006, 08:31 PM
Some great music here now that they finally have their website live you can stream 6 or so upcoming tracks some euro trance spot of techno and they have about 8 more in their download store not sure if they would fit into Wipeout but Pures soundtrack was certainly different so I would say yes :D

Edit: link would be nice eh :brickwall http://www.oblivionrecordings.com/

Asayyeah
22nd September 2006, 09:12 PM
thx for the link matey :)

Zerow
22nd September 2006, 10:57 PM
Woo! An Oblivion website!

Thanks for that. :D

andy
23rd September 2006, 04:19 PM
I have to say that, in my opinion, wip3out and pure have the best soundtracks. There's nothing like listenin to Plump DJs on Sol 2, it just goes.

By the way, I'm into breakbeat and Drum n Bass. However, the Pure soundtrack didn't suit the action in the same way that Wip3out's did. 3's was dark and seemed to have the right BPM, which just suited it perfectly.

Would be good to hear some D'n'B, a bit of trance and some high speed breaks in the next one.

Airrider
23rd September 2006, 09:04 PM
Yeah, let's use all the EDM branches. Let's get more of that XL sound back, eh?

andy
23rd September 2006, 10:39 PM
Btw, does anyone know what format the next wipEout will be on?

Rapier Racer
24th September 2006, 12:17 AM
Erm, Playstation 3? If you mean the disk itself that will be Blu Ray

andy
24th September 2006, 11:12 AM
The PS3 has a hard drive, right? Do you think you could save tracks off of CDs and play them in games?

Rapier Racer
24th September 2006, 12:17 PM
Its possible after all GTA Liberty City Stories has a tool you can download to put your own tunage in the game, I have to disagree with such a tool for Wipeout myself soundtrack is an important part of the game and it would be destroyed but such a tool, maybe a few months after the game is released they could make that an option

andy
24th September 2006, 07:19 PM
It would all depend on your preferred music. If you like drum & bass or breaks and trance, then it would be fine. However, I couldn't see anyone flying to the sounds of Emo, indie or pop music. It could work. Obviously it would come with it's own tracks. And you can toggle which tracks you want.

Airrider
24th September 2006, 07:28 PM
The day someone races in the latest AG league to emo music...
"So cut my fuel lines and black my canopy..."

Shem
25th September 2006, 04:07 PM
buhhahahahaha

chri5
30th October 2006, 10:31 AM
I think they should push the music forward and use some Autechre style electronica. It needs to sound more futuristic rather than your average club music IMO..

Shem
30th October 2006, 11:10 AM
well, i'd be careful with that Chris. Why? Find me a single person who really likes listening to Aphex Twin's track in Pure (whatever its weird name was...).

But yeah, come to think of it, and refering to my theory, that good music comes back every 20 years, i guess we'd have to cope with what's left of electronica lately.

I think, that the power of 2097 music-wise was that the music was very energetic in a 'rock n roll' meaning of this word. Today, electronica doesn't have much of that feel, it's replaced by really obscure and minimal sounds, which is crap IMHO, and makes me want to go back to Deftones (Chino is fat). Anyway, i guess you can still find some good songs, which could be used as electronica anthems of our time not being cheesy at the same time.

I think it's a matter of personal taste as far as the selection of tracks for future wipeout, really, since electronic music has grown into very separate branches, which are totally different from what they came from. Uhmm, this might sound weird, but if you think of 2097, and how Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, Orbital and Photek (not to mention The Prodigy) blended with each other, then I guess you can call it a starting point. Now music of Chems from back then has disapeared, Leftfield and Orbital left us leaving pure electronica (Jarre style, which now lacks a kick, completely), The Prodigy went pop, but it's still punk-ish in it's way. Photek took DNB further and blended into DNB with a taste of true DNB in today's mayhem drum n bass scene. Everything went its own ways, which was inevitable, but at the moment of 2097 all this music was in its early stages, and had one thing in common - sheer power/experimentalizm/innovation. Which was great.

Now all we're left is looking for songs which resemble that original feel of 2097 if you know what i mean. Damn, i'm getting all philosophical about wipeout again:) Anyway, what i wanted to say is that somebody's gotta do some deep digging in music universe (universe is my favourite word recently), cause 'it ain't the same no more!'

my hint -
Tipper. Buckfunk 3000.

chri5
30th October 2006, 11:53 AM
Good post Shem. I guess it is just down to taste and memories of the game.
Lets hope the PS3 version will let users choose there own sound track. :rock

Zerow
30th October 2006, 08:55 PM
Custom soundtracks should be available in the PS3 version from the off, IMO. Not everybody is going to like and dislike the same kind of music, and if the soundtrack for the next WipEout is a stinker, you wouldn't want to put up with that, would you? How will you be able to concentrate and put in a decent performance if the music playing makes you wince*? The only other option of course is to turn the music volume right down to silence, but I don't think that many people here would want to resort to that.

Besides, if you discover a song that you like and decide it could sound really good while playing WipEout, you don't have to wish for it if custom soundtracks are available - just add it to your custom soundtrack and voila!

* - Most of the songs provided by Pure Urban are utter shite, as far as I'm concerned, and they make my concentration wane if they start while I'm in a race, as I'm unsuprisingly uncomfortable with them playing while I'm racing. Luckily I have iR Shell at my disposal, which means I can listen to MP3s on my Memory Stick and launch my Pure UMD at the same time. :D

Lion
1st November 2006, 02:54 AM
in my opinion mp3s on the memory stick (or in the PS3's case, HDD) should be choosable from the outset as your background music.
This function is not (to my knowledge) used in any PSP game at all, and is massively underused on xbox titles

kowareta|vojeet
1st November 2006, 07:32 PM
New stuff. *cough*
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2973&page=8&highlight=vojeet

Zerow
1st November 2006, 08:04 PM
This function is not (to my knowledge) used in any PSP game at all,

GTA: LCS lets you listen to a custom radio station consisting of MP3s from your Memory Stick. VCS will let you do the same as well, I've heard.

But other than that, being able to use a custom soundtrack is indeed way too few and far between.

andy
1st November 2006, 10:34 PM
there needs to be some exclusive songs as to get the sound right. There needs to be fast music. Some breaks, D&B, trance and maybe some classic songs like control by MKL.

lunar
6th November 2006, 12:04 AM
so long as the soundtrack includes a bit of this (http://www.superchargedmusic.com/splitloop.html) it`ll be just fine. :rock

DJ Techno
6th November 2006, 06:47 AM
Isn't their already the trance, breaks, drum and bass or jungle in the games...andy? "there needs to be some exclusive songs as to get the sound right. There needs to be fast music. Some breaks, D&B, trance and maybe some classic songs like control by MKL."

Sasha, Paul Van Dyk...Trance
The Prodigy, Daft Punk, Cold Storage...Electronica-Techno
Phil Hartnoll, Orbital (so what if they split and Pauls having babies)...Funky Breaks

Pure brought some new artist in the larger light of public fans.
Tayo, Phil (whether you call it new or not), Frantic...six others

mclarensmps
7th November 2006, 06:16 PM
I honestly thought i posted a reply to this thread a while ago but reading over it again i couldnt find it lol!

So i am of the opinion that there is no shortage of great music that is out there right now, what with all the exposure new artists and bedroom musicians are getting in this day and age, there is no shortage of material out there, which, in turn, means there is a lot of great material that can be used for future wipeout games.

Personally i have delved my appreciation more towards jazzy sounds and/or progressive tracks, whereas my own music has taken a turn for a more out of the box and movie sound tracky feel, i still keep tabs on what else is floating out there, and there really is fantastic music, whether its electro, idm, progressive house, bigbeat, breakbeat, trance (actually trance is becoming really washed out so much so that i will maybe find one decent song every few months), chillout and minimal.

I believe that the problem lies not there is not any great music out there, rather, it is that with so much subdivision of genre, and the emergence of brand new genre in the schene, what style of sound the game makers want to associate with the game.

I always loved the soundtracks to wipeout games, but i thought the soundtrack of pure was just average, and not outstanding, except for a couple of tracks. This has lead me to jack my psp onto my computer and shut the music off ingame, so i can play it listening to the sounds of the game, with a playlist from the pc in the background, all from my computer's sound setup.

andy
7th November 2006, 06:19 PM
Isn't their already the trance, breaks, drum and bass or jungle in the games...andy? "there needs to be some exclusive songs as to get the sound right. There needs to be fast music. Some breaks, D&B, trance and maybe some classic songs like control by MKL."

Sasha, Paul Van Dyk...Trance
The Prodigy, Daft Punk, Cold Storage...Electronica-Techno
Phil Hartnoll, Orbital (so what if they split and Pauls having babies)...Funky Breaks

Pure brought some new artist in the larger light of public fans.
Tayo, Phil (whether you call it new or not), Frantic...six others

yep, there is - and that's the way I like it. I think that it should stay that way because it just feels right.

Sakijep
16th November 2006, 02:59 PM
music from Cold Storage !

All the musics he have made for wipeout1&2 are too good&beautiful.
i m still not bored of them and i think he put something in all his musics that make u feel something u can't find elsewhere.

swift killer
31st July 2007, 04:03 PM
i recon the following tunes are wipeout;
fischerspooner - emerge (dave clarke remix)
luke dzierzeck - echo
fluke - atombomb (chemical bros remix) running @ 136bpm
plump djs - remember my name
' ' - scram
' ' - redshift
' ' - mad cow
drumattic twins - drumattical
elite force - krushyn:4
ILS - 6 space
JDS - nine ways (plump djs remix)
king unique - to the left (stanton warriors remix)
kosheen - catch (radio edit version)
kosheen - hide you (koma & bones remix)
krafty kuts - bass phenomenon
stakker - humanoid (krafty kuts remix)
stanton warriors - da antidote
stanton warriors - get em high
tayo meets acid rockerz - prophet dub

superjar
18th October 2007, 10:21 PM
My favourite soundtrack is wo2097/xl because i think it's a very good mix of genres, and it featured hits as well as some hard to find tracks (i.e: fsol's landmass and chemical brothers' dust up beats).

I think that future wipeout soundtracks should follow this trend, being a view of the electronic music scene of that time (focusing on the styles that fit in the game), but not necessarily based on hit singles only.

Rapier Racer
20th October 2007, 08:58 PM
From the Pulse website in my opinion the games soundtrack is way more than good enough, I like the direction they went with it it's better than Pures, which was good but not as good. (Excluding Oblivion downloads which were great :nod)

Now we can add music from past games Pulse will be the best ever!

Chill
20th October 2007, 11:15 PM
Yes, I have all audio music of all past Wipeout games... Hopefully the music download availability will be included in all future Wipeouts, for the PS3... and mabye even possibly the reselling of previous Wipeouts... that would be great. :)