PDA

View Full Version : Good things come to those who...

Dimension
15th April 2005, 01:46 PM
Fly Icaras it would seem.

So I sat down, to listen to Way Out West's recent Ministry of sound session, put the playstation on and decided to have a go round Terminal, well **** me well and truly sideways if I didn't go and set both race and lap world records!

W3O PAL, TT, Phantom, Terminal, Icaras

Lap: 0:25:12
Race: 2:11:40

Come on Arnaud, pick up your rather daft wonkable controller and let's make a race of it! :P

EDIT: Since I'm a nice guy, there's a ghost in my file manager (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=782) of the race in question, that doesn't include the lap record, that was set earlier :wink:

Prometheus
15th April 2005, 02:02 PM
Dimension, I would love to see this... always found icarus unstable at high speeds... I'm ok for first few laps but when i least expect it, bam, slam a wall, get overtaken.. but what are these .gme files? how do you get them to and from a playstation memory card? some sort of dexdrive?

myima-tsarong
15th April 2005, 02:08 PM
Wow getting all golds in the icaras at phantom class was so hard, that thing is all over the place, that is a very impressive time congratulations !!!

Dimension
15th April 2005, 02:12 PM
Cheers guys :) Prometheus, you do need a Dexdrive yeah, your card plugs into the front of it, transfer the save in that file across to your card and plug it into your playstation. They're not too pricey, about a fiver, providing you don't do what I did anyway. Mine cost me £25 because or international bank transfers and postage :roll:

lunar
15th April 2005, 02:43 PM
pick up your rather daft wonkable controller

:lol:

really nice flying. well done. I would grab that ghost - but it will probably just scare the poo out of me so I might not bother.

Prometheus:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=15&products_id=3115&

is a really solid place to get a dexdrive, with UK power supply and all the necessary drivers on floppy disk. An idiot could install it. One did. :wink:

def
15th April 2005, 05:16 PM
nice Dimension!

btw:
the psp can also be used in the place of a dex drive using a PS2's USB port.

Prometheus
15th April 2005, 05:57 PM
woah, cool, i thought dex drive was only for N64... and initially i thought it was something that plugged into the unit itself. I reckon Sony caught onto the dex drive idea and decided it was something the PSP should be able to do. I don't blame them. It's a novel way of promting competition of a particular game across the globe. Just save your best times and share them. Might consider getting one... I just gotta see how you got that time in the "AG bucket of sand" that is Icarus :)

Does the drive copy the entire mem card or can you just save bits like ghost times and so on. I mean if you got a really good time but also all gold medals... then you sent your dex file over... don't you effectivly hand over your medals?

Does it work across different regioned games?

If PSP lets you upload your race times, does that mean at some point in wipeoutzones future, we might see PSP files alongside a members claimed time.. now that would be interesting. could even record the ghost on video and do commentary...

sorry to wonder off the topic, just curious... congrats Dimension!

Dimension
15th April 2005, 06:11 PM
The Dexdrive doesn't work acros regions, you can backup your files by just leaving them on your HD so even if you do save over them, you've got them backed up (also good for when you mem card is wiped heh. ) You can, with at least some of the programs available, rip single saves from your memory card. Good luck with that, oh and while i'm at it i'll plug Zargz's stick2trax thing, if you dig venom class, worth checking out (when you get a dexdrive, lots of daftly fast girly league ghosts :D)

def
15th April 2005, 07:21 PM
Prometheus: the psp does let you upload ghost laps / racetimes for wop (as discussed in this thread (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2059)) i just tried out the memory card --> psp --> pc transfer and it works smoothly. It can copy individual memory card items of batches to the psp memory stick which can then be copied to a pc, great for backing up savegames and stuff. One problem is im not sure if it works with ps1 memory cards, i dont have mine on hand to test it. sure is a neat little feature though, first time i ever used the ps2 usb ports.

lunar
15th April 2005, 10:50 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38615&item=8184780686&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

daft wonkable controller available in Leeds. Vendor known to this poster as trustworthy A1 ebayer. Item awaits loving owner. :D

rejj
16th April 2005, 04:07 AM
Damn, I never even thought of using the PSP to back up psx/ps2 mem cards... what a great idea.
I might have to try that today.. I really hope it works for the psx cards - I don't have a dexdrive.

