PDA

View Full Version : PS3 launch delay

Lance
14th March 2006, 11:17 PM
it's been announced that the Japanese launch of the PS3 will be delayed till November. supposedly Sony will say that problems with the blu-ray drive security spec is the cause, though standard players will apparently still be launched in May or thereabouts. it is speculated that the real reason is that Sony is attempting to add a further level of anti-piracy security to their blu-ray operating system and hardware.

that would not surprise me at all, in view of their recent history.

eLhabib
15th March 2006, 05:48 AM
aw man, they are not gonna get around piracy anyway, might as well release the damn thing now!

stin
15th March 2006, 11:57 AM
No matter what the guys do and they always comes around it in any machines. Not just gaming machines also digital as well.

stevie

Lion
15th March 2006, 05:34 PM
the delays could have some positive side effects...
hopefully this will mean that the launch titles are more polished, less buggy, and perhaps even greater in number :)

Lance
15th March 2006, 05:57 PM
though it seems doubtful, i wondered if the North American and European launches of the console might be delayed enough for the PS3 Wipeout to be available, if not on launch day, at least very early in the console's life.

Sausehuhn
15th March 2006, 07:31 PM
not that bad at all, because I hadn't buy a PS3 before the next WipEout anyway. And that won't be released before 2007.

Besides I see wonderful things to come for the PSP! I Just say camera, GPS and of course PS1-Emulator (WipE'out'', WipEout 2097 and Wip3out on the PSP!!!).

source (http://pspupdates.qj.net/PS3-Delayed-PSP-Revolution-Coming-Soon-/pg/49/aid/10840)

Lance
15th March 2006, 09:04 PM
from this morning's Sony press conference:

''Finally, Kutaragi got to the PlayStation 3. The launch date for the PS3 was announced as being some time within the first ten days of November 2006. Unlike the PlayStation 2, this launch is now scheduled for simultaneous release in Japan, the United States and Europe...''

Thruster2097
16th March 2006, 12:45 AM
thats interesting... it would be the first time that SCE have attempted a global simultaneous launch ever.
Fingers and everything else crossed for that but unfortunately I'm not holding my breath as I clearly remember the embarrassing delays on the PS2 along with most of its major software titles.

A setback this long can only be a good thing for the consumer, for one point it gives the dev teams more time to iron out bugs on launch titles which are going to be heavily scrutinised, the second point is it gives SCE plenty of time to manufacture the additional peripherals/add-ons.
Two points that microslags would have been wise to bear in mind.
Speaking about the "competition" as it were.... yes it now means that they have a guaranteed year with the latest console on sale but when you consider the PS3 will be using technology far superior to the x360 and blu-ray discs with all of their 50000 billion Gb/disc superiority, there really is no competition.

Come on Sony, I'll be waiting with hard earned cash and a preowned '360 box.... see you november?

Thruster2097
16th March 2006, 01:03 AM
just received this message from GAME stores UK.
------------------------------------------------

Dear Customer,

At a press conference this morning Sony unveiled some tantalising details about PlayStation 3.

PS3 is scheduled for a worldwide launch in November 2006, while contrary to earlier reports, it seems the machine will ship with a 60GB hard drive (whether this comes with the PS3 as standard is to be confirmed). Sony also confirmed back-catalogue compatibility with PSone and PS2 titles, which will benefit from PS3's high-definition display capabilities.

Check out the story on the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4807858.stm

Please note that at the present time there is absolutely no official information on the design of the console or its controller, the exact European release date, the pricing or the launch software line-up.

As soon as we have more information, we will let you know!
------------------------------------------------------------

hopefully they will confirm backward compatability for the dualshock2 controllers!!

Lance
16th March 2006, 01:24 AM
another little detail:

'' Sony is targeting a production rate of 1 million units a month for each market, bringing available units up to 6 million worldwide through November and December 2006, Kutaragi said.''

if they can do that, then there should be no shortages as have dogged certain other recent console releases. ;)

eLhabib
16th March 2006, 10:32 AM
Sony DID attempt a simultaneous release in the US and Europe with the PSP, and we all know how that turned out. So, I am not expecting PS3 to hit european shores before 2007...

Asayyeah
16th March 2006, 01:10 PM
2007 for us european , i am pretty sure of this too :mad:
I ve read somewhere that the cell processor costs to Sony 300 $ and the Blue Ray reader 200 $ , Sony will probably lost money for his new console or will sell it at higher price than Xbox 360.

If this good news is confirmed : ' back-catalogue compatibility with PSone and PS2 titles, which will benefit from PS3's high-definition display capabilities. ' it should kick our arse on a HD playing 2097 or W3O.
Damn i first need to buy a Tv like that and then waiting for ps3 + wipeout :)

Roger
16th March 2006, 01:40 PM
Looking forward to Wipeout 3D 8), eventually.

