PDA

View Full Version : Pure on fast speeds

JABBERJAW
30th March 2005, 02:44 PM
Played a little rapier speed today. You can make massive jumps with the use of turbo. I actually have time to play tonight to get phantom, so I'm pysched. The game gets much floatier the faster you get(off bumps, jumps, ect), so it looks like there are lot's of areas for barrel rolls if you are fast enough.

Space Cowboy
30th March 2005, 02:48 PM
Sounds great, cant wait to play it. hows the frame rate holding up as the game speed increases?

JABBERJAW
30th March 2005, 02:59 PM
When the weapons are going off and a lot of ships are around(especially at the beginning of races), it's choppy, but it is playable and pretty good most of the time.

infoxicated
30th March 2005, 03:04 PM
Played a little rapier speed today. You can make massive jumps with the use of turbo. I actually have time to play tonight to get phantom, so I'm pysched. The game gets much floatier the faster you get(off bumps, jumps, ect), so it looks like there are lot's of areas for barrel rolls if you are fast enough.
Holey ****... I mean, it's almost as if I said the same thing to you only days ago. :twisted:

JABBERJAW
30th March 2005, 03:05 PM
I know :oops:

infoxicated
30th March 2005, 03:10 PM
:lol:

Just teasing, Al - I knew you'd get more enjoyment out of it when the speed got going. :)

eLhabib
30th March 2005, 03:37 PM
tell me, have you ever tried pulling two consecutive barrel rolls during one big jump? and if yes, did it result in a bigger boost upon landing?

Sausehuhn
30th March 2005, 04:49 PM
So, Al, it's better at the higer classes? You said the game wouldn't be good at first, know you think it's good?
I'm interested, want to know if this game is good or not. I would buy the PSP for Pure, maybe for some other games, too, but Pure is the mainpoint.
So I don't want to pay money for something that's not good.
I just want some opinions :)

mlinklater
31st March 2005, 07:48 AM
have you ever tried pulling two consecutive barrel rolls during one big jump? and if yes, did it result in a bigger boost upon landing?

(de-lurking Wipeout Pure programmer...)

Great idea, but unfortunately you can only do a single barrel roll per jump.

lunar
31st March 2005, 08:47 AM
Hi. Glad you stopped lurking...... now we can bombard you with questions..... :D Congrats on all the great reviews too.

I think it`s probably a good thing you can only do one roll, or maybe it could start moving into SSX territory - stunts for boost wouldn`t belong in wipeout I think. It should be about racing lines not how many tricks you can squeeze in off the jumps. Next thing you know we`d be doing a triple backflip stalefish butt plant or something in a Qirex. This barrel roll looks cool but I`m sure its quite enough.

How does the barrel roll work - is the boost activated automatically when you land or do you have to manually activate it?

infoxicated
31st March 2005, 09:11 AM
It just happens automatically when you land. You need to be a bit strategic about it, actually - there's no point in going for one when the sudden boost would take you into a wall. I've ruined a few races by going for one when I didn't really need to and I haven't been able to keep the ship on track when it boosts. That might just be me being crap, though! :)

Dogg Thang
31st March 2005, 09:11 AM
It happens automatically as soon as you land.

pseudonym
31st March 2005, 10:35 AM
can't believe you guys are on Rapier already... I am struggling to get Gold on Blue Ridge in Flash. I know the track inside out now, but even the slightest fault (such as scraping a wall badly and missing a speed boost) causes me to fall into 2nd place. I'm loving it, but it's bloody unforgiving (which is excellent!)

TMoney
31st March 2005, 11:14 AM
I'll tell you one thing that can frustrate me about Phantom and Rapier... jumps that take me over the edge of a track and off of it completely... geez! :)

4 golds at Phantom so far.. going to do the time trials today (what I can of them anyway).

Dogg Thang
31st March 2005, 11:31 AM
Pseudonym, I haven't got gold on Flash Blue Ridge either. I've actually got very few golds on Flash but, depending on how the AI does, you can unlock Rapier by just being lucky and not doing too badly in the Flash tournaments.

