PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new WipeoutZone forum

infoxicated
15th November 2005, 11:49 AM
After almost four years with phpBB it was time for Wipeoutzone forum to make the change to a more powerful and versatile board.

So here we have it - the WipeoutZone Forum powered by VBulletin.

Please bear with us whle I sort out any teething troubles we might have in the next few days.

infoxicated
15th November 2005, 01:18 PM
Looks like the Avatars didn't make the transition, folks - you should go into your User CP and choose one.

eLhabib
15th November 2005, 01:44 PM
I take it you would like some feedback?

well, the new functionality is ACE. No doubt about that. But I REALLY have to get used to the new looks, it's kinda hard on the eyes right now...

...oh and where have all the smilies gone? :(

infoxicated
15th November 2005, 01:57 PM
One... you shouldn't have been able to reply to this, so it looks like the permissions still need some work.

Two... the old smilies came with phpBB and there are probably copyright/usage issues with using them on another board. I've moved over as many as I can, but I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to the new ones. :)

eLhabib
15th November 2005, 02:00 PM
new ones? there are NO smilies to choose from IN a post! only for the header!

infoxicated
15th November 2005, 02:04 PM
What? Not even if you go advanced and select from the list of smilies on the right hand side?

eLhabib
15th November 2005, 02:09 PM
sorry if that's a dumb question, but where is 'advanced'?

infoxicated
15th November 2005, 02:12 PM
If you have clicked on the quick reply icon you'll have the option to "go advanced". If you click on the Post Reply icon you'll already be at the advanced reply page. From there the smilies are on the right hand side.

element42
15th November 2005, 02:17 PM
Well, I like the fact that it's all shiny and new. The smilies will take a while to get used to :p
I don't like it that the posts are seperated by headers. I think it was easier to read the discussion before. Is there an option to change the way it's seen? I can get rid of avatars but that wouldn't be fun.
I've no doubt I'll get used to it...

Mobius
15th November 2005, 02:30 PM
I have a friend who has just starting to use vBulletin, so i'm kinda used to the layout. But still, this will take me a while to how it looks.

Oh and i like how you can edit your posts straight away. :)

eLhabib
15th November 2005, 02:56 PM
uhm, rob, the only smilies I get are the ones BELOW the text input window, for the title.

Lance
15th November 2005, 03:16 PM
same here. whether i use 'post reply' or 'quickreply', there is only the one icon set below one's text input box, and those only apply to the message as a whole, presumably appearing only in a column to the left of the reply after it is posted. at least that's the way in worked in Opera's old vB forums.

btw, the quick edit feature is great. saves a lot of pageloading time. :D

Jittery-Joe
15th November 2005, 03:19 PM
This new forum-style is REALLY disorientating, and there doesn't appear to be a smiley bar...
Oh well, I suppose I'll get used to it eventually...

Drakkenmensch
15th November 2005, 03:23 PM
:cowboy :banzai :D :hyper

Works just fine for me!

eLhabib
15th November 2005, 04:05 PM
okay, I found it. you have to go to your User CP -> options -> there you can enhance your text input options.

infoxicated
15th November 2005, 04:11 PM
Strange - I figured everyone would have things like that enabled by default.

Sausehuhn
15th November 2005, 04:14 PM
you're a few days offline (had/have still the flu), come back and all you can see are billions of locked threads ;)

No, really. I was a bit annoyed when I went to the old forum and even more annyoed when I went to the new one.
I'm not sure about the new design. For me it looks to much as all the other forums you can see in the net. Esspecially complexity is a problem for me at this moment.
So for me the new design is not really something better (also not the smileys) - but this is not my forum and I'm sure the new forum has some serious pros.

Another design doesn't make the posts/threads bad, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Lance
15th November 2005, 04:16 PM
yesterday, when i edited my profile, i set it to have advanced options, but when i checked today, it was back to basic text. that's why i couldn't find any emoticons for use within the post text. so i re-edited the CP. works fine now.:banzai

infoxicated
15th November 2005, 04:19 PM
Lance - that account was deleted so that your old one could be imported.

Saeusehuhn - we offer a full moneyback guarantee for those of you who are disappointed.

eLhabib
15th November 2005, 04:20 PM
I am sure I will get used to navigating the new forums, but there is one thing that ticks me off: it shows me there's a new post in, say, the pilot's lounge. I go in there, read the post, go back to main page to check if there's new posts in another section, and it STILL tells me there's a new post in pilot's lounge. what up with that? please fix.

SMThomas
15th November 2005, 04:31 PM
I know it looks uncomfortable to you all members but get used to it and you should do fine.

To me, first it looks strange but now it looks quite advanced! :D

Drakkenmensch
15th November 2005, 04:33 PM
There's bound to be kinks to work out of course, as with any major change, but eventually we'll learn to love it for sure! :D

lunar
15th November 2005, 04:51 PM
the new text options are lovely. So many new ways for us to annoy people with different colours and fonts. Might be a good idea to keep that stuff to a minimum. ;) My only complaint is that the new wink isn`t quite winky enough, and so I would love the old one back, but other than that it looks highly efficient and if it helps the mods to mod then it`s all good.

xEik
15th November 2005, 04:54 PM
I guess I'd prefer a more customised look that is easier to the eyes. I'm sure that it will come in time.

On the bright side, I'm released from the duty of upgrading the forums. JK ;) :p

Lance
15th November 2005, 04:58 PM
lol
oh, yeah. how about those constant security updates to php, eh? fun stuff. :bomb

Hellfire_WZ
15th November 2005, 05:32 PM
Wow, looking good! Nice stuff Rob. :)

Lance
15th November 2005, 06:17 PM
....I go in there, read the post, go back to main page to check if there's new posts in another section, and it STILL tells me there's a new post in pilot's lounge. ...

yep, that annoys the hell out of me, too. it is possible by using the option in the Quick Links dropdown menu in the top bar to mark the thread as read, but that is a PITA, and should be done by the software automatically without required input from the user

edit:
oo oo! has just discovered a ''New Posts'' button in the control bar at the top.

Roger
15th November 2005, 07:36 PM
As with every change from something familiar, it'll take a while to get used to the new layout, but already I like it... a lot! Love being able to browse the memberlist, and hey - pointing at a thread title shows the beginning of it! I'm sure there's a lot more goodies to discover.

Yeah, I for one won't be demanding my entry fee in return ;) Good one, Infoxx

(I also see the "location" info has returned, hope it won't be abused like before)

Asayyeah
15th November 2005, 08:06 PM
Hi Rob , great job dude :) obviously for a locked topic it's a bit like an ' open bar ' : i like that way and also the new layout :hyper

Even it's quite disturbing at first ;)

infoxicated
15th November 2005, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it is quite a striking change, but I'm doing my best to tweak the colours and images to make it feel more like home.

Hellfire_WZ
15th November 2005, 08:19 PM
The interface does seem a lot more flexible than the old phpBB forums, and I like the idea of being able to track threads you've posted in as well. The WYSIWIG posting window is also a great addition, no more having to preview messages. I think this is going to work really well.

Dominator
15th November 2005, 08:57 PM
Love the new look, pleasing to the eye and easy to use, very posh.

Task
16th November 2005, 12:05 AM
I'm almost amazed at how well everything carried over!

New forums up and running, this is definitely worthy of a news post on the main site. 8 )

8) 8) 8) 8)

Distrupto
16th November 2005, 09:45 AM
Wat is goin' on here??? WOZ is now powered by vBulletin? At first, it looks tacky, then u kinda settle into it. I liked th old choice of smilies better, these ones r rather odd. Apart from a little line and being blue, the wink smily is almost the same as the smile smily. See? Hey, how do u put these things on? Is it okay to use those old smilies? Hey u can attach files here!!! So long, imageshack!That seems to be one good advantage.

Edito: OK, the smily prob has been sloved, just that, the old smilies and new smilies dont realy fit with each other.

Rapier Racer
18th November 2005, 04:07 PM
ooo super new forums! I was getting a tad concerned about some smilies not being carried over but I found my favourite one :turd excellent

piranha wiper
18th November 2005, 04:22 PM
excelent, looks like all the other forums im on now, kendo word and bbforums , har har har, at least i dont need to reregister sorted

good job the sigs arnt active, ive seen too many people in other forums with huge sigs, no need

Rapier Racer
18th November 2005, 04:48 PM
I was just having a quick peak at the member directory when the following caught my eye

User Name - Anti Grav Man Posts - 0 Join Date - 04-07-2002 Last Visit 01-01-1970

heh this site sure is alot older than I realised

Rouni Kenshin#1
20th November 2005, 11:17 PM
Wow, it's been a while since i've been on the bords(my spelling is still bad) and i love the new look infox sorry to say that i bought Burnout Legends insted of the memmory stick so i'm still stuck on Altima VII and no more downlads. But i hope to catch up soon

SilentShadow13
21st November 2005, 06:47 PM
I use vBulletin on some other forums that I post in, and I think it is a good system. Hope it works for you guys!

infoxicated
22nd November 2005, 09:11 AM
That was one of the factors in my decision to change - I use it at a few high traffic sites and I found it to me much more usable than phpBB. :)

Axel
22nd November 2005, 09:23 PM
Yup, very nice change here. Alot of additions here and there, but i'll get used to it. So is the main website getting a face lift too?

infoxicated
23rd November 2005, 02:22 PM
Eventually, yes. :)

Axel
23rd November 2005, 11:36 PM
Guess I wont hold my breath then LOL :D

Dimension
8th December 2005, 11:42 AM
like the new forums foxy, nice one :)
*edit* sorry for the late post, haven't been about ;)