http://www.scee.presscentre.com/imagelibrary/detail.asp?MediaDetailsID=26315

Sexy. 8)

Dimension
17th May 2005, 12:10 AM
Now is it just me or does that link not work? :(

Heavy traffic mebbe to blame? *shrugs*

Chill
17th May 2005, 12:14 AM
Aproximately how long did this take to load? Because it's taking centuries of my life from me. :wink:

[Edit]:I'm in the same situation as Dim, the site's down for me too. Aarrgghh!! This of all sites!! :x

infoxicated
17th May 2005, 12:19 AM
IGN have it now:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614619p1.html

Chill
17th May 2005, 12:26 AM
Wow, thanx!! Have it now. That is sexy!! :roll:

Dimension
17th May 2005, 12:28 AM
Nice, cheers Foxxy! It's very pretty, I'm in my happy place! :D

Lance
17th May 2005, 01:15 AM
i see that it can read RW discs for both CD and DVD, but can it write to them?

--------

geez, they even went back to separate buttons where the D-pad ought to be. definitely a retrograde step

eLhabib
17th May 2005, 06:28 AM
sorry to say that, but I don't like tha looks of the console, and especially the controller AT ALL. It just looks too over the top techno for me. Playstation always use to be rather square and rectangular, why did they change this line of design? And the controller? To me it doesn't look appealing, and it doesn't look like it feels good either... very disappointed :(

But apart from some heavy design issues, the specs are SWEET.

Manic
17th May 2005, 06:33 AM
*Droooool* 8O

No seriously, look at the specs! Arr!
(and yes Lance, I know I'm a spammer...)

The pics look a bit computer generated though...

Hellfire_WZ
17th May 2005, 06:55 AM
Oh my god.... that is one sweet console! Just look at the screenshots for The Getaway! Great to see Sony are keeping the backwards compatibility for PS1/2 as well. Dunno what to think of the controller yet, I'll have to get my hands on it to form a proper opinion, ergonomically it might be very comfortable.

Tokai
17th May 2005, 09:33 AM
Someone is writing that "it's bigger than xbox 360" only because is about 2cm bigger...uhm...ridicule :)
Of course people who write this are a fan of Xbox...I sincerelly don't care about "bigger" dimension because it looks like the old Ps2 dimension...so It's nice.
Dimensions were the problem of Xbox...not Sony.

About design: the controller it's awful! but I've read that they didn't show it at E3...so it may be changed untill console relese (like it was with PSP design).
However I like the console design...it's stylish and modern...

There will be, however, a lot of problems: even if Sony has an impressive hardware spec the success of a console is due to games...and Xbox360 will be able to do the same things with less power (as it looks now)...But this could be only at the beginning ;)

An hardware like that will cost more...Blue ray disk are more capable but there's stll a "war" between two standards....and I'm not sure that they will be able to solve the problem. So Xbox will have a cheaper dvd player even old but enough for its necessity (how much games are on 9 GB dvd ?) while Sony will have a new cool BR Disk but more expensive.
Without mention Cell Processor and memory (extremelly fast)

Xbox will be released 6 months before Sony...Ms has learned from its mistakes...

But Ps3 will be able to play Ps/ps2 games....that's nice to me ;) But i really don't understand how to use old saves: where's the "old" memory card slot? I can't copy it on a SD/Memory Stick...
Do I have to play WO again to have my times on the new Ps3? :)

Manic
17th May 2005, 09:35 AM
Hopefully it will allow the PS1/2 games to be played at full quality as well. W/O 3 SE was NOT beautiful on the PS2. It looked better on the original PS.

Space Cowboy
17th May 2005, 10:52 AM
lol! It looks like a vacuum sealer to me, or maybe a tanning bed :D

Its going to be a close one this, but i reckon M$ will take the lead, especially considering all the Halo fan boys out there that will snap up Halo 3. Just look what Halo 2 did for the Xbox. Also I think the 6 month head start by M$ will help the 360 sell.

