PDA

View Full Version : Early wipeout screens (not sure)

Cobol
4th December 2005, 10:50 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed before. I've seen a couple of screenshots from wipeout which feature a different heads up display and an unknown track and craft. Here's the link (check the first 2 images):

http://www.vidgames.com/ps/software/wipeout.html

Is it an early beta version or could this be the modded wipeout made for the movie Hackers?

eLhabib
5th December 2005, 10:35 AM
the version seen in the movie 'Hackers' was still a lot more basic than that. It wasn't even a true racing game, rather a game where you where flying and avoiding obstacles to get as far as possible on a neverending track and reach a highscore. Kinda like zone mode, actually!

Lion
5th December 2005, 10:42 AM
hackers showed pieces of FMV also, and if you listen to the sounds you hear an announcer voice mention mission one...
would be interesting to know what the original design direction was before deciding on combat racing

eLhabib
5th December 2005, 11:01 AM
I think it was originally planned as an on-rails ad shooter/flying game along the lines of Panzer Dragoon.

Lance
5th December 2005, 02:20 PM
''ad-shooter''
[Lance displays his ignorance for all to see]: what?

eLhabib
5th December 2005, 02:28 PM
sorry, that was a weird typo. it's supposed to say '3d shooter'. (ad shooter would be a welcome addition to the coke/puma packs :D)

Lance
5th December 2005, 02:51 PM
it certainly would! :D

maybe if i'd been more awake, i would have figured out what was meant. maybe [eyeroll] [is getting slower and dumber in his old age]

Shem
6th December 2005, 09:27 AM
as far as I can remember, the main character of 'Hackers' wasn't even playing the game, he was just pretending to do so, while a FMV of the 'game' was displayed on the arcade screen. I don't remember exactly, but the original concept of Wipeout was that it would be a shoot'em up game (the design of crafts resembled jets, hence rockets and other weapons). I sure don't remember why it all turned out to be a racing game tho. I'd have to dig deep in the forums to check that out. And about the screens - you must have noticed the shading of the track. Look at different sides of the track, one is brither than the other one, it makes a cool effect, which was absent in Wipeout. I think it's just a matter of different textures (*same with Gran Turismo - PSX), but still, looks awesome!

Drakkenmensch
6th December 2005, 12:52 PM
I think it was originally planned as an on-rails ad shooter/flying game

You get bonus points for your stray rockets that take out the advertizing panels along the track? :D

bakkufu
6th December 2005, 01:03 PM
lol we need that mode for the coke pack tracks in pure dont we?

Lance
6th December 2005, 04:50 PM
i watched Hackers for the first time either early this year or late last year. if i recall correctly, the first time we see the game, our hero's future gf is actually playing the game, after which he shows off by playing it and beating her high score. [points for destruction by shooting]. the gamers/fans surrounding them stand in awe and admiration.

eLhabib
6th December 2005, 05:30 PM
exactly. note that he is using a control device consisting of 2 flight sticks, and moving them in such a cheesy way that I am pretty sure the actual game sequence was just a movie recorded by some of the psygnosis guys ;)

Lance
6th December 2005, 06:22 PM
it was just an FMV, unfortunately, but in the story, the characters are supposed to be playing an actual game. too bad they're not convincing! :)

Lee Carus made the FMV, IIRC. [yikes, lots of caps.]

Drakkenmensch
6th December 2005, 06:38 PM
Yeah, when you see characters playing videogames in movies and on television, their moves rarely fits the patterns that a real player would use, especially when you see them play games like DDR and the like. And don't even get me started on "The Wizard" where the kid is playing NES console games in arcades where they were never released!

Shem
6th December 2005, 08:45 PM
ha! my bad! It's just the thing, that i remembered the FMV sequence the most. And if there was something like 'real' Wipeout in 'Hackers', then one thing that's left for me to perform is a 'HMMMMMMM.....' (with one eyebrow raised, holding my chin)

Lance
6th December 2005, 11:32 PM
the FMV was the best thing in the movie; everything else was forgettable

Shem
6th December 2005, 11:47 PM
that AND Angelina Jolie's ......

eLhabib
7th December 2005, 12:28 AM
I was just gonna say that :D

Lance
7th December 2005, 04:34 AM
lol
uh... see... i'm gay, so that did not even occur to me. sorry about that. ;)

Lion
7th December 2005, 05:24 AM
and I take it that dade in the red latex dream sequence wasn't your thing either?

