PDA

View Full Version : NegCon Discussion from Mega Mall challenge topic

Lance
28th March 2002, 05:07 PM
~
[points at James] hey! that guy's using a NegCon! no fair! no fair!

but seriously, i wonder if a NegCon does make enough difference to affect the records. Jay, who is quite a good pilot, seems to think that a negcon might even be necessary to put up a really good time in the faster classes. it would be interesting to know which controllers were used for the times shown in the tables. all of mine are done using the D-pad of a MadCatz. i don't like the analogue sticks at all. but a negcon sounds like a good idea, especially if there were one with 2 pairs of shoulder buttons. [i don't know what the NC actually has]

vincoof
28th March 2002, 07:35 PM
(edit: my question has already been answered in the Mega Mall challenge topic)

Lance:
The NegCon has 2 shoulder buttons, and they're analog.
There is a syandard D-Pad.
You can twist the controller.
There is a 'Start' button.
And there are 4 buttons like the XOTS where the quivalent of X and O are analog.
There is NO more than 2 shoulder buttons.
And there is NO 'Select' button.

Lance
28th March 2002, 10:17 PM
~
even with only 2 shoulder buttons that sounds like a good arrangement. analog braking with the shoulder buttons would be a nice touch if they're supported by the software. i'm fine with binary on/off throttle cos there's enough racecraft inertia that you don't need analog; so i would probably use the equivalent of the ''square'' button. When you twist, is there actual movement or does it respond to only degrees of pressure? i think i'd prefer it if the movement were near-zero.
^

vincoof
28th March 2002, 10:26 PM
Only the "twist" analog is used.
there's no analog airbrakes, no analog thrust etc.

> When you twist, is there actual movement or does
> it respond to only degrees of pressure?
I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly.
If you want to know if we really twist the controller, then yes.
After that it's pretty dangerous to use another controller because you tend to try to twist it too :grin:
(wow, so many 'T' at then end of this sentence)

AmishRobot
28th March 2002, 10:56 PM
Actually, analog thrust is more helpful than you think. The spiral in Maga Mall is a good example. :wink: Going in with the nose down (which is now easier with no risk of accidental turning), a slight twist and partial gas, I can go all the way through it with nary a waver. One smooth turn...

Like I've mentioned before, it makes a huge difference for me, though I will admit there's a huge learning curve. The two halves actually do rotate, so getting used to hitting the buttons from constantly differing angles can be tough. I was fortunate in that I owned one before, so getting re-adjusted only took about a day or so.

Also, you can adjust the sensitivity of the contoller, so you don't have to twist it all the way back and forth. Here is a pic if you haven't seen it before. Notice how incredibly ugly it is.
http://www.dbline.it/simg/joys0746.jpg

Lance
29th March 2002, 04:15 AM
~
i don't find it ugly, just interesting. but it could use longer handles; it must be uncomfortable to steer for long time periods. conditioning would definitely be required, otherwise your piloting would deteriorate quickly from fatigue.
^

vincoof
29th March 2002, 05:34 AM
Right, Lance.
I think that every pilot who uses/tried theNegCon will agree that it is a bit (a lot ?!) painful to use for a long time. Except from the black NegCon whose creators seems to have been more clever.

infoxicated
1st April 2002, 08:19 PM
I cut all this NegCon discussion from the MegaMall challenge topic because it wasn't the place for it.

Lance
1st April 2002, 08:28 PM
~
true :oops:
^