PDA

View Full Version : Hooking psp up to a TV

JABBERJAW
11th May 2005, 02:20 PM
Has anyone seen anything new on this subject, or has anyone been able to jury rig one yet?

Mobius
11th May 2005, 03:07 PM
Physically, i dont think it is possible without the develpor or possible software with the ps2/3.

We may find out at E3, who knows?

Sausehuhn
11th May 2005, 05:39 PM
I think it's possible, but... er... I don't know how.
It cannot be the problem to make a video output. Maybe there's no one, but I really don't think so.
If there's one it would really be a reason for buying.

def
11th May 2005, 05:59 PM
its probably not _impossible_ but it would be quite a hack. the only route that seems obvious would be to physically dis-assemble the PSP and tap into the signal being sent to the lcd. then do your research on samsung LCD displays and try to find a path between the psp lcd standard and its closest relative ( probably some other samsung lcd ). quite a hack indeed. other than that there doesent seem to be any reasonable software method at present, even if it was possible what would be used for the output? rgb <--> usb o_O maybe when the ps3 comes out there will be some way, but right now its not lookin' too good.

Chill
11th May 2005, 11:18 PM
Mabye they'll come up with other versions of the PSP, or use their geeky minds to come up something for this one. I really don't know, but it's certainly interesting to see what could happen, and something like that for the PS3 would be great. :wink:

fusionfrenzy
15th May 2005, 10:03 PM
They could always make a PSP player for ps2/3 like the 'cube's for gba. The psp could be fired up and using the infrared port, send the data to the ps2/3 which sends it to the tv, and hey presto.

Failing that, maybe a usb-> ps2/3 connection which basically routes the psp through to the tv via the ps2/3 which enables you to use the psp as a controller as well.

Or perhaps the PS3 could have a wireless modem built in (you never know), so it could be sending out wireless signals, and the psp can communicate with it and upload/download the game data to the ps3 and therefore the tv.

FoxZero
16th May 2005, 06:21 AM
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:m8SQu02tdOwJ:emu.gbxemu.com/previews/gbatv.shtm+gameboy+television+output&hl=en

this is probably the kind of device that you would need for the psp, which gives you an idea of apperance and difficulty in installation. sony is undoubtably using a much fancier lcd than the gba so i doubt this exact device would be compatible. this is just a proof of concept that you can output portable game system lcd signals to conventional televisions since i had never seen it done before.

there could also be a way to output to television through emulation software that doesnt exist yet on a pc, but of course this would taint our beautiful lap times. :wink:

heres another type of the same kind of mod for gba which also doesnt require soldering. sorry, i know its not what youre looking for al but i was impressed regardless.

http://www.success-hk.com/review/gbatransverter/

Sausehuhn
18th September 2005, 10:06 AM
01 (http://www.teamxtender.com/news/uploads/a.jpg)
02 (http://www.teamxtender.com/news/uploads/b.jpg)
03 (http://www.teamxtender.com/news/uploads/c.jpg)
04 (http://www.teamxtender.com/news/uploads/d.jpg)
05 (http://www.teamxtender.com/news/uploads/e.jpg)

article/website (http://www.teamxtender.com/)

eLhabib
18th September 2005, 11:04 AM
there's also a german videogame show on tv (giga games) using a device to display PSP games on the TV screen. it doesn't stretch the image though, just shows the actual pixels.

Sausehuhn
18th September 2005, 11:58 AM
meinst du man könnte da mal anfragen woher man sowas bekommt?
___

do you think it would be possible to ask where to get this thing from?

eLhabib
18th September 2005, 11:59 AM
well you could write an e-mail to simon or michael maybe...

Sausehuhn
18th September 2005, 12:01 PM
why not, it doesn't cost anything, does it? :D

edit
done

Megatron42
20th September 2005, 05:30 PM
I'll be waiting to hear more about this thing.

Sausehuhn
20th September 2005, 05:56 PM
the face plate must be changed: click! (http://www.pspupdates.com/2005/09/teamxtender-update.html#comments)

so... I won't buy it. Don't wanna change something on the PSP by myself when there's the possibility that I could destroy something.

element42
21st September 2005, 04:23 PM
i wouldn't be too happy about opening my psp either, but if i can use my telly and a nice controller.... mmmmm :mrgreen:
now all we need is for some bright spark to figure out how to run a negcon on the psp2tv. Wasn't ridge racer the original negcon title? perhaps someone somewhere's already on it (pleasepleaseplease....)

