PDA

View Full Version : Question about PSYGNOSIS???

DLC
19th January 2005, 01:30 AM
Hello people.. This is my first message at this forum...

First:
Have to say that this forum is FANTASTIC place.. and I'm glad that I have so much WipEout friends around the world!! Of course, my opinion - that WipEout series are the best futuristic racig games EVER, is 100% sure!!

Second:
Finaly my question... Does enyone knows what heppened to PSYGNOSIS after they released WipEout3 and RollCage2 ??? This thing bothers me past few years, coz Psygnosis was one of the best game developers on the world since time Amiga 500 ruled in computer gaming!!

infoxicated
19th January 2005, 07:23 AM
Psygnosis was acquired by Sony in the late 90's and became an internal studio when the deal was complete.

If you do a search for Psygnosis on this form you'll uncover various parts of the story, including this great post by Jim Bowers (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1041&highlight=psygnosis), and a post by another new member asking exactly the same thing (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=634&highlight=psygnosis).

Mobius
19th January 2005, 01:53 PM
@ DLC

Welcome to the forums mate - i think i can safely say you are our first Serbian member on the zone. Please make yourself at home.

@ Infoxicated at the bottom of this thread
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=634&highlight=psygnosis

why does the member Fiesar have pathetic moron under his name instead of whatever pilot he is?

just curious

infoxicated
19th January 2005, 02:02 PM
Because he became one and was banned.

Rapier Racer
19th January 2005, 02:02 PM
hahaha :D :D I didn't notice that before

Lance
19th January 2005, 02:51 PM
hi DLC, welcome to the Zone; it's good to see someone from your part of the world joining us in our obsession.

----------

hmm.... i seem to recall that there was once a member here from Croatia. that may have been before i joined, though. i never saw him post in the forums

DLC
20th January 2005, 11:59 AM
Thanx very much guys :D I'm glad that your hospitality is reserved for every WipEout fan..

@ infoxicated
Thanx for info mate.. I know that Sony buyed Psygnosis when PlayStation showed up at game scene, but.. I was wondering what heppened in the biggining of 2000-01 coz, Psygnosis was game developer (under that name) 'til then, but when they dissapered (by "they" I mean site www.psygnosis.com and games with their name), I didn't have a clue "what a heck heppened?". Beleve me I was biggist fan, coz all of games they made from Lemmings to RollCage were OUTSTANDING games!!

@ Mobius
Yo, Thanx for greetings man. I will like this place :)

@ Lance
And same to you man! Well I don't know about the whole my country for sure but I think that I'm the gretist WipEout fan in whole Serbia ( and 100% the best WipEout DRIVER 8) )!!

C Ya soon!

G'Kyl
20th January 2005, 12:13 PM
Beleve me I was biggist fan, coz all of games they made from Lemmings to RollCage were OUTSTANDING games!!

Some of their games weren't as playable as they could have been (Microcosm, for instance - probably the biggest hype to that date and followed by only a medicore game), but what I liked about any of their games is that most of them had a distinctive visual style.
And then they had Wipeout and Rollcage, of course... So, count me in in that fanclub of yours. :)

I'm the gretist WipEout fan in whole Serbia ( and 100% the best WipEout DRIVER )!!

Well, go ahead and enter your records in the tables on the main page and see how you do against the rest of the world. Although this can be a rather depressing experience ;-), it also does a good job at waking your spirit for competition.

Ben

yawnstretch
20th January 2005, 05:24 PM
Hey DLC!
I used often to think that I was the best at wipeout in my country too (I wish they had televised wipeout championships!) and who knows maybe we are, but watching videos of people getting track laps of 14 seconds on 2097's Talons Reach (when I was Sure my 17 seconds was as fast as was possible!) makes me think twice about my greatness :D

I think my competitive spirit will be reawakened with Wipeout Pure :twisted:

DLC
22nd January 2005, 09:10 PM
G'Kyl
but what I liked about any of their games is that most of them had a distinctive visual style.
And then they had Wipeout and Rollcage, of course... So, count me in in that fanclub of yours. :)
You're more then welcome!
Maybe you are right about Microcosm.. ans few more games, but just remeber Shadow Of the Beast 1, 2, 3 (A500), for instace.. man those were good days!!

yawnstretch
I think my competitive spirit will be reawakened with Wipeout Pure Twisted Evil
I bet!! And I'm sure we will play them well :)
hehe

G'Kyl
23rd January 2005, 07:25 AM
I gotta admit, I never played any of the Shadow of the Beast games, but from what I've always been told they were among those "great style, little depth" games from Psygnosis. So, now what?! ;-)

piranha wiper
23rd January 2005, 02:09 PM
what i want to know about psygnosis is, how to say it, is the g silent as well the p?

shadow of the beast was wierd i didnt get it, it was like "lets run this way, weeeee! oh dear the wrong way, and now the other way, weeeee!"

er yeah so anyway, why did psygnosis decide to let sony buy them up?

G'Kyl
23rd January 2005, 03:53 PM
I guess business wasn't going so well, so they had to look for a sponsor...

And no, the g is not silent. :)

Lance
23rd January 2005, 03:55 PM
theoretically the correct pronunciation would probably be synosis with a long 'i' sound on the 'y', but Nick Burcombe called the studio ''Psyggy'' as a nickname, so apparently the people who worked there pronounced it with a short 'i' sound for the 'y' and did pronounce the 'g'. [yes i'm aware of the nickname pun. :D ]

SteadVex
3rd February 2005, 10:13 AM
wasn't destruction derby 1 & 2 also by them?

i just dislike how sony bought them and stopped bringing the wipeoutgames to the pc, my fav wa the n64 one, although i could never get it to work multiplayer :( u have to have the american one or something annoying, if wipeout was on the pc i think it would be amazing, could you make new tracks for the 1 & 2?

G'Kyl
3rd February 2005, 12:33 PM
wasn't destruction derby 1 & 2 also by them?

Yep. I never liked them, though. DD2 received some good reviews, but I only got into the whole destruction-race subgenre with Carmageddon. ;) Mostly because DD2 had a driving I wasn't able to get into.

i just dislike how sony bought them and stopped bringing the wipeoutgames to the pc

Yep, I guess Wipeout 1 and 2 for PC didn't sell as well as on Playstation. Couldn't think of any other reason why WO3 didn't make the transfer to Windows. Yet it was Wipeout 3 that made me buy my first PSX, so I guess Sony have some "Mission accomplished!" stamps on their "Wipeout as system seller" list. ;)

if wipeout was on the pc i think it would be amazing, could you make new tracks for the 1 & 2?

As long as there were mod tools or Sony released the source code, I suppose. Which they didn't ;-)

Ben

mid
3rd February 2005, 02:28 PM
Strangely enough, it was Wip3out that made me buy a Playstation, as well.

Psygnosis were great publishers, yes. On the subject of Lemmings, it was developed by DMA, rather than in-house at Liverpool, as were Menace and Blood Money. In case anyone didn't know, DMA have since changed their name to Rockstar North, and make silly money writing the Grand Theft Auto series. Mind you, that's hardly obscure knowledge...

G'Kyl
3rd February 2005, 02:57 PM
I sure didn't know about it. ;) So DMA (the first ever game I bought from my own money was Blood Money!) now does GTA? Very intruiging. I thought they had long been closed or something. Anyway, I always thought GTA was OK, but only for no more than a very few hours.

Ben

mid
3rd February 2005, 03:29 PM
I'm glad to help then :D

It's just I typed all that and suddenly wondered if I was preaching to the converted. I've liked DMA for years, and followed the GTA series back from when they still had DMA on the box.

Lance
3rd February 2005, 05:13 PM
SteadVex said: ''i just dislike how sony bought them and stopped bringing the wipeoutgames to the pc''

according to a seemingly reliable online history of Psygnosis, Sony bought Psyggy in 1993, two years before wipEout ever appeared. if Sony were indeed there from the beginning, it was Sony that decided to put wipEout on the PC in the first place, then changed their minds. i'm sure there must be a public record of the date or dates of purchase in stock exchange records somewhere. details like this can be difficult and time-consuming to pin down, but they are required in order to tell who really is responsible for the decision we either bemoan or cheer.
----------

mid: hi, and welcome to the WipeoutZone. how did you find us? looking for info on Wipeout Pure, or some other way?

Rapier Racer
3rd February 2005, 05:41 PM
I always thought GTA was OK, but only for no more than a very few hours.

really? I once played Viice City from 11pm stight thorugh to about 7am one friday night/saturday morning, I didn't realise how the time was flying by

G'Kyl
3rd February 2005, 09:35 PM
Yeah well, it's fun to do all kinds of stuff, turn up the music and drive through the city. But as soon as it comes to missions, I got pretty much unhooked again by all the previous GTAs. :)

Rapier Racer
3rd February 2005, 10:46 PM
it's the missions that keep me going, if I failed a mission I would keep trying over and over untill it was passed, after all the main missions are complete the game gets tossed aside, something that never happens wth any PS1 wipeout game

Dimension
4th February 2005, 12:38 PM
this is kind of on topic with the start of this post, but what exactly happened to Psygnosis' leeds studio? Are they still around as another bit of SCEE or was it like a move to leeds for a while thing, then back we goto liverpool, kinda thing :?:

infoxicated
4th February 2005, 12:52 PM
The Leeds studio (where Wipeout 3 / SE were made) was closed down shortly after 3SE was completed. Some of the Leeds staff ended up in other studios, some of them went to other companies.

Dimension
4th February 2005, 12:59 PM
cheers, I remember wanting to do my work experience in school at psygy but you know, left it too late, got lazy, ended up in an office :| Considering, I should have really known what happened to them, living here :oops: thanks for that though Infox :wink:

Lance
4th February 2005, 02:49 PM
pity, that. it seems, from the point of view of an outsider, that they should have kept the Leeds team together. they were obviously a talented group, as evidenced by the production of WO3 and WO3SE in such a short time, and by the high quality of the results