PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout Ideas

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Airrider
19th January 2006, 05:04 PM
You mean like what they did for F-Zero GX?

Dark Matter #2
19th January 2006, 09:02 PM
sort of, but with more style

Airrider
19th January 2006, 10:04 PM
Gotta agree with you there. Is it just me, or are all the good custom machines in F-Zero GX the ugly ones?

Rouni Kenshin#1
19th January 2006, 10:46 PM
Sounds good but they would have so many dfferent combinations that i would never get good at one ship and just keep jumping around between different parts. If they made it with tones of parts. If they just had a few and forced you to have a ballanced craft so i would never see any one with the zone ship with 5 shields too it might work.

the way i get good at racing games it to pick a ship/car/craft/whatever that fits me pretty well and race only on it so i get really good on it and that usually helps me when i try other ships after mastering one.

Airrider
20th January 2006, 03:22 AM
Point taken, but isn't that what we all tend to do?

username
25th January 2006, 08:24 AM
i think that the way that the ships clang off each other should be re-introduces instead of just scraping each other. i liked the noise it made in wip3out. what do you lot think?

i think that it might bring back that classic feel to the new wipeout to come...

exarkann
25th January 2006, 12:06 PM
^ now that is a good idea.. i did like that while it was abstract(which i loved) w3o did have some important realisim in it, like those sounds.. or the birds(and the bird calls)... or some of the other neo-industry sounds and effects.

Airrider
25th January 2006, 08:12 PM
You mean effects that immerse you in the experience, that kind of thing?
Like you're not just playing, but really there?
...I can see that.

username
26th January 2006, 09:18 AM
i like those kind of things in games, that make it seem real.

btw: when the ships clang and chnk off each other it makes it sound as if there really is an invisible shield protecting the craft. i like the idea of that.

also i the future i would like to see the new wipeout craft bottom out a bit less than in pure! that is really annoying!

AND i would also like to see the way that the ingme music is played in the menu screens like the first three games, the fusionj and pure music in the menues is kind of boaring

Lion
26th January 2006, 12:52 PM
an idea like EA TRAX where you can choose menu/game/both/off for any given piece of music works well

Airrider
26th January 2006, 09:44 PM
They have that to some extent in Pure.

Lion
26th January 2006, 11:42 PM
not really. there's only the one piece played in menus, and the control you have over the music is just on or off for in-game

username
28th January 2006, 07:37 PM
that is right, do you think that it will be re-introduced?

fusionfrenzy
6th February 2006, 02:04 PM
I think it would definitely be a good idea to play in-game music in the menus. As long as the music was decent- although I do enjoy the Pure music now, I think it was bettered by wo3's pumping electronica (Xpander, anyone?) and Fusion's long, epic songs with real feeling (such as the Elite Force song), unlike Naks Acid.

jonestm
15th February 2006, 09:08 PM
a career mode would be good. start off with feisar then as u start to win races bigger teams want to sign you. It should be like an f1 game with pilots names, numbers on ships and ai opponents that remember when u shunt them off and aggressively attack you the next race. I'm sick of racing drones and want a human element to be introduced.

Rapier Racer
20th February 2006, 12:52 PM
I though Pure or Fusion one those two games claimed to have a system like that it said something like if you attack an oppenent you'd better watch your back or something, I might well be getting mixed up with another game here

Asayyeah
14th March 2006, 11:54 AM
I ve made a mistake by posting that in the wrong place . It's about my wishes about multiplayer & next wipeout.

I really hope the wipeout for ps3 will be a revolution for us.
SCEE or SL should Take the time to release a perfect game which reflected perfectly the amazing possibility of the new console of sony.
I am sure the new Wipe will be mainly focused on multiplayer gameplay : which is the source of the fun for 90 % of gamer ( competing with other real opponents through the net ).
Pure ( with the help of Xlink Kai) was a first step & approach to the world of online wipeout gaming : it's really fun ( when it works ) but perfectible . We don't have too many option like creating our own customized tour, or doing a new SR without connecting again ( time lost ). I would like to see elimination mode or others.
The possibility of really playing with at least 8 opponents ( maximum 5 for the psp in ad hoc mode or into kai ), recording our own race into the pc or the HDD of the PS3, having a kind of ranking when you connect to the sony server showing your stats to you and for others ( like the stats we have into pure options), including the klan dimension ( creating one ( like 5 members ) and then meeting other klan and fighting them : like a cooperation mode.

And you fellow wiper what are you wanting for online ?

eLhabib
14th March 2006, 12:40 PM
-online TT record tables, which get updated automatically everytime someone sets a record time
-a good lobby system complete with custom leagues and optional rulesets (like no weapons, number of laps, gamemode options, ship restrictions etc.)
-a rivalry system like that found in burnout revenge
-lag-free gameplay with up to 12 players on track, smooth 60 frames

username
14th March 2006, 04:37 PM
yes i like the idea of lots of players at once and no-slow down. that would rock :) .

lunar
14th March 2006, 07:32 PM
El and Asa: all that is essential. Especially savable replays of online exploits. I can`t wait. :hyper

I had a couple of ideas for new game modes:

- Zone in Pure doesn`t have the smoothness of Fusion`s. It bottoms out too much. The smooth, rushing feeling needs to be put back in, and I think zone should go up a level too and become a multiplayer experience. Technically I guess the PS3 would be up to that. I`d like to see zone mode where you`re simply racing another player on the same track at the same time, but you can see each other`s shield level on your displays. Imagine the tension with you both flashing "energy critical" at zone 50, and you`re both about to blow if you hit a wall once.......

- The TT race mode in Pure is quite a good idea, but could be better. One early mistake could make it uninteresting for the rest of the race. It could get quite lonely on the track, and multiplayer isn`t about being lonely. So I`d like to see a similar mode where the aim is to win the most of, say, 11 laps, whatever number you want. You race the first lap as normal, then at the end of each subsequent lap the ships are always reset to being equal again, a short distance behind the start line, and given a flying start, with one turbo per lap. From lap 2 onwards, both ships approach the start line on autopilot, switching over to manual control as they cross the beam. You alternate the inside line for the first corner after each restart, the aim being to win the lap and score a point. So what you would have is sequence of 11 short mini-races, with perhaps a two second pause between each lap for the autopilot run up to the restart. If you are playing 11 laps, first to 6 wins. Again, coming to 5-5 with one lap to decide could make for some pretty intense action. It would always be close, too, giving the slower player a chance to learn by observing the faster one. You wouldn`t really get this factor in the current TT race mode because the faster racer would be too far ahead for the other guy to see him. I think it could work well. :)

Lion
14th March 2006, 09:03 PM
the zone mode you propose sounds fun, but could be carried further, if it allowed any given number of players, having effectively a last-man-standing competition could get quite thrilling.. whether or not ship contact is possible (or if it's just ghost-like instead) should be a host option for this mode

the timetrial mini-races could be fun for a contest, and would definitely be a good learning tool, but I think the every-lap reset would make it feel too disjointed

Asayyeah
14th March 2006, 09:40 PM
-a rivalry system like that found in burnout revenge

Could you be more precise Martin ? i don't have burnout
An updated record table each time you connect Should be definetely there i agree 100% with you.
I know you have won a 360, i would like to see something online similar as the Xboxlive , with arenas depending on your level/ status or your aim at the game or other factors. How dyou feel about using this Xboxlive ? is there any bad points?

Especially savable replays of online exploits. I can`t wait.
I made 2 years ago replays of infight action from a free FPS pc online called ' Enemy Territory' and i can tell you from this moment i pray to see something similar for Wipeout.
How many Gigas of races we would probably have if kai & Pure let us do this !!

I`d like to see zone mode where you`re simply racing another player on the same track at the same time, but you can see each other`s shield level on your displays. Imagine the tension with you both flashing "energy critical" at zone 50, and you`re both about to blow if you hit a wall once.......

... Or hit your opponent and then loosing energy shield.
Honestly i am not a big fan for adapting zone to online gaming ( personnal taste)
But we have done something quite good last night on kai : we made CLassique 2 pack + zone or medievilship + Phantom speed not in TT but in SR without weapons. I can promise you vic Sleh & me enjoyed it much cause we needed to watch carefully our shield and not barrel rolling too much : it was like a stategical fight : vic using BR on lap 1 , sleh ... depending from his mood, and me always on lap5.
Ok it's not like you described above but i am open minded if this mode exists i will play it for sure ;)

So what you would have is sequence of 11 short mini-races, with perhaps a two second pause between each lap for the autopilot run up to the restart.

I like very much this new concept : anything is finished even if you mess a lap. entertainment guaranted :)

eLhabib
15th March 2006, 06:02 AM
Lunar: I LOVE your TT multiplayer idea!

Arnaud: Burnout Revenge for the 360 uses a system that tracks all the people you have ever taken down in a race (by slamming them into a wall or oncoming traffic), and if you take down some people more often, they become your rivals. So everytime you happen to race against one of your rivals online, the game tells you 'HEY, it's your rival right there, go get him!' and if he took you down often you have to settle the score and achieve other mini-goals. VERY fun.
Overall, I pull my hat for what xbox live has become. It truly is a great system in itself, levelling you with equal players, not only in skill, but also in your approach to gaming, be it competitive or simply for fun. The only problem is, that every game incorporates this system differently, some good, some bad (especially most of the new EA sports games have a terrible online system). But yes, it's great stuff, and I really hope PS3 will have an equal or better online system.

lunar
15th March 2006, 01:52 PM
The multiplayer TT could also work well with up to four players, rotating "grid" positions for each lap. If four players, you have four points for the lap win and three for second and so on..... That could be mayhem on Kai/Online, especially if the shields were recharged to full on each restart, allowing maximum barrel rolls.

I think the zone thing would be more interesting if the idea of special "zone ships" was abandoned and actual ships were used, with a trade-off between shield and manoeuvrability. The key thing about it would be that you should able to see your rival`s shield. The temptation to check their sheild when you`re at a high zone..... but even glancing away from the track to do this could cause you to crash.....

Another game mode that should return is Eliminator. Not sure what format it could take, maybe limited or unlimited races with no possibility of recharging shields.

Sausehuhn
15th March 2006, 07:08 PM
Zone in Pure doesn`t have the smoothness of Fusion`s. It bottoms out too much. The smooth, rushing feeling needs to be put back in...

I think the main point why Pure's zone mode can't beat Fusion's is the handling. As bad as Fusion's handling is (in most opinions), it's nearly perfect for a mode like zone. Don't understand me wrong, I don't want Fusion's handling back in general, really not, but for zone it could be the right choice to make the mode exciting one more time.
I'm also for bringing back the use of the standard tracks for zone mode. This way you don't think "I also wanna fly these tracks on single race mode!" or "it would be cool to fly zone on this and that single player mode track as well!".
Not to mention that the single player tracks do look more detailed.
I like Pure's zone mode style, but sometimes it can be confusing when you can't figure out the real track because of the "whiteness".

Asayyeah
16th March 2006, 01:36 PM
@ Martin : thx for info. In this case it could be really fun having dedicated opponents into a race: the fight will be more intense.
About Xboxlive, 2 friends gave me their opinion and they share yours. Hope Sony like you said think about a similar or even better one.

@ Stephen : great add on for your multiplayer TT , i like it.
About Zone i agree with you : i d rather prefer seing the original ships with their stats onto the regular tracks like Leon said

DB3000GT
18th March 2006, 09:06 AM
My ideas...

1. Story mode - they havnt tried this yet, and it might be fun since all of the teams and pilots have their own quotes and things like that anyway.

2. More music selections - preferably heavy metal.

3. Online racing via LAN line, not annoying Wi-fi.

4. Unlockable mini-game type things. Would be cool to see what other sports are around in that time. Deathmatches, etc. (If your framiliar with F-Zero X for N64, youll remember what im talking about).

5. More then 16 ships, and more intelligent AI.

6. More tracks, as well as downloadable ones like in Pure.

7. Team, and track creator. (This would RULE).

8. Bring back the upgradable ships, this made Fusion a ton of fun.

9. Glitch free Wipeout.

10. Greater Arsenol of weapons.
Nukes, etc.

Thats all i can think of for now...

Lion
18th March 2006, 10:39 AM
3. Online racing via LAN line, not annoying Wi-fi. if the next wipeout is a psp title, wifi is a given. I'd just hope for it to support infrastructure mode AS WELL as ad-hoc.

if it's a ps3 title then lan and online via whatever connection is set in the ps3 system setup. whether it's wired or wireless shouldn't matter

eLhabib
18th March 2006, 12:33 PM
I strongly disagree with points 5, 7, 8, and 10.
12 teams is enough imo, on the narrow, technical tracks the wipEout series is so famous for it would get too crowded otherwise. Don't let it become f-zero (which is not saying that f-zero is bad, just totally different from what wipEout should be).
Team and Track creator can be cool if it's done right, but experience tells that it usually isn't. Plus, it takes some integral knowledge and understanding of wipEout to create a really excellent track, so most editor-based tracks would probably suck. In terms of ship design, I would love to see a decal editor for wipEout, so everyone can customize their ship's paintjob and add logos, but ship design in terms of stats and overall structure is a big no-no imo. Let the guys at SL do it, they are better at it.
Upgradable ships? Oh please no. That always means you'll be flying a crap ship halfway through the game, and that simply would suck.
Greater arsenal of weapons? I'd rather see the arsenal diminished! purE's arsenal is great as it stands, just take out the revcon disruptor and make bombs hurt everyone, and we're good.

Airrider
18th March 2006, 01:12 PM
eLhabib makes some good points.
The grid of 16 from Fusion is just about all I might be able to stand. And not teams of two, but all different teams. Or at least all the teams available.
DB3000GT brought up better AI. PLEASE let that be a reality. AI that wants to beat the other AI ships as much as it wants to beat you makes the racing less predictable and more entertaining.
Upgradable ships I don't get, however. Anybody remember Star Wars: Racer? Okay game, but the constant chore of upgrading was tedious. I don't want to upgrade my AG racer. If I want more speed, I'll move from Rapier to Phantom. I'd rather see teams with a couple models of ship, for example, Piranha Type A that has the really high top speed, and Type B which looks a bit different and, say, handles better.
Ship edit? I dunno. F-Zero GX tried that and while it worked, some of the custom craft looked butt-ugly. Track edit? Depends on who you are. Noobs to the series will end up making goofy-lookin' blobs, while the more experienced will try to make the next Manor Top. It'll change the experience too much from gamer to gamer.
We don't need more weapons, we need improvements on the current arsenal. The Disruptor Bolt doesn't do a damn thing to the AI, and the bombs should affect all ships in the blast. No nukes, no special or team-specific weapons, nothing like that. It'll disrupt the balance of the game.
Story Mode will only work if you do it right. It has to feel Wipeout-y, otherwise it'll just look out of place. I want to see just a natural-seeming flow through one season of the League, almost like a documentary or a skate video, not Pascale Rouser's relationship problems in "As The AG League Turns".

Sausehuhn
18th March 2006, 02:06 PM
you mentioned "if you want speed, use the next speed class".
Imo especially this is a problem. I'm also not for upgrading, but imo even Phantom gets slow after time. Pure for example is now way slow, but it could be faster imo. I know I know "race this and this track and you know what real speed is", I'm saying that was well, but I don't wanna fly just a few special tracks to feel speed. Give us back Fusion's speed or make it even faster.

I'm definitely for something like story mode. And if this isn't included, then give us more background history. I wanna know more about the game itself, so it's also interesting when I'm actually not playing.
"Visitor mode" (was discussed in one thread here) would be the ultimate.

And please bring back pilots, that made the whole thing interesting as well. But if there're again 2 ships per team available, then make the same stats. Not like in Fusion where you had to choose the stupid 2. pilot in multiplayer if you wanted to take the same team as your opponent.

Asayyeah
18th March 2006, 03:21 PM
Very interesting opinions here : great. :)
Db3000gt I highly disagree with you on point 5, 7a, 8 & 10 :
more than 16 ships : Like El said 12 is great not more, aswell in multiplayer game 12 should be the real maximum ( please also limit the heavy weapons in that case ). Even 5 players at same level skill racing Pure on Xlink kai it's already a kickin' arse race i can promise you.
Team creator : to have a fair competition over the net teams must be the same for everyone. But i am agree for a free design creator with logos colors but never change the own stats of the ship.
Bring back the upgradable ships : i hated that from Fusion , they must kept the old speed classes like they are for pure and probably add a 6th speed as a reward for finishing the game : an extremely fast ( ultimate?) speed class for die hard players like most of us who 's crying : ' Bring back our adrenaline speed rush feelin' . In other hand i am pretty ok with airrider's idea about ships type A and type B.
Greater Arsenol of weapons : definitely not. weapons will loose their sense, and i don't want a kind of Heavy FPS racing game. They only need to detail more the current weapons we have for pure by giving amazing visual effects of their impact.

I also disagree ( in a less harsh way than the points above ) on point 1, 3 and 6
Story mode : i don't want a kind of story like that : you are a new young pilot and you enter the AG league and become respected by awarding gold medals and such heroic fact... Please don't do that, never. I am not against reading into the gamebooklet how rules the world in 2297, 100 years after pure's episode.
Online racing via LAN line, not annoying Wi-fi :Wi-fi is great.like Lion said i hope next wipeout will support ad-hoc & infrastructure mode. and working properly & easily with our own pc/broadband system.
More tracks : 28 tracks for pure it's really great , and i am not particularly convinced by adding new tracks for the regular game will give a better interest for the game. On the other hand I am not against a track editor if this one could be as good as it is for Track Mania.

Lion
18th March 2006, 09:23 PM
that idea of a special class after completing the game is an interesting thought...
perhaps a "class" with the speed caps removed, so all the other stats are still relevant and behave like they do on phantom for any given ship, but you can keep accellerating to as fast as you can handle.
could be interesting as it would cause people to start integrating proper throttle control, as opposed to now where it's just on until maybe a particular hairpin needs it to be released for a moment. sort of a zone/tt crossover that can be used in multiplayer with weapons on too?

eLhabib
19th March 2006, 02:00 AM
You just had the greatest idea I have heard so far! Unlimited speed! Exactly that would be it! then the definition 'that's the fastest you can go on this track' gets a whole new meaning!

username
19th March 2006, 07:42 AM
i liked the thrust build-up idea from wipeout 2097 and 3, where you had to build up the thrust meter as the announcer says go.
imo it also adds an affect of realism because of the way that jet engines behave

Sausehuhn
19th March 2006, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure about the "as fast as you can get"-idea, cause you would have to stop acceleration at a special moment and then push the button again so you don't lose the speed again, let it off , push it again, let it off and so on, because there're will be a point where you have to stop going faster, because you could not control it anymore.
I'm not sure if racing is still fun when you've to control the handling and the acceleration by pushing the button in a - for you - perfect rythm.

eLhabib
19th March 2006, 01:38 PM
there are such things as ANALOG buttons. works on the 360 for example with PGR3, so why not with wipEout. If you press the button only half, you only go half as fast - easy as pie.

Asayyeah
19th March 2006, 07:14 PM
I like very much that idea Leon unlimited speed can kikcked arse as well : ill vote for immediately.

Martin's right with analog buttons look at a Neggie for instance ( ok ill never hold down the thrust button but should be cool to adapt that on the controlleur for those who like holding down when too fast :) )

Bring back our old Built-up thrust like username said. 8)

Lion
19th March 2006, 11:12 PM
hopefully the ps3 controlpad will have a pair of proper analogue shoulder buttons like the xbox/360
once you get used to using them for throttle they are awesome for that purpose

Lance
19th March 2006, 11:43 PM
-points out that the Dreamcast had analogue shoulder triggers back in 1999, so why is it taking so long for other manufacturers to get a clue as to how great they are?-

Lion
20th March 2006, 12:42 AM
actually even before that the saturn "3D controller" that came with NiGHTS had analogue triggers.. but that's basically a beta version of the dreamcast controller anyway
edit: looked it up: it came out in 1995

Sausehuhn
20th March 2006, 05:36 PM
@ eL

but even then you would have a prefedined max. speed, so it wouldn't be "as fast as you can".
Do you understand where the problem is?

Mano
20th March 2006, 07:47 PM
Sausehuhn:

That would determine acceleration and not limit max speed. Acceleration determines at what rate speed increases, doesnt determine max speed.

The "problem", (i´d rather call it limitation) is still in the hardware. However, if its powerful it could make the game run at a ridiculous speed, which would surely give impression enough to get the effect Lion is describing.

Since "unlimited speed" is not possible (not with the ps3 or any other console or device invented by man at the moment, that i know of) i think "ridiculous, (seemingly) impossible to control speed" is a more "accurate" term :D

in another description this is sort of a "ultimate zone mode"

My thoughts:

At this point of what hardware can offer us, i think the best improvement on a Wipeout game is on how much can it make us believe this is real, in the sense of making a world where there are a lot of details, (graphics and physics) but with physics controlled just enough to keep it fun; something in the vein of what was shown in the intro of wipeout xl and wipeout but make it even better with the new possibilities new hardware offers. Something akin to mixing the graphical and sound effects (not the music please) detail of a new Gran Turismo with Wipeout XL as a whole, with the physics combined of both in a enviroment controlled enough to keep it fun and controllable at fast speeds. im in favor of keeping the speed classes

i think that is the best thing that can be done to really improve the game and get into a whole new higher quality level, and reach more gamers. i think its a great time for the developers/publishers to make a huge bet/huge investment on the game for many reasons.

*also have to be very careful when/if managing minimalism (since it has been used a lot since WO3) to convey an image in this game and dont confuse it with lack of detail, any lack of detail on a ps3 version could mean murder to the game

Sausehuhn
20th March 2006, 08:33 PM
I see, Mano.

I'm also for a more detailed, believable world. In terms of track/sourrounding design and also in terms of background history.
Fusion is still the most believable WipEout at this point imo, the background infos are amazing.

Regarding graphics I think Studio Liverpool has to go to the next level as well. WipEout had never bad graphics, but imo every time it does not look that realistic compared to other games. That began with Fusion and now with Pure as well.
For example: compare Pure and Ridge Racer. Both games have really good graphics, but Ridge Racer looks more realistic. Maybe it's the use of color (WipEout often uses intensive colors) that makes the game look a bit comic-like (it's really not, just compared to other games) or maybe it's also the wrong use of bitmaps here and there (look at Sebenco Climb - the stone wall on the right at the end of the track really doesn't fit).

Hellfire_WZ
26th March 2006, 07:22 AM
Expanding on Airrider's point a little, I had a thought yesterday based around the upgrade issue. We all have our own favoured stat balance in a certain craft, so how about we have some sort of system that lets you make set alterations the stat balance? Something like third-party workshops that make small changes to the craft and minor alterations to the stat balance to suit the pilot. It could be something incorporated into the craft selection, choose your craft and then choose a refit (if you want) to apply. Maybe as unlockables.

I'm not talking about something as drastic as "pimping my ride", but if you'd like to race in a different craft but for example would like the handling a little heavier or want a little more thrust, it may be an idea.

Airrider
26th March 2006, 07:32 PM
Sooo, you're suggesting packages that alter, not upgrade, the performance of your craft? Not a bad idea. That way, the ships are still balanced when stacked up against one another.

I take it you're talking about such things as larger fins that increase response but cause drag, or fitting the craft with larger yet more cumbersome shield systems. I can understand the logic behind that.

And on your latest point, Sausehuhn, I warn you to tread lightly with that thought. One of WipEout's selling points has been (with the slight exception of Fusion) its unmistakable look and feel. The over-the-top visuals are part of this style.
However, I do agree with you somewhat. Combining the unique visual trademarks of the WipEout franchise with a bit of believability might immerse you a little bit more in the game. While the designs may be uber-futuristic, you have to be comfortable with looking at them.
Which may have been a large reason of why Fusion was so disappointing...

Lion
26th March 2006, 08:51 PM
being able to alter the ship stats by even +/- 1 point in any area can to some extent cancel the reasons for choosing a given craft.
Consider it as applied to pure.
If you chose Qirex, then had your "pilot preference tweaks" applied as -1 speed, +1 thrust - you are now flying a base assegai as far as stats go.
If the same idea were applied to medievil or zone and it's even more interesting; say you did -1 shield, +1 thrust or speed and medievil or zone would have zero shields, and potentially off-the-scale speed or thrust

anyway, my point is that stat shuffling removes team handling/performance identities

eLhabib
26th March 2006, 09:44 PM
I totally agree on that. for the pilot, only the stats are what makes the ships so special, so don't you mess with them! >.<
;)

Lion
27th March 2006, 01:05 AM
initially I thought it was a really cool idea to do minor tweaks like that. in some ways I still do. but the more I think it through the less I think it could work :(
the only things that should follow a pilot around when switching ships are their button config (like on F1 steering wheels) and their name/logo

if the ps3 supports having images in gamer profiles along the lines of xboxlive (and from some screenshots I've seen on joystiq, it looks like it does) then it would be kinda cool to have that reflected on our ships in some way

Hellfire_WZ
27th March 2006, 09:55 AM
That's why I said minor. I'm not talking about altering them to the point of removing their identity, just minor tweaks to suit certain styles of circuit. This is of course assuming the stats are rated on a larger scale than Pure, as obviously this wouldn't work over a five-point scale without drastically changing the way the craft handles.

EDIT: Actually, fair enough. I guess tweaking the stats slightly wouldn't make any significant difference anyway. Ah well, just my imagination having a wild day I guess :)

Airrider
27th March 2006, 08:18 PM
Hmmm...good points, all of you.

MDK9000
2nd April 2006, 05:57 PM
Can't say there was anything in Fusion that I did'nt like - the second/third best game I ever played. Behind the awesom Final Fantasy VII and equal with the mighty PGR2. I completed it all and spent many hours completing hotlaps on the time trials. Graphics are obviously a little dated by todays standards, but what what niggles me most at the moment is that there is no mention of a follow up on the PS3. And how did Wipeout Fusion come into the criticism that it did? For me it was a 9/10 and thouroughly deserved. So much to do. Never got bored of the tracks and the reverse options as they were all so well done, and could be took with such high speeds with the right lines. I just want an update on the PS3 ASAP.:guitar

Sausehuhn
2nd April 2006, 05:59 PM
WipEout Fusion is a really, really good racing game. for me it's one of the best.

But it is nothing like the other WipEout titles. That's the reason why most people don't like it. Not because it's a bad game, but because it's no WipEout like it was meant to be.

MDK9000
2nd April 2006, 06:30 PM
I know what you mean - Wipeout 2097 was one of my favourites aswell. The appeal for this game and the others was that they were very unforgiving and you had to be pretty spot on with you're lines - very technical. Wipeout Fusion on the other hand was more forgiving but more adrenaline fuelled. The possibility to play fast for a longer time on any one race was there and that's why I loved it so much - having said that , I think/hope they will "fuse" the two together and make an ultimate Wipeout for the PS 3. Have you heard anything about a follow up Sausehuhn?:o

Airrider
5th April 2006, 09:16 PM
Now that's a "Fusion" I'd be all over.

username
11th April 2006, 04:44 PM
does anyone know if there deffinetly will be an online game arena on the wipeout for the ps3 for people with an ethernet cable? i have one of these now and am quite interested.

Zerow
23rd April 2006, 10:33 PM
WipEout for PS3 will almost certainly be online, I reckon. Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but these days, racing games which support online play has almost become the norm, so it's a safe bet that PS3 WipEout will not be different from most of the other recent racers.

Sausehuhn
24th April 2006, 05:10 PM
I'm sure online play will be included:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3073

Zerow
24th April 2006, 10:55 PM
So it's confirmed, pretty much. Can't wait!

I'm hoping that we see more of WipEout on PSP as well, preferably more downloads for Pure.

rdmx
5th May 2006, 09:18 AM
If the track editor were to use a g-surfer style editor, then it would be good. i haven't actually played the game myself.

Automaniac
7th May 2006, 04:26 AM
It would be good to create your own team and verse a friend with theirs but none of the team history and pilot stuff just the craft

bakkufu
7th May 2006, 12:42 PM
there was a lot of discussion about teams a while ago where we all submitted designs, I'd still love to see some of what we came up with make it into the game in some form!

Zerow
7th May 2006, 11:06 PM
Creating your very own ship/team would be awesome, although I personally would prefer creating custom tracks/circuits. :D

bakkufu
8th May 2006, 08:38 AM
actually, what happened to the track design that someone was working on? Was it ever finished?

Lion
8th May 2006, 07:19 PM
it was a desert track flythrough that he was working on for uni. don't remember who though, nor do I remember if he finished it

Sausehuhn
8th May 2006, 08:12 PM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2402

bakkufu
8th May 2006, 08:36 PM
aah yes, looking good still!!!!

grr, makes me want to sort out why 3dsmax went nuts and work some more on the GravBlade!

eLhabib
8th May 2006, 11:21 PM
yet another convenient find using the certified Maxx©SearchEngine ;)

Zerow
8th May 2006, 11:42 PM
WOW, that's one of the most tantalising 'what if's I've ever seen!! :D We might be onto something here. If only that track's creator would come back sometime soon.

Lion
9th May 2006, 02:17 AM
hahaha, I knew max would find it for us, it wasn't just laziness, honest ;)

bakkufu
9th May 2006, 07:39 AM
I searched for track and got all the music discussion replies!

Sausehuhn
9th May 2006, 10:42 AM
lol guys, I just knew it was on in the PS3 forum... and this forum just has 2 pages so far xD

but anyway, thanks ;)

Automaniac
15th May 2006, 06:01 AM
there was a lot of discussion about teams a while ago where we all submitted designs, I'd still love to see some of what we came up with make it into the game in some form!
What page, I have a few Ideas of a craft

ShaneNewville
10th June 2006, 07:58 AM
For the PS3's next Wipeout we should be able to use the EyeToy to
take picture of our faces like THUG2 (PS2) did for face mapping.
Onle, instead of on the characters it could be mapped onto the
face of your missles. When you fire them you should have the
option to go into bullet time and crazy camera view of it flying
toward the victim's craft. :hyper

Maybe too complicated during game play, but it beat awesome to
have crazy options like that while viewing the Replay. They could
have all kinds of added easter eggs for Replay videos. Like the
ol' Driver games. Make little movie clips and save them.

Zerow
10th June 2006, 10:56 PM
It would be awesome if the replays had something along those lines. :)

Although I agree that it would be absurd if something like that happened while you were actually racing. :o

ShaneNewville
11th June 2006, 09:07 AM
For real. It'd have to be small enough where it's not in the way for
people who don't want to mess with it and yet a cool feature for those
who are into that sort of thing.

Zerow
11th June 2006, 09:12 PM
Well, mabye it could have a Replay menu which is structured like this:

View Replay - Simply for those who aren't interested in messing around with things and who just want to watch their finest hours.

Replay Editor - You could load up any of your saved replays and manipulate them in various ways, such as how the camera is angled while the ships fly past. And you could of course make the camera do crazy things such as follow a Plasma Bolt you've just fired as it glides up the track ahead of you before obliterating an enemy ship. At that point, you could slow down time for a moment and make the camera do a Bullet-Time rotation around the exploding ship.

I'd be delighted if you could do stuff like that during a replay! :D

Asayyeah
11th June 2006, 10:46 PM
I'll second that zerow :)

Zerow
12th June 2006, 11:12 PM
Here's an idea I've just had, pardon if it's already been suggested:

Anyone who's played Gran Turismo 4 will be aware of it's superb photography modes, that allows you to take photos of your favourite cars in picturesque enviroments, and also take photos while watching a replay to capture a spectacular moment during it such as a duel between yourself and an opponent. There are plenty of tools available as well that makes it highly professional instead of just a basic distraction, and you can use them to turn great photos into magnificent ones. You can even print them if you have the correct equipment!

Imagine something like that in PS3 WipEout. Imagine taking photos of a Feisar positioned upon a cliff overlooking a spectacular canyon. Imaging taking a photo of a Qirex and AG-Systems ship as they shoot neck and neck down the home straight towards the finish line, adding blur effects and altering the brightness of the photo and so forth. Imagine making the photos black and white to add irony to the theme of WipEout. You could then print out your photos, and perhaps share your masterpieces online with other owners of the game and see how their's compare.

And of course, we could hold a competition of some sort on this site to see who is the most gifted with a camera. What d'ya think? :)

q_dmc12
13th June 2006, 03:11 AM
A battle arena like in Mario Kart 64 for N64 - that game was great:p

EDIT: The one [person] with the most eliminations or left surviving would of course win.

Lance
13th June 2006, 07:58 PM
Battle arena? Why don't we just throw in Soul Calibur 5 as a bonus disc? :)
We could let characters use Wipeout weapons. Ashtaroth could have Quake. Nightmare could use the Plasma Bolt. :D

q_dmc12
13th June 2006, 09:14 PM
Woah-woah, woah, That's taking things a little too far. All I suggested was a mario kart-esque battle (maybe "battle" isn't the right word) arena, although knives and spears would be an interesting addition to wipeout - hmm...http://www.jp3d.net/yahoo/images/dont_steal_these_images2/33.gif

EDIT: guess we know which games Lance likes :p

Zerow
13th June 2006, 10:14 PM
A Mario Kart-esque Battle mode? That would be interesting. ;)

*light bulb switches on above head*

New idea! One thing I've realised could be a great addition to the next WipEout is variable weather conditions for each race. The conditions could include Sunny, Raining, Snowing, Foggy/Misty, and so forth. You could set the weather conditions for the race yourself beforehand, or have the computer set the conditions for the race randomly.

q_dmc12
13th June 2006, 10:40 PM
Yeah, kinda like GTA does ..sort of .....Like a dynamic weather or suchhttp://www.jp3d.net/yahoo/images/dont_steal_these_images2/33.gif

Lance
14th June 2006, 02:50 AM
you guys haven't read the early part of this thread, have you? ;)
Variable weather was suggested long ago. On other threads it was suggested before Fusion, IIRC.

One of the arguments against it was that selectable weather [that affects lap times] would be a problem for keeping records. However, even though that complicates things, I would assume that for the official WZ records, everyone would simply pick the condition that produces the fastest laps and races.

q_dmc12
14th June 2006, 03:14 AM
It could be regulated by catagorizing race records based on each weather condition;)

eLhabib
14th June 2006, 05:13 AM
lol tell that to Rob's face and he'll kill you. Seriously. ;)

q_dmc12
14th June 2006, 12:17 PM
Heh, well if he needs help...

Lance
14th June 2006, 04:38 PM
Let's see now: um... extra work per table multiplied by bandwidth per table multiplied by number of weather conditions multiplied by number of racetracks multiplied by number of participants.......

-- ----------------------------------------------------

Let me just reiterate here that I would love to see a game based on the FX-150 era of unofficial racing of old AG ships, between the fall of the Fusion Era league and the reestablishment of the official and hopefully uncorrupt FX-300 racing league of Pure.

infoxicated
14th June 2006, 06:57 PM
Me too.

Lance
14th June 2006, 09:14 PM
^ Bows in the direction of the creator of the FoxX-150 league. ;D ^

Definitely one of your cooler ideas.

Zerow
14th June 2006, 09:25 PM
How about a Speech Bank - just like the thing you get in Worms - regarding the voice that informs you of what weapon you've picked up and which warns you of enemy attacks. You could have accents such as French and Spanish and a Robotic toned one, and you could also decide whether it's a male or female voice.

