PDA

View Full Version : My "I got it all" thread

TMoney
20th March 2005, 03:48 PM
Hello everyone!

On the 18th, I was able to purchase Pure on my vacation in Florida on my last day there, and I just spent the entire car ride home to Ontario playing it.

WOW. It's a beautiful game. I'd say she's the hardest of them all so far too... very hard for me to stick to FEISAR and win like I usually like doing. Assegai is proving a good choice.

The 360 in the air move can prove hard with the stick with some sweat on your hands ;)

Bottom line - I'm extremely impressed. It beats Fusion so badly I can't see why anyone would play it again.

Anyway - back to unpacking!

infoxicated
20th March 2005, 04:31 PM
Congrats :)

Sausehuhn
20th March 2005, 04:35 PM
Wow! This is awesome! Now I want this game more than I did before! ... is this possible? :roll:

Lance
20th March 2005, 04:48 PM
no, it's not possible. :)

Sausehuhn
20th March 2005, 05:12 PM
Yes, you're right Lance ;)

Rapier Racer
20th March 2005, 05:20 PM
This delay nonsense is driving me crazy!! Every time I come on here and read these posts the I wantitness goes up by 1 million, maybe these delays are in fact a cleaver-marketing ploy by Sony

Sausehuhn
20th March 2005, 05:35 PM
and it works! :wink:

no, really, why we have to wait so long? They started their first handheld and it isn't available all over the world? What is thas? They do not say any word about a lauchday! Why? If the game woudn't be so good, I would say: "Hey Sony, the PSP is your problem, I won't buy it!"
But when I hear these words and see these pictures and movies, I can't wait any longer.
... I will use this time for getting more money for the console... :roll:

Mobius
20th March 2005, 05:51 PM
Thats what i am doing here. Saving what i need.

[semi-accurate rant]

Apparently they wanted to release it here before the end of the financial/fiscal (wherever your from) year which i beleive is the 31st March in the UK. Which i cant see happening - tho it would be a friggin miracle if it did. I think when they have their budget sorted they are gonna tell us on the 1st of april 2005 that they are going to release them in Europe on the 7th April and retailing @ £100...

...then tell us that was an April's fool joke. :(

But seriously i think that by the start of the new financial year we will have a fixed date.

yay

[/semi accurate rant]

Rapier Racer
20th March 2005, 06:27 PM
lol what a great Arpil fools joke :D

Lance
20th March 2005, 07:40 PM
don't forget that Sony are having financial difficulties these days, very different from the old AkIo Morita days, so this may be having an effect on what they can afford to do if they don't have spare cash to have a huge stockpile PSPs and games before release dates.

oh, btw, Steve, can i call you Steve?, [sorry, am drunk at the mo], ''wantitness''] hehe, sounds like something from The Neverending Story. love that flick. and book
tallyhoooooooooooo

TMoney
20th March 2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the congratulatory remarks ;) haha

I truly am proud of the effort ! When I left for Florida, I thought there was no way I'd have it by the ride home, since release dates at the time said 23rd.

When I got to Orlando, a few EB stores had Wayne Gretzky's hockey and the soccer game. Then the day after that NFS:Rivals, Spiderman 2, THUG and Dynasty Warriors were on the shelves... so I asked the clerk what was up, who informed me Wipeout showed shipped and that I could probably pick it up the next day.

Just some facts for the curious I guess :

Today I connected to the WO:Pure download service and the cover photo was there saying that downloads were coming soon.

The 2nd menu skin available is just inverse colours of the original menu... which is mostly white w/light blue and red/pink lettering.

The game doesn't let you pick specific music tracks in the race. It's either random or sequential.... but you can add and remove tracks from the playlist.

The 4 classic tracks are 'neotronic' tracks... basically everything looks very tron-like , a-la Wipeout 3's bonus tracks. The classic tracks aren't *exactly* like their originals... meaning for example a turn may not have the same angle of track it had orginally. I think it was the orginal WO track where I noticed that.

Mines make a very cool sort of beeping noise... you can hear them sometimes before you see them. There's also a bomb you can drop that has a similar sound. The sound has come in handy a few times for me around a corner, where I couldn't see but still could expect to find them.

