PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate track idea!

gianpa
23rd January 2006, 09:02 AM
I was reading the 'Pure sequel name' thread, one of the options was "Wipeout mobius" and I was wandering.

What if they do a track that is actually a moebius ring!?

I guess it's hard for programmers because isn't gonna be easy to figure out how gravity is working in a thing like that, but if they put the track in a space station with artificial gravity it would be realistic too...

I would love to see it done :rolleyes:

SMThomas
23rd January 2006, 09:53 AM
I like the idea about a track in space stations, well the track sections on walls and ceilings could work though but a ring track would be boring though as you have to go around it and...err do you mean a ring track that features a twist and ride on two sides of it?

gianpa
23rd January 2006, 10:43 AM
Ok, so... the basic idea of the moebius track is that you can go straight forward and run on both sides of the track without swiching side...

ok that's not really clear... (english is not my mother tongue :redface: )

ok, ok look at this animated gif:http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~gershon/EscherForReal/MoebiusAntsSmall.gif

try to follow one of the ants. You'll se that it always goes forward but it finds itself in both sides of the ring, this is because the ring is not a normal ring, in fact it has just one side!

you can extend this idea and make a moebius ring that has turns and jumps, you can do everything.

for example:

if you put a jump somewhere, at one point you will be facing the jump in the oder side of tha track lol, and you will see the other players jumping under you and going the other way! wouldn't be super cool?

Tomahawk
23rd January 2006, 10:48 AM
In Wipeout 3: SE you can already race ringlike track. It's one of the prototypes you can unlock. It's no moebius ring though... By racing a moebius ring, your craft would end up upside down on some parts of the track. The Wipeout developers already implanted this "upside down thing" on the katmonda tracks in Fusion and it didn't work out too good imo...

Mobius
23rd January 2006, 04:31 PM
There was a mobius track on F-zero gx. and to be honest. it was pretty boring.

SMThomas
23rd January 2006, 05:45 PM
Nah, it was interesting and it confused me when I realized it goes on two sides!

So yeah, mobius track could work but how it adapts in the WipEout environment can be a bit tricky...

gianpa
23rd January 2006, 08:39 PM
fzero was boring. I've never seen this moebius thing there but I remember one time I played it, and there was this track that was like you where racing outside the surface of a tube, so you couldn't fall off nor hit walls and I realized i could finish the track just pressing the accelerate button...

If you develop the idea well you can do all the tracks like moebius, maybe with some transparent sections that let you see the other side and stuff like that...

Airrider
23rd January 2006, 08:46 PM
F-Zero isn't boring once you ramp up the difficulty. Those tracks are hard to make it through at top speed, and your opposition races hard and then some. Besides, you'd take forever to finish a lap.

Now Tube Slider, that was boring.

As for tracks like that, I think a bit of WipEout's physics would make courses like this a challenge to race on. Take the gut-wrenching antics of Fusion, mix that with the truly floating feel of Pure, you've got a very dangerous course.

SMThomas
23rd January 2006, 10:04 PM
F-Zero is not boring but when it comes to GX, it's crazy!

If WipEout includes gameplay as fast and furious as F-Zero GX then it'll be awesome! :D :hyper

Airrider
24th January 2006, 09:02 PM
I gotta agree there. I'll bet a Piranha or Icaras would smoke the Blue Falcon any day under the same spec types.

CR4SH3D
6th February 2006, 03:01 PM
well aslong as the view changed so you werent upside down it would be cool
maybe it oculd be like, steel mesh so you cna always see through to the other side?