PDA

View Full Version : General elections

Axel
5th May 2005, 12:37 AM
For those who hasn't realised as of yet, we brits have an election today deciding which twat will run the country. Is it me or are the elections becoming boring evertime or something? Well i'm voting since it will be my first and prob the last since voting means sqat as everybody is the same over this side of the pond :(

Chill
5th May 2005, 02:22 AM
I still can't believe the U.S. has the same President on his second run!!! I thought people would get bored of him!! 8O I did the first day of his first run. :lol: And with him making all his crappy mistakes, and lowering of attention on important issues, he get's me freakn' pissed, and as he pauses when talking about something like he forgot everything for a minute, aaarrrggghhh!!! Well, good luck on your vote. :P

infoxicated
5th May 2005, 09:00 AM
I wont be voting this time around, not that I usually do, as we've just moved house and we aren't registered to vote in the new area.

I did look to see who was the MP for our new area on www.theyworkforyou.com, and it turns out that the Labour guy has a 70% majority in the area. Pretty much means that a vote for anyone else is just like throwing it away.

In a way this country has always been a bit like that - there's fear of change and any disruption it might cause, although I don't exactly remember any big shakes when Labour took over from the Conservatives.

Tony Blair has lied his ass off for the whole term he's been in office, broken pretty much every promise he's ever made in his election manifesto's and, for the life of me, I cant see why he deserves another chance. He'll get it, though... all of the sheep in this country will spend today ticking the box that keeps him in there.

Dimension
5th May 2005, 10:50 AM
I myself prefer not to get involved, there are enough political know-it-alls to vote and keep the polytishuns happy already, i'll just let them get on with it :roll: Not worth the effort IMO

Hellfire_WZ
5th May 2005, 11:05 AM
I'm in the same predicament with the Labour MP here already holding the majority (and she's a know-nothing idiot I might add). After the complete bullshit Blair has spouted over the years he has been in charge I would have to be quite heavily intoxicated to even consider voting for him. Trouble is, look at your alternative. Is Howard really any better, and are the Tories really going to change things from their previous efforts? Perhaps we should give the Liberals a chance.

Space Cowboy
5th May 2005, 12:00 PM
As a scientist I refuse to lower myself to the level of engaging in politics.
Essentially the citizens of the UK are voting for who is the best liar.
I just hope that whoever wins, they scrap tuition fees.

infoxicated
5th May 2005, 01:04 PM
Agreed - I made it through my HND and the one year of my degree without paying tuition fees, but I enrolled the last year you got a clean shot at the whole course without having to pay. If those fees had been brought in I'd still be an electrician right now - there's no way I could have gone back to college, kept myself alive and paid the fees, and I imagine that's the situation for young working class people now who want a shot at further education.

It might mean higher taxes, but I enjoyed the chance and I don't think it should be closed to others.

myima-tsarong
5th May 2005, 03:42 PM
Sorry but I'm not voting I personally don't think that any of those professional liars are capable of running the country efficiantly, so I will not vote for any of them !

Mobius
5th May 2005, 03:55 PM
I cant vote yet - but in our school we have had to run mock elections and i was made the candidate for the blue party (which was the lib dems in this case, not the conservatives - the idea was people couldn't guess which party each team represents.) Listening to the manifastos albeit extremely concise versions, it seemed like a load of poo. I liked what was being promised but it seemed impossible by reality.

I hope I win though, so i can go up to Charles Kennedy and go "HA THERES YOU!!!" :P
And get a big bar of choccy.

-----Moving back toward original topic-------

MP's are too out of touch with the younger generation (as in below 18 ) I once said that a student political conferece thingy, without realising the shadow child minister was on the table.

I think they should have a box called "none of the above" and if a cirtain percantage mark it, an emergency coalition of all the parties form to make a goverment.

Seek100
5th May 2005, 03:55 PM
The problem with that belief is of course that the same liars will continue to run the country and only make things worse for you. There's never gonna be an armed revolution folks, you have to vote if only to kick out whoever's in there now, just to show people like Blair that they can't get away with it forever, eventually they'll be kicked out, happened to the Conservative's in '97, only problem is people forgot you have to keep on kicking out the ruling party, and we've now suffered 2 terms of Blair, and will suffer a third because nearly half of our country won't get out there (or even register for a postal vote like me and the other couch potatoes did) and vote to get rid of him.

What we need is proportional representation to ensure minority or coalition governments. First past the post is so un-democratic it's not funny.

Edit: for Mobius' post below, if we had a 'none of the above' box, it'd get about 80% of the vote. You can actually write that on the ballot paper but they treat it as a 'spoiled ballot' and it's not counted.

piranha wiper
5th May 2005, 04:51 PM
if i could be bothered to vote it would be for labour, had good advice from my lecturer, conservatives are supposidly goin to kill of the construction trade and i aint havin that, if there any construction people here you wil understand what im talking about. any poor people here get labour poorer get richer (apperently) er yeah so thats me over :?

Hellfire_WZ
5th May 2005, 05:06 PM
What we need is proportional representation to ensure minority or coalition governments. First past the post is so un-democratic it's not funny.

Couldn't agree more. Every time we've had a local election in Tower Hamlets, we always end up with the same person in, and every time we (personally) haven't voted for her. It would work so much better if local affairs had some sort of input from the MP you HAVE actually voted for. Same goes for parliament as well.

Mobius
5th May 2005, 05:57 PM
Play this

http://www.miniclip.com/kungfustatesman.htm

Enough said.

Space Cowboy
5th May 2005, 07:41 PM
rofl
Indeed.

With Politicans at the helm, there is no future.

Mobius
5th May 2005, 08:14 PM
Another crack at the politicians I have found on the Timesplitters: Future perfect game.

On level 7 i think - on one of the computers

With no test subjects willing to be injected with the prototype serum; our resident scientist Dr Lenny Oldburg decide to take it on himself. Unfortunately, the once-genius now has an IQ of a turnip, or prehaps a politcian.

I only saw that today!!! :P

Space Cowboy
5th May 2005, 09:52 PM
Oh well, the polls have closed and it seems that it is the dawn of a dark day for the UK. Our Labour gov seems to have held on to power. This is really sad, it means more war and lies, cutbacks to science and industry not to mention financial hardship for all the students in this country. They wont be happy till they've ground this country into dust.

AmishRobot
6th May 2005, 02:56 AM
Tony Blair has lied his ass off for the whole term he's been in office, broken pretty much every promise he's ever made in his election manifesto's and, for the life of me, I cant see why he deserves another chance. He'll get it, though... all of the sheep in this country will spend today ticking the box that keeps him in there.

I bet america's looking pretty good right about now!

Oh, wait....

Lance
6th May 2005, 04:33 AM
LOL

oh... wait... :cry:

zargz
6th May 2005, 10:46 AM
about 40% of voters didnt vote so Labour is gonna rule the country with the support of ~ 20% of voters!
also it seems uk has chosen the lesser evil ..
I vote Every time!
so next time instead of whining - go vote! 8)

Rapier Racer
6th May 2005, 10:56 AM
Humph I missed out on the voting by about a month, ah well it would probably have been a wasted vote anyway for the stupidest party on the list, or are they already in power

Hellfire_WZ
6th May 2005, 11:13 AM
Dunno, maybe the Monster Raving Looney's could do a better job, their manifesto was the comedy script of the year. Looks like George Galloway's our new MP though.

Space Cowboy
6th May 2005, 12:13 PM
As soon as I've finished my degree I'll be emmigrating to either Canda or New Zealand. There is no future for scientists in the UK and certainly not under a Labour government.
Only two more years to go 8)

AmishRobot
6th May 2005, 12:37 PM
As someone who exists far outside the political mainstream (especially here in Texas), my vote always feels wasted. But it's my strong belief there are only two ways to waste a vote:
1. Not voting at all.
2. Voting against someone instead of for someone.

/Voting tomorrow in local elections

Chill
6th May 2005, 03:57 PM
Good for you. It would be alright to vote against someone if you think they'd do such a terrible job, the government would be better off without 'em. Hmmm, like bombing an entire place just to find one person, and killing hundreds on innocent, and then stating a war with them, in within your cockiness of power and hiding of your thought to be weak side. calphbcalphucalphscalphhcalph

Mobius
6th May 2005, 04:21 PM
Hmmm, sorry if i am really slow on the uptake but that sound like the Iraq war there.

Lance
6th May 2005, 04:36 PM
more like Afghanistan, because that's where bin Ladin was hiding. however, Iraq did come in for a share of Bush's ''why stop there?' syndrome