PDA

View Full Version : Challenges

Bablos
9th February 2002, 03:56 PM
Do the customisations you achieve in league mode affect the ships in challenge mode? If I upgrade the ship damage on one of my craft, will things be easier for me to play the elimination challenges?

Just wondered, as the elimination challenges seem to be the most difficult of all. For me, anyway!

Bablos
9th February 2002, 11:16 PM
OK, I realise it's a bit bizarre to reply to my own posting, but it might help someone else along the way.

Any customisations you apply to your ship does apply in the challenge mode - if you find a challenge too tough, just come back to it once you've worked on your ship a bit!

Tim
10th February 2002, 07:53 AM
I don't think that the customization you apply to the ships in arcade, league or time trial modes have any impact on challenge mode. My experience is that the ships in challenge mode are preconfigured for each individual challenge.

infoxicated
10th February 2002, 12:06 PM
I agree with Tim - I can ask if that's a fact or not, but I don't think upgrading the ship makes the Challenges easier.

I found the best way to make the game more enjoyable was to turn off the damage simulation. That way when you're given a tough challenge the ship doesn't start handling like a brick after you've taken a few hits. :smile:

Tim
10th February 2002, 12:50 PM
Anyway, if customization had any effect in challenge mode, which configuration of a team's two ships would be chosen ?

Damage simulation may be more realistic, but I also prefer to play the game with this feature turned off. Especially in time trial I like the handling to be constant.

Bablos
10th February 2002, 05:59 PM
I see what you mean regarding which ship is choosen, but I've seen things change.

I raced Feisar in one of the challenges, and made a note of the shield level. I then went and upgraded the shield to a newer level using points I had acquired in the league. Going back to the same challenge, I checked the shield and it had been upgraded under challenge too.

Perhaps the game chooses the best available ship, depending on how well you've advanced them?

My main concern is for the elimination challenges - I can easily attain gold on most other challenges, but I can just scrape bronze in the eliminations.

infoxicated
10th February 2002, 06:53 PM
Hmm - that's interesting. I wonder if that is the case?

I'll need to ask tomorrow! :smile:

Wamdue
10th February 2002, 08:08 PM
just dont get a turbo start in the elimination challenges, and try parking on a weapon pad, then blast off as many quakes as you can, just dont fire off a turbo :wink:

Bablos
11th February 2002, 07:36 AM
I don't have the liberty of waiting on a weapon pad for quakes - all I have at my disposal are rockets and missiles, and I can never seem to get anywhere with them.

As Heaven Is Wide
11th February 2002, 09:44 AM
I dont think that upgrading the ship makes any difference to the ships in the challenges but i have noticed that if u have earned the first pilot then u race as him/her instead of the second pilot.

Bablos
11th February 2002, 06:26 PM
Trust me, it does make a difference!

Give it a whirl yourself. Go do a challenge, and note down the numeric value of your shield. Then, go off and upgrade the shields on your ship via the league. Then, go back to the challenge and note the fact that your shield has indeed increased.

Hyper Shadow
12th February 2002, 01:02 PM
I've noticed that the ships indeed do upgrade, but it has nothing to do with the upgraes in other modes. The challenge upgrade is specific to that mode alone.

I noticed this when doing the Xios challenge because it is a Xios i on the first challenge and a Xios ii on subsequent challenges.