Dimension
16th April 2005, 10:07 AM
alright, I bought that rather daft wonkable controller, many thanks lunar, you lovely lovely thing you :wink:

*edit* oh and who think I might be able to hold the record it for an entire day? this forum's displaying time an hour slow, but there's only 3 hours-ish :D

lunar
16th April 2005, 10:12 AM
:clap

rejj, I think it might corrupt ps1 ghosts to go from ps2 to psp to pc and back. Only one way to find out though.

rejj
16th April 2005, 12:24 PM
Hmmmm.
I haven't tried it yet, but I have some memory card management software for use with psx emulators.. so one potential way around any problems may be to rip the stuff off the card to the PSP, copy from PSP to PC, then load the memcard blocks into the emulator, save a memory card, export card with app that can make dexdrive compatible files, and upload.

Sounds long winded, but if it works that'd be cool. :)

... and about the wonkable controllers - I've always wanted to know: What function do you use the twist for? Pitch control? Steering with the twist would seem too weird for me, I think.

lunar
16th April 2005, 12:44 PM
the twist, or "wonk" :wink: , is for steering. It sounds weird and difficult until you try it, but in practice its very intuitive and you don`t need to think about it.

that ghost upload method sounds workable, and the right direction to go in.

zargz
16th April 2005, 01:28 PM
Impressed Again Dimension! :clap
cool to see how you been getting better and better! 8)
partially coz of the challenges???! ;)

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

Dimension
16th April 2005, 02:30 PM
I suppose, maybe as I say it's since I used an Icaras for the first time away from PK since I first started on with the game :)

rejj
16th April 2005, 05:26 PM
i just tried out the memory card --> psp --> pc transfer and it works smoothly.
Could you please describe exactly what steps you went through to get this to work? I just tried, and I can't find any way to copy the blocks off the card across USB.

def
17th April 2005, 04:01 AM
the one extra thing you need is a boot disk that recognizes the psp, there are probably a few free ones you could dl and burn but mine came with my usb cable. drop me a pm if you need more info. ( dont want to stray tooooooooo far off topic ^_^ )

Dimension
21st April 2005, 12:58 PM
I got my rather daft wonkable controller today, seems to work fine, but my skills with it are rather atrocious at this time heh, it's a bit of the difficult to fire weapons :| But yeah, it's official, I'm a wonker... just need some time to become a half decent wonker is all. ;)

lunar
21st April 2005, 03:26 PM
yeah the old wonder-wonkable is rubbish for races on WO3. There aren`t enough buttons. Its fine in Time Trial though.... wonkers prefer it by themselves after all. :wink:

Dimension
21st April 2005, 04:51 PM
Yep, that's true. Still struggling to find the most preferable settings for the thing, i've tried it all from 0 deadzone to 15, from 10 max lock to 80, the latter seems to be working best at the moment, and i find that using the II button for acceleration and I for hyperthrust is much more comfortable on the thumb joint :) Anyway, my eyes have all gone to blech so i'll have to resume at a later time :( I've always prefered it on my own, even before I was a wonker anyway *Sings Ulrich Schnauss' "On My Own"... badly*

lunar
21st April 2005, 05:34 PM
I use B for accelerate and A for hyperthrust (fire in 2097). Then you have a very precise on/off for these commands and you don`t have to bother with those squeaky old analogue buttons at all, except for firing weapons in races. But there are as many configurations as neg-owners. I think Al has a very tricky setup where his airbrakes are I and II, or something along those lines. You can`t say it doesn`t work. :D There`s an old topic about it...... somewhere

Lance
21st April 2005, 07:15 PM
i couldn't handle Al's configuration at all; i do the same as lunar, and stick with B and A for thrust and activate power-up [or hyperthrust in WO3] with II and I for weapons control. as that implies, i use the neG for both TT and SR