I love that movie...
Hack the planet!!!

eLhabib
7th December 2005, 11:03 AM
I love the cheesy 3D sequences they used to represent the process of 'hacking' to the wide masses, who would be bored by tons and tons of code. 'Hey, hacking is like this really cool 3d game, you are flying around IN the computer and searching for files!' lol

bakkufu
7th December 2005, 11:17 AM
Hack the Gibson!!! is normally my battlecry on Counterstrike lol

Anyways, that movie was amusing, alas the practical applications of hacking are far more mundane than switching classes, proclaiming people dead and overriding sprinklers.

Shame really...

As for the FMV of Wipeout - I'm actually glad the game evolved the way it did - Imagine having a mass dogfight around a section of course only to run into a wall because you ran out of "concrete volleyballs" lol

Shem
7th December 2005, 11:58 AM
I just love the way Hollywood shows the process of hacking. All you need is some glasses, extremely fast typing abilities (focused on typing 'afl;jds;aflkjsa;fkljas;fjdafkljds;afkl' all the time), and a password to hack through. That's it! One password, and you're in Pentagon's secret database! Of course, it would be nice if the computer was locked up in a safe place with lasers, motion detectors, metal walls, floor, and ceiling, completely clean, with a super duper PC in the middle of the room. All you need is to drop down the vent shaft, while being held on ropes, try not to touch the floor, try not to make any noise......and THEN type in the password. :)
Hey, have you ever wondered why why terrorists set their bombs which can be disarmed by snapping one wire? But what's even more interesting - why the hell do they mount these big ass digital clocks counting down the time till it goes off? getting off topic.....doh!

Drakkenmensch
7th December 2005, 12:39 PM
Don't you just love those movies where those people typing 200 words per second on their keyboard never seem to need the spacebar? ;)

Lance
7th December 2005, 05:38 PM
and they nEver make a mistake! never, ever a wrong keypress. gosh. wow. can i be like that Mr. Wizard?

--------

Lion, i don't even remember the guy in the red latex dream sequence. must not have been to my taste or my senility is kicking in. although if he looked like Brad Pitt in 'Thelma and Louise', i probably woulda remembered. ;) [he was the only reason i even watched that movie][yeah, yeah. i know; typical guy; to hell with the art, just let me see a hot body. :D ]

bakkufu
7th December 2005, 05:49 PM
I was too busy laughing at the idea of wireless full screen video streaming without a modem or wireless router of any kind.

Never mind, it must have been a magic laptop he got in the post.

And as for plot holes - surely a seasoned hacker would plant commands on a laptop he was intending to mail to "zero cool" and only an idiot would spray it up and use it to hack the guy who gave it to him :D

Lion
7th December 2005, 05:58 PM
I always thought the video was on the hdd...
and he didn't use it to hack the plague, he smashed the laptop didn't he?

man we are so far off topic. mods should this thread be split off into another about Hackers?

Lance
7th December 2005, 07:15 PM
well, i'm considering it. the conversation developed so naturally from the original topic that it feels right to allow the shift, but..... Angelina Jolie's... um... accoutrements and red latex dream sequences are perhaps going too far. :D
i hate to break the continuity, but searching for topics is already so difficult that searchers could use some help. let's see if i can find a good spot to split to a new thread.

edit: sheesh, it went off totally into 'Hackers' in the second post. perhaps i should just leave things as they are. :)

bakkufu
8th December 2005, 06:54 AM
Except Johnny Lee Miller asked him who he is so it had to be two way.

Seek100
8th December 2005, 08:29 PM
Hack the planet indeed.

Yeah man risc architecture is the wave of the future! (gigantic eyeroll everytime I hear the tech-talk in that, though risc PPC based systems are far superior Intel and Microsoft are just not interested)

Seriously though great film just for entertainment value, and Angelina Jolie with short hair and biker leathers...
ahem.

whipitout
30th December 2005, 12:16 AM
You could tell if they were Wipeout screens cos you would have someone saying "its too hard" next to them

InvaderF00
3rd January 2006, 02:58 AM
OK, so to recap...
Flashy laptops + Awesome typing skillz + Staying up late smoking infront of a computer = Hackerers

Just as a side note... Too bad Psygnosis is kinda defunct cause if someone managed to dive into the Psygy vaults for a copy of the video reel... it would make one helluva bonus video to be unlocked in a future wipeout.
Hell, if it was just test run with SGI Workstations in realtime, the PS3 should have no problem doing that in realtime as well.

Hehe... Concrete Volleyballs. I think I peed a little when I laughed reading that.