PDA

View Full Version : Vanashing Favicons

Rapier Racer
15th December 2004, 05:46 PM
Can anyone tell me why some of my favicons on my IE6 menu disappear from time to time? Does the cache automatically clear itself or something, help!

infoxicated
15th December 2004, 10:09 PM
Yes.

When your cache gets full you will no longer be able to view the source of pages, and the icons will disappear over time.

Rapier Racer
16th December 2004, 10:41 AM
seems a bit stupid to have them at all then, but my temp internet files space is 5000mb is this the same as the cache

xEik
16th December 2004, 11:20 AM
If you want a good advice, get an alternative browser. You'll have less headaches.

I remember favicons disappearing from my favorites entries when I was an IE6 user :oops: . Although probably cache related, revisiting the page or bookmarking it again didn't solve the problem.

Rapier Racer
16th December 2004, 11:40 AM
hmmm what about msn explorer is that any good or does it use the same programming as IE

infoxicated
16th December 2004, 12:06 PM
What do you think?

It's a Microsoft product!

Get Firefox (www.getfirefox.com) and you'll never look back. (well, not until Lance arrives and tells you to get Opera... but since I'm here first I get to promote my favourite browser! ;) )

Lance
16th December 2004, 12:45 PM
ahem

seriously, though, you should check out the WZ topic, ''the browser whores''. among many other things it contains the account of infirefoxicated's one-week trial of Opera 7..... um... 7.5[?], and my latest tryout of FireFox 1.0 with several extensions. he is still using FireFox; i am still using Opera. neither of us is using IE or MSN Explorer for anything other than an occasional code test or laughs.

Rapier Racer
16th December 2004, 01:03 PM
you laugh at IE? well i've heard things about firefox before so i'll download and try that first then ill see about opera

Lance
16th December 2004, 01:13 PM
you didn't hear those things from me, then, or you'd download Opera first. ;)

if and when you do decide to try Opera, get the current official public release. although i'm using the latest test version, 7.60 build 7364c, as my everyday browser, and it is notably better than the current finished public release, 7.54ui, it does have a quirk in a new update check that would require manual editing of an ini file to bypass the check, so i still recommend that you get that 7.54 final

xEik
16th December 2004, 02:11 PM
Internet Explorer is like an aircraft carrier approaching the coast. It has stopped its engines but it's still moving because of its sheer mass.

If web developpers didn't use an already cannonical bunch of workarounds to compensate for its quirks, it would have started crumbling long ago. But they keep doing so because it holds almost 90% (depending on your sources) of the browser market share (if we can actually call it a market).

Dimension
16th December 2004, 02:58 PM
I myself am sick of IE, gonna have a look at firefox, it's gotta be better than m(ick)rosoft's attempt :|

Ahhh, much better!

Get Firefox and you'll never look back

Seems as if that could be true :) Cheers, Infox!

Rapier Racer
16th December 2004, 03:07 PM
I now have all 4 now to decide what one to use

Lance
16th December 2004, 04:57 PM
all four? which four? of what?

------

if you are not already aware of this, take note that many 'browsers' are just modified user interfaces for IE. these include Avant, Maxthon/MyIE2, SlimBrowser, CrazyBrowser, iRider, NeoPlanet, and many others. [i've used all of those except iRider]

the truly independent standalone browsers are few, and most of those cannot be used for serious heavyweight surfing and data collecting and uploading. in practical terms, it comes down to Opera, FireFox/Mozilla/Netscape, and Internet Explorer. be careful of the new Netscape alpha test release as it contains not just the Mozilla Gecko core, but also the IE core for use on sites that require Active-X. this means that while using the IE mode, you would be just as insecure as if you were using IE.

Rapier Racer
16th December 2004, 05:06 PM
all four? which four? of what?

IE6, MSN Explorer, FireFox, Opera I have never even heard of the ones you listed that use the modified IE interfaces

Lance
16th December 2004, 05:44 PM
then you have much to learn in the ways of the Force. great adventure lies ahead of you

Dimension
16th December 2004, 07:44 PM
I noticed a problem with Firefox, I was trying to stream some .rm files into Real media player from 3 beat digital with Firefox and real player just seemed to lock up, works fine with IE though :?

infoxicated
17th December 2004, 11:12 AM
That is odd - I watch all the Real Media on the www.Chargers.com home page several times a week and it never locks up for me. :?

Rapier Racer
28th December 2004, 10:16 PM
does anyone know where I can find the 'uncommon' plugins for firefiox? I can only find the 6 common ones but need more...I'm sure i stumbled accorss them once