PDA

View Full Version : Worthwhile PS2 network games

science
18th February 2005, 12:35 AM
Seeing as how my aim for this semester is to fail each and every class that I'm taking, I recently bought one of the new slim PS2's. Since the network card is incorporated into the new console, I'm itching for some good online gameplay. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Rapier Racer
18th February 2005, 01:29 AM
Depends what things and games you are interested in, WWE smackdown VS RAW is great but only if you like WWE, mortal kombat deception is good too, but powered by gameespy which can be a bit crap sometimes

silaris
18th February 2005, 01:42 AM
Please be cautious with the new PS2, it may look cool, but it doesn't have a built-in fan to cool it down. Check it every once in a while to make sure it's not overheating.

I'll go network when there's an online Wipeout game. :D

science
18th February 2005, 02:11 AM
The reason it doesnt need a fan is that the power supply is now external. The rest of the components combined don't generate nearly as much heat as the power supply does. I put it through rigorous testing with onimusha 3. No problems. :D

Chill
18th February 2005, 02:51 AM
Sweet!!! :D I thought for sure it would have a heating problem. I haven't played any online games yet. I played Midnight Club II, but it was too gangster-like for me. Try this site:

http://www.us.playstation.com/onlinegaming.aspx

:wink:

infoxicated
18th February 2005, 07:42 AM
Science - I can heartily recommend WRC4's online play. It might not be true racing against other cars in the true sense of the term, but it is tooth and nails style scrapping with other people on the same course. The fact that you can share the same line as someone, yet not be barged out of the way by some idiot who would play it Burnout 3 style, seems to make the racing that much more pure.

There are a few courses where people cheat, granted, but once you know which ones it's easy to avoid those games. I was playing it like mad before I went on holiday just there, but I haven't managed a game since I got back and I'm desperate for the weekend to arrive so I can.

The only other Network Play games I've really bothered with are Socom II and Tony Hawks Underground, although I don't play those any longer - the latter I've traded in, and the former just takes too much practice to avoid getting savaged by l33t players. When I was playing a lot of Socom II during spring time last year it was very good fun, though - I lost hours, even days, just wanting one more game. :)

yawnstretch
21st February 2005, 11:25 AM
Killzone, Burnout 3, MK, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow - I play from time to time and my MSN is yawnstretch :wink: