PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another WO3:SE Emulation Question

Megatron42
31st March 2005, 05:32 PM
My current setup for running Wipeout 3 Special Edition on my computer involves ePSXe, the plugins I'm using I forget (not at my home computer right now), and the PAL version of the disc image loaded on a virtual drive. The most crucial part of the game, IMHO (the music!), isn't working at all. What is required to get the CD tracks to play in-game??

Note: Listing the plugins and settings for those plugins would be really helpful.

Dimension
31st March 2005, 05:48 PM
Hey there decepticon guy fourty and the two, why are you playing it emulated instead of on a PSX? I don't know how many people around here use emulators so your best option would probably be to hunt down some kind of FAQ on the software itsef, possibly on its website and check what that has to say about sound problems, I've personally never used a PSX emulator but from what i remember of a GBA one I used to use, the audio tends to be a bit of a bastard to sort out. Short answer: I can't help you, sorry for wasting your time :(

def
1st April 2005, 02:14 AM
unfortunately for people who download roms the people who create roms rip the music out of the game to achive lower file sizes. Its not done for all games ( most games with midi music wouldent benefit much ) but i personally have never seen a wipeout rom complete with music, best bet is to scrounge a ligit copy of SE and use that instead of your disk image. However pesonally ive noticed that ePSXe displays some interesting messages when music is due, it might be possible to mount an audio cd and let epsxe control it but i havent figured that out yet, btw epsxe can run images so it is fairly redundant to mount an image to a virtual drive and tell the emu to read that drive. Just go to load img ( it works with .iso .img and .bin/.cue ). GL let us know if you figure anything out.

wipeoud
1st April 2005, 07:11 AM
Why would anyone emulate a ps1/wo when a second hand cost only $50? Just curious i havce used so many emulators with different emulated systems, but 80% seem to have small problems. There is nothing imho that can compare to a real wo on a ps1/ps2 :-)
The speed, the sound, the playablity, thats the reason why i would never sell my ps2, how woud i play WO3SE :-)

mid
1st April 2005, 10:50 AM
I play WO3:SE on my PS2 just fine (and because I want my times to count), but if my ePSXe setup didn't crash at the first bend for some bizarre reason, I'd be really tempted to emulate it. At 1024x768 with anti-aliasing, perspective correction, trilinear texture filtering and so on, the game looks absolutely amazing, and far better than either the real thing or indeed Fusion.

wipeoud
1st April 2005, 10:54 AM
That sounds to good to be true :-)
I want to try that also, just for fun. What is the best ps emu to try?

Mano
1st April 2005, 11:17 AM
He might be using emus to play WOSE because he lives in a NTSC region country, and WOSE only exists for PAL hardware.., emulators can play both regions on pc...

wipeoud
1st April 2005, 01:46 PM
Tried epsx today, result worked great, no music, just soundeffects. Soundeffects was the best to get it to work, all the other soundplugins wouldnt work at all.
I used peters gfx en soud plugins on xp.

In default mode (1) it looked like 640x480 blown up to 1280x1024, not much better then my tv.
Tried double internal x and y resolution, but i got a black screen, would not work.
Tried a few more settings BUT then everything froze, black screen even restarting xp would work anymore. Blacdk screen evrytime when it was finished booting.
Luckily i had a restorepoint in windows to go back to else, else i had format my pc. Let that be a warning. I go back to my ps2/wo3se and forget about ePSX.

TYSON
2nd April 2005, 12:31 AM
I can help you out here, had the same problem.

It doesnt matter what emulator your using, the Music that should be playing is based on the mounted image on a 'virtual drive'. Basically you need to activate the drive to produce sound, if you right click on a normal CD-Rom drive in windows and goto properties (hardware - then the drive - then properties again) and look around there is a tickbox that says 'Enable digital audio CD for this CD-Rom device'... that should give you a good clue.

What I use for mounting images is Alcohol 120%'s Virtual Drive, if you go into the VD settings and look under 'Driver Parameters' tick the box for 'Manual Sound' and Direct output may also be needed. If your not using Alcohol, fish around for something similar with the software your using, I hope this helps you.

Cheers
Tyson :wink:

Nostromo
20th April 2005, 03:07 PM
What is required to get the CD tracks to play in-game??

First of all sorry for my poor english.

Well, epsxe can't handle audio cdda when game image is loaded from 'File - Run ISO'. That's imperative in this emulator. Nothing to do in this way.

What to do to hear audio CDDA (like music in psx wipeout games)? You have two alternatives. First you can put in your cd-rom drive your original (or your own back-up copy) wipeout game. So, you can hear music during the game, but... only if your audio card is connected to your CD-ROM drive with a digital audio cable.

What to do if your audio card hasn't digital cable audio (most common in modern systems)? Let's go to second option: You can run an image (create with alcohol 120% or similar) of the original game from 'File - Run CDROM' but only if you are using a cd image driver in the epsxe plugin cd-rom option. This plugin is called 'Mooby cd disk image driver 2.8' and you can find it easily in google.

Now you can play your wipeout game in epsxe and enjoy in-game music tracks.

Regards from Spain.

Hellfire_WZ
20th April 2005, 04:32 PM
One thing to add to the above.

When you first install the Mooby CD plugin, it has a habit of setting the volume of CDDA tracks to zero by default. I didn't realise this at first and thought the music still wasn't working. Make sure you go into configuration for the CD plugin and alter the volume if this happens. Try to find the Eternal audio plugin as well, it's easily the best of the lot.

Flyer XL
22nd May 2005, 01:58 AM
My current setup for running Wipeout 3 Special Edition on my computer involves ePSXe, the plugins I'm using I forget (not at my home computer right now), and the PAL version of the disc image loaded on a virtual drive. The most crucial part of the game, IMHO (the music!), isn't working at all. What is required to get the CD tracks to play in-game??