Lance
21st September 2005, 08:44 PM
i think you're right about Ridge Racer being the first to support NAMCO's neGcon. IIRC, Ridge Racer 4 was the first [and only?] game to support the jogCon

element42
28th September 2005, 07:36 AM
So I emailed the people at teamxtender and asked whether the PSP2TV will have negcon compatibility bult-in for use with Wipeout (and Ridge Racer). The reply: "That is very possible." Cryptic, but it's enough to get me excited! :D

Asayyeah
30th September 2005, 02:14 PM
The reply: "That is very possible." Cryptic, but it's enough to get me excited! :D
Oh yes can't imagine!! using our telly + Neggie playing online with friends will be the absolute enjoyment :D
Hope they aren't say that to be polite , we absolutely need to know if it's possible or not.
:?: :Are they going to e-mail you something later to confirm definitely this ?
Do you think if many of us ask the same question about negcon to this site, maybe they could do something faster ? What's your point of view

here's a link with a retailed price of PSP2TV (http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/psp-2tv.html)

eLhabib
30th September 2005, 02:54 PM
holy sh*t, that's expensive!!!
don't wanna pay that much unless it's PERFECT.

Mobius
30th September 2005, 02:56 PM
$120?!?

I wouldnt pay that, you have to vandalise your psp and make it look stupid and look like someone has buffed it with sandpaper.

I'll stick with it as it is. :?

Asayyeah
30th September 2005, 03:17 PM
I don't care about after-look wanna just knowing if it won't be too much pixelised on the telly.
i am only searching the best suitable equipment to master Pure with all the comfort i can find : playing on a wide screen tv and of course with my Neggie .
120$ is an amount, right but for me it worth

JABBERJAW
5th October 2005, 12:42 PM
Arnaud, Do you have wipeout pure?

lunar
20th October 2005, 12:17 PM
before we start ripping the innards out of our PSPs, take a lookie at the alternative to PSP2TV:

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3706&likref=html11

doesn`t mention controller support, but I`m sure they can`t expect you to use the PSP itself with that lump on the front. Pic quality might be surprisingly OK, who knows? Advantage is this won`t break your PSP unless you`re a complete DIY gorilla, won`t invalidate your warranty and can be removed.

(btw if somebody would like to tell me how to put links in a word of text my posts could look a lot neater in future. Ive tried to do it but.......doh.)

Drakkenmensch
20th October 2005, 12:42 PM
here's the way to do it - simply replace the < and > with the [ and ] brackets:

<url=link>clickable words</url>

unlike regular html link flags, you don't have to put quotation marks around your link. Just hover your mouse over the URL button and emulate the flags you see there - the left one is just a blue link like the one you just posted, and the one on the right is the clickable words version.

Task
20th October 2005, 09:09 PM
<FriendlyNeighbourhoodAdmin>
On the "Post a reply" page (where you type in your post) there's a link: BBCode (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/faq.php?mode=bbcode)
It's in the lower-left corner and it'll link you directly to the forum FAQ for how to use "BBCode", which is what they call tags like Drak has just described.

Follow the link, read the words, you'll learn how to use the URL tag along with much, much more!
</FriendlyNeighbourhoodAdmin>

lunar
20th October 2005, 09:38 PM
Thanks Drak, thanks F.N.A. Now let`s hope I get this right....

I dug around and found this (http://www.pspontv.com/), but I`m not sure it`s the same product mentioned on Lik-Sang. There`s no mention of external controller use at all.

Meanwhile, Team Xtender, who make the PSP2TV are fighting back (http://www.psphome.com/sony-psp/424/pspontv---psp-tv-competition-appears-news.html)

PSP2TV still looks like the best choice, perhaps. Not sure how easy it would be to play your PSP with a big black lump on top of it, and with no external controller as in the rival product. Might depend on how heavy the unit is.

It would be interesting to know how PSP2TV achieves the external controller function. Is this part of the internal surgery, or does it use the usb? I`m not sure if that would be possible.

JABBERJAW
24th October 2005, 06:13 PM
I ordered one of these things from teamextender, so we will see how it works

Sausehuhn
24th October 2005, 06:14 PM
platinum silver... sounds nice...

click me! (http://pspupdates.qj.net/2005/10/psp2tv-update.html#comments)

hope it's good quality and not just cheap crap.

JABBERJAW
25th October 2005, 05:25 PM
They are supposedly getting them in next week, so hopefully I have it soon.

Thruster2097
30th October 2005, 08:47 AM
People, surely the whole point of the PSP is to make playing games portable? :wink:

I would like the idea of having a TV-out on the PSP but I am just not prepared to take the risk of breaking it.
And $120 is a bit steep this close to xmas.
And being 60Hz it would only work on one of my televisions.

:lance
spot on with the controllers, Ridge Racer was the first to use the negcon (and the first psx game in general : SCES-00001) and Ridge Racer Type 4 was the only game to accomodate the jogcon.
Thats enough from me about controllers, back to the psp - 2 - tv stuff.

Sausehuhn
4th November 2005, 01:37 PM
http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3723&lsaid=198235

lunar
4th November 2005, 11:17 PM
You have to love Lik-Sang for being so honest about a product they are offering for sale. But then I suppose, with such a dangerous installation as this product requires, they also have to cover their backsides. Everyone, like me, who`s interested in one of these should check out the installation video. Apart from the Greek-wedding music it shows that to install this you actually have to use a knife-type object to slice parts of your beloved PSP`s innards. The whole process is fraught with worries over whether my PSP would ever be the same again.

I was interested in getting one of these, so having seen this article I now have a dilemma over two possible courses of action:

Option A: Buy a PSP2TV and try to install it myself.
Option B: Place my PSP on the ground beneath the back wheel of my Volvo V70, then drive backwards and forwards over it a few times.

Given that either course of action is going to leave me with nothing more than a few mangled chips, some wires, and some chunks of molded plastic that will never fit together again, and given that Option B will cost around $120 less, and will infact cost no more than the small amount of petrol required to complete the operation, it`s going to have to be that one.

If someone was offering professional, guaranteed installations of these things I might be interested. However, it also looks like it will be difficult to use the PSP as a controller when the TV-Output block is fitted, and, unless a negcon can be made to work on Pure, I think the PSP itself would be a superior controller to a DS2, though that`s only my opinion. I`ve never really been able to do pitch-control with a DS2, though it`s not too difficult with the PSP nub. Also the amount of travel required with a DS2 analogue stick in order to perform a barrel roll could make it quite difficult.

PSPonTV looks totally mickey-mouse, so I`m just hoping PS3 will allow us big screen Pure, somehow.

Anyway, good luck to anyone who takes the plunge and please let us know how you get on. If you succeed I will be jealous, but I just don`t have the guts to get into the guts of my PSP like that.

JABBERJAW
11th November 2005, 12:39 PM
mangled my psp. But I think I can get around the problem with very little cost to me. My suggestion would be to send in your psp if you want this done. It wasn't overly complicated to put in, but some of the instructions are not very clear because of the black and white pictures that show the instructions.

Asayyeah
11th November 2005, 01:02 PM
What do you mean by mangled your psp ?
Did you do something wrong when you open yours installing the PSP2TV connector?
I ve seen a video on a site how they install psp2tv : and that's pretty scary : the step after pulling off your screen .
Honestly i am not sure now to take that risk with my psp ( btw the gamestore lend me recently a 2nd hand psp while i am waiting mine ).

The second option would be the pspONtv with his system of lenses without avoiding your guaranty . But that's crap

The last obvious option for me is to re-start playing 2097...
everyone knows ' the revenge of Siths ' from G.Lucas but i am not sure you know the new blockbuster From WZ studio called ' the revenge of Al Sartwell ' :lol:
Have a look into 2097's tables for synopsis

ps to Al : Awesome job on Gare phantom ... 26.5 8O

eLhabib
11th November 2005, 02:05 PM
here's another take on the PSP2TV, this time by IGN:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/666/666034p1.html

Sausehuhn
11th November 2005, 02:20 PM
Al, that sounds bad.

Maybe you will find the parts you need here (http://www.xboxrepairguide.com/repair-parts-sony-c-22_54.html?osCsid=1be49316a811d0eba256f9dbae5c38aa ).
Compared to other shops I've seen they're really cheap.

good luck pilot 8)

Sausehuhn
19th November 2005, 01:44 PM
Now I saw that movie from pspupdates.com.
And I'm 100% sure that if you didn't make the whole installation a thousand times you WILL destroy something, you WILL make scratches, you WILL have fingertips and you WILL have several other problems.
Not to mention that the blue faceplate really looks ugly and you can't put the PSP into a (hard) case anymore.

If there's no one in your cricle of friends that knows how to work with such technical things, I woulnd't buy such a thing.

I know that sound stupid, but these "a cam films the screen"-things could be better in the end. You can play on your TV and within seconds you can dismantle the wohle installation. And if these "boxes" really have these low weights the producers are talking about they really could be the right decision.

eLhabib
20th November 2005, 12:50 PM
only problem is that the quality of these 'cam films screen' devices is REALLY AWFULLY BAD:turd

JABBERJAW
7th December 2005, 07:15 PM
DIVINEO mailed me another soft circuit board and I put it in again. At first R didn't work, but I opened it up again and fixed that part and now it works fine. The screen on the psp is now red!!, but on the TV it is fine. I know the problem and could easily fix it, but do not want to go into the psp again. There are two connections from the lcd screen onto the main board already in the psp and I broke a holder piece of the connector(not sure what it is called). I can still connect it but have to be extremely careful not to pull it out when I place the lcd screen back in it's place. Anyways, this is probably the only hard part left on installing this for me now in that I was quite careful and still broke that little black piece off. The rest of the connections you just have to make sure are snug(and don't hurry through). If you get one, watch the video, that really helped on how to connect a few places.
Picture Quality: Not bad at all, even on a regular tv screen(It was a little better on my Hi def). I think it's much more fun playing this way and feels more like a regular wipeout game. The Dual shock works very well with it, but I want to try a joystick next(When I get some money).

I recommend getting it, but just be very careful on installation and you should be ok.

note: Don't pull out the button circuit board too hard or you will break the on off switch. The little black piece is about a millimeter thick that allows it to go on and off.

lunar
7th December 2005, 07:25 PM
Well done, Al, very intrepid of you. :) How are barrel rolls and pitch control with the dual shock analogue stick, easier or harder?

JABBERJAW
8th December 2005, 07:09 PM
For me it is easier for both, but a little slower for the barrel rolls because the analog stick has farther to travel. I think most people would like it better. THe view on the TV is far better, and I think that helps the most

Sausehuhn
19th December 2005, 05:49 PM
for all those people who want a PSP and the TV adapter allready connected without installing the whole thing by their own, click here (http://www.modchipworld.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=198)

username
22nd December 2005, 12:37 PM
although i am very confident in electronics, i do not really like the idea of opening up my psp and stuff like that. i thought that there would just be a special cable that you plug into your psp and into the 3 phono leads that can be found on your tv! is there any chance of something lie that coming out?

Mobius
22nd December 2005, 01:12 PM
It might be possible via the usb port to the composites, but i have no idea though. That would rock as a firmware update!

username
22nd December 2005, 01:15 PM
it certianly would, however- i do not think that a usb port can transfer data that quickily!

Sausehuhn
22nd December 2005, 05:50 PM
Sony said on the E³ that the PSP will be conectable with the TV when you use the PS3 as an adapter. All will work with IR or WiFi (don't know what it actually was).
Let's hope that's right :)

Lance
22nd December 2005, 07:06 PM
so we have to buy a 300 dollar PSP and then buy a 400 dollar PS3 just to hook up a PSP to a tv? that's a damned expensive connector.

Sausehuhn
22nd December 2005, 08:14 PM
Yeah I know, but it's a good feature for all these people who wanted to buy a PS3 anyway :)

Sausehuhn
13th May 2007, 05:34 PM
TADA! (http://pspupdates.qj.net/How-to-Control-your-PSP-from-your-keyboard-watch-the-screen-from-your-PC-/pg/49/aid/92284)

Asayyeah
13th May 2007, 07:49 PM
Thx for the link Max
i just finished to see the video : great performance this Emmanuel geek did !

To watch Pure on his pc screen and also controlling the game by the keyboard, should probably mean, this is possible to allow the Negcon adaptater to work with maybe?... Pure on Tv was a good step now we need to play it with Neggie !

q_dmc12
13th May 2007, 10:09 PM
upon reviewing the PSP2TV installation video for the second time - it looks very easy:D - now that I have some experience opening up and working on Laptop PCs.:pc

Lance
13th May 2007, 10:28 PM
Max double-posted. ;)

q_dmc12
13th May 2007, 10:36 PM
LOL!:D

I thought you said at least a day's difference between posts was fine;)

Lance
13th May 2007, 11:51 PM
Note the wink. :D

Sausehuhn
14th May 2007, 12:58 PM
I'll try that PSP-PC-connection later this day maybe. If a gamepad works (sadly I don't have any - though I may could try one of a friend) I'm interested if it's possible to give one of the buttons the barrel-roll button combination, so you just have to press one button for a BR.

_____
EDIT

ok I tried it with my 3.03 OE-C and it works - with framerate problems. Though, as you can see on the video, Pure is also playable with no framrate issues, so maybe it's just because I made something wrong here or because I run it on a custom 3.03 instead of 3.04 as said in the instructions.
Anybody has 3.04 on his PSP?

And btw: Even though the game is very pixelated on a big screen it looks fantastic. Can't wait to play it on fullscreen with no lag.

Asayyeah
14th May 2007, 06:50 PM
After my job's end , i have 2 things to do related to psp : delete dev hook 0.46 and install this new 3.04 oE , then trying to understand the way to play the old WipEouts on psp ( thx for that new member's explanation even i am still lost) and of course follow your steps Max with Psp/Pc connection

borell
14th May 2007, 10:29 PM
Hi Max, Arnaud. Hi all.

First of all, don't you mean 3.40-oe? There is no 3.04... Do you mean 3.30-oe when you write 3.03-oe... or is it in fact 3.03-oe?

Anyway, I tried it myself, too. I'm on 3.03-oe. No problems with getting it to work through the xmb. When I try to activate it for games, I get a connection and the games start... But, all of them crash at some point.

I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading to 3.40-oe to try it out, since there are the problems with the Gamma and Delta packs. Soon enough I would have to downgrade again... too lazy.

I did some (unsharp) filming of the xmb sent to my pc. You can have a look here: psplink test (http://www.sendspace.com/file/tq02qj) (9MB).

q_dmc12
14th May 2007, 11:19 PM
... then trying to understand the way to play the old WipEouts on psp ( thx for that new member's explanation even i am still lost)...

I suggest checking out PSP Hackin 101 (http://www.psphacking101.com/video) - yes they are american, yes they are speaking (fast) english but I have confidence in your bilingual skills perhaps more than you do.

Sausehuhn
15th May 2007, 08:52 AM
You're right borell, I mean 3.40 OE.
You can view the XMB? For me I just get a connection when I start a game.

WipEout Pure has problems when loading the profile. Just load the game with no USB-cable plugged and plug it in when the game has loaded. That will guide you into the game (be aware that the game will crash every time it has to save something to the memory stick so deactivate auto-save).

Do you get framedrops?

borell
15th May 2007, 08:56 AM
Hi Max,

well I first made the xmb appear just to try out the connection (use pspsh to reset and reload the vsh module from flash, and then load the remotejoy module from the memory stick). It seems that one either gets the xmb or the game. I will soon put a link to a video clip of a race (compressing the video file now).

---Update---

I have now uploaded the video clip of a race with Feisar in Phantom class on Vineta K: psplink test 2 (http://www.sendspace.com/file/hvt591) (42MB)

Some remarks are in order:

1) Try to ignore the annoying sound of my optical drive. In order to compile psplink (and the PSP Toolchain, i.e., binary utils, a cross compiler and the PSP SDK) I used a Live CD of Ubuntu (i.e. I was running Linux without the use of a hard drive). Whenever something needs to be loaded into RAM it is read from the optical drive.

2) The stripes/lines in the image comes from filming the LCD display... try to ignore this as well.

3) You hear the sound from the PSP as I play, and this shows that there is not much delay.

4) The refresh rate is quite good.

5) Enjoy my 'fantastic' race... Well, let's pretend that I was not focused on the driving. ;)

q_dmc12
15th May 2007, 01:56 PM
...I used a Live CD of Ubuntu ...;)

There you go, think it would help if I used my Live CD of PHLAK?;) :p

EDIT: plus its not really a full screen, you are still looking at a 480x272 screen only on a 1024x768 one.....just a side note:p

borell
15th May 2007, 02:24 PM
I never claimed full screen view on the pc.

There is an option for full screen in the viewer, but the implementation does not function yet. As of now it only gives a full screen view with the unscaled screen of the psp centred on a black background... (the viewer uses SDL, maybe it's only me having problems with full screen). It is still an early stage of the development, so there is hope...

q_dmc12
15th May 2007, 02:34 PM
I never claimed full screen view on the pc.

I never said you did. ;)

I have been reading around.:D

borell
15th May 2007, 02:43 PM
I never said you did. ;)

lol

infinite progression ;)

A never claimed it.
B never said that A claimed it.
A never said that B said that A claimed it.

Sorry for being OT.

Btw, I never intended to start arguing... sorry.

q_dmc12
15th May 2007, 02:59 PM
OT?

Anyway, I have read that it was able to do fullscreen, however, in all of your videos it was in a window - that's why I commented.;)

Sausehuhn
15th May 2007, 09:06 PM
Did I say that I run it on Windows (XP)?