Daylight
16th March 2006, 01:58 PM
I think I'm going to start playing Euromillions. That 115.436.126,00€ prize never sounded so good in my life...

stin
31st March 2006, 03:15 PM
Yes it will be region free for games but movies might be coded and they will let everybody know soon.

Just read today`s paper on the computer`s column.

stevie:)

Crusader
4th April 2006, 09:46 PM
@ asayyeah: No kidding. I'm actually happy about the delay though, because now I have time to save up money for a Pioneer 1080p HD Plasma TV 8)

Asayyeah
5th April 2006, 12:03 PM
If i want your future plasma pionner , i should saved up money ( just a little bit longer than you in matter of time ) from now to ....the launch of PS4 :robot .

here's my tv , don't know if i can have HD on it? (http://www.wkonline.com/a/Coby_CXTV1_5_BlackandWhite_TV_with_AMFM_Tuner_B000 06I56A.htm) :D

eLhabib
5th April 2006, 12:59 PM
are you serious???

Lance
5th April 2006, 04:37 PM
mine's a 13 inch; i am basking in luxury. :D

Sausehuhn
5th April 2006, 04:58 PM
I noticed that my monitor is actually bigger than my TV :dizzy

But we've got a nice 16:9 TV with a flat television tube which is a few years old, but is still brilliant (even when it doesn't feature HD - how if it has a tube?!), in our livingroom.

eLhabib
5th April 2006, 05:30 PM
there ARE HD tube-TVs, and they are said to be the best in quality actually, a lot better than flatscreens, be it LCD or Plasma, which is probably the reason why they are so FREAKIN EXPENSIVE! (and HUGE)

Sausehuhn
5th April 2006, 05:33 PM
yeah you're right eL, forgot about that because I was speaking about my old TV that was made for around... erm...7 years or more? So I'm sure it's no HDTV.

Looking forward to OLED-screens, though. Especially in terms of price.

Lion
5th April 2006, 07:16 PM
I bought a new computer screen last week, I wish this had HDMI inputs, as it's native is 1920*1200, meaning it's the right width to show 1080p at native, but with black bars above and below
I'm sure I'll be able to find an hdmi-dvi adapter when it comes to it for the ps3 (they are the same signal, but hdmi carries sound too)

Task
5th April 2006, 09:27 PM
there ARE HD tube-TVs, and they are said to be the best in quality actually, a lot better than flatscreens, be it LCD or Plasma, which is probably the reason why they are so FREAKIN EXPENSIVE! (and HUGE)

When I did my research, that's what I found out. The LCD stuff looks promising, but isn't there yet. Plasma is all bright and shiny, but it's got serious issues and there's no end in sight. CRT OTOH is at its peak, it's never been better and really can't even get any better than it is. Of course, since it's projection technology (old), it takes up a LOT of space.

Still, I ended up choosing this:
http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/product-detail.asp?model=AV-48WP55

Widescreen, proven technology, great software inside to change signal aspect, and HD on top of all of that.

It wasn't anywhere near as expensive as many of the other options though. Since plasma and LCD are the "new hotness", CRT can be really cheap.

Had it for almost a year now, the only problem I've found is that for a while I needed 3 sets of component inputs and only had 2. There are S-Video inputs I'm not using, why use S-Video when you can use component?

Another problem I've found is that my PSX and PS2, while puporting to support widescreen in some cases, have in fact not done that at all.
Very sad.
Not a problem with the TV you'll notice, but with what I hook up to it.

The only thing I would want a 360 for is to see what things look like on my screen when it's actually trying. 8 P

Anyway, getting back on topic, they can delay the PS3 as long as they like if they need that time to get real HD widescreen signals (1080i, oh yeah!) and games that truly use it.

eLhabib
6th April 2006, 11:52 AM
how much for one of these babies, Lion?

Asayyeah
6th April 2006, 12:31 PM
are you serious???

April fool's day with delay :rolleyes:

eLhabib
6th April 2006, 12:46 PM
lol I'd pull my hat if you managed to do phantom TTs on TR on THAT little b&w screen! you would see nothing but black and white pixels flashing!

Lance
6th April 2006, 07:39 PM
Arnaud may have been fooling about the 5 inch, but i wasn't kidding about the 13 inch screen.

however, we have wandered completely offtopic. *coff*

Lion
7th April 2006, 10:22 PM
how much for one of these babies, Lion?
one of these (http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/product.jsp?language=en&country=NZ&catalogType=CONSUMER&productId=230WP7NS_00_NZ_CONSUMER) set me back NZ$1530, and that's at cost through work :\
it's somewhat nicer than the 10 year old faulty 17" crt it replaces

Lance
7th April 2006, 10:41 PM
ahem **COFF COFF** :)

eLhabib
8th April 2006, 08:55 AM
ouch! my new baby for work got one inch more for happiness! I'll be getting this baby (http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/monitors/lcd/largeformatdesktop/ls24brbbsedc.asp?page=Awards) in one and a half weeks! yay!

Lance
10th April 2006, 02:30 AM
since there seems to be a determination to stay offtopic, thread closed