Dimension
21st April 2005, 07:25 PM
Ah, never thought of using the A and B buttons, i'll give that a try, thanks fellas :)

stin
21st April 2005, 07:31 PM
As long you don`t overtake my scores then I`m happy!

stevie :twisted:

Dimension
21st April 2005, 07:57 PM
"As long as" not too long i'll bet stin, I was getting better with it when I packed it in earlier, scored a couple of PLs so it's only time my friend i'm sure, oh and while i'm at it, let me reiterate that the Auricom chalenge will be mine! :twisted:

zargz
21st April 2005, 10:02 PM
'Auricom chalenge will be mine!' .. hmm .. sounds familiar!
Oh! was exactly what I told stin on the msn!!!! :P

Dimension
21st April 2005, 11:49 PM
K so now that i've had a neGcon for a day, I can safely say I don't dig it all that much. The closest i've come to one of my DS times is 7 seconds off at mega mall venom(!) and now my right hand's fingers ache something chronic, having had them scrunched up around the most uncomfortable bit of plastic i've held in some time. I couldn't find a steering setup that worked in more than one class, it kinda felt like i was a complete newbie and my times reflected it, straight up hated it. But still i'll give it another go when my hand stops hurting in a few days. :(

Oh and Zargz, this changes things, might not be participating after all, there are more important things to spend my wipEing time on than a venom tournament (like learning how to do phantom all over again :evil:)

lunar
22nd April 2005, 12:45 AM
I didn`t really learn to use it for about a month, and flying hundreds of laps of Talons Reach Rapier/Phantom on 2097, with max lock set very low - about 5 or 6. WO3 does need a higher number, but no more than 40. 8) Hope it works out when your hand gets better. I was going to make a joke about wonkers cramp and so on but its probably best not. :roll:

I think anyone will reduce their times with a negcon, eventually, especially on fast classes where you need to turn and change pitch at absolutely the same time.

Dimension
22nd April 2005, 02:04 AM
I was going to make a joke about wonkers cramp

Yeah, I think we've done the "i'm a wonker" bit to death now :) I didn't expect to learn to use it instantly, but I'm still kinda gutted that I sucked at it so much :roll:

zargz
22nd April 2005, 09:25 AM
I think anyone will reduce their times with a negcon, eventually .. key word being eventually :?

lunar
23rd April 2005, 01:03 PM
and probably even more eventual for talented d-padders like you and Dimension.

zargz
23rd April 2005, 04:23 PM
thank you kindly lunar but the ghost you left before you were of for your holydays > we didn't beat that yet! ;)

Oh and Zargz, this changes things, might not be participating after all, there are more important things to spend my wipEing time .. WalkOver?! 8O
well, well .. anyway that MM time is driving me nuts :evil: have to do something about it soon!

here's something not amuzing for me to look at >>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Arnaud Senand France Icaras 1:47:68
2 Al Sartwell USA Icaras 1:50:88
3 Alistair Douglas United Kingdom Goteki 45 1:59:36
4 pavel Ramirez Sweden Icaras 2:00:04
5 Jeroen Meuleman Belgium Icaras 2:00:16
6 Thom Coakes United Kingdom Icaras 2:00:96
----------------------------------------------------------------------
atm I'm 2:00.12 with Auricom!
as stin says > I will prevail!!! {{:x}}
Ha! just occurred to me - I'll post that time instead - I still be 4th! muaha! :twisted:

*Edit: btw I just dl your icaras time for 'future analysis' :roll:
and I like the (WR) you included in the fileName! 8)

Dimension
23rd April 2005, 06:51 PM
Yeah I know, good no? :wink:

stin
23rd April 2005, 08:54 PM
LOL!!

stevie :lol:

Lance
23rd April 2005, 09:44 PM
i think you guys are getting this topic confused with the one about ghostsave competition

Dimension
24th April 2005, 03:21 AM
Yup, it has got kind of off topic, hardly news though as it's been that way for over a week :wink: