PDA

View Full Version : Missing The Pitt Lanes

Dominator
9th November 2005, 09:38 PM
"I really do miss the Pitt Lanes" :(
I know wipEout is all about racing, but i do miss hearing "Contender Eliminated"
which, imo, you hear alot less with the new shield recharge method in Pure:!:
Remember how challenging it was making your way back to the Pitt Lane to recharge your shields, always having to watch your six, great fun :D and im not talking about Fusion, by far my least favorite :blarg
Pls don't get me wrong i love Pure and it's new shield recharge system, i just miss the old too :(
What do you guys think :?: :?:

bakkufu
9th November 2005, 09:40 PM
It was cool, but kind of annoying too - at least the Pure route, when you do send down an enemy craft in flames, you feel soooooo much better for it!

Dominator
9th November 2005, 09:48 PM
Too true, harder, but much more satisfying to make a kill in Pure :twisted: :evilgrin

bakkufu
9th November 2005, 09:52 PM
especially when you pull off a barrel roll charging a plasma or something, the racing and weapons can be used really really agressively in multiplayer as one of the guys at work found out. twas a fluke, but then again it was the long straight after "robots make robots" jump.

Dominator
9th November 2005, 10:53 PM
"robots make robots" :?:
Excuse my ignorance :!:

Seek100
9th November 2005, 11:36 PM
On Chenghou there's a long right-left S-bend just before the big jump and on the right turn part of it there's a neon sign reading 'robots build robots', just some ingame advertising.

Dominator
10th November 2005, 12:02 AM
Cheers Seek, dunno how i missed that one :oops:

Distrupto
10th November 2005, 05:17 AM
The pitlane is more realistic, and makes a damaged craft watch out and slowly go around to the pitlane trying to save itself. Like in F-1, wen a cars tyre starts losing pressure or a wing comes off, they have to somehow hold it together until the pits where they get it changed. Weapons absorbing is just a natural progression in advancing technology.

richchestmat
10th November 2005, 06:42 AM
More realistic than hover cars picking up missiles and quakes by running over certain glowing squares on the track?

Lance
10th November 2005, 07:42 AM
presumably all the weapons are already on board, and when you pass over a 'pickup' area, you just get a one-use activation code transmitted to you. the code changes on every pickup so that you can only fire one weapon till you get the next code pickup

Ajescent
10th November 2005, 09:11 AM
I've never thought of it that way before but now you put it like that? It sorta makes sense...

username
10th November 2005, 10:02 AM
you know what? when i heard that there was gonna be no more pitt lanes i was happy bout it. but i now am very slightly missig them too! :oops:
i wonder if they will be in the ps3 wipeout?
instead of healing you ship so quickly, they could be really slow to make te game a little more challanging.

Rapier Racer
10th November 2005, 10:12 AM
Screw pit lanes and trying to stay alive until you reach them the new system is much better since you don't have to worry about slowing down to enter a pit lane you might not even make it to, take 2097 for example on Gare d'Europa I was trying to enter the pit lane almost out of energy and as I was turning round got smashed by rockets and then another ship came along and bashed me into the wall and you know what happened next right?

Oh yes and as for the pits taking ages to dish out the energy that’s not fair on the weaker ships now is it?

Distrupto
10th November 2005, 10:29 AM
Yeah, at GD Europa, I had several collisions with AI trying to get into the pitlane. And it kept charging and only reached full at the very end of the pitlane. Weapons absorbing is quick and only partially recherges ur shields.

username
10th November 2005, 10:31 AM
i see your points. maybe then they should stick with pures ideas.
but i still think that as soon as you hit the absorb button it should take at LEST ten seckonds for the energy to be fully absorbed.

Drakkenmensch
10th November 2005, 10:34 AM
That would mean absorbing only two, three weapons tops per lap on a Phantom race. And if you picked up another awful weapon during that time, you'd be stuck an entire lap with useless weapons instead of getting another 4-5 chances to get something useful.

Distrupto
10th November 2005, 10:37 AM
i see your points. maybe then they should stick with pures ideas.
but i still think that as soon as you hit the absorb button it should take at LEST ten seckonds for the energy to be fully absorbed.

Wen ur absorbing a disruptor and its taking ten seconds, u may miss out on the weapons at several pads. The recharge time is good as it is already.

username
10th November 2005, 10:44 AM
maybe you could still pick up other weapons as when recharging the icon would dissapear! 8)

Jittery-Joe
10th November 2005, 11:15 AM
I think that on the classic tracks, they should have left the pit lane as just an alternate racing line to retain the authenticaty (sp...), but in the new tracks, I don't care that much.

Distrupto
10th November 2005, 11:21 AM
the classic tracks r not the same as there originals. They r neotronics. However, Classic2 tracks and Delta tracks should have kept the pitlanes as a split like in Sinucit.

eLhabib
10th November 2005, 11:45 AM
classic2 tracks - yeah, pseudo-pilanes would've been cool, but on the delta tracks??? how so?

Drakkenmensch
10th November 2005, 12:59 PM
Personally, I don't miss the pit lanes. Absorbing weapons adds a new layer of strategy, especially since the best weapons give the most energy when absorbed.

Asayyeah
10th November 2005, 01:21 PM
same as Drakk

A tip for gare d'Europa : Never Go into that pitlane wait for an E-Pak icon

Distrupto
10th November 2005, 02:33 PM
Ive gone into that pitlane twice. Once after my shield was one quarter and wanted to see wat a pitlane in WO is like, and once wen an AI Auricom rammed me hard, sending both of us into the pits unnecisarily. :x Only once Ive absorbed a quake, but wen Ive absorbed a Plasma sometimes, it gives 150% more shield than rockets. Once, wen I didnt want to absorb a quake well in the lead at Sagarmatha, I tried to turn around. Instead I crashed. How does eLhabib do that? :?:

Drakkenmensch
10th November 2005, 02:40 PM
He's just a total bastard when it comes to reverse quaking, is all :twisted:

I've had some mishaps myself when it comes to reverse quaking, usually I don't do it unless something catastrophic brings me to acomplete halt and I've got nothing to lose by slowing down anyway. It helps me recover from that stop since everybody else suffers as well.

Distrupto
10th November 2005, 02:54 PM
That was the only time I tried reverse quaking. After that, I never tried it on anyone. Quake is one of the strangest weapons in a battle-racing game ive ever seen, similar to the Homing Tornado or N-Tropy Clock from the N-Gages Crash Nitro Kart, one of my favorites. The Homing Tornado, which can be juiced into the Turbo Homing Tornado, releases a twister on to the track which homes for the race leader and catches him in a powerful tornado for a while. It also hits anyone between u and the leader who gets in its path. But u cant absorb weapons in CNK since there is no shield factor with bandicoots, but the Wumpas, powerful unlockable boss racers and the CNK Challenges made up for that. WO is waaaaay faster and the weapons and stuff r smoother.

Choad
10th November 2005, 03:43 PM
reverse quake eh? cant wait to try them moves out when kai works (long time with my cursed luck)

Lance
10th November 2005, 04:21 PM
''there is no shield factor with bandicoots, but the Wumpas, powerful unlockable boss racers and the CNK Challenges made up for that.''

ROFLOL

thanks for that, Distrupto; it gets my day off to a great start. ''no shield factor with bandicoots,'' [cackles insanely] aaaah. that comment put me in a great mood.

edit: yes i got up late. :D [couldn't sleep last night; brain would't shut off till 0700]

Jittery-Joe
10th November 2005, 06:54 PM
classic2 tracks - yeah, pseudo-pilanes would've been cool, but on the delta tracks??? how so?
That was pretty much what I was getting at, y'know...

Dominator
10th November 2005, 08:40 PM
Gare d'Europa Pitt Lane :?: Sorry guys it has been so long :!: Is that the one after big big jump, long straight, with Pitt Lane on left before big right hand bend and tunnel :?: :oops:
If so i do kinda remember being knocked into the pitt lane by other ships when not wanting to go in, on the other hand trying to get in and being blocked by other ships therefore missing the pitt lane all together, friggin annoying sometimes :x

Sven
11th November 2005, 03:05 AM
Eh, I don't miss pits that much. Most of them were pretty awkward to get in to, and they only came once a lap, so it made things kind of hard. And with the kind of brutalization that goes on online, I don't think more than 2 people would finish a race ever without weapon absorbtion, heheheh.

But actually, I think the main reason "contender eliminated" isn't uttered as much in Pure as XL or 3 is because Plasmas aren't instant kills anymore. Plasmas were the main thing I got eliminations with in those games.

I also think weapon absorbtion lends more of a strategic element than pit lanes.

Drakkenmensch
11th November 2005, 03:09 AM
*shudders uncontrollably at the thought of insta-kill plasma in Pure*

Distrupto
11th November 2005, 09:54 AM
I know, the 2097 Plasma is ultimate destruction, hardly any charging time, and one-hit kill. In Pure, it takes 5 times as much time to charge, and only does 90% damage to a 3-shield ship. Also, following Medieval's lead, all the AI start to regenerate shields out of absolutely nothing after Flash class. This makes them almost impossible to kill. Last time I heard "Contender Eliminated" in Pure was in a sudden clash on Citta. Poor AgS was eliminated and I went on to win in a Qirex, with Auri second and Triakis third. :twisted: :evilgrin

Sven
11th November 2005, 01:29 PM
Actually, if you make a point out of stalking a Medieval, it's not that hard to kill it. It will go down with a Plasma and some well placed rockets.

Angryman
11th November 2005, 01:44 PM
I wasn't too thrilled when i first heard that Pure was not going to have pits but instead use weapons to charge your shield.
I really like it though, more than the old system.