PDA

View Full Version : Advice on cleaning PSP screens

Thruster2097
27th March 2005, 12:11 PM
For a few months now, I have been working in a laboratory making spectacles for a well known company in the UK. We have to use lens cleaning solutions to maye your finished spectacles look perfect! Anyway, I have been reading on here that a few people have found that the screen on their PSP is becoming very dirty and grimy very quickly. Stuff like fingerprints, smears, etc...
I found the same problem. I have only had it for two proper days and the sides of the screen have very dirty thumbprints.

Anybody wanting to clean the screen of their shiny PSP should visit either a spectacle store, or high street chemists, and get a "lens cleaning cloth" and a pump-able (possiply a diffuser?) bottle of "lens cleaning solution" I cannot stress enough, DO NOT get an aerosol (spray) can of lens cleaner. The aerosol propellant in the can (usually propane), with continued use, will DESTROY the face of your PSP.

Ideally, you should take a lens cleaning cloth (or possibly any lint-free and non-abrasive cloth) and pump some of the cleaner onto the cloth. Clean the screen in small circular motions until desired cleaning is accheived.

Hope this helps :D

rejj
27th March 2005, 01:51 PM
Those small squares of silky cloth? They are great. My sunglasses bag thing is made out of the same (or very similar) material.. so I'm guessing that would work also.

Or, if you have it, the Enjo screen cleaning cloth would do the job (we have one at work, and it does wonders for our CRT and LCD monitors)

Thruster2097
27th March 2005, 03:44 PM
yep, that sort of thing works great.

Also, as an alternative, you could get those sticky screen covers. I guess they should work :?

yawnstretch
27th March 2005, 10:06 PM
I remember going straight to a spectacles shop about a day after my PSP arrived - and getting one of these babies!

Cost me 4 quid though :(

- Still worth it. I hear the US version actually comes with a cloth though.

Rapier Racer
27th March 2005, 10:15 PM
oh does it, the Euro version should come with 2 cloths and a tank of cleaning fluid then :wink:

def
28th March 2005, 01:39 AM
I bought the US version and it does come with a cleaning cloth, its pretty high quality and made from a grey lint free material. The cleaning cloth was available in japan with the value pack by the way. As for cleaning solutions i havent had much trouble so far, of course it has only been a few days since the 24th. Thanks for the tips

infoxicated
1st September 2005, 01:11 PM
Thrusty, my girlfriend put my Nokia 6600 in her bag at the weekend along with the housekeys. Cue one scratched mobile phone screen.

I know there must be some kind of very lightly abrasive emery cloth or something out that that'll help rescue it, any suggestions?

bakkufu
1st September 2005, 04:18 PM
Uk version has a little cleaning cloth in it, just like glasses from specsavers.

Thruster2097
4th September 2005, 07:30 PM
sorry rob, I can't advise anything that would help. The fine glasspaper would probably just leave it with more scratches.

Maybe you could stick it into one of those green spinnie CD-cleaners.... I think they're called "skip dr"

Sorry mate, not sure what to suggest. If we get scratched lenses at our place we
usually chuck'em away before the customers see them

Dogg Thang
4th September 2005, 08:54 PM
I can't say how highly I recommend getting screen protectors. There are some that have sections for the entire front of the PSP. The peace of mind they give is priceless.

Hyper Shadow
5th September 2005, 07:24 PM
Signed. I've had to put one on mine because I'm cleaning it every second because I'm finding damn streaks all the time.

brokenvoice
6th September 2005, 02:27 PM
I'd be wary of using the lense cleaning solution (because, let's face it, it's still a solvent) on the PSP. All you need is one of those microfibre cloths. However, they can be quite thin (even the one in the PSP value pack) so any oil on your fingers will seep through and the cloth will just smear it all over the display.

What I've found works best is to use another piece of cloth as well as the microfibre. Put the microfibre cloth on top of another piece, then wipe clean with the microfibre surface and the other piece of material will soak up your skin's oil.

Rapier Racer
6th September 2005, 06:45 PM
I always wash my hands before use lol

Rouni Kenshin#1
6th September 2005, 11:29 PM
I just rub it down with the cloth befure use. That cloth is the best accessory in the package.

Drakkenmensch
7th September 2005, 01:10 AM
Agreed! It's a very inexpensive addition to put in the package, but it shows that they care about us :)

I carry it around everywhere I go and use it constantly to remove the big fingerprints I leave on my PSP that CSI could pick up and analyze without the need of their fancy techniques and gizmos.

Megatron42
7th September 2005, 01:32 AM
I stuck one of those thick plastic protectors across the screen a week after I bought it. Everything was great, I can clean the protector's surface with little consideration for how rough I am with it, because it's throw-away anyway.

One piece of advice though: affix the screen in a room without a lot of dust. I applied mine in my friend's living room with dust flying around so thick you'd think you were in a barn, and got the sticky side all dirty in the short time I had it removed from the backing until affixed to the PSP. Now there are permanent bubbles until I get a new screen protector!

Punk
8th September 2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks for that.

I've tried it and it works really well :D

Rapier Racer
8th September 2005, 09:26 PM
lol

I just give my PSP screen a polish with the little cloth every night before he goes to bed (the carry case)

MissileStrike
9th September 2005, 12:19 PM
The little cloth thing is nice. Maybe people could laminate the screens. :)

username
9th September 2005, 12:32 PM
heres a tip: before play do a few chin-ups, this will dro out your hands and reduce the ammount of oil you deposit on the screen :wink: