PDA

View Full Version : Modesta

BenjaminBirdie
19th March 2005, 09:01 PM
Well, by now, we've all pored over the full race video of this course over on IGN (second page, if you've missed it) and I figured I'd give it a little space here at the WZ, not just because it's the first track we've all seen from start to finish, but because it's clearly both well designed and completely gorgeous. It's also got some neat features I think merit discussion.

a) I love the futuristic design/grafitti that bleeds onto the tracks. A lovely touch and once you guys get a look at the manual, you'll see that it's actually quite fitting with the overall spirit of the game (and trust me, once you guys get a whiff of it, you are going to shout from the rooftops, it's that great). We can touch on this orverarching aspect of WipEout Pure (a thematic tenet to a racing game? Whaaaa?) on Thursday, but it's just so fitting and great that there's no way you'll get me to spoil it.

b) During (and a hair before) the barrel roll you get a look at the surrounding metropolitan area. This just cold blew me away. A very clever way of showing an enormous amount of geography and implying an enormous amount of detail. On this track alone we're getting a much better sense of what the world of 2197 is really like. Not to mention, that slanted train is just badass.

Even though it's being touted as a return to XL greatness, the vibe I'm getting from the environments is much more in line with a Wip3out-esque tranquility, which I quite look forward to.

And all of this without playing the game for even a second.

Dimension
19th March 2005, 10:36 PM
Modesta is the name huh? it does look rather cool, the ominous sky and the distant city bits look really awesome, the track design i'm not too sure about though. The fairly sharp corners after the big hill look like they'll tax some serious speed after that monster and with the exception of the jump and said hill it seems fairly flat overall, with the exception of a banked corner translation being: I can't see much need for use of the old pitch control anywhere. It might be interesting at faster speeds, but the track design itself doesn't do it for me that much :(

feiyen
20th March 2005, 11:18 AM
lol, modesta is an italian word :D

it means... mh...it's the same in english <.<
"modest" at the female form.

Sausehuhn
20th March 2005, 12:47 PM
The track looks cool, the jump is interesting, but it's short, isn't it? I hope that not every track is as short as this one :roll:

BenjaminBirdie
20th March 2005, 06:33 PM
They all look similarly short, probably because they were designed for, primarily, short stints of play, as the PSP is, no matter how jazzy and powerful, still a portable system.

Lance
20th March 2005, 07:42 PM
good point, BB. most of them are around 4.4 to 4.6?, kilometers. a good length really. i don't like long endurance races anyway, partly why i suck at 5 lap Phantom class. maybe more than 5 laps on Pure?
ai yi yiiiiii, the vodka has got me flying even without a videogame and a controller in my had. woooosh
er... haNd...

Hellfire_WZ
20th March 2005, 07:45 PM
I think Colin said Phantom would be 6 laps in Pure due to the introduction of Phantom class. I've just seen the video, and TBH, it did seem a little short. Oh well, if it's only Vector class, I'm sure we won't notice the length so much when we're trying to keep a craft in one piece on Phantom. :wink:

Lance
20th March 2005, 07:46 PM
yupyup.

btw, did you know that Modesto is a little city in California?

Hellfire_WZ
20th March 2005, 07:50 PM
No I didn't, you learn something new every day! :)