PDA

View Full Version : Wish List for WipEout Pure SE?

Sausehuhn
12th February 2005, 08:28 PM
Yes, to play WipEout online would be cool! 8)

:wink:

zargz
13th February 2005, 12:19 AM
or a woPure SE online with all tracks from wo1, 2097,wo64, 3/se & the best from fusion (with some reverse tracks)
and no shortcuts either! 8O
oh! and all tracks from purE as well :oops:

*wakes up realising it was just a wonderfull dream .. trying hard to fall asleep again .. mumbling as falling asleep ' and No autopilot .. ' *

Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam

Chill
13th February 2005, 03:58 AM
Well, if it had all that zargz said, THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!! I've always wanted to play all of the other classic Wipeout online. Please developers, see this post!!!! :P This would have to provide other crafts, and mabye music (for the same kind of rushes), which would be a lot of work!! If not, they could get all of them onto the PS3, right? :wink:

zargz
13th February 2005, 08:41 AM
thanks .. lance? .. for making a new thread of this! 8)
about the music I guess common wipers (or may b just the extreme) will be fine with 'only' 5 but great tunes in order to get all tracks!
that way as in wo3se there wont be a need for New track but you could stuff the disk with all the old once we all know so well ..
and for me a league going through all tracks from wo1, 2097, 3/se + prototypes , 6-8 tracks from fusion (the 'best')
and all from purE (which I take for granted are great!) perhaps including the zone tracks would be the ultimate .. er .. THING! *can't find words
Then I can just take my psp and woPure and become a munk and/or go live in a cave on some faraway mountain in the far east!
.. though the cave would have to have some decent broad band connection ..
http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/sef.gif Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam .. or make a 'bad' one that slows you down ..

Sausehuhn
13th February 2005, 09:15 AM
Such a SE would be the ultimate WipEout! ...maybe for PS3? There is enough space on the new BD-Roms which are made for the console. round about 50 GB 8O
Enough space for all the tracks! :D

*dreaming*

zargz
13th February 2005, 09:29 AM
I think it was enough space for all wo1, 2097 and 3 tracks on SE already but the music took Lots of space!
that's why I'd be glad to have less songs but only the best like choose 5 of 20! in order to get space for the tracks.
the Main reason though is they didnt have the time to remake the old tracks .. :(
as you know the two japanese ovals were added with no sacrify of tunes at all! :x
and the prototypes could've easily been 4 (6 with the ovals) classic tracks!!! :|
just cant get it Why there's Never Time???!! :?
let the game be developed Two years instead of One!!! ! :evil:

G'Kyl
13th February 2005, 01:34 PM
And then who is going to pay for this? ;) I'm afraid the target audience for a new Wipeout that includes all classic tracks would be far too small to justify the effort.

Drat, hit "Submit" when I wanted a preview. ;) Anyway, I am also not sure I would like to play the game you describe. Let every new Wipeuot stand out not by what it takes over from the earlier ones but by what new it has to offer. A mere collection of tracks just doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Lance
13th February 2005, 02:57 PM
zargz, tell me again how much those little PSP disks and stix hold? :)

hm... do the PSP disks encode music in CDA form like the old Wipeouts and standard music CDs, or do they use more highly compressed formats like MP3 and OGG?

of course, if more music by artists external to the developer were allowed, the licensing of its use would be that much more expensive. [ yes, i realise that this topic invites fantasy rather than the practical difficulties, such as paying 100 dollars U.S. per game 8O ]

zargz
13th February 2005, 04:06 PM
.zargz, tell me again how much those little PSP disks and stix hold? :)I really Don't know! 8O .. .. .. :D LOL!!!

yawnstretch
13th February 2005, 04:11 PM
I think it's 1.8GB for the UMDs
and you can get sticks anywhere from 32MB to a 1GB (I think a 2GB version is being made available soon too).

Chill
14th February 2005, 03:51 AM
A mere collection of tracks just doesn't sound very appealing to me.
--
I do agree that it would be much effort, but these will be able to go online!!! And you can play them "anywhere"!! It's not just a mere collection of tracks, it's more quality for the classic tracks. And, all Wipeout to me (and sorry for disagreeing), seems to be all in one. To me, they seem to be able to go together. :) 8)

G'Kyl
14th February 2005, 07:40 AM
I totally agree, having all tracks updated and online would be great. Yet what I also want from a game is to surprise me - offline, with coherent design, a decent learning curve, not too much time it takes to finish it, [many more things that aren't at focus here] and... just something new.
Imagine how many single races an all-tracks Wipeout would offer - nooo thank you. ;) Think about how much you already knew each and every turn in the game, how little you could still say "Wow!" to the tracks and locations.
And last but bot least I am thinking Wipeout 3, and how much I would have liked the game, had it been released with the 8 classic tracks from 3SE instead of its new ones... No, just to get online I don't want a game that otherwise has little to nothing unique to offer.

There you go, 2 more cents from me, only this time a bit more elaborate. ;)
Ben

Sausehuhn
14th February 2005, 02:18 PM
Yes, you're right Ben. Such a SE wound not be so nice as it sounds. :?

I would like to have a new WipEout (after Pure) in the graphic like the WOP intro movie is. 8O
And also no shortcuts and anything else that could destroy the gameplay. Man, this would look so real!

Maybe on PS3? :D

Dimension
14th February 2005, 02:24 PM
I'll personally just be happy with what I get from purE, it looks sound so i'm not complaining or looking ahead, your opinions might all change after you've seen some ideas they'll have in there. Possibly... :)

Chill
14th February 2005, 03:43 PM
I agree, but couldn't they redo the game with better graphics and an option of customery leagues. Believe it or not, but I haven't ever played anyone else in my life that was really skilled, like me!! Putting these online, with better graphics, customery leagues, and no shortcuts would seem great for those like me! In fact, I would buy it for $100 or even $200, because it would be wonderful to put all my skill to use, not just to waste. Right? :?

Sausehuhn
14th February 2005, 03:50 PM
you would pay it, right. Maybe many many users of this site, too. But not every person would pay this price. Also the console (PS2) is not able to run such high graphics, well, we will see what the PS3 will be able to do, but then a new WipEout will be released.

...I hope they will release the game also for PS2 (with the PSP graphics, maybe a little bit higher). I've not enough money for a PSP at the moment :?

Chill
14th February 2005, 03:54 PM
Well, you're right, I guess. I just love the original Wipeouts, and really want to play them with other skilled individuals. A also think that they should make Wipeout Pure for the PS2 (with online capability)!! :D

zargz
14th February 2005, 08:29 PM
About the internet play there could be wo1 league 2097 league and so on
but also a wipEout league with all tracks in succession coz how many races has a NASCAR seasson for example 20 -30?
and if playing with other real people longer races imo would be better! at least 5laps to get the Real feel! 8)

G'Kyl
14th February 2005, 10:40 PM
and if playing with other real people longer races imo would be better! at least 5laps to get the Real feel! 8)

I am not so sure about that. Granted, 5 laps is a good number, but I don't know if I could take more than that. The whole game is designed towards short but exciting arcade races, so something around 10 laps would feel awkward, I believe. Plus, I'm less than certain I could keep concentration for 8 or more races of a dozen laps each. :)

Ben

Chill
14th February 2005, 10:48 PM
...and if playing with other real people longer races imo would be better! at least 5laps to get the Real feel! 8)
--
I can see where you're coming from, G'Kyl, but with Wipeout 3, I would have fun playing eliminator up to 99!! I love constant racing!! I can just turn up the music, turn down the sound effects (not all the way, of course) and, well, chill!! :D

Rapier Racer
14th February 2005, 11:33 PM
I agree with G’kyl. I would most definitely lose concentration after a while, better keep the races short and sweet, 99 laps just isn’t Wipeout to me. Eliminator or not there’s no way my ship would survive that long as I tend to skip the pit lane when I really shouldn’t

piranha wiper
14th February 2005, 11:43 PM
isnt it slightly early to be talking about pure se? it hasnt even come out her yet! and i dont hink there will be a need because wo3se had different tracks from the other wipeouts, but cant you get more tracks and music for it anyway?

Chill
15th February 2005, 12:57 AM
Well, who ever would survive the longest would make first place, second longest-second place, and so on.

@piranha wiper: Why not dream a little? And the game has already been developed, they could be beginning the production of SE anytime now, right? :wink:

Lance
15th February 2005, 01:15 AM
he's saying that a survival contest would be boring; that's why he would lose concentration. some people don't have the Le Mans mentality. if you like 99 laps, then PSP's Zone Mode may be just what you're looking for, although it's a solo race, so it may not

G'Kyl
15th February 2005, 06:52 AM
Oh, driving Le Mans would be great (I know "he" isn't me, but still). I have been looking for a simulation of the quality of Papyrus games for years - and 3 months ago it would finally appear (from where on I mostly wouldn't have the time to play it, of course)!

Anyway, back to Wipeout. The thing is, Eliminator 99 and WO64-style Time Trial are great, I too like to get into driving and not get out of it anytime soon. But then, in these races you can always take a breath, relax a bit and be at yor best again after the break. In races, however, how do you take a break when everyone else around you is fighting ever so hard over even the tiniest piece of track? You don't, of course, which is why multiplayer races and everything else are just two completely different things to me.

PW: You are right, yet the way I see it, this is just a discussion about Wipeout, any Wipeout for that matter, and how we see the game. purE SE? I wouldn't even dream about it. Just because 3 got 3 SE which had classic tracks doesn't mean every WO game gets an improvement where classic tracks are added to the ones already there. No, hoping for Pure SE seems rather naive to me at the time being. :)

Ben

zargz
15th February 2005, 07:08 AM
lance and 'he' ;) >> well not really le mans 24 hrs, and not either nascar 3-4 hrs or F1 40min, motoGP 30min
but more (looking at Real races) a sprint race - shorter fo two races, 10 - 15 min long
btw dunno if they do them anymore in stock cars in europe :?
but a 10 lap race in venom or rapier would suit me well! ;)

all wuzes :twisted: that wont race more than 5laps >>
thing it racade race with AIs -> after max one lap you are the leader and from there on its time trial! this is true in wo1 2097 and 3!! most of the time
with stin we did the phantom tournament not for the speed but coz of the pain to race Only 4 races!
and not be able to choose what traks to race no (that's why I was on about that in psp before)
For SURE racing contenders better than the AI will keep you on edge not for 5-10 lap but even 20 and more
Thats what drives Schumacher, Rossi, Ernhart Jr and so on in Real life >> the Competition
Also if you host a turnament/league a la Q2/UT you can decide i e - 3 laps venom wo1 league = all tracks in wo1 on venom and 3laps.
then wait for ppl to join in
or 20laps rapier wo3 !!! omg ! hehe
OR 25 laps phantom WIPEOUT(all tracks) league! OMFG!
If no able to host a tournament there could be preset leagues on the server
ah! also turn on/off weapons and turn off sertain weapons as well!
actually racing without weapons on 3/se is Really fun and exiting if raced with an equal wiper!!

piranha w >> look at the name of the topic! :P
g'kyl >> you are right but ppl derams is what gave us electricity, cars,
airplanes, elevators (??), longer life, and eventualy'll give us Anti Graviti :evil: argh!

mid
15th February 2005, 07:41 AM
As regards music, you can fit everything from the previous Wipeout games on a 512Mb memory stick, even at pretty high quality. Since we already know that your standard Pure release will support custom soundtracks done in this way, I just don't see it as an issue.

However, more W3O tracks will always be welcome...

G'Kyl
15th February 2005, 07:42 AM
You're rigth about electricity and stuff. :) But I doubt the majority of players will be asking for a Pure SE... ;)

For SURE racing contenders better than the AI will keep you on edge not for 5-10 lap but even 20 and more
Thats what drives Schumacher, Rossi, Ernhart Jr and so on in Real life >> the Competition

Yep, but they do take a deep breath on the straights, because you need to relex just shortly in longer races. In Wipeout you couldn't do that, which is why I believe long races in WO were a bit too tense after a while. Although I just realized, I was only thinking Phantom class. It might actually be cool to be racing for a while in Vector or Venom.

Ben

yawnstretch
15th February 2005, 10:12 AM
As regards music, you can fit everything from the previous Wipeout games on a 512Mb memory stick, even at pretty high quality. Since we already know that your standard Pure release will support custom soundtracks done in this way, I just don't see it as an issue.

However, more W3O tracks will always be welcome...

Custom soundtracks are definitely confirmed??? That's fantastic - but where'd we see that info?

Chill
15th February 2005, 03:49 PM
. he's saying that a survival contest would be boring; that's why he would lose concentration. some people don't have the Le Mans mentality.
--
All I'm saying is to at least include it, while keeping smaller rounds as well. If someone would host a race that would last a long time, simply don't join. At least let their be a choice! :wink:

That's fantastic-but where'd we see that info?
--
Agreed. Where'd we see it, I haven't so far? :roll:

mid
16th February 2005, 07:54 AM
Custom soundtracks are definitely confirmed??? That's fantastic - but where'd we see that info?

I thought it was something said in the interview in this month's Edge. Now I'm not so sure - I'll check tonight.

yawnstretch
16th February 2005, 05:48 PM
Whats the info on wipeout from Edge??? Anyone - anything we havent heard already???

/foams at the mouth 8O

Hellfire_WZ
16th February 2005, 06:32 PM
The interview was with Tony Buckley, Colin Berry and John Machin. There wasn't much said about the game itself, it was more or less asking their thoughts on how well the game engine will translate to the PSP and what they thought of the WiFi capabilities. However, the preview did say "Stripped back from the later games' excesses, Pure promises simpler, starker racing and then sprinkles that promise with a hundred tempting cherries: wireless multiplayer, downloadable tracks, ships, tunes and skins." There was another more in-depth preview in GamerTM, but it didn't really say anything more than we already know. But it does look like music will be one of the downloadable feaures.

zargz
16th February 2005, 06:57 PM
.. But I doubt the majority of players will be asking for a Pure SE... ;) Oh! But I think they will .. They will! :mrgreen:

Yep, but they do take a deep breath on the straights.. only track on SE I can think of with no 'real' straight is phenitia park .. :roll:

..Although I just realized, I was only thinking Phantom class. It might actually be cool to be racing for a while in Vector or Venom. no comments. ;)

Lance
16th February 2005, 07:07 PM
longer races can be good depending on how high the speed is. for instance, in F355 Challenge, the AI opponents are so extremely difficult to stay ahead of that it stays interesting for at least a 25 lap [medium length for F355], but the speed is not so blazingly fast that it wears you out. i think Wipeout may be different, though. the faster classes are just so fast that they would probably burn me out, that i couldn't maintain a high enough level of concentration for more than a few laps

G'Kyl
16th February 2005, 11:06 PM
My thoughts exactely, Lance. It's all about the sheer speed of Wipeout, which is why I think Vector or Venom long distance races would work much better than Rapier or Phantom.
Also, from racing simulations I very much prefer games which depict slower racing series. As long as they offer decent AI, racing is far more challenging than in F1 games, for instance. What really gets me hooked is when racing is not so much about knowing the track, but about being just this tiny little bit faster than the others so you can stay up front.
And just to avoid misunderstandings: Wipeout is SO much about mastering the track and being fast that in this particular case my general preferences are being overruled. :) The latter in turn then is the reason why I prefer the faster classes over the first two.

zargz: It seems you could improve largely on your records then - given that you usually stay on the Wipeout straights as long as, say Schumacher on a straight in Monza or Indy. ;-))

Ben

Thruster2097
16th February 2005, 11:16 PM
Now as we're talking about endurance stuff, I would like to mention I have unlocked the endurance races on GT4.
There are THREE 24hour events that must be completed as part of the game.
I am sorry, but for anyone to sit infront of the TV for 24 hours non-stop is sick. It should not be expected of anyone.

And not to wander entirely off topic, but afaik the whole idea/concept of wipeout in general was to be an arcade experience, not a simulation, therefore max race time at the advanced/professional levels should be 10mins. maximum.

Just a thought.

Dimension
16th February 2005, 11:36 PM
Shouldn't think this lap debate be moved to a different thread? After all there's some point to it, what with an added class meaning that at least one class would be doing 6 laps per race if current class standards were anything to go by, I wonder if maybe we'll be looking at a 3 laps for all classes strategy or similar.