Personally Im not getting either until a chipped version comes out :wink:

Tokai
17th May 2005, 11:49 AM
I've seen pictures of Ps3 like a vacoom.... ;) But It's not important....A chipped version will be relased ew times after the official relese...as usual!

What will lead Microsoft to the top of videogames industry is Hale 3 yes...but also japanese developer support...The power of money brought also Square Enix to develop for Xbox360...and we don't have to forget that Sony owns shares of Square Enix...

"pecunia non olet" ;) and japanese developers don't care if that console will be japanese or not...If it will start to seel well in Japan too there's no chance for Sony to dominate.

Well, i would not be a problem but exclusive for all the 3 different machines will push players to buy all of them...A lot of persons that I know...actually have all 3 systems...

What will be really a pity is that we will have to pay more than 65€ to get a game...whatever system you 'll buy...for the happiness of piracy....

mid
17th May 2005, 01:08 PM
The PS3 does look disturbingly like the Phantom. I'm really, really not liking the fact that it no longer has a flat 'top' so you can't stack things on it (like my Cube). I had the same whinge about the XBox, but at least 360 has solved that one.

As much as I dislike it, though, we all know we'll get one anyway when the next WipEout comes to it.

With all those USB ports, I wonder if Liverpool's launch F1 title will still support the Logitech Driving Force?

Space Cowboy
17th May 2005, 01:08 PM
65 Euros!, thats daylight robbery! :evil:
Blimey, im definitely going chipped then. :wink:

mid
17th May 2005, 01:10 PM
Why bother chipping? Just get a US machine to start with, and import all your games...

Manic
17th May 2005, 01:20 PM
I don't think they meant for it to have things stacked on it. I think it's meant to stand on the side in some "noveau design" bookcase.

Space Cowboy
17th May 2005, 01:22 PM
Why bother chipping?

For reasons im not supposed to discuss on this board :wink:

Rapier Racer
17th May 2005, 02:01 PM
I think it looks nice, I'd buy one anyway if it looked good or not but ahem they can stick that controller where the sun don't shine, why have they changed it? Is it becasue of that company immersion?

Prometheus
17th May 2005, 02:07 PM
XBOX360: triple core powerpc processor each running at 3.2GHz, but no blue ray support and backwards compatibility unknown, around 1TFLOP computing power

PS3: 8 core powerPC processor each at 3.2 GHz with blue ray and pretty much every other disc format... and backwards compatible... with 2TFLOPS power...

all I can say is wow... and I cannot wait for a new wipeout... psp connectivity with pure anyone?

Space Cowboy
17th May 2005, 02:29 PM
OMG! Oh yeah baby! The new Wipeout (and lets face it, there will be one), couldl be absolutely **** hot! (fingers crossed)
I've made my mind up already ;)

Sausehuhn
17th May 2005, 02:36 PM
WOW!!!
Looks stylish! :)

But the controllers... I don't know... they should take the design of the old ones one more time, it's the best. I doesn't look bad and it makes a good handling.

Space Cowboy
17th May 2005, 02:37 PM
They look like boomerangs. If I'd wanted one of those I could have picked one up in Oz last year. :D

Prometheus
17th May 2005, 03:20 PM
LOL Space Cowboy..
should make for interesting moments...

Player 1 loses a game
Player 1:"dammit" *chucks his pad at telly*
Player 2:" **** guys!"
Players 1-4 duck out the way of the returning pad

haha, pads are bluetooth apparently.. so they really are boomerangs... actually they look like those odd sidewinder pads... I dunno, hopefully you can still use old pads.

edit:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614707p1.html
OMG!

