PDA

View Full Version : Classic 2 Pack coming August 1st!

Warhawk
15th July 2005, 02:27 AM
http://psp.ign.com/articles/633/633125p1.html

Excuse me while my JAW HITS THE FLOOR.

I'd have to imagine that Studio Liverpool is literally doing nothing else every day but working on new content for Pure, because they're putting out downloadable content faster than any other current-gen game. Period. The amount of content in Pure will have almost doubled less than 5 months after Pure hit the U.S. market. And aren't they working on stuff for the UK too? God damn!

... But then you realize that that's probably true.

If Studio Liverpool really is spending all of their time and resources to expand Wipeout Pure at no cost to the owners of the game, 2 things are possible:

1. Another team other than Studio Liverpool is working on a next-gen Wipeout game.
2. No one is working on a next-gen Wipeout game.

I don't mean to sound needlessly pessimistic, but it seems rather odd that a development team's entire focus is being spent on a handheld game. They're taking a big risk, here. Pure has always been in the top 10 best selling PSP games every month, but it's always been on the lower part of that list. By constantly putting out new stuff for the game absolutely free, they need a big return investment in the form of more copies being sold.

Anyway, that was all just a bunch of stuff I thought about at the spur of the moment, especially coming off the heels of learning just a few days ago that Gamma Pack 3 was already complete and ready for download. All told, I was beginning to become dissapointed in Pure due to it's overall lack of content at first, but now that the content has become sizeable, I have NO regrets for buying this game, and anyone else who owns a copy should feel pretty darn privileged.

ALL HAIL STUDIO LIVERPOOL.

syckls
15th July 2005, 02:48 AM
Wow. After the whole thing last month when everyone was getting impatient, this is a real step up. Although, an administrator/moderator may want to edit that topic title slightly, because it is supposed to say Classic 2 Pack, as in the line of downloads is called Classic 2, and since it says Classic Pack 2 it may mislead people (i.e. noobs) into looking for a Classic Pack 1.

Drakkenmensch
15th July 2005, 03:00 AM
*bounces up and down like an hyperactive kangaroo on a caffeine and sugar rush*

AUGUST FIRST! WOO HOO!!! I can't wait!!!

Thank you Studio Liverpool! You love us! You really love us!!! :D :D :D

Childlikecake
15th July 2005, 05:26 AM
Well now I'm just plain confused. I thought that the content was already made (or at lest almost finished) when Wipeout was shipped in the US. I thought they were staggering its release to sustain interest in the game. Or am I just just wrong about that?

Lance
15th July 2005, 05:44 AM
it was my understanding that the downloadable content was already complete at the release of the basic game, though the exact arrangement of the download package content and the release schedule had not yet been decided at the time

Dogg Thang
15th July 2005, 06:02 AM
Yeah I think you're right Lance - four Classic Packs have always been on the JP release schedule.

Sausehuhn
15th July 2005, 08:25 AM
Colin said one time (when the game was released), that ther're nearaly finished with all the contents. I think the contents are finished for months now.
So don't worry. I'm sure we will see a Next Gen WipEout (the WipEout series bacame a good reputation with WipEout Pure again), but I think ther're not working on it yet. They worked more then 1 1/2 years on Pure, this was a big piece of work. They're taking a break now (?)

phoenixx
15th July 2005, 09:00 AM
I believe studio liverpool doesn't work on pure right now. they had 1 1/2 years to make pure to what it is and I believe at the day of the release they had gamma and delta already finished.
They've just started a new policy in gaming. And it seems to work: The download makes sure that all magazines report about pure every month.

eLhabib
15th July 2005, 09:03 AM
I know from a reliant source that Studio Liverpool are currently working on F1 2005 (or is it 2006? - anyway, the next F1 game), and haven't yet started to work on the next wipEout. I am not worried, though. First of all, the devs don't have any PS3 kits to date I figure, and also the release of PS3 is quite a long way to go yet. Don't worry - that same source told me they are planning on having it ready at PS3 launch.

phoenixx
15th July 2005, 09:10 AM
I asked Colin about that and he said we'll have to wait to see what sony decides.
I think they watch attentively the success of pure - and I'm sure the next wipeout will come - the question isn't IF, the question is WHEN.

Sausehuhn
15th July 2005, 10:58 AM
@ eLhabib
denkst'e wirklich die bekommen das bis zum Release der PS3 hin? Die PS3 arbeitet mit 'ner wirklich hohen Grafik, ist die Frage ob da 1 1/2 Jahre genug Zeit sind :roll:
___

You're really sure the next game will be finished at the release of the PS3? The PS3 works with high graphics, I'm not sure if 1 1/2 years are enough time :roll:

phoenixx
15th July 2005, 11:25 AM
Ich glaube nicht. Wegen der Grafik wird es kein aufgemotztes PURE werden, sondern etwas komplett Neues. Und es wird sicher erst nach F1 von Studio Liverpool angegrifffen werden... Ich bin mir sicher, dass sie ein neues Wipeout bringen werden, aber ich fürchte, es wird 2007 werden....
____

I don't think so. Because of the graphics it won't be a zapped up PURE, it'll be completely new. And surely Studio Liverpool will get it on after F1... I'm sure they will release a new wipeout, but I'm afraid it'll be 2007...

Kansas
15th July 2005, 03:47 PM
Personally, I never felt that the basic Pure package was lacking anything. It's a solid in itself. The downloads, however, increase the experience tenfold...

Sven
15th July 2005, 03:58 PM
/me wonders what track he'll get on August 1

Task
15th July 2005, 04:01 PM
@ eLhabib
You're really sure the next game will be finished at the release of the PS3? The PS3 works with high graphics, I'm not sure if 1 1/2 years are enough time :roll:

It depends a lot on how they work over there. If they're building everything from scratch then no, not even 2 years would likely be enough time.

The usual way to do it though is that a significant portion of your development time is spent making "tools", programs that programmers can use to help them create the game.
Lots of tools are generic enough that you can buy them "off the shelf" and just go, this is especially true for graphical development tools. Something like track creation though? That tool would likely be quite WO-specific and developed in-house.

Assuming a similar codebase for the PSP and the PS3, all the tools they developed for Pure (and perhaps the ones they're still using since WOXL and WO3 time) are going to be modified and then reused for any Future Wipeout.

So you see, development in a years time can be reasonable. It takes a good team of developers and a lot of effort, but as long as you've got a good design it's quite possible.

Colin Berry
18th July 2005, 10:41 AM
As someone mentioned, I did say the download content was nearly finished about two months ago - things change :) that was the original planned download content, since then a few odds and ends got talked about and added, so we are still doing some download work

Kind of pleased things are now going a bit smoother with the releases of it too, sort of smoother anyway :)

Axel
18th July 2005, 11:24 AM
Thats good to know, any chance of us getting that wire05 exclusive content over to the European shores? Cause that craft was surely kickass and I love it!!! I wasn't going to get a psp, but now with all the content for pure being added, i'll be nuts to let this go :D.

Rouni Kenshin#1
18th July 2005, 11:06 PM
note to self get the last 4 medals to have beaten game agin before Aug 1st.

AUG 1st!!!!!!! :D