Rapier was killing me on the bus this morning so this lunchtime I have been going back to get those golds in Flash and I still can't do some of them.

I never went over the edge with a jump, TMoney, but I have noticed you can ride the rim of the tracks for a while which I don't think could be done in any other Wipeout. I have had to stop doing barrel rolls at the higher speeds because I kept hitting walls as soon as the boost kicked in.

pseudonym
31st March 2005, 11:55 AM
so is it common practice among wipEout Gods to use different ships for different tracks?

I just assumed you'd pick a ship you like (in my case Quirex) and learn to kick **** on all the tracks...

Rapier Racer
31st March 2005, 11:58 AM
Actually, sorry to bring the mood down my mentioning Fusion here but you could do that on Fusion too at least for a short while I’m sure

pseudonym
31st March 2005, 12:02 PM
All the great things about pure have added up to a killer app for the PSP. I wonder how amazing the playstation 3 version will be now they (scee liverpool) know the strengths of the game better than ever. </dream>

def
31st March 2005, 12:16 PM
About those insane jumps on fast speeds: I pulled off a massively awesome one yesterday in the phantom Sinucit single race, get yourself a turbo, hit both of the speed pads before the jump and hit the turbo just before you take off, do a barrel roll and pull right. You can just clear the billboard at the end of the straight and land facing the finish line.

JABBERJAW
31st March 2005, 09:31 PM
I don't think I said it wouldn't be good, I was just ajitated by a few things. I think the game is very good, with a few faults. I think I'll give a review next week. I want to play it a little more before commenting on the game as a whole.

Played phantom yesterday, barely got bronze on ascension rapier due to blowing up a couple of times, stupid, lots of yelling. It is very fast, especially after hitting turbos and using the turbo weapons, you can really get moving. I think piranha from xl is faster when no turbos are used, but when you get moving it is absolutely faster than piranha at phantom speed for xl.

So far this seems like the hardest wipeout to get a perfect lap, much less a perfect race on, even if I had a negcon. Even harder than wipeout 1

Mano
31st March 2005, 09:57 PM
Ah but you will get them if youre not already ;)

I am very happy to hear it has the possibility to go faster than Xl phantom piranha, very very happy.

im seriously thinking of getting the disk, and using my cousins PSP for a while, until i save money to buy my own.

My girlfriend is in Wisconsin right now and is coming back around the 15th of April.. maybe i will send her an email and tell her to bring me the disk.... undecided yet since i dont have the hardware and dont want to spend that money on a psp right now....but still might get the disk.... arrgh decisions!

JABBERJAW
31st March 2005, 10:56 PM
ON the turns especially it slows down more than piranha, a little like Quantum Redshift

AmishRobot
1st April 2005, 02:28 AM
can't believe you guys are on Rapier already... I am struggling to get Gold on Blue Ridge in Flash.
Can't believe you're already struggling to get gold on Blue Ridge in Flash... I'm still struggling to get enough money to buy a goddamn PSP! :evil:

:wink:

stin
1st April 2005, 07:12 AM
I still can`t believe I have not got the PSP yet!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: I`m egging for it!!

stevie :(

eLhabib
1st April 2005, 08:51 AM
I still can't believe I missed the UPS delivery man this morning due to heavy drinking last night, and now I'll have to wait till the afternoon or even till monday! AAAARGH!

pseudonym
1st April 2005, 10:10 AM
I have Rapier!!! and it's gooood.

I'm off home today to meet a friend who also has pure, so will report back on how the multiplayer goes :)

Dogg Thang
1st April 2005, 10:17 AM
Rapier is really, really tough. I'm having a very hard time with it. Having said that there are still two Flash courses I haven't managed to get gold in yet. I'm so glad there is a serious challenge in this game.

yawnstretch
1st April 2005, 11:35 PM
Nah Rapier is great - feels more like what Im used to!

Love the livery ag systems ship - it looks SAVAGE at the race start (it looks ok from the back).

My favourite tracks so far are that 'nuevo something or other' track with the super sharp turn and the sunny fog and that lovely city architecture! Also the track advertisements are genius!

Concept
4th April 2005, 09:38 AM
I've got gold on everything in the first three classes, and all single races in rapier.

However, I'd appreciate some help/advice with the tournaments on rapier, which I'm struggling with.

Anyone find Citta Nuova absolute hell on the faster speed classes?

Dogg Thang
4th April 2005, 10:29 AM
Yeah, that course is nasty in Rapier. That and Karbonis seem to me to be the two tough courses in Rapier (I haven't unlocked Phantom as I want to get gold in all of the time trials before I do the tournaments). I got gold in the single races for them eventually and used Assegai all through Rapier. It wasn't as prone to blowing up as the Zone ship is and the handling just seems to work at the Rapier speed.

We seem to be around the same point here so I don't have much advice to offer here except to say that I think the reason both courses are tough is that they can easily be lost by oversteering. Go subtle on your steering and it might help. Also remember if you get gold in the others you'll still likely take gold in the tournament.

def
4th April 2005, 04:49 PM
Cita Nuova is a rough track when you get fast especially the chicane, there are basically two options, a) use the analog nub or b) slow down. If you picked a then you need to pull the nose of the craft down before each of the left turns, instead of pushing the the analog stick straight left push it at the diagonal between up and left. It will take a while to get used to but once you get it it works. If you picked b ( which is my choice for single race because i prefer the d-pad ) you should let go of the x button before the left turns and re-apply pressure as soon as you get back on the ground, follow this quickly with a side-shift ( double tap ) and repeat. after exiting the chicane a side-shift will get you around that hard left corner. These strategies may not get you sterling timetrial records and they need a bit of improvement but they are sufficent for a 1st on rapier and phantom. gl, later.

pseudonym
4th April 2005, 07:13 PM
wifi multiplayer is good.

excellent range, very little lag. Great fun indeed.

JABBERJAW
7th April 2005, 02:43 PM
Now this is what I'm thinking about phantom speed after playing it a bit.

When the turbos are used it is faster than piranha from xl, but when not used, I think it is similar to wipeout 3. The turns really slow you down, and the acceleration is not close to the other games after taking big turns, or when you hit, or get hit by a weapon, it takes a long time to get moving again(causing a lot of yelling, move!!). I also noticed not much of a difference in speed between the ships. Took out feisar for a test run and ran only slightly slower times than the zone ship, and it was much easier to control, although once zone ship is mastered, maybe 5 seconds a race, but that is it. In order for a ship to feel like piranha or piranha 2 it would need these stats

Speed 6
thrust 8
turn 5
shield 5

The thrust is the main thing that would need to be jacked up to reaccelerate after wall hits. Hopefully in about 6 months we can have a ship like this. I'm looking foward to the ships already in production.

rob, could we get stats on the new ships? I'm really curious as to what icarus will be.

rekcirednos
7th April 2005, 09:03 PM
Are you guys running clean laps on the faster tracks? I'm getting pretty good at the viper races but I'm having a terrible time keeping off of the walls. Going faster yet and keeping clean seems nearly impossible to me right now.

How much tapping on the airbreaks goes on at higher speeds? I'm using them a lot already on viper.

eLhabib
7th April 2005, 09:24 PM
viper!? no, no, that's RAPIER, son. RAPIER. :mr-t

rekcirednos
7th April 2005, 09:40 PM
Sorry about that.. I meant Venom. I'm temporarily separated from my shiny box so I can make a living.

Rapier Racer
8th April 2005, 11:04 AM
hmmm viper, could have been used instead of flash

JABBERJAW
8th April 2005, 12:50 PM
viper would be better than flash. Although maybe a sixth speed class is needed :D

After playing one more time, the supership would need 6 turning to make it feel grippy. The zone ship feels nowhere near as grippy as feisar, even though they have the same rating(because of the slightly faster speed). A supership should feel like feisar in this game, but 15-20% faster. In Xl, the feisar felt like the piranha ship, but slower, in 64 ag systems felt just like the piranha 2, only slower.