Note: Listing the plugins and settings for those plugins would be really helpful.

You must have "Enable XA sound" checked in the "Config Sound" dialog. There is an annoying bug in ePSXeCutor that switches off XA sound so I would recommend not using it if you want to hear the CD audio. I use a real PSOne version of Wipeout 1 and WO3 - I don't know if XA sound configuration affects a virtual disc but it's worth checking out.

Someone wondered why anyone would emulate PSOne games on their PC - I do it becuase 1.) I can and 2.) my TV is already cluttered with a VCR, DVD, digital cable tuner, broken PS2 (it plays PS2 games but not PSOne or DVDs) and other debris and I don't feel like dragging out my old PS as well. However, WO3 doesn't run well with all the effects on the emu so I might end up dusting off my old PS.

adam917
20th July 2005, 05:41 AM
Why would anyone emulate a ps1/wo when a second hand cost only $50? Just curious i havce used so many emulators with different emulated systems, but 80% seem to have small problems. There is nothing imho that can compare to a real wo on a ps1/ps2 :-)
The speed, the sound, the playablity, thats the reason why i would never sell my ps2, how woud i play WO3SE :-)Well, as I'm in the US & have an NTSC TV (but can still _run_ any region game or copied game), my TV doesn't display the PAL games right. So even if I had WO3:SE, the bottom 48 lines of the screen will be pushed off the bottom and at the top of my TV screen, there's a black border for the top 48 (-47 to 0) lines. Oh well, at least it can handle the 50 Hz signal that PAL uses, so no rolling picture.

Anyway, this is why I would use an emulator. Plus, when you have the complete CD mounted as a virtual drive via Alcohol 120 % or similar and use ePSXe on a high-end system, the PS1 games can look and run far better & faster than on the regular thing. Plus, there's hardly any loading times or even memory card access times! Me, being an electronic music freak and a sound quality freak, have a nice 400-watt stereo hooked to my PC, but my TV's sound is crap. I'd much rather play ANY games on my PC for this reason! LOL

seek
27th July 2005, 04:49 PM
I always play WO3SE on my PC with ePSXe. Mainly because playing @ 1280x1024 with AA and 2xSAI makes the game look far more graphically amazing than it ever possibly could on a standard TV through a playstation console. :)

it helps if you have a USB playstation joypad adapter for your pc though. you can pick them up for around £10 on ebay.

Tanhauser
11th September 2005, 10:44 AM
Woo, I'd really like to try that. Could you tell me what programs/emulators/plugins I need to get that to work? I'd really appreciate it.

edit by Lance: quotation eliminated. please read the WipeoutZone guidelines

CZA
1st October 2005, 11:26 AM
I've got it working properly. Only problem is, the Assegai ship's cockpit is to the side of the actual ship...

eLhabib
1st October 2005, 11:49 AM
ROFL!

that's SUPPOSED to be there!

element42
1st October 2005, 11:51 AM
Hmmm, I almost replied similarly, but I wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic... :?

CZA
5th October 2005, 06:00 AM
Ahhh... :oops:

Beakman
18th January 2009, 06:01 AM
Hi everyone. Been checking this forum since Wipeout pure, and I joined today to share with you my experience with ePSXe and WO3se.

Since I can't get Wipeout HD on the PSN (regional issues) Today I decided to run WO3se on my tv at 1920x1080. The best hi res trembling polygons ever. I didn't remember that the game had widescreen support! cool!

I installed the according drivers to use the dualshock3 under windows (if someone needs advice on that, he can happily contact me)

I downloaded ePSXe and a crapload of plugins for it and configured it.

I have the game in a bin. cue. disc image in my hdd. I used the pete's video plugin and internal ePSXe plugins for sound and cdrom. I used the american PSX bios.

I loaded the game using the "Run ISO" ePSXe option. The music played without issues, altough I didn't test if the in game music selector worked.

Now, I've been doing my research and supposedly, for ePSXe is impossible to read CDDA tracks if the optical drive doesn't have the analog audio cable connected, (this is a recent laptop, so I dunno if it has such cable) and anyway, since I'm reading the cd image, there's no "analog" audio going out of the game. There are alternatives, like the one said in the previous post. Another one is to use the "daemon tools" utility (a virtual drive manager) with analog audio emulation on to mount the image. I haven't tried but there's a free version of daemontools on their homepage.

But then how in the hell did I get the music? Weirdest thing: since the music was somewhat loud, I turned it off using the in game menu to see if the sound FX were working accuratelly. Now I don't get any music at all! regardless of which setting is selected in the aforementioned menu.

I´ve tried everything: changing plugins and their settings, resetting epsxe to its defaults, going through the plugin config wizard all over again, even deleting the emulated memory card (not the save, the whole card) and I can't get the music to work again. But I'm sure that ePSXe has the capabilities to read CDDA tracks directly from isos.

This sucks, wipeout 3 in my opinion has the best soundtrack of them all.

Darkdrium777
18th January 2009, 06:53 AM
Mount image with Daemon Tools. Rip soundtrack. Play in favorite media player on repeat and shuffle. End. ;)

Welcome to WipEoutZone by the way :)

Beakman
18th January 2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks!

Yes, that seems to be the right choice.

It looks awesome with the filters on and at 1920x1080.

Still, I'll keep researching on the CDDA thing, may be useful for guys in the emulation scene, if it hasn't been cleared up already.

Sausehuhn
26th January 2009, 10:11 AM
By the way, has anybody tried to run the game on a Mac yet? I'm interested!