PDA

View Full Version : Downloadable ships.

Hybrid Divide
10th March 2005, 04:23 AM
Just a friendly suggestion / request to the guys doing the downloadable content for WipEout PurE...

Could one of the downloadable ships be made after the Original AG-Systems ship?
(AKA: The type of ship seen in the WIpEout 1 intro. With 2 engines, and its distinctive fins.)

The FEISAR in Pure comes close, but I think it'd be cool to have one from the original spec.

As for the paint job, who knows?

Even if you can't do this, thanks for making this game what it is. :D

Seek100
10th March 2005, 06:50 PM
The paint-job should be the green and white one from the CGI version of the w'o" AG craft, there's a render in a thread in the wipEout 1 boards, looks really cool.

While we're suggesting things like this I'll throw in a request (just incase they read this) for a ship, the 2097 Feisar, the one from the intro, not the ingame version, the intro ship is a modified version of the w'o" 1 CGI (they removed the dual outboard engines, made one central engine, stripped away all the yellow/black warning signals and made the wings join directly to the hull which retained the wider rear which on the w'o" 1 craft held the twin engines, it looked totally nang (that means good).

Once again I echo Vagrant Logic's comments: if you can't do this, thanks for making purE what it is.

BenjaminBirdie
11th March 2005, 04:29 PM
UM.

Did anyone notice the new avatars available here for WipeOut pure and, oh, the fact that they include:

VAN UBER
ICARAS
GOTEKI
TIGRON

!!!SPROING!!!

Wait, Van Uber?

Dimension
11th March 2005, 04:33 PM
Oh wow, they do as well, awesome! :D Guess that's all the verification we really need :hyper

Sausehuhn
11th March 2005, 04:35 PM
Yes, allready noticed!

The fact that Van Uber is german is not really good promotion for Germany, hope this time it will be better, the Fusion one wasn't a real ship. It was just good if you wanted to finish the race in the first lap with losing the full energy or if you wanted to have alot of fun :wink:

silaris
11th March 2005, 05:00 PM
Those avatars were a big suprise to me today, just glad Icaras will be back (although I'll always favor Qirex) just...seeing it doesn't have the best speed (from Weng's post), makes me not want to believe those Japanese magazines. :evil:

Dimension
11th March 2005, 05:21 PM
You talking about the Qirex Silaris? I'd have to agree with you, 3/5's just not what the doctor ordered, that is unless we're to have to re-nickname the qirex to... the not so bricky not bullet, I mean we're talking 4/5 minimum stuff here :o

Sausehuhn
11th March 2005, 05:36 PM
Maybe they will add Xios, ER.r, G-tech and some new teams as well? :D
___

And yes, Qirex seems to slow...
___

And the written 'van uber' under the 'van uber emblem' looks more like 'üan über' (or 'van über'). You've forgotten the german "special" letters, Liverpool ;)

Hybrid Divide
11th March 2005, 06:37 PM
I LOVE THESE ICONS!

Seek100
12th March 2005, 05:39 PM
And the written 'van uber' under the 'van uber emblem' looks more like 'üan über' (or 'van über'). You've forgotten the german "special" letters, Liverpool ;)

Yes, that is odd that they umlauted the 'V', which is impossible if memory serves me correctly.

TBH unless they come up with decent new designs for them I probably wont bother getting the Tigron and VU, if they're just the Fusion versions, the early development shots of the VU looked really promising...

P.S. I still want to see an old 2097 (intro version) Feisar.

Dimension
12th March 2005, 06:04 PM
I would personally be interested to see some fusion ships in a real wipeout style, just to see what kind of designs they would take on, you never know though, they could prove to be very decent ships if the physics of purE are good, let's hope :)

G'Kyl
14th March 2005, 06:00 PM
Yes, that is odd that they umlauted the 'V', which is impossible if memory serves me correctly.

Quite right. The Umlaut only exists for vowels, namely a, o and u. :)

Ben

Rapier Racer
14th March 2005, 06:26 PM
Maybe they changed that in the future

Sausehuhn
14th March 2005, 06:49 PM
The design of the van uber logo is really good, they just have to change these dots. Maybe just putting one dot over a letter, not two. Like it is at the logo itself.

Seek100
14th March 2005, 07:28 PM
Or if they really have altered the German language, linguistic drift could account for such an addition in the next 2 centuries. an umlaut adds an 'e' sound to the vowel it is placed over (like Königsberg is alternately Koenigsberg), thus all it would take is to add an 'e' sound after the v making it pronounced vean-ueber, similar things have happened in the past, 21th C. English is very different in terms of pronounciation and spelling from 18th or 19th C. English, the same is true of all languages and will continue to be true well into the future.

edit by Lance: unnecessary quote of immediately previous post was removed
edit by me: Lance didn't actually remove the quote, I've just done it.

Lance
14th March 2005, 07:32 PM
true, but grenewode is still pronounced greenwood, just a different convention to represent the same sound. spelling has probably changed more than sound

Sausehuhn
14th March 2005, 07:41 PM
... an umlaut adds an 'e' sound to the vowel it is placed over (like Königsberg is alternately Koenigsberg), thus all it would take is to add an 'e' sound after the v making it pronounced vean-ueber...

there's no letter for "Ve" just

ue = ü
ae = ä
oe = ö

But you could think (when you see the dots over the "v") that it os a "u", so:

üan über = uean ueber

:roll:

Rapier Racer
14th March 2005, 07:53 PM
That looks and sounds terrible, I'll stick to Van-Uber ta

Sausehuhn
14th March 2005, 08:09 PM
:D I like the letters.

lölölölölö, jetzt sind wir alle fröh :wink:

Seek100
14th March 2005, 10:16 PM
Erm, I'm well aware of German spelling conventions, the point I was making is that over time those conventions can change and do in many languages to suit the needs of the evolving language. It is perfectly possible that in the next 2 centuries the people in Germany may gradually begin talking in ways that require the addition of new accents to existing words, how else would you explain the presence of so many different accents in French which would not have been present in the Latin it was based on.

Languages evolve, in 200 years time German would be almost incomprehensible to a 21st C. German native speaker, same with English, French, Italian, etc. And almost certainly the spelling conventions and written form will have changed.

edit by Lance: unnecessary complete quote of a post removed

Thruster2097
14th March 2005, 10:53 PM
Am I right in remembering that the "Qirex" team in russian is actually pronunced as Qirahaan, since the "x" at the end of "qirex" is a russian character?

Asche XL
14th March 2005, 11:01 PM
Am I right in remembering that the "Qirex" team in russian is actually pronunced as Qirahaan, since the "x" at the end of "quirx" is a russian character?

I was wondering actually how you pronounced feisar and rapier?

fy-zar? rape-year?

Thruster2097
14th March 2005, 11:07 PM
uh-oh!
can opened.
worms everywhere.
dejavu impending... :wink:

Lance
14th March 2005, 11:22 PM
there's an old topic here on the zone where Nick Burcombe tells the pronunciation of the team names.
Qirex is kyrex
Feisar is fy sar

rapier is in the dictionary :)

G'Kyl
15th March 2005, 05:53 AM
Seek100: With as little insight as I have, I still deem it unlikely that the Umlaut paradigm would ever include consonants, simply because the Umlaut indicates a singular phoneme, whereas "ve" could only in vage theory become a distinctive one-phoneme marker and then get its own letter.

Saushuhn: Uean-Ueber? That almost sounds like "hinüber" - "broken down" in English or, for the less elaborate, "f***ed up". ;)

Ben

zargz
15th March 2005, 08:46 AM
:D LOL! how about just leave it at van über?
or vän über?! > who knows how awkward that sounds!
vän = friend in swedish - pronounced vaen!

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

Seek100
15th March 2005, 12:48 PM
Well except the fact that Van-Ueber are german, and their name as it stands means of-over in English. Wether Friend-over is any better is a matter of personal taste I suppose.

I've never thought to say fysar, I've always pronounced all short vowels, given it's an acronym (Federal European Industrial Science And Research) I don't think it's appropriate to drop the 'e' sound. As a result I've always said it as it's written -feisar, which an anglophone would probably write as faysar.

infoxicated
15th March 2005, 12:54 PM
I've always said Fee-zar.

Mind you, I always thought Madonna was singing "Chocolate ghoolie island breeze" in La Isla Bonita, so it's not entirely surprising that it turned out to be different. :?

eLhabib
15th March 2005, 01:20 PM
"Chocolate ghoolie island breeze" :?

holy sh*t!

infoxicated
15th March 2005, 01:26 PM
Hey, I'm not the only one who got bits of that song wrong. According to Kiss This Guy (http://www.kissthisguy.com/) I'm far from the worst offender, too - check out http://www.kissthisguy.com/archive/lyric.4321.html - at least I knew she wasn't singing "Louise the bone eater"! ;)

UncleZeiv
15th March 2005, 01:45 PM
at least I knew she wasn't singing "Louise the bone eater"! :wink:

:D :lol: thanks for the cool link :)

yawnstretch
15th March 2005, 03:03 PM
I introduced wipeout to a guy and the next week he was pronouncing Feisar the way I believe it's supposed to be - "Fyser"

But It will always be "Fayj ar" to me (with the j pronounced as a French-person would pronounce the J in "Frère Jacques").

Feisar Forever :D

Seek100
15th March 2005, 07:15 PM
Dunno if it's just me but when I say that out loud it sounds like Goldmember in Austin Powers 3 when he starts singing about Austin's 'fahjer' (father).

Zero [RG] [HG]
15th March 2005, 09:47 PM
Feisar is "Fay sahr" for meee!

:D

tapioca
15th March 2005, 10:47 PM
As a typically French person, I would tend to say “Fay sahr”, too. On the counterpart i will say Gooteukwök for Goteki when too tired or when eating yoghurts. Would you like to know how i pronounce Assegai in the same conditions ?

zargz
16th March 2005, 12:13 AM
Face-R! 8)

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

Deadly Diabetic
16th March 2005, 12:24 AM
I've always said Fee-zar.

Thank God I'm not alone.

As for Goteki, I've would say go-tech-ee and Assegai Ah-seg-i?

I'm not a linguist though, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

-DD