PDA

View Full Version : Actual velocity in Fusion..

RolandofGilead
3rd May 2006, 07:54 AM
..is actually half of what it says. I come to this statement from some very simple math concerning the result of the length of the track divided by my time compared to the average speed I was given after finishing.

I haven't done this for the other games but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this in Fusion or any of the other games.

Lion
3rd May 2006, 07:57 AM
an interesting observation, and I'll have to do a comparison for some of the others :)
but why have you posted this in the wipeout3 forum when it's a fusion centric question?

edit: (3.2 km) / (14.4 s) = 800 km/h <-arnaud's talons reach TT single lap. so that's about twice the speed that the video shows.
also, interesting that it's a nice round number

Sausehuhn
3rd May 2006, 12:11 PM
yes, Fusion is never as fast as it says.
but you notice that even without calculating. It does never feel like more than 1000 km/h.

Asayyeah
3rd May 2006, 03:37 PM
edit: (3.2 km) / (14.4 s) = 800 km/h <-arnaud's talons reach TT single lap. so that's about twice the speed that the video shows.
also, interesting that it's a nice round number

Lol good point Léon , but i am not sure one day to break the sound barrier ... under 10 sec on talon's ? 8)

JABBERJAW
3rd May 2006, 05:52 PM
Someone(besides me) should do avg speed for each of the games(based on best lap times) for each track to see what is supposed to be the fastest.

Zerow
3rd May 2006, 11:35 PM
Aye, the speedometer in Fusion does seem to be rather inaccurate. I don't really mind this that much though, to be honest. I still enjoy Fusion, even though I'm not going as fast as it says I am.

Asayyeah
5th May 2006, 12:48 PM
yes Zerow we need to forget the reality in this game ( not saying that all other wipe are real in term of speed but fusion is the worst) there's no adequency between the feeling you get when you race with a ship at 100% and the speed of which you can hope. Don't talk about the 3000 kph reached in zone mode that's bullshit ( even it's really hell fast at zone 60 , the difference between a piranha(100%) 1300 kph and the zone ship at 60 =3000 and more : this is just silly absolutely no sense for me imo).
Let's compare to W.Pure : in zone mode when you reach a gold medal ( zone 25 or 30 ) your avg speed is between 950 to 1050 , it's a bit underestimated compare to real speed ok , but which is real is even you reach zone 60 your avg won't be such as 3000 or so , mine is around 1500 (zone 66 coridon )which sounds more logical for me.

pardon me if my idea isn't really clear but i ve had a short night of sleep.:paperbag

Sausehuhn
5th May 2006, 04:06 PM
on the other hand: it doesn't say it's in km/h...

Zerow
5th May 2006, 10:58 PM
Mabye Fusion uses an entirely different speedometer rather than K.P.H. or M.P.H.? Sounds ludicrous, but it might explain it.

RolandofGilead
6th May 2006, 01:56 AM
Since it's always off by half exactly, I assume it is an error in the developer's physics library. Thanks for replies everyone.

Task
6th May 2006, 02:23 AM
Actually, the developers physics engine is likely perfectly correct.

More than likely, some exec saw the alpha version of the game and said something like this:
"The numbers in the speedometer don't go high enough. Games like XG3 have much higher numbers being displayed. Double all the values, that'll fix the problem."

And lo, it was done.

I can't know for sure, but I'd place a hefty wager on it.

Smoothly Does It
8th May 2006, 12:32 PM
The Voice of Task.

The Voice of Reason.

Task
8th May 2006, 06:49 PM
8 D

And everyone listens to Reason, right? 8 )

Sidenote: Snow Crash was such a great book.

Lance
8th May 2006, 08:55 PM
8 D

And everyone listens to Reason, right? 8 )

Sidenote: Snow Crash was such a great book.

suuure they do. I see it happening all the time on forums EVerywhere. ;D

Task
9th May 2006, 02:15 AM

Now I just _don't_ know what to do!

8 )