Again, pardon if this has already been suggested. ;)

q_dmc12
14th June 2006, 09:25 PM
Let me just reiterate here that I would love to see a game based on the FX-150 era of unofficial racing of old AG ships, between the fall of the Fusion Era league and the reestablishment of the official and hopefully uncorrupt FX-300 racing league of Pure.
Huh? I'm lost (it doesn't take much :p)

How about a Speech Bank - just like the thing you get in Worms - regarding the voice that informs you of what weapon you've picked up and which warns you of enemy attacks. You could have accents such as French and Spanish and a Robotic toned one, and you could also decide whether it's a male or female voice.
Or add speech files you've made yourself - I made some for worms2, but now we are getting off topic :D

Lance
14th June 2006, 09:40 PM
Huh? I'm lost (it doesn't take much :p)

It's part of the official backstory for Pure, written by our fearless leader infox[x]icated. The AG racing organisation of the Fusion era was corrupt and when this was made public knowledge, the league collapsed and racing ceased. Later, amateurs using old AG ships formed a sort of loose league of their own, racing in a semi-formal type of competition. This was the FX-150 era.

Sausehuhn
15th June 2006, 08:04 PM
Oh damn, Lance, every time someone talks about that era I've that image from th offical Pure website in mind showing police and stuff on a wide track.
Aend then again that reminds me on all the pictures in Pure's art gallery.

Those are so damn beautiful! Aaah, that track with the crossing tracks in that huuuge pipe-like room. Or the track with the angular buildings. Or the one where its raining and people are in the foreground with umbrellas looking at the track where AG-crafts are reflecting in the wet, glossy track.
That are designs I want to see. Big, dark but also modern.

But that is something for the "track invironment ideas" thread...

Zerow
15th June 2006, 09:26 PM
I've had another idea. It probably would not work out right, but here goes anyway:

What do you guys reckon about the idea of endurance racing in the next WipEout? And I don't mean races that are just 10 laps longer than the regular races, I mean races that are 200 to 300 laps long. It could be the WipEout universe's equivilant to the Le Mans 24 Hour or the Indy 500!

q_dmc12
15th June 2006, 11:56 PM
hmm, maybe 50 or 100 but anything over 150 is too long for me and would get repeditive after a while:dizzy

Riccardo Raccis
17th June 2006, 08:37 PM
I've had another idea. It probably would not work out right, but here goes anyway:

What do you guys reckon about the idea of endurance racing in the next WipEout? And I don't mean races that are just 10 laps longer than the regular races, I mean races that are 200 to 300 laps long. It could be the WipEout universe's equivilant to the Le Mans 24 Hour or the Indy 500!

Love the idea! The bigger the better

Again, forgive me if it's been suggested already, but about the music: it would be MOST nice if we could import our mp3's. Or, if not possible, I would love more music packs, possibly going by theme: a jungle one, a heavy metal one... there's pne or two pseudo-metal tracks in one of the music packs that sound just perfect to me.

Other idea, this one for an unlockable team: a customizable one! Just think about it, that would be great as the final unlockable prize of the game. You'd get to choose between, say, three or four ship models designed for this purpose (so that my very own special ship hasn't got the same chassis as Feisar or Auricom) or better still you get a number of chassis elements to graft together. Then you import the textures from your Photoshop (or you choose some pre-made ones), and then you go and assign Speed, Armor, Thrust and Maneuver points from a common poll (so that you can't end up with a 5, 5, 5, 5). Yeah that sounds like a rather lenghty process for the player but it would be the final reward. I mean, I'd spend some time on that 8) I think that could be done rather easily from the programmers' side too, as it's all mostly cosmethics. The customizable team name, of course, would be the easiest part - type and go ;)
And then of course the customized ship would be transferred to the following version of Wipeout that were to run on the same consolle 8)

Whew, that was some delirium. Now - you said the Studio Liverpool guys come and read stuff here RIGHT? :robot

q_dmc12
17th June 2006, 08:52 PM
I think some of the mods may have connections ;)

Zerow
17th June 2006, 08:58 PM
There's a chance that the next WipEout will support custom soundtracks, so you could indeed put your own music into the game.

Riccardo Raccis
17th June 2006, 09:00 PM
There's a chance that the next WipEout will support custom soundtracks, so you could indeed put your own music into the game.

Aye? :hyper Where does that info come from?

Zerow
17th June 2006, 09:02 PM
You mean custom soundtracks? That's not info, just a prediction by me. ;)

Riccardo Raccis
17th June 2006, 09:04 PM
HMMMM... would you predict the customizable ship too?

Please? :robot

Zerow
17th June 2006, 09:06 PM
We certainly couldn't eliminate the possibility. You never know . . . ;)

Riccardo Raccis
17th June 2006, 09:08 PM
If that customizable ship ever surfaces they'd better put my name in the credits you know! ;) :robot

Riccardo Raccis
17th June 2006, 09:54 PM
Another brain burp, which I forgot to add to my other post back in page 35: I really need more team attributes. Speed, Thrust, Shields and Maneuver are good, but in order to make the teams more realistic and varied there are two I would add: Weight and Air Brakes.
Weight would reflect, of course, how much of a, heh, heavyweight a certain team's ship would be. I reckon a Triakis should jump lower than an Icaras - on the other hand, if said Trakis and said Icaras were later to bump into each other there should be good chances for the the Icaras to go Pong and hit the guard-rail while the Triakis keeps on its course ;)
Air Brakes would reflect how effective the air brakes are. I use them brakes a lot and I'd love to, say, see and play through the different approaches of teams either sacrifying air brakes over maneuver or the other way round 8)

Lance
17th June 2006, 11:58 PM
Riccardo Raccis said: ''Other idea, this one for an unlockable team: a customizable one!''

Winning one as a prize for completing the game? I like it. :)

Riccardo Raccis
18th June 2006, 02:34 AM
Riccardo Raccis said: ''Other idea, this one for an unlockable team: a customizable one!''

Winning one as a prize for completing the game? I like it. :)

Aye that's the idea. I think that would be the ultimate Wipeout prize :rock

eLhabib
18th June 2006, 01:06 PM
agreed.

Riccardo Raccis
18th June 2006, 01:43 PM
Okay, who calls Colin? :D

Chill
3rd July 2006, 08:32 PM
That's a very good idea, instead of just giving people tools to make a craft without out hardly any knowledge of the controls and statistics and saying go. But another idea would be points to gain after completing the game, so that you could build that craft broader and better. Possibly from racing online?

Zerow
3rd July 2006, 09:52 PM
One thing I hope SL will fix for the next WipEout is the text that appears across the screen in the menus, giving information regarding the speed class, track, ship etc. Rather than re-materialise across the screen every few seconds like it does in Pure - which annoys the living hell out of me :bomb - it would be far better if it appeared once and then just stayed there untill you move on to the next screen. It would make it easier when reading the info for the first time, and it won't get on your nerves afterwards.

Riccardo Raccis
3rd July 2006, 10:36 PM
That's a very good idea, instead of just giving people tools to make a craft without out hardly any knowledge of the controls and statistics and saying go. But another idea would be points to gain after completing the game, so that you could build that craft broader and better. Possibly from racing online?

ALSO good. What about both rewards? Like the customized team for finishing the game and the bonus points from online racing, to use in online racing?

Zerow
4th July 2006, 07:58 PM
These bonus points you mention, if they were implemented, could also be used as part of a wagering or betting system for online races. Imagine if, when online, you could view others racing as a spectator like in PGR3 - you could place bets with other members of the spectators using the points you've earned by racing yourself, as to the outcome of the race you're currently watching. For example, one of you places a bet for Feisar, another places a bet for Goteki 45, another places a bet for Van Uber etc, and if Goteki 45 won the race, the person who bet on them would win the bet and take all the points put on the line!

SMThomas
5th July 2006, 11:19 AM
I like the points system and the betting - well - it can be acceptable.

How about you can use those points to buy unlockables as well, so that you have a choice of which stuff you can get, either custom parts, small upgrades, unlockables or a big unlockable that you can save points on...

lunar
5th July 2006, 02:45 PM
Maybe I`m too much of purist, but I`m not so sure about this upgrading idea. I think I would rather just know what I`m racing against, ie a Triakis, VanUber etc, because then I know what I`m dealing with and it affects my strategy. I wouldn`t want somebody winning just because they upgraded their ship more than someone else and made it unbeatable, or they changed their attribute points since the last race without telling. The overall effect of upgrading could confuse and spoil genuine competition in time trials and direct races. I also don`t want to race against a ship which is somebody`s idea of a work of art, but which looks like a dog`s dinner to anyone else. It would spoil the "realism" of the racing if gone too far. I fear the pimping and modifying could become more prominent than the racing, so if this is implemented, and I`m not saying it`s a bad idea, it should be within strict and severe limitations and the consequences should be carefully considered, imo :)

eLhabib
5th July 2006, 03:15 PM
I feel exactly the same way about the customization issue. Since sunday, I have been playing A LOT of 'Chromehounds', a mech title on the xbox360, and it features fully customizable mechs with over 1000 parts to choose from. While this is a dream come true for mech fanatics like me, it also has two downsides: 1 - you get to see some REALLY ugly mechs online, and 2 - you NEVER EVER know what you are up against, which makes strategy a real hard deal. While this is great for a team-based mech game, it wouldn't add to the wipEout experience, it would rather destroy it to some extent. That's why customization in the next wipEout, IMHO, shouldn't go further than applying your own, selfmade paintjob.

Dogg Thang
5th July 2006, 07:25 PM
Totally agree. I think it was said way, way, way earlier in this thread but the flaw in racing games that allow improvements to ships is that, more often than not, winning becomes all about getting that next upgrade. Not actually about improving your skill.

Wipeout games in general have been beautifully crafted so that the abilities of the available ships provide an incredibly balanced and fair challenge. I would hate to see that go by embracing an upgrade system.

Cosmetic upgrades, however, would be most welcome.

Lance
5th July 2006, 07:36 PM
I'm a purist. No upgrades.

Zerow
5th July 2006, 10:02 PM
I'm going to have to say no to upgrades as well. As said, it's not going to help you improve your skills, and it feels pretty unfair if someone beats you just because they upgraded their ship untill it's unstoppable.

Asayyeah
5th July 2006, 11:23 PM
i ll second strongly what is said above by part of the heart of the Zone crew :rock
Upgrades may ruin the aim of racing imo
If SL does this mistake, be sure i ll be the one to kick upgrader's arses into future ps3 online. Or you know i am pretty sure we will be able to create our own private arena or a WZ clan with a sticky rule to not use the upgrades.

Mad-Ice
6th July 2006, 05:02 PM
I like it raw! No upgrades, skill is the only thing that count in WipEout.

kit-yun
9th July 2006, 10:16 AM
what one would need for episode PS3 it is for the mode online, various contents (free if possible) to lengthen the lifespan, as for the Pure one, but separately Online I do not see what putting, more musics considering the place on Blu-Ray, the musics of all the opus as of the news that would be good that ^_^

if an old episode had had a online mode, an interaction between 2 games WipEout would have been powerful, but I do not know if that would have been feasible.

lunar
9th July 2006, 10:53 AM
Maybe a good type of unlockable bonus, instead of upgrades, would be classic ships. Imagine being able to unlock the 2097 Qirex for a blast down memory lane, handling like the old ship but not quite as quick as the latest models in the main game. Also not for racing against the "new" ships, maybe for classic races with other greats of the past like the W03 AGS, etc.

Agree Kit, online is the most essential thing, as is one important thing to keep it running smoothly: IMO ships that are a lap behind should be prevented from shooting weapons as they are about to be lapped. In addition to this, lapped ships should be eliminated from the race. Otherwise we are going to see some legendary bs online. We don`t get this on kai, but when we have infrastructure online and we get the general internet public in, it could all go to hell. ;)

Dogg Thang
9th July 2006, 11:16 AM
One of the recurring things here, regardless of whether they are ship upgrades or whatever, is the need for unlockables.

Am I the only one who thinks that unlockables are simply dangled carrots required in games where the gameplay alone is not enough to sustain interest? If the main reason you play through a race is to unlock a certain ship, is that not saying that the race just isn't enough fun?

WO1, 2097, WO3 and Pure - all of these games I play because they are fun games. The challenges of mastering those tracks, mastering the ships, are all I need to keep me playing.

I could be totally alone on this but I don't see the need for unlockables unless the game just isn't fun.

lunar
9th July 2006, 11:26 AM
I agree with you completely. Personally I don`t care about unlockables in a good game, and I won`t play a game I don`t like no matter how much stuff there is to unlock. Just if we`re going to have unlockables, this might be a good road to go down. But just like in Pro Evo, I don`t bother with the classic teams and extra stuff when the Master League is so great. :)

Distrupto
9th July 2006, 12:41 PM
Has anyone realised that the Beta tracks are unlockables? Don't forget that you have to play the Alpha tour to unlock them in Pure. I wouldn't call that kind of unlockable a dangling carrot. Little unlockables like this are fine, but "big, shiny thing" unlockables are rather like targets to play for. Some people portrayed the Zone in Pure as a "big, shiny thing" unlockable and played Zone only for it. Pure solved that problem by not giving the Zone shields, so that if they decided to take it online and show off their Zone, they'll get whacked. Something like that, I'm fine with, but some unbeatable superfast ship or upgrade that makes everything else non-competitive is your perfect dangling carrot.

Lunar,

I suppose if you put a 2097 Qirex or Wip3out AGs or other classics in as unlockables and make them slower than the modern ships(say a phantom class classic ship is about as fast as a flash class modern ship), it will be good with those who know WO or have played older WO games, but for those new to the series, it will just look useless and a waste of space on the disk.

Task
9th July 2006, 02:08 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that unlockables are simply dangled carrots required in games where the gameplay alone is not enough to sustain interest?

I'll have to admit that there are definitely some games that follow that concept (have you seen the number of unlockable ships in F-Zero?!?), but that is not the purpose of unlockable content!

At a very basic "game design" level, there is often great need for unlockable content.

For instance, have a look at the fantastic WOXL. You've got to agree that the Pirhana absolutely _must_ be unlockable content, not available at all untill you've totally beaten the game. What a great reward though! A ship that you can destroy all your previous records with and really pushes the game to its limits.

In W3O, over half the game was unlockable content! While it seems kind of silly, what if none of it was locked and the game shippped with everything available? The user throws the game in and is bombarded with a wealth of options, 8 craft, 8 tracks, multiple modes of play, where to begin? A player could miss the main game entirely. Present a portion of the content upfront, release it slowly as they progress, and a game that takes a stupidly huge amount of time to fully complete (double it for SE!) is no longer a looming edifice to conquer but instead looks manageble and is constantly rewarding you for achievement. It pushes you on.

Unlockable content is often a necessity of good game design, and when it's done well you might not even notice it.

lunar
9th July 2006, 03:00 PM
I think we`re referring to two distinct meanings of "unlockable content" in this discussion.

There is the unlockable content which is a natural part of the structure of the main game, as described by Task. You have to have this. Perhaps it becomes a problem, sometimes, when in order to progress in the game the emphasis is on unlocking upgrades, or faster cars, rather than working on your skills.

And then there is the type of unlockable content which would be seen as "bonus material", such as classic cars in an F1 game; stuff which is not essential to the main thrust of the game progression. These are just rewards, and while they`re nice you wouldn`t want SL to spend too much time creating this stuff rather than working on making the main game perfect. And no amount of these rewards can make up for a crummy game, which I think is more or less what DT is saying.

:dizzy

bakkufu
9th July 2006, 06:24 PM
If there was some way of designing the "look" and "skin" of the ships, but having some base handling values to choose from, customisation could work. Despite my earlier post on customisation, I'd have to agree that parts and tweaking are really open to abuse unless everyone has the same kit to work with.

Now if I could only blag my airframe into the game lol

Zerow
9th July 2006, 10:07 PM
I like the idea of there being classic ships in the next WipEout very much. Pitting the F9000 Van Uber against the FX300 Assegai would probably yield some very interesting results. :D

There also ought to be a series of classic tracks from previous WipEout's (just like in Pure) to add to the nostalgia, and that could make for some even more intriguing combinations. Imagine taking the F5000 Auricom out for a spin on Mandrashee, or the F9000 Xios on Mega Mall. :rock

I also agree with the belief that they should be kept apart from the brand new league. Perhaps the menu screen could be structured like this:

FX600 League (I don't know of course that the next league shall be the FX600, this is just an example ;))

Classic Leagues

They could make the classic material downloadable (assuming PS3 games support downloads), so WipEout virgins who are perhaps uninterested with the series' past don't have to have them forced into their face. I would definitely download them though!

kit-yun
9th July 2006, 11:58 PM
I forgot a detail and of size, would not be necessary to authorize Asayyeah to play there online, it would be too strong lol ^_^ not I laugh, does that of it would be finally the occasion to play sets, considering which one is two large hairy fans of the series (I wanted to say that our passion does not go back to yesterday lol) and to meet online would be giant, by speaking at the same time like you other good on.

Me moreover it of Pure, 2097 and Wip3Out I adore Fusion, has there less but I super had fun above, very hard like the other episodes, but that made the mark of the series after all, it would have had a mode online that would not have made my joy, considering the online on ps2 they is bad. On ps3 let us hope that that is a little better.

Dominator
10th July 2006, 11:45 PM
Ship upgrades not really my thing, sucked in Fusion as did the whole game, would probably suck in new WO too.
As far as unlockables go i would like to see some of the original circuits as they really looked back then, would look fantastic with next gen graphics. Also would like to see some of the old weapons come back, especially Force Wall, really really cool :D
Sorry for mentioning this again (previous topic) but i really want to see Wuss Wagon in the next WO.

q_dmc12
11th July 2006, 12:43 AM
ahh, the old weapons....machine gun - sweet nostalgia.:rolleyes:

Distrupto
11th July 2006, 03:39 PM
Sorry for mentioning this again (previous topic) but i really want to see Wuss Wagon in the next WO.

There's a pic of Wuss Wagon in the Pure gallery art. I don't like this teleport thing either, but being able to see the wuss wagon or not doesn't really make a big impact on the game, IMO. Nobody complains if they don't see the crane-trucks in an F-1 game.

One thing I'd like is that retired craft don't just explode into absolute nothing. In Pure, the craft explode first into a wreck, then explode again into nothing but dust. What I'd like is for them to explode into wrecks, and then come crashing down onto the track, with burning parts flying off, and you being able to fly over the wreck, still smoldering, laps later. That would let you know who retired in multiple contenders if you were ahead. Also, if you retire, it would be better if you're still in your normal view until you hit the ground. That way you could know whats going on better than the sudden cutscene explosion in Pure.

Sausehuhn
11th July 2006, 08:59 PM
...not to mention that it's a lot more realistic.

Zerow
11th July 2006, 10:34 PM
I'll second that, Sausehuhn.

The wreckage of destroyed competitors can be seen in Star Wars Racer: Revenge, and I have to say that it's a lot more convincing than the veichles exploding into nothingness.

Airrider
11th July 2006, 11:31 PM
Thirded.

q_dmc12
12th July 2006, 12:32 AM
Fourthed:+

bakkufu
12th July 2006, 06:23 PM
you guys already know what I'm gonna say.... lol

Mad-Ice
13th July 2006, 02:27 PM
Agreed then!!! Everybody say 'I'

'I'

The other thing i really would like to see is the addition to add your own skin design to the craft, so you would be able to see yourself in the also added replay theatre, if more people are racing in the same team craft.

Dominator
13th July 2006, 09:22 PM
"I" to those ideas too.
Also would like to see pilots name below the cockpit, as seen on fighter jets, making it easier to identify each pilot. "Dominator" plastered down the side of his beloved Feisar, "very cool"
Hello Bakkufu, havn't seen you around here for a while, hope all is well :)

Zerow
13th July 2006, 10:29 PM
*imagines 'Zerow' printed on the side of a Feisar*

I could be your teammate, Dominator! :D

Although if the printed names were as small as I imagine they would be, it would be extremely hard to make them out unless you're viewing a replay.

Dominator
13th July 2006, 10:51 PM
Quite right there teammate :D, the print would be very small, but still pretty cool, don't you reckon??

Airrider
14th July 2006, 04:21 AM
*thinks of "Airrider" emblazoned on a Piranha ship*
Well, anything's possible with next-gen tech. Hey, you could arrange it any way you like. Think AG Forza Motorsport.

infoxicated
14th July 2006, 09:02 AM
That is a cool idea, actually - I remember playing WTC3 on the PlayStation and it had my name on the rear window of the car. It's a nice touch - to have it under the cockpit window on an AG craft would be pretty cool. :+

bakkufu
14th July 2006, 09:55 AM
I like that idea a lot as well!!! Need for speed style customisation on the colors etc perhaps?

Dominator - I'm still about, but I've been made moderator on more forums and have taken a second job doing web administration for a company I used to work with, and now for! I swing by on my days off when I can lol, but its nice to be thought of!

Sausehuhn
14th July 2006, 09:56 AM
...with different fonts and sizes to choose from :)

bakkufu
14th July 2006, 09:58 AM
we can but hope!!!

The Armored Core series has a simple decal editor included, perhaps things like this could signal the future of customisation for the graphics of ships? Alright there would be some pright pink and green abominations, but having seen the work and effort put in by Zoner's on ship art, I think we could see some breathtaking work in future games!

lunar
14th July 2006, 11:14 AM
I think the idea of putting your name somewhere on the ship is a fab one. But the whole thing should be strictly limited, in colouring, size, design and font.

For someone like me, who`s not in the least bit interested in decorating or designing my own ship any more than that, the fact that the abominations would likely outweigh the well-done designs from decent artists means I can`t support the idea. Even just one abomination would seriously upset me and I don`t want to have to put up with it. I trust SL`s designers and like their work, I don`t really need any more than that. It`s a shame for the clever artists amongst us, but I can`t imagine SL would ever allow any more than minor customization, anyway. :)

Sausehuhn
14th July 2006, 11:59 AM
On the other hand it could be limited to simple colors like white (for dark backgrounds) or black (for bright backgrounds) or something like that. The size should not be from smallest to biggest, just a little difference in the font sizes.
The font selection could be something around 5 different fonts that feature to the WipEout style, not more.
And of course you could NOT place your name everywhere at the ship.

bakkufu
14th July 2006, 02:21 PM
DOH! Why didn't I think of it earlier - savegame profile name shows up as your pilot name in the game stats etc, and as a decal on the cockpit glass!

Zerow
14th July 2006, 10:16 PM
Agreed Sausehuhn, I reckon the colours available should be limited to black for brightly coloured ships like Triakis, and white for darker ships like Qirex and Tigron. I believe there should only be one font available to keep things clean and un-confusing, and indeed, you can ONLY put your name underneath either side of the cockpit.

These rules may be restrictive, but as lunar said, the thought of seeing a ship with it's pilot's name plastered all over it in big, bright yellow font is the stuff of nightmares! :o

Sausehuhn
15th July 2006, 09:10 AM
The biggest problem are people who enter various stupid words as their player names so they show up on the ship.
I like bakkufu's idea with taking the decal information out of the player name so nobody enters those words, but in the end it doesn't change anything because you can change your name and the result is the same.

having the decal on the cockpit glass is a bit unuseful as long as the game doesn't feature a (savable) replay cause otherwise you would never see it.
In the race itself the name must be somewhere else you can actually notice it, but on the other hand you would just see it when you are veeery close to the ship.
So it would be better keeping the "name shows up over the ship like it does in Pure multiplayer" and taking the decal as a small extra for the replay or just for the cool look when you see your ship coming out of the hangar.

But I'm still not sure if it's worth it because you have idiots who have stupid names everywhere. Even a bad-world-filter wouldn't help that much I think.

Distrupto
15th July 2006, 03:21 PM
Random idea: How about having to unlock this "name on ship cockpit window" thing? Like Livery mode in Pure. And having to probably complete the game to do it.

eLhabib
15th July 2006, 03:33 PM
that would cancel out all the people who are not 'worthy' to design their own craft ;) good idea!

bakkufu
15th July 2006, 07:07 PM
I think for me it would fall into the "omg I never noticed that before" category of attention to detail, if in the track intro or replay, I noticed my name on the cockpit glass!

But also keeping options like that for the true dedicated players would be a nice, simple but rewarding unlock for those that put the time in!

q_dmc12
15th July 2006, 09:30 PM
that would cancel out all the people who are not 'worthy' to design their own craft ;) good idea!
ah, but what 3d environment would you use to design it? A derivative of 3ds or maya perhaps...?

Zerow
15th July 2006, 09:52 PM
I personally cannot stand the 'player name positioned above the ship' thing. I find it very distracting.

An alternative I've thought up would be to have a feature like in PGR3 that allows you to rotate your view so that you are facing the left or right hand side of your ship. So if you're side by side with another ship, you could look round very quickly and check the name of your opponent before turning back just in time to avoid screwing up the next corner.

Distrupto
16th July 2006, 03:53 AM
Wow, that would be pretty hard at Phantom. I'd rather just pass them and try to put a bomb or mines in their face than waste time reading their names and get attacked by someone.

bakkufu
16th July 2006, 10:13 AM
I find looking away from the screen, even on a straight in an F series race gets you shot at or smacked into something lol

Lance
16th July 2006, 02:38 PM
Even looking at the speedometer does that for me. You know how Arnaud is always talking about looking at the speedometer to make sure you're getting the maximum possible speed through every section [even the curves]? I don't seem to be able to take that much attention away from keeping my eyes on the track. Reading the other pilot's name? Not me. :)

I might have time to see my own name as the camera zooms in on my own ship at the start of the race, but that's about it.

Distrupto
16th July 2006, 02:49 PM
There's a speedometer in Pure? That's strange. I've never noticed it or looked at it. I guess Asayyeah needs it with his nose-mounted camera, but if you fly in a chase position, you don't seem to need it, IMO. You can judge if your getting the max possible speed by seeing your ship. The only thing I leave the track to see is the shield, to see if I need to recharge it.

Sausehuhn
16th July 2006, 04:35 PM
Taking about camara views:
Wouldn't it be great if we could make our own view? So you would have a ship and you could turn around the camera behind the ship up and down and zoom in or out and then save that view, select it in the view selection and then use in in the races? That way nobody could say "WipEout 6' view is too far away from the ship" or something like that.
I would really enjoy that because - just for example - I have a few problems with Pure's view and miss a few others (like the nose-view) . Would be cool to make your own one then so that everybody is happy :)

Zerow
16th July 2006, 10:05 PM
Aye Distrupto, there's a speedometer in Pure. It's near the bottom right corner of the screen and measures speed in K.P.H. I prefer speedometers in M.P.H. to be honest, but it's better than nothing.

And Sausehuhn, that's a great idea about custom camera views. It would give us a lot more freedom and let us find the view we're comfortable with the most.

Dominator
19th July 2006, 12:49 AM
Probably been mentioned before but would love to see more crowd interaction, more stands along the race tracks with screaming adoring fans waving the colors of there favorite teams.

q_dmc12
19th July 2006, 04:29 AM
I'd like to see exploding shrapnel fly into the stands and take out a whole section - hmm, may be best for ps3:+

Distrupto
19th July 2006, 12:14 PM
Nope, their are shields several times more powerful than the ones you get in powerups protecting that crowd. If you fire rockets/disruption bolts/plasmas into a crowd, it'll just disappear. I'd like to see weather making more effect in races than in Pure and each track having varying weather conditions. For example, in a thunderstorm, visibility should be much worse and the ships and weapons should throw up sprays of water. That would be a nice detail.

Lance
19th July 2006, 01:29 PM
As mentioned way back, anything that affects the performance of the ship also affects the stability of the racing ''platform'' or ''playing field'' when you're going for record times, so there should be an option, a default setting, for standard conditions under which to compete for world records. For playing just for fun, though, the weather effects would be great.

Asayyeah
19th July 2006, 06:02 PM
I am starting by a brillant one from :

For someone like me, who`s not in the least bit interested in decorating or designing my own ship any more than that, the fact that the abominations would likely outweigh the well-done designs from decent artists means I can`t support the idea.

'I' for that one :)

I am not really disturbed by the 'above tag' of my opponents into KaI, i find that idea very good into a tournament to have a close watch on the one who can be at rank 1 from that tour, and find a way to blast him by any kind of manners.

Just a quick suggestion to change the Tag letters by our real face ( that kind of pic could be stored into our Wipeout memory save ) with a bit of transparency effect that you can set up yourself, i think that should do another strong impact into the immersive feeling of playing with real humans.

I agree with Lance about standart condition for doing records. In other hand if it's possible to race with different kind of weather that should be great ( i like Sinuccit for that brief moment where you can see raindrops on your screen, imo one among the best moment from pure)

ps : watching speedometer on pure gave me the confirmation of feeling that triakis is the best to keep your speed high in bends. there's also a lot more setups that you can study on particular hard section of a track. I may reckon that bloody Pure speedometer is too small to be seen constantly even in TT, but hey just time & practising will give us the solution ;)

Zerow
19th July 2006, 10:31 PM
Aye to the belief that there should be more interaction from the crowd. Seeing flags bearing the logos of the various teams being waved, and seeing a group of pink-clad spectators jump to their feet and cheer when they see Icaras zoom past during a replay would be awesome!

infoxicated
20th July 2006, 09:02 AM
I mentioned crowd reaction in my Environment Ideas (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2563) thread. I'm sick of the same crowd noise loop I hear when I go past a grandstand in racing games. In Madden the crowd reacts to different things, and I'd like to hear those effects in Wipeout.

Sure, the crowd will cheer generally as the ships race past, like they do in regular motor racing. But I also want to hear the crowd roar when I overtake someone past a grandstand - like when Danica Patrick took the lead in the Indy 500 with ten laps to go (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6X8E5sDhfk) and the crowd went insane! :D

Chill
21st July 2006, 02:46 AM
Hey, that's a very very good idea. Like if you were to do a barral roll, or when you dramatically take the lead some way towards the very end like you said, that would feel sooo good. That would increase the excitement dramatically!!

Airrider
21st July 2006, 04:22 PM
It's all about the immersion. That would be so welcome.

bakkufu
21st July 2006, 07:39 PM
You know in Anime's and films featuring sci-fi ships and craft where they "vibrate" as they fly, giving the impression of the engine and downforce struggling against each other to keep the craft even, I'd love to see these kind of effects added, so that you really feel as you come up to speed that your craft really is pushing the boundaries!

Sausehuhn
21st July 2006, 08:40 PM
In Fusion, when you've a race finished there is a camara view sometimes that showes the ship directly from the front, having the same position to the craft all the time. The only thing that moves is the surrounding. That shows exactly what you describe.
I really adds to the speed-feeling.

On the other hand, a ship that flies at high-speed, not shaking and trembling, still looks and feels so light and... don't know how to describe that... it feels so "good".
This feeling just comes up when you fly nearly perfect though.

So that's my opinion. I like booth :)

bakkufu
21st July 2006, 10:00 PM
I just always had it in mind that the domestic AG cars that are seen in the background of races would be the light and well suspended AG's, but the Racing varients are always at the boundaries of the AG tech at the time and as such would be a bit more "rugged"

Zerow
21st July 2006, 10:01 PM
Hmmm, I can see that a feature like that would work particuarly well in Zone mode (assuming the next WipEout will have a Zone mode), giving you an even bigger sensation that you're pushing yourself and your ship way beyond extreme. :dizzy

bakkufu
22nd July 2006, 11:09 AM
When I was working on my ship design - I always had the mental image of that effect as the ship crosses some shallow water over the track, spray going everywhere!

Sausehuhn
22nd July 2006, 11:19 AM
if AG-crafts can't float above water surface they could at least float above shallow water, yes. Would give a nice effect, especially with the PS3's power (look at the fatal inertia trailer to see how good water effects could be like).
There is a very nice image in Pure's art gallery showing a wet track, it must look awesome when water is spraying around there! :)

(It's at the gold medal of Single Race, Manortop, Phatom)

Generally I want more effects that make a more realistic atmosphere. Flying papers, more spectators or people around the track (that are actually acting and not just sitting there doing nothing), water on the track (when its raining), reflecting buildings (and crafts!!), better light effects (in Pure the lighting is very nice, but the track itself doesn't change color by the light; look at Ridge Racer, there it does and it looks a lot better!) and all that stuff :)

Chill
22nd July 2006, 09:18 PM
That picture that you just spoke of is one of a few of my favorites. ;) Yes, Wipeout would do a lot better with more effects. Now that the physics and track designs as well as art design are pretty dam close to the very peak of Wipeout, effects would only maximize everything out of the track's atmosphere. With good engine sound effects as well as natural sounds, if these were set up right, music would only be secondary for me. The first Wipeout had nice wind, Wipeout 3 had more music and track smacking sounds with the thin alloy metal than wind, and Pure has a good mixture of engine, natural and music sounds (though I thought Pure's music was good, it just didn't have much of a feeling as PS1 wipeouts did), but it was still a little cheap, but the designers did an incredible job with what they had and using the full capablilities of what the PSP can really do when their are some good designers and a good game behind it. If the earlier PS1 Wipeouts could be redone (not being exactly the same, of course) a bit on the PS3, not fully, like with the exact music and exact track design, but an extension of them, with great effects, that would be sawweett!! But that's probably not going to happen, no matter what, with what had been done by pure, and having the same designers of that game and it's art, I have no doubts that a Wipeout for the PS3 will be the best game I have ever played in my life, and will most likely be the only one!!!

Sausehuhn
22nd July 2006, 09:36 PM
...and having the same designers of that game and it's art, I have no doubts that a Wipeout for the PS3 will be the best game I have ever played...

Hm... I really like Pure's style, but PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE SAME DESIGN AGAIN!

ahem.

The PS3 is powerful, so please use that. I would like to see huuuge buildings and stuff like that. Like the image I "linked to" in my last post (there're even more I linked to in this thread [was it in this one? oO ], just browse the pages).

And I also would like to see such an atmosphere as shown at the image(s). It mixes old and new very well imo.
...but I said that several times already, so I don't want to delve into that...

Chill
22nd July 2006, 09:42 PM
Hm... I really like Pure's style, but PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE SAME DESIGN AGAIN!

Sorry if it seemed that I said the same design, but I'm sure that designers can move onto something new. Alright, but if not the same designers, some good ones that understand the true feeling of wipeout. Those that designed Wipeout Pure were just really good, and seeing the art that was in the game, it wasn't just directed on the style of pure, it was showing many different possibilities, and if they designed the art, or whoever did, then those than did seem to see other possibilities that just the design of pure. Why stereo-type the designers of pure to just pure anywayz?

Zerow
23rd July 2006, 09:59 PM
I'd really like to see a 'Peace Keeper' mode in the next WipEout, where there are no weapons whatsoever - a race of pure piloting skill. It really could settle the score as to who's the better pilot, I reckon.

Sausehuhn
24th July 2006, 04:27 PM
...but a good pilot also stands out for his right tactical use of weapons :)

Would like to see such a mode, though... in the end we would not even need a special mode, just an option to turn the weapons off (like it was in all games before Pure).
Btw that is available in Pure's multiplayer mode alraedy :)

Dominator
25th July 2006, 12:43 AM
I would like to see a multiplayer teams vs teams type scenario in the next WO, think this would be an awesome addition to the game :)

bakkufu
25th July 2006, 07:17 AM
thats a point, they could do a constructors tournament where you can give orders to your other ship a - la ford street racing?

Asayyeah
25th July 2006, 07:39 PM
I would like to see a multiplayer teams vs teams type scenario in the next WO, think this would be an awesome addition to the game :)

I'll second that at 200%, that should be a great point to organize internet Klan's meeting or why not in real like big LAN party for FPS pc games.
Besides, a team vs team could be a great way to improve our tactical sense of the races. This is always wellcome :coffee

Zerow
25th July 2006, 10:20 PM
Aye, having a constructer's championship alongside a pilot's championship would be really cool. :)

lunar
26th July 2006, 08:35 AM
With the right safeguards this could work well. A way would have to be found to prevent players dropping a lap behind in order to change the race at the front. Weapons, and possibly even the chance of ramming, would have to be disabled, in some way, for slow ships.

Missiles could be programmed to only target enemy ships ahead - but not quakes. This could cause some interesting moral dilemmas. ;) Are we going to start getting "betrayals" in our Wipeout?

Task
26th July 2006, 07:33 PM
The best solution is likely to be, oddly enough, the one that Fusion implemented.

If you get lapped, instant elimination!

So anyone who tries falling back to take on the leader risks being eliminated. They can try that kind of risky maneuver, but a competent 1st place pilot is likely to just get a free elimination from it. 8 )

Of course, it would have to work for non-human players as well, something the Fusion implementation lacked. 8 P

bakkufu
26th July 2006, 07:58 PM
I thought the checkpoint system handled this too? Either way, it would be good fun!

I'd like to see more commentary on Wipeout too - it is a future sport and seeing it presented as such would be a good move!

lunar
26th July 2006, 09:11 PM
Agree, Task. I`d like to see the wuss-bot just pick up the lapped ship and remove him from the fray.

Chill
29th July 2006, 04:12 AM
Wow, that's a good idea. The last time I thought about that idea was a long time ago playing Wipeout 3 on multiplayer, though I just forgot about it and moved on. Well, I was only thinking about what would happen to myself, because I was the one doing it!!! Lol!!!

Dominator
29th July 2006, 06:40 AM
Yet more reasons to bring back good old wuss wagon "Brilliant" :D

Sausehuhn
29th July 2006, 09:44 AM
I would like to see the distance (in seconds) from the next craft (like you can see it in Pure) again.
But not only at the end of a lap but something like 3 times in a lap, like they do in these Formula1-games.
Would like to see the distance to the 1st, the one that is next in front of you and the one that is next behind you.
That can make the game more tactical and brings also realism to it, because WipEout is the Formula1 of the future so it should also have some typical features of that sport :)

Asayyeah
29th July 2006, 11:47 AM
be informed by times that's good, but i don't really want a kind of visual pollution due to too many insert on screen, but why not having all those kind of info on your psp while you are playing on your wipe ps3 ( the connectivity thingy)

Airrider
30th July 2006, 02:58 PM
With the right safeguards this could work well. A way would have to be found to prevent players dropping a lap behind in order to change the race at the front. Weapons, and possibly even the chance of ramming, would have to be disabled, in some way, for slow ships.

Missiles could be programmed to only target enemy ships ahead - but not quakes. This could cause some interesting moral dilemmas. ;) Are we going to start getting "betrayals" in our Wipeout?
Maybe a quake could kick up teammates without damaging them. A quake makes the track ripple like when someone whips a carpet, right? Maybe friendly ships could surf this wave while enemy ships get burned!

Dominator
30th July 2006, 10:42 PM
Excellent!! A friendly ship could go into an automatic shield & auto-pilot mode as it rides the deadly quake wave.

Chill
31st July 2006, 12:57 AM
Well, if you think about it, if it were a reality, why couldn't anyone just ride the wave if some of them could? It just doesn't seem to make much sense to me, you know?

Airrider
31st July 2006, 02:10 PM
Well, if you think about it, if it were a reality, why couldn't anyone just ride the wave if some of them could? It just doesn't seem to make much sense to me, you know?
Maybe they all get thrown forward, the enemies just land really hard...

Lance
31st July 2006, 06:05 PM
Perhaps each team's quake has a secret sub-frequency which is known only to the team and is used in a frequency-cancellation device that is part of the ship's anti-gravity generator?

lunar
31st July 2006, 09:07 PM
I think I really prefer the idea of quakes affecting all ships equally in this scenario, without getting further into sci-fi than the game is already ;). It could lead to some great moments. Your team mate could tell you, on headset perhaps, that he has a shield. You let the quake go, your team mate engages shield, and the quake takes out the guy challenging him for the lead while your shielded team-mate carries on only slightly shaken.

Alternatively, you`re in third place, you team mate is second and a rival is in first with the finish approaching. 1-2-3 is settled. You can take the win yourself, your team won`t be any worse off...... :paperbag Unless you accidentally kill your mate of course :-

Alternatively, if you are accurate enough, you could send a quake which you knew would reach a rival in second place, but not your team mate who was in the lead, and in that take the pressure off him. All that sort of stuff..... :)

Zerow
31st July 2006, 10:32 PM
I haven't heard anything about a headset for PS3. But if there shall be, it would be great if you could indeed communicate with your team mate and employ some in-race tactics as desgribed above.

bakkufu
1st August 2006, 09:33 PM
I am really, really liking the team ideas!!!

Chill
2nd August 2006, 06:41 PM
Yes, the headset adds a large quality with the gameplay idea of flying groups. The quake doesn't seem to work well with groups, but you could get weapons that do work well with groups, like one I remember, the reflecting wall in Wipeout 3. And missiles wouldn't lock onto your team mates...

Zerow
2nd August 2006, 10:49 PM
I've just remembered something. One very neat touch I adored in the Extreme G series is the 'Sonic Boom' that occures each time you break the sound barrier (around 750 M.P.H.) - there's a loud bang, everything around you blurs considerably, and the music and enviromental noise fade away, replaced by a blissful whooshing sound. I'd love to see that touch in the next WipEout.

Airrider
3rd August 2006, 02:18 PM
Now THERE'S a handy form of immersion for ya!

Tetsuofan
4th August 2006, 07:42 PM
If they ever put up pilots again, id like to see a descendant of one of the Tetsuo sisters. Hey im not called Tetsuofan without a good reason. Anyway, that aside id like to see the usual: improved graphics, good controls (not like Fusion), and good music (some new stuff by CoLD SToRAGE would be nice).

Chill
5th August 2006, 01:44 AM
I don't know... I'm just not into the idea of artificial designs of actual characters in the game... Just something like Wipeout pure is nice enough to me... mabye just making your own character with your own pic? That's as far as I go, anything else farther from reality, I'm not really up with... ;)

Airrider
5th August 2006, 05:15 PM
Going from no-name to big name...cool.

Zerow
5th August 2006, 10:39 PM
If you could create your own character and add your own face to him/her, you'd only be able to admire it during a replay, and even then, only if you had the camera zoomed right up at the cockpit. Certainly not during the middle of a race - you ought to be paying attention to the track ahead rather than admiring the fact that it actually looks like it's you at the controls of a Xios ship!

Chill
8th August 2006, 01:59 AM
Lol!!! Ya, but the more the merrier!!! Nah, I wasn't actually thinking of putting the face in the ship to actually look at!!! I mean, look at Wipeout Pure, and all PS1 Wipeouts, I don't see any pilots flying in any of those tinted widowed crafts. But no, it was just to show how far I'd go, not an actual idea!!! Though it wouldn't be that bad....

Livitarium
18th August 2006, 09:14 PM
I hope the futur creator of next wipeout read my post...

My idea, a BIIIIG road only straight line like this -----------------------------

And on this road many obstacle and hole or stone to make an hard party! And of course the "pod" like zone mode have an hight speed! And it accelerate again again to finally have a crazy speed!

The goal? Dodge the obstacle, hole or stone on the road and go the most further, with a point mode to know WHO have the better score :+

ANd why not add a jump with booster to jump over the obstacle. Crazy race no? :+ :+ :+

bakkufu
18th August 2006, 10:07 PM
your idea reminds me of the "Wipeout" Prototype seen in the film "hackers" which has been discussed quite a bit in the past, could be interesting to see something along those lines finally make it to production though...

Zerow
18th August 2006, 10:44 PM
Nice idea, Livitarium. It could further feed my obsession with Zone mode, for sure. :D

Asayyeah
19th August 2006, 12:12 PM
We talked about that through msn together , and yes this could be a good alternative mode for wipeout. Very nice idea again :+

Riccardo Raccis
20th August 2006, 12:26 AM
I really think the races end too quick. Don't get me wrong, I love the speed, speed is not the point. But how many ships have you aver seen destroyed in a single race? A maximum of one or two right? I'd love to be able to build a strategy based on destroying my opponents instead of outrunning them. That is, using the weapons as a tool of destruction rather than just a mean to slow down. That could translate into more powerful weapons or, much better, longer tracks or, say, races of 10 laps or so. C'mon, I wanna play the bad guy!

:hyper

Also, what about a new power-up: the SUPER TURBO. This thingie works just like the Turbo, only propels you with, say, twice or thrice the power while disabling any control of the ship for the duration of the effect. You become a bullet going in a straight line. Only for straight sections of course, or when you know where to ricochet :banzai

Throw in the power to knock other ships away quake-style while in Super Turbo and that repays you a lot of the only-straight-line disadvantage.

Yay :rock

Dominator
20th August 2006, 01:07 AM
I really think the races end too quick. Don't get me wrong, I love the speed, speed is not the point. But how many ships have you aver seen destroyed in a single race? A maximum of one or two right? I'd love to be able to build a strategy based on destroying my opponents instead of outrunning them. That is, using the weapons as a tool of destruction rather than just a mean to slow down. That could translate into more powerful weapons or, much better, longer tracks or, say, races of 10 laps or so. C'mon, I wanna play the bad guy!

:hyper

:o
Actually speed is the point, that's what wipEout is all about, speed and perfecting the perfect racing line, no other racing game really compares imo!!
If you really want utter mayhem and destruction you should probably play WO Fusion, destruction or oblivion should have been it's middle name :frown:

Riccardo Raccis
20th August 2006, 01:17 AM
Oops. Sure speed is the point in Wipeout. Din't mean to say it's not. What I wanted to say is that I'd like both the speed AND more chances to kill :robot

bakkufu
20th August 2006, 12:26 PM
I think I know what he is getting at, races are over in matter of minutes whereas racing sports usually run over a much longer series of laps. I can see from a game point why the 5 lap limit, but I would like the opportunity for longer races over maybe say, 4-8 laps or something like that.

I think the overall feel we are going for here, is a sense of a team based, championship of races that are prepared for, anticipated by the crowds and are the spectacle of AG racing that they should be, whereas at the moment if I bought tickets for an AG race ( theorising here, cant actually get them - Damn ) that lasted under 10 minutes, I'd be a tad miffed!

Chill
21st August 2006, 01:04 AM
Good point bakkufu, but I'm sure that if tickets are bought, that meant the whole tournament to be watched, though it is very short!!! For games like pure, the tracks are really short, so the number of laps should be increased, where-areas of Wipeout fusion level 3 tracks or possibly the next Wipeout for PS3, the tracks are probably larger, so a less quantity of laps should be acceptable. This very idea is why I loved elimination mode on Wipeout 3, I'd always play it on 99, ohhh!!! What fun I thought I was having!!!

bakkufu
21st August 2006, 12:39 PM
Well the F series racing league has always been billed as the future sport in the backstory of the games, so having their basis firmly in the realistic isnt too far off. More, or longer laps would be great, and I for one would love to see more features that make the game more believable as a future sport.

The old PS1 formula one game had a good shot at this with having all of the in race markers, advertising etc exactly as it was on the tracks, perhaps moves along this vein - even going so far as to simulate a tv broadcast with adverts for the loading screen, followed by track into etc, would be a step in the direction of immersion that I have always wanted to see. For some it would be too much, but I like being immersed, I like having all this extra information.

