PDA

View Full Version : Feelings, nothing more than feelings...

UncleZeiv
9th February 2002, 04:54 PM
Fusion has finally landed in our houses... and it is a nice game. Yesterday I played it all day long, and my conclusion was that yes, I like it, but I definitely don't LOVE it.
The point is, I really liked the original Wipeout. Then, when I was told a new one was out, I upgraded my pc to have 2097 run on it. I bought and destroyed many joystiks fighting against time, getting nervous, but anyway loving 2097. When I learned that wip3out wasn't being developed for the pc platform, I bought my ps2. And, again, I loved it. It had personality: one could not like it, but developers had a very clear vision of the game (especially for the special edition), in my opinion. Beautiful.
And now, Fusion. Huge, improved, different. Nice work, but there's something about it which seems sterile to my eyes, something dirty in its concept and in its implementation. Say: what's the point in having pilot animation at the starting grid if the previous camera movements are shitty? Understand what I mean? Graphics are state of the art sometimes, but sometimes not: I was very disappointed by Katmoda 12, for example. Does it suffice a space texture to create a moon feeling? There seems to be a varying quality level throughout the game. Track design, also, sometimes betrays the "wipeout spirit" that should have been "restored" by fusion.
I repeat: I'm not saying Fusion is crap; I say it's a good game, the zone mode is fantastic, and so on, but there are many details that are wrong, in my opinion. And details make the difference between liking a game and loving it.

Anyway, have some good wipeout session and don't underestimate your thumbs' health :wink:

Bye bye

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UncleZeiv on 2002-02-09 17:55 ]</font>

Bob Todd
9th February 2002, 05:35 PM
You were disappointed by Katmoda?! That track rules! When I first raced it in the AG League, I was thinking '****! This is good!'. It blows your mind away, that track.

UncleZeiv
10th February 2002, 11:24 AM
I was just talking about graphics... it seems more a mars track than a moon track... :smile:

Lance
10th February 2002, 05:51 PM
is it supposed to be on Earth's Moon, or just some other moon somewhere?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lance on 2002-02-10 18:51 ]</font>