PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout - a potential reality?

farleft
12th July 2005, 02:04 PM
Hello everyone,
I am new here and this is my first post. This may have been said before in another thread but I wanted to ask what you guys and girls thought of the potential to create a real wipeout ship, not anti-gravity but by using the same technology that is used in the harrier jumpjet, surely it would work?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
FarLeft

Space Cowboy
12th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Hi welcome to the forums :)

I've posted this on a number of threads regarding potential AG or EG tech. Its fascinating stuff but still in its infancy, once lighter more advanced super conductors are made available this tech will really take off (excuse the pun) ;)

Check out this link: http://jnaudin.free.fr/lifters/main.htm

farleft
12th July 2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the link, very interesting.

However, I feel that we currently have the technology to create this, not anti-gravity but by using jets (like the harrier) facing down to keep you a metre or so above the ground, and jets at the back to thrust you forward.

The technology is available its just a matter of funding surely?

I notice you are from the UK, maybe we could assemble a team to get this project up and running?

Shem
12th July 2005, 03:46 PM
It's not challenging to build an "AG" craft that would use jet engines pointed to the ground to lift the whole thing up, you can use a big propeller you can stick into something that's in a shape of an 'AG' craft and make it 'levitate' too. But in these cases we get :
a) a jet
b) a helicopter

And that's certainly not anyhow related to antigravity, which is the real point here. Well of course, you can build that kind of jet thingie, but imagine how would it steer? Probably like a cow sliding down the frozen lake surface. No steering whatsoever, if you want to stick to the original AG craft design. There must be something that the craft would 'hold on to' if you wanted it to steer (like a car, or like an AG craft of W'O"). If you choose airflow that would go around the fins, the craft would be flying sideways (but i think that it would be flying the way it's supposed to be at high speed - that is around the speed of a flying jet) at best. I was thinking for a while if it would work when u shaped the craft the same way as Goteki 45, with steering fins put horizontally at the end of the craft. If there was enough surface below the craft, that would work as a wing, then if one fin forced the airflow to lift the front, you'd have your way open to steer this thing. But this idea is nothing more than a flying wing aircraft. The other way to make it steer, is to install some smaller jet engines that would steer the thing. But it's complicated, and demands tons of fuel. I'm very sceptical if that kind of AG crafts as we know from Wipeout would be up and flying the way they're in the game, even if we invented (efficient) antigravity that would respond to Earth's natural gravity.

farleft
12th July 2005, 04:13 PM
I know it wont be AG but even so, we could have a craft each and race them, using a similar stearing system to that of fighter jets.
Top speed of probably 300mph.

Driver: FarLeft
Team: Team Red Star

I can just imagine it now racing over the deserts of sahara or somewhere.

Hellfire_WZ
12th July 2005, 04:16 PM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1810

This topic should have more of the theory you're looking for. Welcome to the forums BTW. :wink:

Sausehuhn
12th July 2005, 06:00 PM
Welcome to the forums, farleft!! :D

eLhabib
12th July 2005, 06:10 PM
we could have a craft each and race them, using a similar stearing system to that of fighter jets.

erm, are you...like...a millionaire or somethin'? :P

Space Cowboy
12th July 2005, 07:35 PM
Would be great if VTOL engines didnt consume 1 gazillion tons of fuel per second :(
The lifter tech i posted earlier in the thread is about as close to WO as ur gonna get.
Boeing, BAE Systems, Lockheed & Grumman Northropp are all persuing EG (Electro-Gavitic) tech. Its the only way to go. The only thing holding it back is light weight & cheap superconductors to provide the immense electro-gravitic field necessary for levitation. These are only about 5-10 years off though, so expect some dramatic developments around that time.
Im looking at EG tech for my PhD thesis on Space-craft propulsion, I'l let you know how it goes ;)

Rouni Kenshin#1
12th July 2005, 07:49 PM
Hmmm well i have an uncle who is an investor in a new materal.

nanotubes :D

i has been done before but the ones before his were about 3%pure and efficent.

his are about98% pure and 99% efficent.

10x stronger than kevelar but only 1/2 the weight

that is the future.

Shem
12th July 2005, 08:01 PM
Nanotubes you say, huh?....

Stupid me, i thought your uncle invented a new way to smoke weed.... :lol:

Space Cowboy
12th July 2005, 08:05 PM
I can think of a few ;)

Drakkenmensch
12th July 2005, 08:21 PM
There's already an existing thread on this - check out for the "let's build a theoretical wipeout craft" thread in the pilot's lounge ;)

Lance
12th July 2005, 09:16 PM
duplication of an already existing thread. this topic closed. new members please read the guidelines, particularly the end of the thread posted by 'infoxicated'