PDA

View Full Version : Recovery time after being hit by Quake

Dominator
30th October 2005, 11:54 PM
Please correct me if im wrong!! The AI always seem to recover sooo much quicker than i when hit by the same Quake, particularly on Phantom class. I just watch in utter disgust as, right next to me, they take off again or speed past me whilst im still recovering from that damn Quake hit. This really pisses me off :x I use my beloved Feisar :D and occasionally that pink & purple speeding bullet, the Icarus :twisted: Is there something im doing wrong fellow pilots?? :)

Lance
31st October 2005, 12:32 AM
well, you spelled Icaras wrong; that would produce bad karma. the AI is sensitive to these things. ;)

Drakkenmensch
31st October 2005, 12:42 AM
Different ships have different recoveries, I find. The Pirana is a total turtle while Triakis is rarely phased at all.

Dominator
31st October 2005, 01:41 AM
Icaras "damn" thanks Lance :oops:
"Drakk" doubt you'd have much trouble with Quake!! From what i've heard you'd probably outrun every Quake hurled at you in your beloved Piranha 8)

eLhabib
31st October 2005, 02:01 AM
except for the ones that come roaring BACK at him :wink:

but those have become rather sparse these days... *sighs*

Drakkenmensch
31st October 2005, 02:15 AM
Outrinning quakes is tricky business. To really stand a chance, you really must be racing in Rapier or Phantom, preferably with a generous head start on the quaking opponent. It's tough to do, especially since the nervous shakes that red wave of doom gives you is a direct threat to your continued ability to fly straight!

In my recent experience, I've found that the Triakis is amazingly reliable under fire, being able to continue flying straight with decent speed on a direct front or back hit. Only an off-center weapon hit or explosion that slams you on a wall can really stop you.

Oh, and speaking of teams, and Triakis... recent successes have led me to acquire a new flight suit of a different color that has always been a favorite of mine.

*zips up new silver suit with hardcore label on the right arm and danger ahead logo on his back along with X3 bomb designs*

Oh yes, this is going to work out nicely for me!

G0rT
31st October 2005, 02:41 AM
I always find that quakes tend to just catch me and then dicipate into nothing leaving the guy infront of me untouched, quite a piss off when your on your last lap and have no time to try and recover and try and close the gap between you and the guy in first :evil: . Also, Drak I barely recognized your posts with your new avatar, looks good though!

Distrupto
31st October 2005, 02:45 AM
Amazing! Drak betrayed his beloved Piranha :!: !

*gone off topic*

The more thrust ships have better recovery times, but i dont know how a FEISAR would have a problem with its high thrust. I dunno bout Icaras but Auricom is almost impervious to quakes. I have no recovery problem with it. :P

Task
31st October 2005, 04:22 AM
Sounds like MASS is more the issue in this one.

FEISAR has traditionally been a somewhat light craft, Auricom quite heavy.
Triakis is likely a very heavy craft.

I'm just guessing here, but mass is a fairly likely craft feature/stat/attribute, and even if there's no visible rating for it, it could always be a "hidden" stat.

Dominator
31st October 2005, 04:47 AM
"Drak how could you" :wink: Yeah the new suit really rocks 8)
The Feisar's thrust does help with recovery a great deal, but as Task has said and i would probably agree, being as light as it is i reckon the Feisar gets thrown around alot more therefore taking a bit longer to settle down and get going again IMO.
And as Drak said out-running that dreaded red wave of doom is somewhat nerve racking but when achieved "oh what a rush" :evilgrin

infoxicated
31st October 2005, 07:31 AM
All the craft have the same mass in Pure, but they do have different thrust/acceleration.

lunar
31st October 2005, 08:38 AM
As far as AI recovery from quakes and all weapons goes, it seems to me to depend on which lap you are on. On the first lap they`re impervious to weapons, after that they can suffer from a quake just as badly as human pilots. Quite often I come out of a quake hit better than the AI ships. While it may be true that AI ships are a little less badly affected by a quake, humans have the advantage of being able to use many different strategies to partly counter quake effects. AI pilots can`t.

I think different ships really are affected differently by weapon hits. I have flown Qirex, Harimau and Vanuber quite frequently in multiplayer. Of the three, Harimau seems much more badly slowed down by weapon hits, losing a lot more speed, where Vanuber is slightly better and Qirex is somewhat like Triakis as Drak described. This Triakis quality makes it a very powerful multiplayer ship - especially as its big shields enable you to barrel roll with little fear of killing yourself in the process.Dominator, it would be interesting if you tried Triakis for a few races to see if you still see the annoying situations you described in your post.

Distrupto
31st October 2005, 10:43 AM
Its true, light-type(low sheild) ships ARE affected worse by Quakes! I just hit a Medevil with a Quake from a long way back on Sol-2. He slid wildly and fell off the track, got teleported some distance back, but still in front of me, kept sliding, fell off AGAIN and was teleported way back behind me into a section with walls to save him. 8) Another almost-killed Medevil saved by just a bit. :evil: Triakis, Qirex, FEISAR, and Harimau were also visibly seen getting hit by the quake. FEISAR fell off once and slid a little bit after teleporting. Harimau was reversed and almost fell off. Qirex got shoved a bit to the right and slowed to zero. Triakis got swerved and set off line a bit, but kept going on without stopping.

lunar
31st October 2005, 10:57 AM
As Rob says, all ships have the same mass, so that can`t be a factor, but perhaps weapon-resistance is simply a component of shield strength. That would seem to fit what many of us have observed.

Either that or we have very good imaginations. :)

Drakkenmensch
31st October 2005, 12:03 PM
It would make sense that shield levels would affect weapon recovery time, as stronger shields would be able to absorb and dissipate more kinetic energy than a low shield paper ship like Medievil or Harimau. It certainly greatly affects the dynamics of a race with lots of opponents!

eLhabib
31st October 2005, 05:49 PM
rob, are you sure all ships in purE have the same mass stat? because it doesn't feel like that at all. for example, triakis and piranha travel a lot further by inertia than for example assegai (means when you let go off the gas in a piranha, you will lose speed only slowly, while if you step off the gas in an assegai, you will come to a halt pretty quickly). also, my assegai is REALLY vulnerable to bomb-, rocket-, missile-, and quake-hits, while a triakis or qirex is MUCH less affected. I was pretty sure that mass would be a factor in this! :?