PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances of a tool to create user skins?

captain chickenpants
13th September 2005, 02:32 PM
Not being able to get hold of any of the additional skins (grrr) it would be nice to be able to create your own.
Any thoughts what would be involved?
I would guess:
Background image (perhaps multiple ones for different game screens..)
Font (so far I have only seen the one font that is used for default and hacker skins but perhaps there are more...)
Pallete - used for the flashy loading bars and menu overlays.

It would also be sweet if you could listen to your own mp3's, as they are talking about music packs perhaps a tool to convert your mp3's to a music pack would be nice.

Not having gotten hold of an addon pack yet I can't say how easy/hard this might be. It would be nice and easy if the additional skins are simply jpg's in a folder based on the skins name, but I guess that is hoping for too much :-). I reckon it more likely to be a packed file (possibly a zip) containing all the required files.

Just some thoughts,
CC

mischiefdemon
13th September 2005, 02:44 PM
I mentioned a similar thing a few threads ago, mine was mainly about ship skins:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2694

Interface skins would be cool too though, although I like the team orentated ones that come with the addon packs. I suppose this is another great way to add longetivity after all the addons have been released.

captain chickenpants
13th September 2005, 02:46 PM
I think user skins for craft would be a lot more difficult, as the textures would need to be created to wrap on the models correctly. It would be cool though.

CC

mischiefdemon
13th September 2005, 02:55 PM
And easy to create if Templates were given... (I've come from a history of skinning Quake etc skins) I don't think ship skinning would be difficult. Especially if theres an ingame skin creator as mentioned in that other thread.

Sven
13th September 2005, 04:45 PM
A menu skin would basically be like 15 characters of titlebar text, three color definitions, and a background image. Really, REALLY easy to do. And the mechanism is already there for custom music, so that would be easy to do as well. If it weren't for the download encryptions, we'd already be seeing such things.

yawnstretch
13th September 2005, 11:20 PM
If they gave us the unwrapped texture for a ship it wouldn't be difficult to make one - but I think the game wasnt programmed with this in mind and may not read jpg files (for example from the photo folder the way tony hawkes underground 2 remix does to let you skin your own character).