Wow the graphics. WOW. Movies online don't do them justice. There's this one part ... I can't be bothered to get the track name now.. but you've all seen it. The track where it it splits with a giant gaping whole in the center of the split, and then comes back together. Anyway, it's a minor thing, but somewhere in the track you see a faint rainbow pattern across this huge panoramic... I don't know.. looks like a turned off LCD screen or something... and the rainbow pattern followed you as you made the turn... it was such a minor detail but I was shocked to notice it. This game is simply gorgeous.

Everytime you get a gold medal, it shows up on your progress chart. Kind of the same way Wipeout 3 worked for the single race-chart , but for everything. There are medals for time trials, Zone, Tourny and single races... but for every gold you get - you can select it and a piece of concept art comes up. I've won a lot of them now... and they could publish a book of this stuff.

Anyway - have any questions post them and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Concept
20th March 2005, 08:12 PM
A very simple one. :)

Do you think Pure is up to the standards of 2097 from what you've played so far?

Shem
20th March 2005, 08:31 PM
great!!

- okay, tell us about the teams. How did it happen that AG-Sys are back, same with Qirex and other teams missing from Fusion ?

- what is the overall feel of the tracks? are they wide, narrow, industrial, dark or W'O" like? (*important to me* - is there a 'snowy' track? [silverstream...sagarmantha....])

- did you manage to unlock Phantom? if so, how is it?

- what about the pitch control? can you tell us if it really exitst? or if it makes any effect on your flight?

Concept
20th March 2005, 08:33 PM
Shem - I've already seen videos of a snow track with snow falling down. :)

Shem
20th March 2005, 08:35 PM
well, i didn't :)

thanks for the info tho.

Lance
20th March 2005, 08:41 PM
[waves hello from Orlando; sorry i missed you. sorry about the rain, but it wasn't my fault! :) ]

Concept
20th March 2005, 08:48 PM
well, i didn't :)

thanks for the info tho.

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/wipeout/media.html

Gameplay footage 7. There's your snow track. :)

Looking good.

Shem
20th March 2005, 08:56 PM
aahhh, there it is....

Now i can die happy. :lol:

TMoney
20th March 2005, 08:59 PM
Very much up to 2097/XL standards for me....
The soundtrack isn't as good in my opinion... but it's still damn good.

My brief manual read tells of the fall of the F9000 league, and that how only purists remained to race until the birth of the FX300 league. All the classic teams come back to this island to race...

No word specifically on AG that I noticed though.

I'm currently at Flash level mostly. Which is difficult for me.. and XL and 3 are a cake walk for me now... Pure is much more challenging.

But I can tell you now from what I've seen from Flash.... you'll get the speed you want and maybe some you don't.

I actually tried pitch control a few times... it's mentioned in the manual so there is an effect - but I didn't notice it like I can in XL or 3. I don't really use it on jumps as I did, because I'm concentrating on rolling at those points instead (because it gives you a speed boost when you land).

Your snow track is the second last real track in the game.

And Lance, no worries on the weather. I got there Friday and had 4 decent days.... and one or two good days after that. Compared to Windsor, ON - your worst day in Orlando is glorious. Besides, without a rainy day I wouldn't have made it to the Florida Mall to by WO ;)

Cheers everybody ;)

Shem
20th March 2005, 09:19 PM
My brief manual read tells of the fall of the F9000 league

About freakin' time. Now all things make sense. Natasha Belmondo's quote from Pure especially...

yawnstretch
20th March 2005, 09:27 PM
"The soundtrack isn't as good in my opinion... but it's still damn good."
The music playing on IGNs latest clips doesnt sound great to me... I was thinking what are the chances of fooling pure and making a 'download' music track of your own in case the rest of the music (unlikely) isnt to one's own tastes?

When official downloadable music tracks show up on the website maybe we can copy the file type??
Music is one of the downloadables right?

Thruster2097
20th March 2005, 09:40 PM
:tmoney
the breif explaination about the death of f9000... is the work of mr. infoxicated. Look it up in the manual.
Its only a short story because he was limited to using (i think) 100 words. No spelling errors, smileys or quotes were allowed because Lance would have immediatley spotted any stray and misappropiate quoting, and partly because the actual manual isnt in the correct format for phpBB.

(sorry :lance)

infoxicated
20th March 2005, 10:28 PM
- okay, tell us about the teams. How did it happen that AG-Sys are back, same with Qirex and other teams missing from Fusion ?
AG Sys never went away, as such, it was just the racing team that was sold to the G-Tech trading empire. Imagine a Walmart of the future buying and running a racing team once owned by BMW. BMW would still make cars, and Walmart would now have a racing team.

If Walmart's racing team wasn't a success, the chances are they'd abandon it at some point, which is kind of waht happened with G-Tech. So in this case AG Systems still existed as they had done before the anti-gravity racing team's inception, and were free to re-enter a works team in the FX300 league when that came along.

Qirex is a little more complicated than that - at least, the way I wrote it is! ;) All will be revealed on the official sites at some point, I'm sure. :)

TMoney
20th March 2005, 10:36 PM
Lance,

I only meant that my read of the manual was brief... as in I didn't read it in depth or for very long.

The death of the F9000 league is just something that had caught my eye. I laughed at it too because I hated Fusion w/a passion.

Lance
20th March 2005, 11:23 PM
?
wasn't me. you must mean somebody else

Concept
20th March 2005, 11:44 PM
TMoney - Cheers for the impressions. I'm glad to read Pure is up to the series' earlier successes..

It's been six years since Wipeout found its form, but it looks as if Pure has brought it all back. As for the soundtrack... as long as it isn't entirely trance-based, I'll be happy. Hopefully, the electro breakbeat/d'n'b flavour should help relate Pure sonically more back to the pre-Wipeout 3 style of sound.

I'm currently at Flash level mostly. Which is difficult for me.. and XL and 3 are a cake walk for me now... Pure is much more challenging.

But I can tell you now from what I've seen from Flash.... you'll get the speed you want and maybe some you don't.

I think BenjaminBirdie mentioned in another topic that people were commenting that Pure is difficult. To be honest, that's welcome in my view. I think the challenge will help Pure's longevity, and the more speed the better.

BenjaminBirdie
20th March 2005, 11:50 PM
Heh. I actually just executed a bit of WipEout evangelism over on the IGN boards about that very same topic. Some guy was under the impression that Ridge Racer looked faster than WipEout Pure. So I broke down the speed class system and explained how unlike most of the forgettable launch games, WipEout presents true challenge and requires skill to open up its true wonderments. Some guy then posted "You just convinced me to buy WipEout Pure". It felt quite nice. Try it in your town or message board today.

Salt|Ultra
21st March 2005, 12:27 AM
Wow the graphics. WOW. Movies online don't do them justice. There's this one part ... I can't be bothered to get the track name now.. but you've all seen it. The track where it it splits with a giant gaping whole in the center of the split, and then comes back together. Anyway, it's a minor thing, but somewhere in the track you see a faint rainbow pattern across this huge panoramic... I don't know.. looks like a turned off LCD screen or something... and the rainbow pattern followed you as you made the turn... it was such a minor detail but I was shocked to notice it. This game is simply gorgeous.

That track is Sinucit and it is simply stunning. It is almost a shame the scenery goes by so fast, you can tell they spent a good amount of work to make it look pretty :)

Dimension
21st March 2005, 12:43 AM
silly question: what happens if you go over the hole? :D

Salt|Ultra
21st March 2005, 01:03 AM
You get transported back on to the track. Not sure on the time penality yet, but it is not overly long.

Unless you mean jumping it? Not sure that would be possible but maybe in Phantom? Flash is not fast enough.

Dimension
21st March 2005, 02:19 AM
I was both interested on the "if it's actually an off the track hole" thing as well as if, with a boost is would be possible to jump it, the holograph arrow things that are on it made me think there was some kind of invisible wall there, still to be seen if going over it will class as off the track, that has been a problem at times before and it will all depend on the pitch control and floatiness, hmm... :)

FoxZero
21st March 2005, 05:41 AM
so uh i guess there is some official centralized times server for pure, since the zone tables havent been altered afaik.. ?