On topic though, it would be very hard to keep up your racing focus for too long in the faster classes, though an endurance Venom race would be good IMO, providing, as was mentioned, the straight on the track in question is long enough to blink on lol

Lance
16th February 2005, 11:52 PM
'' 3 laps for all classes strategy or similar''
this was already discussed in another thread. Colin said that in each class above the slowest, the race is longer than in the class below it

zargz
17th February 2005, 12:27 AM
And not to wander entirely off topic, but afaik the whole idea/concept of wipeout in general was to be an arcade experience, not a simulation, therefore max race time at the advanced/professional levels should be 10mins. maximum.Just a thought. And a good thought it is! ;)
10 min tops is what i mean too! 10 laps x 1min or 15 laps x 40sec.
I think the feeling of 10min inGame = 30-40min inRealLife >> Normal race time! :D
Anyway 10 laps races should be ok and they won't last for 10 min coz average laptimes in 2097 and 3 are around 30, tops 40 sec(TalonsR.->16! 8O ) !
so for the hardcore endurance fans there should be a 15 laps( x40sec=10min ) option but that'd be it! 8)

Dimension
17th February 2005, 01:17 AM
Sorry lance, didn't see that one, I can't catch them all *shrugs*

Lance
17th February 2005, 01:51 AM
'' I can't catch them all''
please tell me that you would not be defeated by Ash Ketchum in a Pokemon battle. :)
hang on a sec, i think i have a JigglyPuff that we can use to beat the little braggart. :D

Dimension
17th February 2005, 03:05 AM
Sorry Lance, I must admit: Ash would own me something wicked :lol:

Chill
17th February 2005, 04:07 PM
*sigh*. U-no, after playing Phantom classes for extremely long times, the race becomes like- second nature. Pritty soon it'd be so easy, you could do it in your sleep! Even at phantom, right? Once you'd accomplish that, you could have tons of fun for about 100 laps. This would also solve the problems of no attention directed when ahead, and would always provide someone by you to race, ya? :D :wink:

G'Kyl
17th February 2005, 07:40 PM
Chill, beating the AI is easy, the real deal are human players determined to not make ANY mistake on track. Try to keep up with them in your sleep - or in the WOZ tables, for that matter. ;-) No, I really believe 10 laps of Phantom can be quite exhausting in multiplayer.

Ben

Chill
18th February 2005, 04:29 AM
:( O-o-o-o-k-k-k-k. I just want it as a selection, if that's alright with you. And if other racers are really great, how you gonna beat 'em in 3 laps?!!! Shouldn't they atleast make indurance races an exception? :? (That A.I. thing is why I really want online play, more competition :twisted: !!!!)

mid
18th February 2005, 10:35 AM
Now as we're talking about endurance stuff, I would like to mention I have unlocked the endurance races on GT4.
There are THREE 24hour events that must be completed as part of the game.
I am sorry, but for anyone to sit infront of the TV for 24 hours non-stop is sick. It should not be expected of anyone.

B-Spec is your friend. Buy a good car, set the AI pushiness to 4/5, leave PS2 on overnight and count your money the following day.

No, I don't know why this is considered 'fun', either.

G'Kyl
18th February 2005, 11:10 AM
Chill: Everything is alright with me, I'm just giving my mind a voice. :) Sure, yeah, I'm all for options, options, options. They tend to make games difficult to pick up, but they give everybody what they want, which is great. I always liked the way UT could be set up to your needs. Sadly, though, racing games usually don't come with a huge amount of options. (And I guess, for the majority of players this is a good thing, as it keeps things more clearly structured.)

Ben

Asayyeah
18th February 2005, 03:11 PM
thing it racade race with AIs -> after max one lap you are the leader and from there on its time trial! this is true in wo1 2097 and 3!! most of the time

Half true : Yes mostly you are first during lap1 even before the first checkpoint, but then it's not Time Trial, only during lap 2, after you can see again other opponents and i can assure you it's a way more difficult to avoid those crafts, and that's the best challenge.

