PDA

View Full Version : Customizing Ships...

DragonWolf
9th November 2005, 09:06 PM
Hey all. I was reading how everyone was thinking of making like a fan pack... wouldn't it be a much easier process for them to create some way to customize the ships that we already have? Like make a pack that would allow use to somehow fiddle with how much Thrust, Speed, etc we can get but only have a set amount of stat points... for example 10 or 12... Also to be able to choose the color pattern for the ship would be a nice effect... Like have a black Feisar or blue Qirex... it would allow our ships to be much more unique in their own way so we would rarely race someone with the same ship... Just thought I'd throw that idea out there, if not for a pack to do that then maybe like the next wipeout on psp...

Hellfire_WZ
9th November 2005, 09:47 PM
It's something that would have to be implemented very carefully. It could be fun if there was ever a feature to design our own craft, but I think any original manufacturers should remain with their trademark stats. It's really what sets them apart. If we could fiddle around with the stats of the original craft, then the only thing that would differentiate them would be how they look. I think it would also be wise to steer clear of any sort of upgrade system like the one used in Fusion, it didn't feel right at all. Other than that, iIf we could design a craft from scratch it'd be a pretty good little feature.

Welcome to WZ by the way. :)

Dominator
9th November 2005, 11:03 PM
Agreed Hellfire, ship stats should not be tampered with, the stats are what make each ship unique, hated the upgrade system on Fusion, didn't really like Fusion full stop :!:
Like the idea of being able to customise the color of your ship, great idea :)

Hello & welcome Dragonwolf :D

Seek100
9th November 2005, 11:42 PM
A limited customisation could be okay I suppose, it could follow the pattern of the ships in the original wipEout where the lead and second pilots each had their own unique insignia and certain sections of their craft were coloured differently. E.g.: Sophia de la Renté's FEISAR was blue and yellow with red trim, while the second pilot Paul Jackson's FEISAR was blue and white with red trim. Same for the other teams. This sort of thing could come back I suppose, but in a more subtle way, most of the ship livery should stay the same, but an insignia or a small amount of trim could be customised by the player.

Really I prefer just keeping the teams fixed as is.

Dominator
10th November 2005, 12:16 AM
Good point Seek, the ship colors should probably stay the same but maybe they could be rearanged to ones personal liking. How about having your name on your AG Craft, like fighter pilots have on there planes, Dominator 8)

username
11th November 2005, 09:03 AM
welcome dragonwolf, i agree with dominator- ship stats should not be messd with, however, maybe you could customize the ship paint-job.
sorry there was no warm welcome, here is one: WELCOME :o

SMThomas
11th November 2005, 11:44 AM
You can't mess with stats of various crafts but to me, I like the upgrade system in fusion because it's great to improve your crafts and even balance out your strengths and weaknesses.

Wouldn't be great if you can create skins to place on your favourite crafts or the menu interface? Building your own ships is cool but needs a 3D program and sometimes tricky for some users.

Jittery-Joe
11th November 2005, 04:29 PM
:? Fusion's customisation thing was a good idea, just put to use badly.

Dominator
14th November 2005, 10:56 PM
You can't mess with stats of various crafts but to me, I like the upgrade system in fusion because it's great to improve your crafts and even balance out your strengths and weaknesses.

"But the Fusion upgrade system was messing with AG Craft stats" :bomb
Don't really understand your comment :? :)

Drakkenmensch
16th November 2005, 05:34 PM
Customizing your ship sounds like a great idea, but there's certainly going to be some blatant abuse of that as you can imagine (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=173)!

Dogg Thang
16th November 2005, 09:33 PM
There is a huge problem with customisation beyond the cosmetic and it appears in almost every racing game that allows it - more often than not, getting 1st or gold in a race becomes an exercise in earning enough money or points to buy a better part or craft. Getting a new exhaust fan becomes the deciding factor in winning a race, not improved skill.

