PDA

View Full Version : new ps1

username
11th July 2005, 12:24 PM
hey. im up-grading my ps1 by putting a cooling fan in it and a cold cathode tube with some blue led,s !!
ive opend it up and the power supply has about 5 wires coming out of it !!
what two will give a stable 12 volt output?? :?

hopefully it will look quite nice! :lol:
any help is welcomed :wink:

Rouni Kenshin#1
11th July 2005, 02:24 PM
man its a PS1 not anytheing special. :roll:

Shem
11th July 2005, 02:35 PM
haha, Dude, that sounds like "Pimp My Playstation".

I'd go the whole nine yards with it - Install PS2 on the back of PSOne! Now this is REEEAL pimpin' :lol:
But seriously, post some images of your flashy sparkling playstation once you're done modding it. You won't get any help from me, sorry, i'm just good at breaking Dual Shock's.

syckls
11th July 2005, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't really have any experience with electronics, so I couldn't help you like that. Maybe... looking up PS1 circuit boards on Google could help you out. I would also guess that a more specialized message board for stuff like this would be more helpful, like the one at www.i-hacked.com.

Task
11th July 2005, 04:59 PM
12 volts? I'm pretty sure that the PSX transformer is a step-down 6V.

It's been a while since I was in there, but I think the transformer is labelled. Red is usually "power" and Black is usually "ground" (except when it's Green), but you can find out for sure by turning it on and applying your handy-dandy Voltmeter across the wires! If you're lucky you'll find a 12V difference. I think the wires are labelled on the circuit board, too. At the point where it plugs into the board, there should be PWR, GRD, little 3-letter codes like that. So check the PWR/GRD difference for voltage and you should be able to figure out how to build your add-on circuit without too much trouble.

eLhabib
11th July 2005, 06:33 PM
Black is usually "ground" (except when it's Green)

yeah, and a pineapple is usually round and spikey, except when it is a banana. :P

:D

syckls
11th July 2005, 08:14 PM
I'm thinking Task meant that black means it's a ground wire, except when the ground wire is known to be green. So that's like saying the red and juicy thing in your salad is a tomato, unless the red and juicy thing is known to be a strawberry in which case you're eating fruit salad.

Lance
11th July 2005, 08:24 PM
GReeN is often chosen to represent GRouNd because of the common letters in both names.

----------------

Rouni Kenshin#1, this is the second time today that you have belittled someone else's habits, tastes, or preferences by making a disparaging response to them in order to pump up your own self-esteem; such adolescent behaviour will not be tolerated in these forums even if you're an adolescent

quoting the WZ Guidelines:

''Always show respect for existing members - we all have one thing in common regardless of other differences.

Try to avoid pointless bickering or name calling. There are bound to be people out there who disagree with you - the world would be a very dull place if we all loved Feisar ''

and also if we all had the same tastes in what is ''cool'' or worthwhile to do.

eLhabib
11th July 2005, 08:51 PM
@ syckls:

I know what he meant, just thought it sounded funny :D

syckls
11th July 2005, 09:00 PM
Okay.

>_>

<_<

All shall revel in the power of fruit!

Lance
11th July 2005, 09:04 PM
well, it wAs funny. language and technical names are full of crazy coincidence and humour that just wonkily joggle the philosophical and logical tendencies of our brains. good thing, that.

username
12th July 2005, 12:50 PM
DAMN!! :evil: and some other 4 letter words :lol:
i opend it and managed to get a fan okay, but then i had to go that bit more stupid didnt i !!
i accidently ripped the ribbon cable that connects the cd drive to the main board!!! :cry:
i managed to get my fan and some blue leds back (i would leave them but they cost about £1.00 each ($175 approx) each!!) :lol:
i think i will try it on my ps2 but i will DEFINTLY have to be a bit more careful.
i think a blue cold cathide would look cool through the air vents at the front of the console.
the warrant on it is void or invalid or whatever anyway :wink:
also i could only find a 8 volt output on the ps1.

eLhabib
12th July 2005, 03:51 PM
hm, I never got the point of modding the looks of a pc or a console... :? the only time I look at my PS2 is when I turn it on or change games. - but hey, maybe that would change if I had a fancy, blinking, shimmering, intercooled PS2 :D

Shem
12th July 2005, 04:09 PM
It's similar to people who tune their cars by changing the bodywork (usually by putting some stickers and buying plastic fins and bumpers), you cannot see the body of a car when u drive it. Yeah, but we're talking Playstation here, and that's a totally different story, and modding a good old Playstation is completely fine with me :lol: But people driving their '92 Honda Civic's with 'custom' plastic fins (available at any car parts store), 14" rusty rims, yellow colour with black 'SONY' stickers across the hood, and an exhaust pipe of a size of a sewer pipe, that should make you belive that this car has 750bhp, should stay the **** away from me, or else - meet my set of keys scratching down the side of your car :P :twisted: Whoops, got offtopic.
SO - yeah Playstation is very fragile inside, that's very true username. Of course you 'managed' to rip one wire off, but sometimes, heh, that's funny, you don't even know what happened, when you try to run your PSX seconds after you've put it back together. It happened to a number of my friends and me too, when i busted PSX to pieces, put it back together, and nothing. Did the same once again, and this time it was working....wierd stuff i tell you, wierd stuff....Username - is there a chance for us to see what you did you your baby? I think it's not only me who wants to see the guts of your playstation with a fan installed inside.

username
13th July 2005, 10:07 AM
the reason i wanted to move the disc motor cable is because i wanted to get a disc loading led fitted in it. so when power went to the motor, it also lit up a small red led through a bridge rectifier (a component that changes alternating current to direct current) i thought i should put that in because i think the motor has reverse polty in it when the motor stops (and an led can only cope with dc)

does the ps2 have a 12v output or something else, any help is good !!