PDA

View Full Version : If I want to transfer mp3s from my computer to my PSP...

Kansas
7th July 2005, 10:05 PM
...what exactly do I need to do?

Please help me figure this out. I am not exceptionally computer savvy and I want to start using my PSP for other stuff besides games...

Curved
7th July 2005, 10:16 PM
Get a USB mini-b to USB A (standard USB) cable, plug the mini-b end into the PSP, the standard end into the computer, turn the computer on, put the PSP into USB mode, wait for the computer to detect the USB mass storage device (the PSP's memory stick), and then put all of your music into a folder on your memory stick called PSP/MUSIC/, where you can sort your music in one-deep folders ( PSP/MUSIC/ [folder name] / [file name].mp3 ). -- the manual says it will not detect music in folders two-deep from MUSIC/.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=USB+mini-b

-- The mini-b connector is on the top of the PSP for reference to its size.

EDIT: Also, read pspupdates.com for cool hacks to get emulators and such on your PSP. They end up being pretty big, but I have a 1GB stick and after about 150 songs, 150 pictures, an NES emulator with 20 games, and Doom with four .wads, I have 250 mb left.

Kansas
7th July 2005, 10:43 PM
what if I only have the standard memory card?

how much stuff can I put in there?

Rouni Kenshin#1
7th July 2005, 11:00 PM
32 megabyts of music. :guitarist

Curved
7th July 2005, 11:04 PM
~10-20 songs

EDIT: -- oh and you probably have the gamma packs and save files, so make that more like 5-10 songs. The basic stick is just that, a basic way for you to use the system. Its only really good for holding game data. A 128 mb stick will probably go for around $40 and will let you hold a few CDs worth of songs, so it might be worth investing in one of those (if not a 1GB w/ 8 times the storage for 4 times the price)

Kansas
7th July 2005, 11:05 PM
sweet... I'm gonna DL all my Meshuggah there tonight.

Drakkenmensch
8th July 2005, 01:08 AM
If you use the 32 meg standard stick, your two gamma packs already chew up 14 megs of that, with more to come. Consider that your average mp3 is 4-5 megs for a good quality enconding, that leaves room for 4 or 5 songs at most. Maybe 8 or 9 if you go for low quality rips. Bear in mind that once all the download packs have been released for Wipeout, they'll total over 50 megs!!!

I strongly urge you to get a bigger memory stick. I got a 1 gig stick last week, and I shoved over 600 megs of music on it right away ;)

Kansas
8th July 2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks, guys! :D

G'Kyl
9th July 2005, 08:26 AM
Curved: As far as I heard, emulators don't run many games at a decent frame rate (unless you overclock) and with sound. I think I stick to saving for a GP32 and not struggle with constant firmware hacks and the like. :)

Ben

Curved
9th July 2005, 01:17 PM
Actually, the NES emulator runs like a dream -- Ive been able to play all of the roms I have and use all of the features with absolutely no problems. Ive tried the SNES emulator, and it is quite sluggish unless you overclock your processor by a bit and enable some frame skipping. -- I was hesitant to overclock the processor (even though it is designed to opperate at the frequencies I was setting it to), but I settled with x1.1 graphics speed and frame skip of 2 to reach a very decent fps while playing megaman X. Also, the doom emulator is awesome just fyi -- it runs great, and with the number of .wads (game packs) out there, the play is endless.

Kansas
9th July 2005, 02:50 PM
where can I download the NES emulator?

also, is there a SEGA Master System or Genesis emulator?

Curved
9th July 2005, 06:25 PM
http://www.pspupdates.com/, yes, and yes.

G'Kyl
10th July 2005, 07:24 AM
I heard of the Doom emulator - does it run smoothly at 222 MHz?
Well, I gave the site you mentioned a look and it seems like 1.52 firmware hasn't been hacked yet anyway... :)

Ben

Kansas
11th July 2005, 05:33 PM
sweet