Btw W.PuRe se has got only a sense if you change radically the inside game, and i think the 'going back to the roots' like 2097/xL suits to most of people.
But if you want to ask me what i want for PuRe special Edition i will say: let me connect my Neggy to the psp , and that's all!! :roll:

G'Kyl
18th February 2005, 03:28 PM
Words well spoken, Arnaud. :) Although I do wonder how someone sitting in front of his PSP with a neg in his hands is going to look like. Silly, anyone? ;-)

zargz
18th February 2005, 05:46 PM
pretty much so! :D

aseyeah: I'd better race some Good AI instead of try'n avoiding them! 8)
much better take over nr1 the last lap preferably last few corners! ;)
or what's the thrill ? http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/pjs.gif

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

Dimension
18th February 2005, 06:11 PM
My opinion on this matter: leave the AI simple, they're tough enough to avoid on both your first and second pass at them in SR (mumble mumble "moving chicanes".) IMO tough competition is good for slow racing games because the track is less of an opponent, TT in WO's hard enough to do perfectly, let alone adding a slalom section every couple of laps :lol:

Chill
18th February 2005, 06:20 PM
Off Topic: Zargz, where do you get those face expresions?!!!! Are they pictures of you? They're hilarious! :lol:
--
On Topic: I think that A.I. should be as competitive as possible, so that you know what to expect when you go online. Wipeout Fusion is just way to easy!! I'm afraid I"ve lost all my skill because that's the only Wipeout I've owned for the last 2 years!! :x

zargz
18th February 2005, 07:27 PM
http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/plol.gif LOL !! yeah it's me!
I also think A.I. should be as competitive as possible otherwise we should call the wipEouts for something else but Not Racing games! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/pgr.gif

Asayyeah
18th February 2005, 07:46 PM
how someone sitting in front of his PSP with a neg in his hands is going to look like. Silly, anyone? ;-)
:lol: :lol:
i can live with that but i am surely need to have someone who carry the psp to follow me when i move . :lol: :lol:

Alistair : i'll vote for ' mumble, mumble' moving chicanes :lol:

zargz: I'd better race any real wiper( via wifi) especially when i know them :wink:

Dimension
18th February 2005, 07:59 PM
I'd better race any real wiper( via wifi) especially when i know them :wink:

The question is whether anyone else would even dare take on you :)

Lance
18th February 2005, 09:06 PM
i did. and oh, what happened. gasp! the humanity. the suffering!

Asayyeah
18th February 2005, 09:13 PM
:) :)
i've tried the small analoqique stick on the psp ( with RR) and i can assure you it's not like my Neggy :? not at all.
Besides the shoulder buttons seems to me a bit fragile,weaky, if you see what i mean.
In a tough-wifi- competition it could be problematic, cause i hit quickly like hell my airbrakes, and i am sure i won't change my habits...
I am a bit afraid from any recently videos i've seen, especially the one where a guy twists a bit his psp and the RR UMD take a FLY ( and not in the way i like :P )
Neg-User be careful :!:

So i am not sure to be in the top tables this time!!
Viva la revolution :lol:

Chill
18th February 2005, 09:14 PM
LOL!!!!!! Alright, alright, I'm piss'n my pants watching your facial expresions now!!!! Could you lower it a bit? I'm dying!!!! :lol:
--
I bet a lot of people will be able to beat the crap out of me in Wipeout, so I'll only be suffering on the next online Wipeout! I hope I'll be able to breath within all that air rushing past!!! :D

Dimension
18th February 2005, 10:02 PM
Great Arnaud! Excellent in fact! :P Seriously though, I was thinking about this yesterday and I figured this could be a problem with the neggy guys, having long since ditched the Dual Shocks, the exact mechanics of the D-Pad must be a bit odd for youz to use, maybe there is hope yet for beating the man with the golden NeGcon :D

So indeed...
Viva la revolution :evilgrin

Asayyeah
19th February 2005, 12:48 AM
To relativize your quick hapiness :lol: , i should have informed you that i am actually playing WFusion ( 1 time per week) and only zone mode but not with my 'Dolly Neggy' :oops: !!
I use the analog pad ...ok it's not like the Psp's stick but quite similar in fact...
Could be a good training , i achieved a not bad zone 58 ( area 6) last week

As you can truly think, i will prepare myself not to be ' wipe out ' by other PuRe contenders 8)

i've got some secret trumps 8)

Dimension
19th February 2005, 02:36 AM
My opinion on this matter: leave the AI simple, they're tough enough to avoid on both your first and second pass at them in SR (mumble mumble "moving chicanes".) IMO tough competition is good for slow racing games because the track is less of an opponent, TT in WO's hard enough to do perfectly, let alone adding a slalom section every couple of laps :lol:

I would like to xpand upon this by saying that after racing through the first three leagues of W3O with the Qirex just now that I believe the AI could do with a bit of fine tuning, It is always easy to beat in Vector, always easy to beat in Venom and either easy or almost impossible to beat in Rapier. I say this because in rapier it seems the ships have a tendancy to group together on courses like P-Mar and Stanza and from there bombard you with a dozen missiles and mines, by the time you've come out of the pit another little group's got past you and you basically never get anywhere, if of course you are lucky enough to get past the first 5 or 6 in the first few corners, then it is as easy as 1, 2, 3, but if you leave the AI ships to race by themseves at the front and you'll likely not hit the front until the end of the third or fourth lap. I'm pissed off at the moment since I just finished rapier but I thought I would point this out, a little more skill to the AI and a little less gang banging would go a very long way TBH. Let's hope there's some brainpower in the WOPurE camp :evil:

Edit: Oh and Arnaud, I believe we'll be able to use the D-pad on the PSP for control. "Given the choice, 10 times out of 10, real pilots choose a D-Pad!"

Lance
19th February 2005, 05:02 AM
LOL

neGcon forever, baby!

''twistin' the night away''

G'Kyl
19th February 2005, 06:18 AM
Sounds fun, Lance! :)

Dimension: Exactely, damn the catch-up character of the WO3 AI. I think I even like 2097's "AI on tracks" better than this. Anyway, in case you get just TOO frustrated trying to pass a group of ships, just go autopilot fishing. The AP does a good job at getting you past the other contenders.

Ben

Just what's that look on your face, zargz?! ;)

yawnstretch
19th February 2005, 06:34 AM
Edit: Oh and Arnaud, I believe we'll be able to use the D-pad on the PSP for control. "Given the choice, 10 times out of 10, real pilots choose a D-Pad!"

LOL - DPAD FOREVER!

This is shaping up to be one fine season of racing!

/Practices with the nub on RR expert mode with the air-powered pac-man vehicle 8)

I H :evil: TE Fusion!

zargz
19th February 2005, 09:56 AM
Just what's that look on your face, zargz?! ;) what do ya mean http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/pq.gif ??
a word of warning for all neGcon-wipErs - be carefull 1st time you race on psp!
Don't break it (by twisting) on your 1st corner! :mrgreen:
;)

G'Kyl
19th February 2005, 11:29 AM
Yes, I am already worried about twisting the PSP... ;) Oh, I was speaking so enthusiastically about the autopilot I thought you would never talk to me again. *gg*

zargz
19th February 2005, 11:44 AM
well some of my single race times I did with some 'fishing'! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/huh.gif gulp ..

G'Kyl
19th February 2005, 01:36 PM
Gotcha! ;-)

Same here, by the way. :) Autopilots are fine for sweeping through the masses of single races. I just want to get all gold and don't see the need to try and be at my best for records I could beat with Icaras just any time.

Ben

Salt|Ultra
19th February 2005, 04:03 PM
I believe we'll be able to use the D-pad on the PSP for control. "Given the choice, 10 times out of 10, real pilots choose a D-Pad!"

Wow, I never knew I was a real pilot :) D-Pad all the way.

Shem
19th February 2005, 04:11 PM
I believe we'll be able to use the D-pad on the PSP for control. "Given the choice, 10 times out of 10, real pilots choose a D-Pad!"

Hell yeah! Check my description on the tables, it just speaks for itself (and has nothing to do with NegCon, which I'd probably be using as soon as i got my hands on it :D ) !!

zargz
19th February 2005, 09:50 PM
Keep your eyes on the Arena then 8O
You might be able to get one for free! 8)
.. real soon!

lunar
21st February 2005, 01:07 AM
Words well spoken, Arnaud. :) Although I do wonder how someone sitting in front of his PSP with a neg in his hands is going to look like. Silly, anyone? ;-)

silly, possibly yes..... but once you have a neg-link to the psp all you have to do is point your 16:9 camcorder at the screen of your PSP, line it all up straight with tripods and furniture arrangement, set the scan rate, then feed the video output signal of the camcorder into your TV and you have full screen Wipeout Pure with an external controller. :rock_on

Chill
21st February 2005, 06:01 AM
Oooooh, good idea!!!! :wink: But won't they just have a cord able to blug into the TV?
--
And about the topic... :D
Wipeout SE should take some of the prototype tracks and finish them. It sure would be better (for me, if not someone else). Or perhaps the PSP's will come out with little recording gizmos that'll record your race. Shouldn't the have made somth'n like that that's cheap for the PS2? 8)

Lance
21st February 2005, 12:13 PM
[offtopic]
i'd like to see a game that is all 'Prototype style.

[on topic]
perhaps Pure SE should be just for the PS2

lunar
21st February 2005, 02:02 PM
But won't they just have a cord able to blug into the TV?

I don`t think it does have any form of video out, unless the headphone socket can carry video, which is possible on some Sony equipment, so is possibly possible on the PSP. Maybe a PSP owner can test, but from what I`ve read recently there is no video out.

The PSP does link to the PS2, so it would be cool if it could operate as some kind of "slave" to the PS2, controlled by the PS2 controller and feeding A/V thru it onto a TV. But now I`m probably fantasizing.

perhaps Pure SE should be just for the PS2

in my dreams.... yes. Maybe, once they`ve used Wipeout Pure to sell PSPs, a conversion of Pure to PS2 would be too easy a cash-in for Sony to resist. Just a thought, Mr Sony. :wink:

Sausehuhn
21st February 2005, 02:18 PM
I don't think they will do so. Pure will be a PSP exclusive.

Rapier Racer
21st February 2005, 02:21 PM
.i'd like to see a game that is all 'Prototype style.

Good lord no! For some reason I can’t get my head around the prototype tracks on WO 3 SE, can’t even get around the very first one without hitting a wall at some point, it takes ultra concentration to get round

Lance
21st February 2005, 06:09 PM
i find that the prototype tracks are actually easier to concentrate on. fewer distractions

G'Kyl
21st February 2005, 06:32 PM
Funny that. I only realized much of the detail in any WO after reading about it on somewhere on the net (mostly here, of course). At first I thought about considering myself a bad fan of the games ;), but the truth is more that all I focus on is the racing line and nothing trackside. It's a handy treat, too, because that way turning off details in PC racing games makes graphics run smoother without the game looking less detailed. ;-)

Ben

Chill
21st February 2005, 06:57 PM
For me, effects are very important! I'm the kind of guy who like scenery and weather changes, it adds to the racing effect (in my eyes). I can almost feel the sun, rain, fog, etcetra. I also love seeing how high I am or the type of environment I'm in, it gives me a feeling into the future. That's what I think made Wipeout big, right? A futuristic setting? :wink:

Lance
21st February 2005, 07:07 PM
then you seem to be more into having the feeling of being in a different world than the one we live in instead of being mostly a racer. i find, though that the feeling of racing an anti-grav ship is itself a full indication of being somewhere other than my everyday world, and the abstractness of the prototype tends to multiply that feeling for me because it is not in ANY ordinary world

G'Kyl
21st February 2005, 07:15 PM
I always felt the fast AG racing of Wipeout comes somewhat natural to me. It's simply the next logical thing after mankind will have reached what can be done with wheels on the ground (it's a bit of an overstatement, of course). But I agree, prototype tracks emphasize the pure technical aspect of Wipeout, which somehow feels just "right".

yawnstretch
21st February 2005, 07:26 PM
Well I havent played the neon style tracks yet but pc games with the graphics down to nothing dont entertain me.

The speed and physics of the game are of course essential but I too appreciate a lush environment.

Chill
21st February 2005, 08:11 PM
Well, I couldn't really care less either way. As long as it's Wipeout racing, I'm content. :D 8)

Lance
21st February 2005, 09:46 PM
For me, effects are very important! I'm the kind of guy who like scenery and weather changes, it adds to the racing effect (in my eyes). I can almost feel the sun, rain, fog, etcetra. I also love seeing how high I am or the type of environment I'm in, it gives me a feeling into the future. That's what I think made Wipeout big, right? A futuristic setting? :wink:

then 4 posts later said:
''Well, I couldn't really care less either way. As long as it's Wipeout racing, I'm content.''

you certainly do change opinions quickly. :)

Chill
21st February 2005, 09:56 PM
Well, I started thinking about it, and came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be able to enjoy all that without the race. So all the joy starts with the race, wich means I can like anything in a track, as long as the racing is swell!! :wink: