PDA

View Full Version : Music

Asche XL
22nd March 2002, 12:23 AM
What music is everyone into? genres and atrists? for me im big into electronic. Aphex Twin, FSOL, orbital, autechre, Boards of canada, squarepusher, Sasha, Digweed etc.....

Hybrid Divide
22nd March 2002, 01:46 AM
I'm also into electronica. :smile: But I'm also into my music;)

http://www.vagrantlogic.cjb.net

Vagrant Logic OUT

Hydra XL
22nd March 2002, 02:57 AM
i'm really into this new genre called dion-core. it's mostly celine dion. actually it's all celine dion. she'z gotz a buncha new underground hardcore jointz. check it out if ur fly enuff.

ps. you sound like a seventeen yr old. and whoever recommended those electronic artists must b the dopest mutha on this side of bay sho' fo sho'.

AmishRobot
22nd March 2002, 03:21 AM
I've heard some of that Dion-core and it's alright, but I like stuff that's more "shrill-core". It's a lot like Norwegian black metal, only it's a bit funkier, and usually about butterflies and sunshine... and it's got Mariah Carey singing. That stuff's dope. On the hype tip. Check it:
I like kittens! (http://www.mariahcarey.com/)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AmishRobot on 2002-03-22 04:23 ]</font>

Piranha Advancements
22nd March 2002, 01:01 PM
Ska - The Aquabats,Catch 22,Kemuri,Save Ferris,The Specials and Mustard Plug

Punk - The Vandals,Bad Religion,Millencollin and Unwritten Law

Metal - Slipknot and System of a Down(woOt!!)

Black Metal - Anorexia Nervosa and Cradle of Filth

Electronica - Svenson & Gielen,Kosheen,Cream and Ascension

J-Pop - Utada Hikaru and Hitomi

Alternatives / Indie / Pop / Rock - Smashing Pumpkins,Muse and Unified Theory,Dido and Destiny's Child,Red Elvises,

VG - Silent Hill OST,Castlevania OST,FF(Most of Nobuo Uematsu's stuffs are good..forget about FF8 and 9 though..)

That's the gist!

BurnHead
22nd March 2002, 01:40 PM
Rammstein and all sorts of Metal...
@Asche XL: Are you a german guy?

Stalker
22nd March 2002, 01:47 PM
In no order at all: Apoptygma Berzerk, Aphex Twin, Ravelab, Rammstein, VNV Nation, Front 242, Frontline Assembly, C-tec, Suicide Commando, Birmingham 6, DAF, Noise Unit, Run Level Zero, Wolfsheim, Astral Projection and more... And of course my friends project 8kHz Mono. I´m a proud member of the stage crew. =) (www.8khz-mono.com)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stalker on 2002-03-22 14:52 ]</font>

Bob Todd
22nd March 2002, 02:27 PM
Favourite genres (in descending order):
Bigbeat
Hard House
Death Metal
Electronica
Reggae
Punk Rock
Trance
Classical
Breakbeat/Old-Skool Hip-Hop

Artists (in no order):
Chemical Brothers
Prodigy
FSOL
Leftfield
Orbital
Fluke
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Crowded House
David Bowie
Jean Michel Jarre
Rob Zombie
Phil Collins
Garbage

BurnHead
22nd March 2002, 02:30 PM
So you almost like everything, Anna? :grin:

jmoid
22nd March 2002, 05:12 PM
i like nu skool breaks (http://www.breaksworld.com/News/index.htm) like breakneck (http://www.breakneck.org.uk) and adam freeland (http://www.marineparade.co.uk) and plup DJs, and i like some indiestuff too like elliott smith (http://www.sweetadeline.net) who's kind of like nick drake (who i'm also really into) and damien jurado, and i like the stooges, some hip-hop, the beatles... lotsa stuff.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jmoid on 2002-03-22 18:14 ]</font>

Confusion
22nd March 2002, 06:25 PM
I like a lot of Electronica... namely trance, techno and drum and bass.

Artists I like:
Aquasky
Technical Itch
Chemical Brothers
Plaid 'Double Figure' (just gotten into them)
Fatboy Slim (well his old stuff)
Leftfield
The Prodigy
Sasha
Underworld
Paul van Dyke (on occasions)
CJ Bolland
Omni Trio
A lot of Artists on the Moving Shadow label
The Strokes (yeah I know they aren't electronica)
Dom and Roland
Orbital

Small list there... :smile:

AmigoJack
25th March 2002, 07:36 AM
Breakbeat Era / Chemical Brothers / Cold Storage / Der Dritte Raum / Fluke / Juno Reactor / Ken Ishii / Kraftwerk / Makai / Orbital / Photek / Phoneheads / Prodigy / Raver's Nature / Shamen / Source Direct / Takkyu Ishino / Talvin Singh / Toru Sugawara / Westbam

quite a lot electronica, but the artists named aobve should mirror my taste at best :wink:

PLASMA2097
29th March 2002, 02:48 AM
yo HI!
Im back!
cool to see that here is a new boardsoftware! ;)

im into techno / hardtrance / progressive / breakbeat / drum n bass / trip hop / hmm quite all kinds of "techno"

and...

Hip Hop / Rap / RnB

and, if you would like you can take a look @ my own sound:

http://plasma2097.myownmusic.de

(sorry 4 you guys that it is in german!) :(

check out: http://www.plasma2097.6x.to ;)

FishDK
29th March 2002, 04:02 PM
I'm not into electronica and techno, trance, rave, jungle whatever, but I do like the stuff on all the WO soundtracks.

My MP3 library mostly consists of:

Anime music
Metallica
Some alternative rock
Soundtracks
Some popsongs that I just happen to like
FolkRock ( old norse music mixed with modern rock rythms, really cool. See the German band "Subway To Sally"

<>< F I S H ><>

Zebula77
11th April 2002, 12:36 PM
I like lots of stuff:
Muse
Prodigy
Tori Amos
Dalbello
Van Halen
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Bjork
Kate Bush
Jeff Buckley
Radiohead
Rammstein
Ozric Tentacles
Spock's Beard
Dream Theater
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Rush
Gentle Giant
Genesis
Dave Matthews Band

+loads more :D

zaarock
11th April 2002, 05:36 PM
techno is all i like 8) !

Hellfire_WZ
11th April 2002, 07:33 PM
Hard rock and metal, nothing else! I'm talking Metallica, Iron Maiden, Nirvana, Motorhead, Slipknot, Offspring, you get the idea! :)

Vasudeva
12th April 2002, 07:29 AM
I can enjoy traditionally light-hearted artists such as Paul Van Dyk, Delirium, Systematic Parts, Sasha or Push (all of them trance or lighter techno of some sort), but what really sends the chills down my spine are the geometrically abstract tracks of Photek, and to a lesser degree Aphex Twin also. FSOL is grand, especially on their ISDN album. I'm surprised that no one here mentioned Plastikman! He's the master of minimal illbient and techno (and I'm not talking about 'Spatik' which I think stinks).

I like the Prodigy too, but I think their "Fat of the Land" is hugely overestimated. "Music for the Jilted Generation" is much more aggressive. I absolutely loathe commercial euro-house. I did like older euro-house (I'm talking mid-90s here!).

On the side of rock, I'm quite fond of Rammstein, Marilyn Manson and Monster Magnet. As you can see, I love irony :-). I'm not a huge nu-metal fan although - and I just know that I'm going to be commented for this - Limp Bizkit have made some good stuff. Of course, Fred Durst's ego is still greater than the music he makes. Oh, and I can't understand why everyone loves Slipknot so much. Not to sound offensive, but they sound like a bunch of brutal hicks to me. Not my style.

Vasudeva

Stalker
12th April 2002, 08:49 AM
Sorry Vasudeva... I forgot to mention Plastikman. His "Musik" is one of the best albums i own...
And Delerium = Bill Leeb/Rhys Fulber = Front Line Assembly = Noise Unit. =)

Vasudeva
14th April 2002, 01:17 PM
Oh yes, "Musik"! I especially love "Ethnik" or "Marbles" and "Lasttrack". I also think his cd "Artifaks BC" is very hypntic. Do you have that one?

And, it's a long time ago since I heard from electronic body music :-). Was that the correct name? Front 242 is from around these parts, but I only know "Headhunter".

VQ

Xono
15th April 2002, 02:27 AM
Music . . . is fantastic. Some of my favorite artists are Autechre, DEVO, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and Sigur Ros . . . I listen to a lot more, though.

Stalker
15th April 2002, 06:33 AM
True... Artifakts BC isn´t all that bad. =)

Front 242 are my Gods. "Headhunter" is clearly overrated, but it´s still a good song. My favorite is "Circling Overland".

EBM is what keeps me going: ;-)

Vasudeva
15th April 2002, 04:21 PM
A little off-topic here (and I don't know if it falls within the borders of the "wipiquette")...

Stalker, do you happen to be the mysterious Mr. Ramirez in the time tables at the Zone? If so, you definitely have my respect and admiration!

V

Lance
15th April 2002, 04:57 PM
pavel ramirez is known as 'zargz' in the forums

as to wipequette [ :D ], we're pretty loose about off-topic here, just as long as something reasonably substantial is being said. i have been known to :cof: :COF: to um... stray a wee bit off-topic myself on a few [COUGH] occasions

Stalker
15th April 2002, 05:04 PM
I may be many things, but I´m no Ramirez.
Can´t I have your respect and admiration anyway? :lol:

Vasudeva
15th April 2002, 07:35 PM
That would be no problem.

I am a happy man today :-D.

That's for my most unsubstantial posting thusfar! :lol:

Lance
15th April 2002, 09:05 PM
:D

Synthetic Consciousness
9th May 2002, 11:11 AM
I tend to listen to a lot of different stuff. Probably thanks to WipEout, I've been getting into a lot more Electronica, recently, and so far, I think I prefer the trance sub genre.

A few genres and groups I listen to: I listen to Celtic and New Age (Enya, Clannad, Anúna, Ed Van Fleet, Kitaro, Michael Riversong); Jazz (Béla Fleck & The Flecktones, Keiko Matsui); Blues (Blinddog Smokin', George Thoroughgood, Kenny Wayne Shepherd); J-Pop (Hikaru Utada, Two-Mix, Takehito Koyasu); old school Metal (Iron Maiden, old [pre-Load] Metallica); Thrash Metal (Slayer, Fear Factory); Death Metal (Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir); Prog Metal (Tool, Dream Theatre, Trans-Siberian Orchestra); Industrial (nine inch nails, Sister Machine Gun); Gothic (Bauhaus, Sunshine Blind, Bella Morte); Grunge (Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots); Drum & Bass (Fatboy Slim, Aphrodite); Electronica (Chemical Brothers, DJ Sasha, Aphex Twin, Crystal Method); Game music (Nobuo Uematsu, Shin Sekai Gakkyoku Zatsugidan [SNK], all of the WipEout soundtracks); Anime music (Weiß Kreuz, Yoko Kanno, Seat Belts)...

And, umm...umm...ummm... :o *brain overloads and shorts out* :o ...That's what I get for buying used Xios cerebral implants through eBay... :P

Armoredgear7
24th May 2002, 01:56 AM
Lots of great stuff out there in terms of electronica, ive got a bit of everything - most of it bought legit :wink: The funny thing is that i bought most of these albums because of the music on WO3

Paul van Dyk
Bt
DJ Sasha
Groove Armada
St Germain
Orbital
Fluke
Underworld
Boom Boom Satellites
Prodigy
Chemical Brothers
Crystal Method
Moby
Daft Punk
FSOL
Propellerheads

Other genres are nice too, but nothing rocks quite like electronic...
I think that sums it up nicely. :D

infoxicated
24th May 2002, 09:01 AM
Heh - same here with PvD and the Chemicals' - bought the albums after being brainwashed by Wipeout :)

Welcome to the board, BTW.

zargz
24th May 2002, 02:37 PM
I like Beatles, Los Enanitos Verdes(the little green dwarfs!!) rock/pop from argentina
Eagles, CCR, latin - salsa, all the tunes from wo1 wo2097 wo3 !
I play, besides wo, guitar & harmonica therof all the 'guitar music'.

vasudeva: jaroen, I presume! thanx and same 2u! :D
always great with some new contenders! ( contender Eliminated!!! ) :wink:

Z

Consortium
24th May 2002, 06:49 PM
Lots of varied tastes here!

I am an old punk rocker from way back, now moved on to other things... grew up on Kraftwerk, Joy Division, New Order, Bauhaus, Devo, Dead Kennedys, Buzzcocks, The Specials, Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Clash - am I dating myself here? :roll:

Now mostly listen to The Orb, Sasha, Juno Reactor, Orbital, Björk (The Goddess) whilst working on the computer (fits it well, me thinks). Juno's "Transmissions" is absolutely perfect for UT deathmatch mode....

For jazz: Miles and Coltrane first, naturally... Thelonius Monk when I want to smile and laugh out loud... Dizzy Gillespie for the same... Paul Desmond & Chet Baker for makeout sessions... Billie Holliday anytime... Dave Holland and Steve Coleman for extended cerebral journeys... I played in the Bluebird Jazz Sextet and the Brian Carpenter Quartet. We weren't half bad. Hey, nice call on Bela Fleck - I played a jazz festival with them once (we went on right before them - would have been cold-blooded murder the other way 'round)...

For other moods: the late, lamented Cocteau Twins, the rarely heard Shelleyan Orphan, Hetch Hetchy (which I was in for a while), The Space Masons (same), Danielle Dax, Chris & Cosi (hard to find).... Portishead, naturally...

Oh, yeah, Soul Coughing is always welcome!

Another must-mention: a sadly defunct Florida band called Clang which was simply the most kick-ass band I ever saw. Brains and brawn. They could play like maniacs! Just insane, with some of the best songwriting ever... I got out of the music biz when they couldn't get a deal. I thought "If *they* can't get a deal, good as they are, then it's all just a farce of a sham of a mockery of a farce..."

Oh, Anna - nice to see someone else paid attention to Crowded House. Most think of them as an early MTV one-hit wonder, but "Woodface" and "Together Alone" are fantastic albums... if you like good songwriting, that is... loved by critics, but overlooked by nearly everyone else...

Today's mp3 in heavy rotation: "The Mambo Craze", by De-phazz... it's that kind of sunny day...

How's that?

ps- I read somewhere recently that Radiohead covered a Hetch Hetchy song "Commonplace", but I haven't been able to track it down... that song was a workout to play, and I'd like to hear how they did! :wink:

Lance
25th May 2002, 03:45 AM
oddly enough, i've heard of hetch hetchy, possibly because i'm a radiohead fan, but i've never heard of Clang, even though i live in florida. life is funny

Rob Queste
25th May 2002, 05:11 PM
I like trance, hardtrance, hardhouse and some other more "chillier" styles. But I'm definately a trance addict.

AmigoJack
25th May 2002, 05:26 PM
glad to see someone else liking/knowing/hearing juno reactor :wink:

Nick Burcombe
27th May 2002, 04:02 PM
If anyone wants to download some cool mixes, if you've got Audio Galaxy you can download a mix by a friend of mine called Rob Jay from 3 beat records in Liverpool It's a 74 min mix of some brilliant progressive house stuff. Subtle and spohisticated and just a great mix. There's loads of other stuff on there too. The mix is called Robjam.mp3 and my user name on there is Z-U. Help youself.

Nick

FoxZero
31st May 2002, 01:19 AM
juno reactor is awesome. i truly adore them.

recently i have been interested in more 'intelligent dance' music but i like pretty much anything electronic.. a short list-

aphex twin and his rephlex label mates bogdan raczynski and ovuca
phonem
arovane
autechre, boards of canada, squarepusher, prefuse 73 (warp stuff in general is pretty good)
cari lekebusch and lots of other nearly anonymous artists like joel mull
monolake
the prodigys older stuff
fluke
cj bolland
eat static
underworld
photek
juno reactor
sasha
funkstorunkg
bjork
the future sound of london
etc etc

im extremely particular about what electronic music i like, but i enjoy pretty much anything non-commercial sounding. radiohead are cool but that doesnt say much about me since everyone and their dog is into radiohead. same with portishead, so it would seem. okay, enough of me :)

AmishRobot
31st May 2002, 12:18 PM
Hey consortium! Another aging punk rocker! Now I don't feel so alone. :) Good choices, I don't see Shellyan Orphan or Danielle Dax thrown out there too often. I'll just leave the Soul Coughing alone... ;)

I haven't been too picky lately. I'll litsten to just about any style of dance music, as long as it isn't deep, soulful house. Yikes! Beyond that, I've been listening to disturbing amounts of Cranes and the Flaming Lips.