PDA

View Full Version : totally unrelated to Wipeout

Lance
15th April 2005, 12:56 AM
tonight is the night. ninety-three years ago, the Titanic hit that iceberg and sank.

eLhabib
15th April 2005, 01:17 AM
:roll:

Lance
15th April 2005, 01:53 AM
:D hey, i said it was totally unrelated. :)

Seek100
15th April 2005, 02:28 AM
Double posting lance!? 8O My lord what has become of the world!

You know there are some really crazy theories that it was really the Olympic that sank and they swapped the ships round to make a profit on the insurance.

Lance
15th April 2005, 02:47 AM
the mouse double-clicked. or i double-clicked the mouse. depends on how one's ego chooses to look at it.

crazy theory. the two ships were sufficiently distinct from each other that the rebuilding required to pass one ship as the other would have attracted attention. it is hard to disregard an 880+ foot long ship next to a city. especially with all that loud rivetting going on. and besides, i don't think the insurance would have worked in such a way as to make any difference in the cost of a loss. the insurance losses would have been sustained by Lloyd's of London whichever ship was lost. no profit would have been made since it would not be White Star Line paying out the money. please explain how misidentification of the ships could result in a profit to White Star.

apart from making the Titanic look like the Olympic being difficult to pull off in secret, the other method of physically swapping ships by raising the Olympic and putting the Titanic in its place [we know from the actual ship on the bottom that it iS the Titanic] might.. um... be difficult.

silly all around. including my response. :)

Seek100
15th April 2005, 02:57 AM
Hey I never said I believed it, I saw a documentary on it, the basic idea being that they'd make a profit in the difference between what the Olympic was insured for and what the Titanic was insured for, the reason the whole thing became such a conspiracy theory was all the postcards of the Titanic were actually made from photos taken after it had sunk, the only thing they could photograph was the Olympic and so someone thought that the details on the wreck didn't match the details in the photos of the 'Titanic' and so the ship that sunk was actually the Olympic, it's all a very simple mistake but people have dedicated decades of research to it.

Of course now the Olympic doesn't exist for identification anymore as it was partially demolished in the 30s and finally scrapped completely a few years later.

Chill
15th April 2005, 03:07 AM
Hmmm...[thinking around Lance's mind, wondering why he'd bring this up], well, I guess we have 7 more years to wait tell it's 100th aniversery? :| Isn't that interesting!!! 8O

Damon
15th April 2005, 03:43 PM
. the other method of physically swapping ships by raising the Olympic and putting the Titanic in its place [we know from the actual ship on the bottom that it iS the Titanic] might.. um... be difficult.

Indeed. When impressario and movie mogul Lord Lew Grade splurged millions of dollars on the disastrous film 'Raise The Titanic', he quite famously quipped, "It would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic."

Mobius
15th April 2005, 05:11 PM
Going a bit off that it is also the 16th anniversary of the Hillsborough stadium diaster too.

Prometheus
15th April 2005, 06:08 PM
woah, I remember "raise the titanic". watched on TV as a kid... thought it was great, till they found the boat in real life, and it stated it was broken in two.

Now when I think about that seen with the raised titanic and the little yellow balloons (c'mon, they were glorified balloons) along its hull, i picture this:

camera view of the titanic being raised, and in the foreground that military general dude in charge of the operation on deck facing the raising titanic scene....then only one half of the ship surfaces...."D'oh!"

LOL :)

Dimension
15th April 2005, 07:00 PM
heheh, yes that would be very humourous indeed Prometheus :D

Seek100
15th April 2005, 07:49 PM
And of course the wreck is now so fragile any attempt to raise it would just collapse the entire thing, and eventually it will rust away to nothing and collapse on its own. So bye-bye Titanic in a couple of decades time.

Lance
15th April 2005, 10:32 PM
Seek100 wrote:''...the postcards of the Titanic were actually made from photos taken after it had sunk, the only thing they could photograph was the Olympic and so someone thought that the details on the wreck didn't match the details in the photos of the 'Titanic''''

actually there are quite a lot of photographs of both the Olympic and the Titanic during all phases of construction and their sea trials. [and of the Brittanic as well, the third ship in the Olympic class] i have several such photos in my digital collection. there are also several well-detailed photographs available from the start of the Titanic's voyage at Southampton and more from Queenstown. also some taken on board the Titanic between Southampton, Cherbourg , and Queenstown. the two ships are unmistakably distinct from one another. perhaps the people who proposed the ridiculous theory were just seeking attention for

----

Damon, LOL. that Lord Grade was a first class comedian. [i never much cared for his son, the next Lord Grade, though.].