PDA

View Full Version : I'll Name That Child In Two!

satriani
2nd April 2002, 12:25 PM
Hey all, I need your help. My first kiddy is due in two weeks and though my wife and I are on the money when it comes to girls names we're scratching around for a boy's.
Any ideas.............................within reason, sanity, etc would be gratefully received.

Anastasia
2nd April 2002, 02:09 PM
Hey, congratulations! Great news!

I love boys name. Here are some of my favourites:

Adam, Daniel, Dominic, Christopher, Jacob, Joshua, James, Kieran, George, Jonathan, Samuel, Thomas, Stefan, Matthew, Nicholas, Noah, Joseph.

Do you have a first names book? They generally have a lot of unusual names that are quite nice.

Happy name hunting. Hope these suggestions point you in the right direction.

My own son is called Joshua David.

Ana :D

satriani
2nd April 2002, 02:13 PM
The only one we thought of was Jake, and the name books we have are about as much help as a chocolate teapot!

Lance
2nd April 2002, 03:24 PM
!
general advice:

do not name him after yourself, a child needs his own identity, and no matter if a father wants to achieve immortality through a son, the son will never be identical to the father and should never have to be stuck with that conflict.

do not give a child a massively popular name unless you want the child to be ordinary and undistinguished. an unusual name may be used by other kids to poke fun, but eventually your child will become proud of the distinction an unusual name gives. i know i did.

do not give a child a name intended to influence it to be a certain way, such as naming him after a saint, because the child will be unique, its own person. so why create a conflict between its real identity and the character you might want to impose or direct toward? like, don't name him kenneth alexander sartwell sweetman. 'cause nobody is EVer gonna be as fast as Al! why disappoint the kid? ;)

give the kid 3 personal names to choose from rather than the mere 2 that are customary in my country. that way, he'll have a greater choice of nicknames.

i would suggest giving names from the genetic/cultural history of the parents. for example, if i were of cymric/gaelic/saxon origin, which i am, i'd prefer names from that heritage rather than, for instance a name of french or hebrew biblical origin. i would not want to be called charles [french] or jacob [hebrew] or rene [french] or matthew [hebrew]. just a thought. [i probably should have been named gawain [gavin], owen, ewan, evan, rhys [reece, reese], meredith, conor, ifor [ivor]. well, not rhys, that's what my family name comes from.

okay, that my random thought on the subject so far. ;)
^

Piranha Advancements
2nd April 2002, 03:38 PM
http://www.kabalarians.com/gkh/your.htm

525,000 names to choose from.Know their traits.Breathe down their neck.They nailed my traits in the eye.

Pyro Annarchist
2nd April 2002, 07:57 PM
www.babynames.com

Spaceboy Gajo
4th April 2002, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the link Piranha Advancements. I was curious what it says about my name which is my real name. Spaceboy is like a salutation like Mister or Sir, but with a lot more respect and dignity :)

It's (the link Piranha Advancements posted) one of those pay sites, but what they said isn't so far from the truth.

Any ways, I do agree with Lance, if you give your son an original/uncommon name he will respect himself a lot more. Sure kids are cruel when they are young, but when aren't they. They even pick on people like Steve. However, when your son grows up and finds his place in the world, he will be more assured in his place because of the character his name gave him. That he is an individual with something he can contribute to.

satriani, congrats on the baby. At least you do not know it's sex. Keeping it a surprise?

satriani
5th April 2002, 06:54 AM
There are few enough surprises nowadays.

Spaceboy Gajo
5th April 2002, 05:52 PM
There are few enough surprises nowadays.

That's so true satriani. I'd like to be surprised when and if I have a child of my own.

Spaceboy out.

rhys
7th April 2002, 02:43 PM
if its a boy.....rhys
if its a girl.......rhysette

simple see? :wink:

stin
7th April 2002, 04:11 PM
if its a boy.....rhys
if its a girl.......rhysette

simple see? :wink:

NO! Rhys you leave them alone!

if its a boy...Steven
if its a girl....Stephanie

SH 8)

rhys
7th April 2002, 04:35 PM
Thats just stupid!!!

rhysette would b just lovely!!! :D

stin
7th April 2002, 07:47 PM
WHAT DO YOU MEAN STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You talkin about my daughter`s name (well middle name!)
OCH WEEL YE WIN! OK!!

SH :roll:

rhys
7th April 2002, 08:18 PM
Thank u! :D

rhys
rhysy
rhyseni
rhysette
rhysetta

all brilliant names!!!!

stindah...... Do i win now!!!??? :wink:

stin
7th April 2002, 10:53 PM
Nice try better next time! RHYS MUAHAHAHA!! :lol:

SH 8)

Hydra XL
8th April 2002, 03:02 AM
Altair - i read in some baby name list that in a poll taken back in the 70s in Britain this name was the number 1 most hated name (out of 10), but i don't see why. Then again it does sound kind of dark. And perhaps, w/ certain last names tagged on it would sound worse. i think it sounds cool

rhys
8th April 2002, 10:02 AM
ok i give up!!!!!! :(