Zerow
21st August 2006, 10:19 PM
I agree with the above comments 800%. I'm fed up with the 'kiddies go-kart circuit' nature of the tracks in WipEout games, in terms of their length. It feels as though the race is over before you've finished reading the program or eating your ice cream! :dizzy What a rip-off! :pirate

I want tracks that, even in Phantom class, take at least a minute to complete a lap of. It would widen the length of the race, making it more of a spectacle for the crowd, and if you perform a stunner of a lap, it would feel far more of an achievement*.

* - This is based on my personal experience. Whenever I'm on something like Forza Motorsport, doing a blinder of a lap on the 13 mile Nurburgring feels far more like I've achieved something incredible than on a much shorter track like Silverstone.

Airrider
22nd August 2006, 03:25 PM
Very true. The WipEout franchise began as Sony's rebuttal to Mario Kart, but it's time for the series to totally develop and distance itself from its competitive-with-Mario-Kart nature. WipEout...it's time to grow up.

bakkufu
22nd August 2006, 03:31 PM
It's one hell of a rebuttal lol, but you are correct. If a lot of the ideas from thee very pages were even considered for the next title, I'd be well chuffed, as it seems a lot of people here have the same idea where they'd like to see the series heading.

As for the series growing up - perhaps some play on words would be good for the name of the next title? I was hoping to have some witty suggestion, but I can't think of anything.

Sorry

GRR!!! I don't know why but every post I make from my laptop comes up twice - any suggestions appreciated over PM!

Dominator
22nd August 2006, 10:34 PM
Yeah bigger laps would be appreciated :+
I would also like the option to choose how many laps i'd like to race, how many AI i'd like to race and which AI i want to race, thereby i dont have to see the likes of Medievil, Puma & the Omega crafts which seem to be generated each race a hell of alot more than some of the original teams :turd
And yes i know i can delete the Omega ships, i dont want to, i'd just rather winge about them if thats ok ;)

Zerow
22nd August 2006, 10:45 PM
Incidentally, much, MUCH longer tracks is the one thing that I want to see more than anything else in the next WipEout - online play and the re-introduction of Fusion-esque track features second and third respectively. It would indeed make the series feel far more 'grown-up' than if Auricom and friends continued racing around what feels like the back garden pond.

If a lot of people around here agree with what's been said on this page, then we probably stand a darn good chance of making this one of Studio Liverpool's top priorities! :D

bakkufu
22nd August 2006, 11:00 PM
I've always wanted to see tracks in the style of what we have in motorsport currently, I dont get the "feeling" whizzing around most of the tracks that they are the famous keystones of a future sport, like say the nurburgring and silverstone do with formula one.

Btw thanks for the edit, just hope posting this time ( after a browser reinstall ) wont double post!!!

q_dmc12
22nd August 2006, 11:11 PM
Probably said before, if so then it does bare repeating - visual damage as in Fusion (I'm probably one of the few that loved WO: Fusion) but this time the damage should effect the crafts' aerodynamics and slow it down as more damage is incurred to the point where it becomes a fairly easy target. :)

This would be great for a second WO title on PSP, but probably better on PS3.

bakkufu
23rd August 2006, 07:46 AM
PS3 all the way - imagine the visuals :P

Mad-Ice
23rd August 2006, 01:23 PM
I really like the idea of being able to choose how many laps you can race. This will automatically bring back the pitlane. So i am really down with this and of course longer tracks. That´s really what we need. Superb!!

ColdRem'S
25th August 2006, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone!

I introduce myself, I'm French(excuse my English!), I'm 22 and I'm a huge fan of WipEout, like all of you.
I have an idea for a brand new mode for our future WipEout game. I don't know if it's possible, but it would definitely change the way we play the game. Oh, and excuse me if this idea has already been suggested here, but I haven't enough time to read all the pages of this topic. :rolleyes:

So, let me explain:
What about a "simulation mode"?
It would contains:
- two pilots per team, just as in WipEout or WipEout Fusion, with all teams ever seen in a Wipe game,
- 15, 20 tracks( or more, no problem ;-)!
- random weather ( this would be cool even without a sim mode)
The idea is to get closer of what this sport could be if it were real:
- race of at least 20 laps,
- qualifying sessions,
- setup for the ship such as: energy embedded (more energy=better shield but ship slower), adjustable power for the airbrakes, height ship/ground (ship lower=better speed but risk of damage when landing after a jump)
- the ability to choose the weapons we carry. I've thought of a system of compartment with points.For example, the Qirex would have a great compartment of 50 pts, a simple missile would costs 1pt, a quake 5pts, a plasma bolt 7, etc.This feature would add a huge dimension to the strategic part of the race.
- like I mention before, damage on the ship which would concern the airbrakes, the weapons (throwing 1 or 2 rockets instead of 3 depending on the level of damage, idem for a shorter quake,etc.)

To finish, let's say this would perfectly fits with a career mode where the player would begin in Vector class and finish in Phantom.

I know this mode can't be alone in a WipEout game, the perfect arcade game.
But it would be a HUGE secondary mode, like in the 1srt Formula One on the PsOne that contained arcade and sim modes, or more recently GTR on PC. Added with a likely online mode, this would be the perfect Wipe to me. :dizzy

What do you think about it pilots?

lunar
25th August 2006, 02:43 PM
welcome to the site - very nice ideas. ;) I like the way you make the point that, whatever happens, Wipeout must stay true to its roots. This means it should always be a technical arcade racer, aiming for a blissfully speedy experience, with shortish races and a simple, but strategic gameplay. Basically like Pure with a few improvements, imo.

If we could have something like this for arcade/multiplayer, then a single player "sim" mode as you described, it would be perfect :)

bakkufu
25th August 2006, 06:06 PM
I like this plan! Arcade style speed fests that we all know and love, and a sim mode for all our career and tech head wants and desires!

Lance
25th August 2006, 06:11 PM
I wonder how much development time might be required.

bakkufu
25th August 2006, 06:25 PM
probably a lot, but its not as if there would be an ideas shortage, just stop by this thread lol

ColdRem'S
25th August 2006, 06:53 PM
I'm glad you like it guys! :)

Well, any Studio Liverpool dev here? :dizzy

Asayyeah
25th August 2006, 08:48 PM
Having the 'sim' mode as for a reward like finishing arcade and then experimenting a new way of piloting :changing setups adjusting them to particular tracks, long time racing with qualifying grid and so , i really like that.
Not sure a whole game based uniquely on simulation would be a good solution ( in term of sales ), a bit too hard for people who never tried Wipeout games before, imo.

Dominator
25th August 2006, 09:50 PM
What about a "simulation mode"?

- random weather ( this would be cool even without a sim mode)
The idea is to get closer of what this sport could be if it were real:
- race of at least 20 laps,
- qualifying sessions,
- setup for the ship such as: energy embedded (more energy=better shield but ship slower), adjustable power for the airbrakes, height ship/ground (ship lower=better speed but risk of damage when landing after a jump)
- the ability to choose the weapons we carry. I've thought of a system of compartment with points.For example, the Qirex would have a great compartment of 50 pts, a simple missile would costs 1pt, a quake 5pts, a plasma bolt 7, etc.This feature would add a huge dimension to the strategic part of the race.

I know this mode can't be alone in a WipEout game, the perfect arcade game.
But it would be a HUGE secondary mode, like in the 1srt Formula One on the PsOne that contained arcade and sim modes, or more recently GTR on PC. Added with a likely online mode, this would be the perfect Wipe to me. :dizzy

What do you think about it pilots?

:?

I like some of the ideas!!

I have always liked simulators, Formula 1, Flight simulatots etc but i'm unsure as to how well this would work in the universe of wipEout, would this be to much change to a formula that we have all grown to love so much ??

I would love to see random weather.

Qualifying sessions are a must.

I love the idea of choosing weapons, adding dimension to the strategic side of a race.

Visual craft damage is a must, damage affecting the performance of a ship.

Track damage and debris.

I wouldn't want to see an AG craft stats changing option, the stats are what make each team unique and shouldn't be tampered with!!

Of course this is just my opinion guys. :)

q_dmc12
26th August 2006, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't want to see an AG craft stats changing option, the stats are what make each team unique and shouldn't be tampered with!!

Perhaps a 'create your own team' option could be used instead, of course it would allow you to model your own craft somehow (simply) and its own unique stats. ;)

lunar
26th August 2006, 11:52 AM
Dom, I agree, but so long as the "sim" mode was in addition to the basic Wipeout we know and love, I don`t think there would be a problem, but we must at least have the old-style simple game with ships that can`t be tampered with, just switch on and play. The sim mode would certainly add interest to the single player races, which do get a bit stale after a while. :)

Dominator
26th August 2006, 12:09 PM
I just don't want to see another Fusion like effort heading our way, after all that one was all about change as well :turd

q_dmc12
26th August 2006, 12:15 PM
What, I liked fusion - it was different:- :+ :dizzy

Dominator
26th August 2006, 12:21 PM
Sorry dmc, just too many things i didn't like about Fusion, just my opinion though :)

lunar
26th August 2006, 12:26 PM
I agree Dom, that`s what worries me about all the talk of new features too.

Basically the game doesn`t need to change - just some tweaks to the weapons and handling are all that`s required for the basic game. A sim mode would be great if done well, but in Wipeout sometimes less is more. :)

Dominator
26th August 2006, 12:39 PM
Hooray someone who thinks like me. :D
With the PS3 being a next gen console we should get better graphics, more speed, more in depth detail with AG Craft tracks & surrounds, bigger tracks, maybe bring back some old features like Wuss Wagon, Force Wall etc etc, and as i mentioned before maybe a Teams vs Teams type scenario!!
*But why i ask* change the fundamental characteristics of the way wipEout works and always has worked (excluding Fusion) :)

Chill
26th August 2006, 08:56 PM
I agree with dom and lunar. With less changes like random weather or team building, in a Wipeout reality, the pilots probably don't have the choice of what the crafts look like, or what their team colors are, they just fly!!! Who the hell cares about the craft, just enjoy the experience!!! With less attention of these things, you could just improve graphics, physical properties of the craft's handling, music and such. I say in the next Wipeout, have all Wipeout music from the past available!!! Yaiiiya!!!!! That type of weather set for that type of track works with each other, and changing it up would be like adding chocolate with sprite, or some really bad mix!!! M&Ms with spaghetti!!! The mix goes well, like a pasta, and I say leave it be... my opinion, anyway. ;)
And palease!!! Not another Fusion!!! :D It's good enough to play, but I wouldn't waste something like that on what could be on the PS3!!!!!

q_dmc12
26th August 2006, 09:02 PM
Hooray someone who thinks like me. :D
With the PS3 being a next gen console we should get better graphics, more speed, more in depth detail with AG Craft tracks & surrounds, bigger tracks, maybe bring back some old features like Wuss Wagon, Force Wall etc etc, and as i mentioned before maybe a Teams vs Teams type scenario!!
*But why i ask* change the fundamental characteristics of the way wipEout works and always has worked (excluding Fusion) :)

More speed, I like that - something faster than phantom;) OOh:o , like zone but with other players and weapons:hyper

EDIT: The Zoom league

Zerow
2nd September 2006, 11:23 PM
To further peruse the idea of making AG racing feel far more like an actual sport of the future, how about creating a series of national leagues and perhaps international and worldwide, rather than just tournaments with names like Phantom Challenge or Descension. Some motorsports, such as Touring Cars, have a wide selection of individual national championships - e.g. the U.K. has the BTCC, Germany has DTM, and Australia has V8 Supercars - as well as (I believe) international series on a higher level. I just had the feeling that if the next WipEout adopted a similar vein rather than just have tournaments who's names give no sense of reality whatsoever, it would give a greater impression that this IS the future, not just some ultra fast figment of the imagination.