Chill
17th May 2005, 03:27 PM
Player 1 loses a game
Player 1:"dammit" *chucks his pad at telly*
Player 2:" **** guys!"
Players 1-4 duck out the way of the returning pad

haha, pads are bluetooth apparently.. so they really are boomerangs... actually they look like those odd sidewinder pads... I dunno, hopefully you can still use old pads.
... :lol:

Yeah, I don't like the controller either, but it's definately going to change if it doesn't feel right in the hand. Some people don't buy a console just because of the poor controllers, and this would probably bring down sales bad. I think it'll change, no worries here. :wink:

I still think the PS3 looks damn good, though I also thought about the flatness it could have, but they wan't it to stand out from the PS2, and literally stand out in front of your living room. :P

I heard that the PS3 can play PS2 games, but I heard that they couldn't play PS1 games. Is that right? I'd rather just play all Wipeout games on the damn thing rather than only the PS3 version/Pure version(with fusion sucking and all), I certainly hope this man is mad. I wanna play PS1 Wipeout on it!!! 8O

Prometheus
17th May 2005, 03:30 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614620p1.html

both, and possibly with some improvements... but I can't imagine a great amount... 1080p will really show the games age...

Sausehuhn
17th May 2005, 03:38 PM
Er... I took a look at the offical E³ website and saw a few trailers. If these graphics are really In-Game (and I think Gran Tourismo won't frustrate us at this point) I'm really, really, really, really surprised!
For example the graphics of Kill Zone and Final Fantasy (hehe, the female characters are looking sexy :lol: ), combined with the graphics of GT would give a unbelieveble WipEout. No more 2D visitors without acting and no more stupid corners at places where they souldn't be. It would look so realistic. Realistic Explositions, realistic light effects, realistic physics and textures in high quality! All in all a WipEout in a never seen graphic experience. Now take the right designers and a good handling and we would get the WipEout!

Colin? Could you please confirm that a new WipEout will be made for teh PS3 (maybe as a launch title as well :P ) ?

Tokai
17th May 2005, 03:41 PM
Ps3 is able to play all ps1 games...but my doubt is: where is it a slot for old memory card? That's the real question...Do I've to play again all games to have my saves on a memory stick /sd ecc? :)

About games price and import...It will cost to import from the US don't you think? and the price could be more expensive than 65€...I've read that EA said 69€ for a game.

That's really bad. I don't know elsewhere but her in Italy Metal Gear Solid 3 have been sold to 69€ !! If this will be the new trend of the games industry...

Mobius
17th May 2005, 03:41 PM
I really hate to be a ass but i dont like it.

-The controller was almost one of the trademarks of the playstation heritage, so that is sacralidge. (psp controller sound goo to me :))

-The logo is the same font as the spiderman movie logo.

-Curves are not the playtation style. It looks like something of one of these shopping channels.

Seeing as theose images are cgi anyhing can happen in the next half hour - but by looks only i like the revolution :oops: power/games wise...playstation anyday!!!

Tokai
17th May 2005, 03:53 PM
i think the design of controller will be changed before official relase that's why is was not shown at E3. And it's not sure that also console design will be changed.
Reember what happened with Psp? design was changed before relese.

About curves...well you can stack the new PS3 on the old ps2 :)

Hellfire_WZ
17th May 2005, 05:17 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614859p1.html

Sausehuhn, you were right about the videos. You think the stills look sweet, just have a look at what it can actually do with moving images. This video is a remake of the intro sequence of Final Fantasy VII and is the official tech demo for the console.

Lance
17th May 2005, 06:12 PM
there seem to be a lot of conservatives here when it comes to controller designs

Space Cowboy
17th May 2005, 06:35 PM
LOL :D Death by PS3 joypad... not very heroic is it :)

Looks like the PC is getting out gunned as far as value for money goes. If these HD games live up to their promise of Hi-res, HDRI quality graphics then why bother spending £300 on a new GFX card.... bollox to that I say :)

Chill
17th May 2005, 11:53 PM
Ya, I like the Nintendo Revolution design too Mobius. It's kinda shocking for me to see them begin to use CDs, I thought it would kinda set them closer to Sony and Microsoft, thus giving them more competition to have to worry about. And the black look, like PS2, Xbox, and PSP!! Interesting to see the first console from Nintendo be black. :wink:

That movie was sweet!! The girl freakn' hot, the guy, well, he was a little corny for me. :lol: But the graphics and movement design is wonderful (and they were probably simply working on redoing the intro of Final Fantasy rather than changing it), so that would allow for the Corny acting. :wink:

The shape isn't that good, but mabye they just couldn't fit all the technology out flat, and mabye the curve offers more cooling rather than smearing it out, and covering up other parts of it. But I'm not that really worried about it, as I'll get over the design when playing the games. :P

Axel
18th May 2005, 12:04 AM
Hmmmm it does look like a grill, i like this and the Revo alot. they both definately beat the Xbox360 in terms of design.

