PDA

View Full Version : moderators?

username
22nd February 2006, 04:46 PM
hi, this is to infozx and lance mainly: i am getting into computers alot now and want to know, what do i need to know to be a moderator for discussion fourums (like these for eg). also what skills do i need?
any info is appreciated, many thanks:
dan.

Lance
22nd February 2006, 05:10 PM
there is very little technical requirement to it since the forum software is something you don't alter, you just need to learn where all the controls are and what they do.

it doesn't take skill, it takes judgement, patience, and time. to do it right you have to be willing to read every post. you also should know yourself very well so that you can realise when it's just one of your personal buttons getting pushed when a poster angers you, but what they say may offend no one else and may not be contrary to guidelines. the official PUBLICALLY posted guidelines must be the standard you adhere to. if it ain't posted, you can't use it as an excuse to get rid of someone you don't like. so make damned sure you post all the needed rules, or your forum will go to hell in a very short time. the main thing is to be civilised yourself, so that you can see when someone is disrepecting other people and so that you don't do it yourself. that can be the really hard part.

username
22nd February 2006, 05:44 PM
i see, so mainly: you have to be fair to everyone and amke sure that no-one offends each other and posts elligal content ect, while remaing patient and making sure that you stick to the guide-lines to set a good example?
thankyou lance

Task
22nd February 2006, 06:30 PM
... I think that's the best synopsis I've ever seen.