Now there may be ways to overcome this but I haven't seen one game that allows customisation that doesn't suffer from this.

Seek100
18th November 2005, 12:13 AM
The single race mode in GT games kind of gets over this, if you use one of your 'quest mode' cars it picks opponents based on the capabilities of the car as it is modified, not based on the basic model. So if you allow customisation, as you improve your enemies must improve with you, otherwise as you say it becomes an exercise in buying a faster ship to win the race. I'm opposed to stat customisation in any way myself as it alters the characteristics of the teams, without which it's effectively moot which team you pick, unless you have a 'loyalty' from a previous game in the series e.g.: I'll always fly FEISAR no matter how they make the stats.

P.S. - nice Av Dogg Thang ;)

Dominator
18th November 2005, 02:40 AM
With you there Seek, stuck with FEISAR on every wipEout, and will continue to do so :D

Would love to know how to get a customised avatar :hyper

Seek100
18th November 2005, 03:21 AM
Become a moderator.

LOL, they're the only ones who can have them, no that I'm bothered aslong as we've got the team ones.

Dominator
18th November 2005, 03:41 AM
Thought that was the case!!
Cheers Seek :)

bakkufu
18th November 2005, 07:29 AM
I'd probably either have my current avatar anyway - although I have made this icon for my Pure savegame which would be equally as good.

Dogg Thang
18th November 2005, 08:04 AM
Yep, it's a mod thing. Though that's a great AG one Bakkufu.

Back on topic, yeah I know they try to match the stats on single player Seek. That's what they tried to do in Fusion but I think you're right in that it changes the characteristics of the teams. I think more control over things is better so when you fly a Feisar (for example) you know exactly how it's going to react in any situation. That in combination with a fixed track means you'll get to a stage where you can race on instinct - which is something that was great about the early Wipeouts.

bakkufu
18th November 2005, 09:55 AM
I definately agree there, flying some of the Pure courses is now done knowing exactly how the ship will respond in each situation and directional adjustment.

Rouni Kenshin#1
22nd November 2005, 11:29 PM
these are great ideas but i think that if you made a program where you could modify the gemoetry and 3d design or creat a new one it would be really cool. I have seen this done 2 ways, really really badly, or realy well.

my best experience with this type of edetor is on the chep free downloadable game generally.

see http://generally.rscsites.org/

Dominator
24th November 2005, 04:23 AM
race on instinct - which is something that was great about the early Wipeouts.

Yes Dogg, instinct!! You literally feel, not think, your way around each circuit :D
Didn't get the same zen like feeling on Fusion as i did on the previous installments of wipEout :frown:

Seek100
26th November 2005, 01:33 AM
Pro'lly cause they had 3 variations on each track and then you did 'em in reverse as well, often I found myself flying straight into those stupid f*cking electrical barriers cause I was thinkin' of the wrong variant.

eLhabib
26th November 2005, 02:36 AM
tell me about it! 3 tracks in one environment, using the same parts of track, is the worst idea ever they could copy from ridge racer:bomb

SMThomas
27th November 2005, 02:02 PM
3 variations is ok in WipEout Fusion but it has two major drawbacks: -

Not true to the wipEout Series
The electricial barriers winds you up when you hit them (e.g. spinning you around when hit, happens often)

Dominator
28th November 2005, 04:27 AM
Spot on Seek, i do remember flying into those f*cked up electrical barriers and getting spun around, thinking to myself it shouldn't be there, then realising i was racing a damn variant :mad:

Hellfire_WZ
28th November 2005, 07:54 AM
I think Vohl Square was the biggest culprit for that, with pretty much all of the variants stemming from the circular track section near the start. It became a nightmare to keep track of where you needed to be going.

Drakkenmensch
28th November 2005, 12:06 PM
Pure has proven that there's enough creative pool within Studio Liverpool in particular and withing the community as a whole to have dozens of unique tracks to avoid reusing the same segments over and over or having to run the same track in both directions.