Manic
18th May 2005, 06:41 AM
Hey, it does come in black as well (as seen in the pictures). And I love that "metal casing" design! It not only looks good but represents the kind of hard, metallic design style I'm used to. Which is, of course, the coolest style of them all, since you can combine it with nearly every modern style since the beginning of the 1900s. Just watch "Men in Black" (the first movie, NOT the second which sucked ass). They had it made.

I do agree though that it could be mistaken for a grill under the right (wrong) circumstances. Hopefully George Foreman will not handle the advertisement.

phase 2
19th May 2005, 04:35 AM
awsome pics this go round between sony and microsoft should be like the system wars when nintendo and sega went at it I'll put my money on sony though. :D altough all the other systems should be interesing as well um not a huge nintendo fan but I found out today that all games previosly released for every nintendo console system will be available for play on the Revolution! :D G4 host can act so stupid :roll: they need come out with a gaming network thats more seriose. I can't really knock g4 though they'r like the only gaming net work around :D

Shem
19th May 2005, 05:55 AM
Dudes - I may have missed ps2, but i won't miss this one. There MUST be a wipeout for ps3. If this happens (or at least is confirmed by SONY) - i'm gonna sell my soul to the devil to get one. I will edit this post later (gotta go now)

*opens the window and jumps out screaming "Banzaiii!!!!!!!"*

Manic
19th May 2005, 08:31 AM
?!?!

Hey, that was my line!

And I used to have a gamecube too, but I sold it off for computer components. The only thing actually worth playing on it was Metroid Prime. Still, that game rocked though...

And just why are they making a console which can play the old 8-bit games as well? I only started gaming once I got a PS, which means I missed out on those old games (that and the fact that I was too friggin' young to understand ****), and I don't see why people appreciate them that much.

mid
19th May 2005, 09:43 AM
PS3: 8 core powerPC processor

Actually, it's a single PowerPC and a 7-core Cell. The reason for the slightly odd decision of 7 cores is that they aren't getting very good yields on the 8-core chip they fabricate, and this allows them to use it even if one of the cores is dead.

Shem
19th May 2005, 11:37 AM
Manic:

Hmm...you're talking about ps3 being compatible with 8-bit 'games' ? Well....explain what you mean, because i think that PSX was 32bit, PS2 was 256bit (correct me if i'm wrong), i don't even know about PS3 (1238757215bit ??) but compatibility with '8bit' games? I don't think we can even talk about this, because being compatible with 32bit is equal to being compatible with both 16bit and 8 bit. Did i miss some info or what? Anyway, I can understand why you don't dig the old games, (maybe it's the gfx), but you must understand why people like oldschool games (call it that way, tho Wipeout will never become oldschool to me). First of all you should play the old games by the time they were not considered 'old' at all, so let's say 10 years back in time. You won't do that, so i'll try and make it short. Games were original , there was a better gameplay than modern games, games were totally varied, developers were not afraid of experimenting (as today it would cost the developer company a loss of money if the game didn't sell well). That's why oldschool is good (IMO BETTER!) than newschool. Over and out.

Oh, and the last thing - oldschool games have SOUL.

Rapier Racer
19th May 2005, 12:32 PM
Maybe he was talking about Nintendo

yawnstretch
19th May 2005, 02:08 PM
I'm very interested in the PS3 but I doubt I'll be an early adopter because of pricing and game selection. That said I think the body of the console is terrible but I actually think the new joypad looks amazing :o

PSP will keep me going till end of 2006 at least so I'll wait. Killzone2 looks fabulous.

infoxicated
19th May 2005, 02:29 PM
I'm in the same boat - having found out recently that I'm going to be a dad (yay for me :roll: ), I imagine I wont have the finances for a PS3 at launch. Whenever I pick up a PSP I think I'll be quite content with the stuff on that - SOCOM - FIreteam Bravo, Madden, Wipeout Pure, and A.N. Other racing game (probably burnout) should keep me happy until that PS3 is a bit more affordable.

Or I'll just do the usual and in a crazy moment of weakness I'll stick it on Visa! ;)

Mobius
19th May 2005, 02:58 PM
Congrats Foxy!

lunar
19th May 2005, 03:17 PM
So the Fox is having a cub - congrats. Speaking as someone with three of them I can say its not the worst thing that can happen to someone anyway. :wink: We have a lot of laughs with them.

If a wipeout is coming for PS3 I`ll get one. If not I probably won`t. But my next-gen console acquisition will be probably be the same sort of process as yours, and be the same as it was for my PSP:

Step 1 - Moan about the price.
Step 2 - Attempt to persuade myself I don`t want or need one.
Step 3 - Get one anyway as I`m swept along by forces beyond my control.

which come to think of it is kind of like how I ended up with kids. :wink:

With these next-gen consoles I really hope they put some of those googleflops or whatever of processing power into gameplay and AI, not just graphics. Its time the AI in games moved onto another level - its the one thing that makes me get bored of games a lot quicker than I used to.

Chill
19th May 2005, 03:40 PM
Congrats, Infox!! Enjoy raising him (atleast try :wink: ), and show him as much attention as possible as a younger child (though don't spoil him, and if it were me, I'd spank him if he got into trouble), and you'll have a good child. :wink: The Chill Child, oh wait, never mind. :D

Ya, I believe Shem confused this with the Nentendo Revolution topic, just a little common mistake. :wink:

infoxicated
19th May 2005, 03:41 PM
Step 1 - Moan about the price.
Step 2 - Attempt to persuade myself I don`t want or need one.
Step 3 - Get one anyway as I`m swept along by forces beyond my control.

which come to think of it is kind of like how I ended up with kids.I agree with you there, Lunar... well, all except for the "moan about the price" bit - that bottle of Blossom Hill was fairly cheap! :lol:

I too hope that next gen the graphics will simply plateau and more time will be spent on the AI. Put it this way... I'm kind of bored with Gran Tourismo 4 and I'm at 19%, but if the AI was even a little better I think I'd still be playing it. Next Gen Wipeout should be awesome in that department, I think - the guy who done the Pure AI only had a very short time to do it in, so next time around it can only be better.

As far as graphics go, every game is going to look stellar on an Xbox 360 and a PS3 - the only way for them to truly create great games is in the experience. For racing games that lies in the AI, not the particle effects. :)-

lunar
19th May 2005, 03:56 PM
:lol:

I think Pure`s AI is very good: light years ahead of most driving games I`ve played, and it has to take account of weapons too. Start the guy on Ps3 wipeout right now, I say.

Hellfire_WZ
19th May 2005, 04:28 PM
Congrats Foxy, all the best :wink:

It looks like the processing power is allowing games not only to output incredible graphics, but open up greater scope for the AI in games themselves. There's a video up of Vision Gran Turismo, and from what I've seen, there's at least 20 cars in a race and they seem to be jostling for position this time rather than just moving like a herd of sheep. The environments look amazing too. That's what I think would define another Wipeout game on the PS3. The environments in Pure look outstanding, just think what could be done with that sort of processing power behind you.

Whatever happens though, I think I'll be a little too far in debt to afford one when it's released, I'll probably be on my tenth overdraft by then. :lol:

Rapier Racer
19th May 2005, 05:51 PM
I don't think I'll be buying one sharpish either as none of those launch titles interest me and also the price of the PS3 when it first comes out is going to be rediculous, at least we can have a good laugh at it.

Mano
19th May 2005, 06:33 PM
Congratulations Rob!

My mother used to tell me when i caused her trouble: " damn boy, i hope you get a son like yourself!" -hey old woman, dont send negative vibes!, although it sounded more like a curse- but i know deep inside she had a lot of fun seeing me cause trouble...very deeeeeep inside :D (she snickered, then tried to change to a serious face but that was sooo easy to tell)

now you are officially an "Old Man" ;)

yawnstretch
19th May 2005, 08:00 PM
Congratulations Infoxicated! The world is a better place already ;)

piranha wiper
19th May 2005, 08:02 PM
go foxman, :clap , so the ps3 eh? so this one definatley has the "cell" techno bable, cool, the console looks class, but the controller looks more like a funky boomerang with added affects, but, it looks really nice to hold have to wait and see

Lance
20th May 2005, 12:32 AM
Egad! a Dad!
congratulations, Rob.
do you know yet if it's a son or daughter? or do you want it to be a surprise, the old-fashioned way?

lunar, i dunno, three kids happening to me would not be the best possible thing. um.. specially since i am unpartnered, poor, and gay. :D :lol:
but i do hear good things about parenthood; i'm just too childish and irresponsible to be a dad.

infoxicated
20th May 2005, 09:22 AM
Same here!

Dunno what it's going to be yet - but I do want to know... kind of means you can plan better. :)

Task
20th May 2005, 04:37 PM
8 D Plan? You think you can plan this stuff? You poor deluded fool! 8 D

That child is going to take over your life, but the kid'll be so cute that you won't be able to hold it against them. 8 )

I hope Fliss is doing alright, you can't hope for much more than an easy pregnancy.

Congratulations to the both of you.

infoxicated
21st May 2005, 08:26 AM
All I meant by "plan" was what colour to paint the spare room!

Thanks for your kind wishes, Task :)

science
21st May 2005, 04:09 PM
That controller will be one of the most comfortable things you've ever held in your hand, I can all but guarantee that. The batarang controller that I used to use to make my best times with (before the negcon) was nearly identical to the PS3, sans analog sticks. I never have been able to find where I hid that thing!!!

Lance
21st May 2005, 04:21 PM
and i, for one, am disappointed that you haven't, but i am eternally grateful that you sent me a neGcon in its place. :)
the batarang and the PS3 controller look like they would be as good as non-twisting controllers get. if anything, i would like to see the angle of the wings opened out even more, sort of like a boomerang, and with the two sets of shoulder buttons set side by side under the index and middle fingers of both hands, so they can be pressed simultaneously or in really rapid sequence.

infoxicated
21st May 2005, 04:44 PM
Pictures taken by www.joystiq.com showed clearly that the controller is a "Conceptual Design" - so the silver boomerang is probably just there for show, and will be replaced by something a bit more mainstream when the time comes.

Lance
21st May 2005, 05:37 PM
well, fooey. ;)
the 'standard' dual-shock type is a good functional design, but it can definitely be improved on

infoxicated
21st May 2005, 08:07 PM
Absolutely - the analogue sticks are too imprecise for both driving games and first person shooters - they'll definitely have to improve the quality of the input, although the original design is still a classic, IMHO. :)

piranha wiper
21st May 2005, 10:48 PM
it does look a bit awkward to hold, im sure people would agree that you wouldnt want to get used to a different layout of buttons, so as long as its the same then im happy

Manic
22nd May 2005, 02:48 PM
?

Don't defend the shape of the controller too much. I showed the pictures to a friend of mine who plays Wipeout too and she literally said "What the f**k is that? Some kind of messed up sex toy?!?".

mid
23rd May 2005, 03:02 PM
All I meant by "plan" was what colour to paint the spare room!

I'd really recommend going down the neutral route for the colour of the walls anyway. We've gone for a fairly standard cream, and then added things like the alphabet zoo stickers from Bang On The Door, brightly coloured clocks and funny-shaped lighting from Ikea, along with brightly-painted drawers to make things more fun. Not only is bright blue everywhere far too exciting on the eyes for a little kid who's supposed to be asleep, but it means a lot less work for the room to grow up with them.

And congratulations - babies are amazing.

infoxicated
23rd May 2005, 04:18 PM
At the moment the room is a) the computer room, and b) purple with a BubbleGum Girls border running around the top of the walls.

So yeah, I reckon it'll be going somewhat neutral when the time comes to decorate it. :)