PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout Pure screens

infoxicated
14th December 2004, 10:18 PM
I've resized the screens from LUDICROUS SIZE to slightly less ludicrous size, after realising just how long these guys were going to take to download over a dial-up connection.

Hopefully these are still big enough to show the detail without discriminating against those on slower connections.

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/features.php?action=display&id=95

Rapier Racer
14th December 2004, 10:21 PM
those are some very very cool pics indeed! I particularly like that one with the Auricom close up, looks nice does that craft, managed to get those big ones just in time, they'll make good wallpapers

infoxicated
14th December 2004, 10:24 PM
Yes, I agree - good to see a more nimble Auricom as opposed to the flying tank from Fusion. :)

The detail on the ships is incredible - I keep thinking it's a shame they'll be confined to such a small screen. Anyone spot that the air-brakes actually move?

You can see in the picture of the AG Systems craft turning left (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/images/wipeout_pure/originals/woPure%20Screen4.jpg) that the lefthand air-brake is open. :)

Dimension
14th December 2004, 10:33 PM
Cool, nice one getting those screenies Infox, the game looks even neater at ludicrous size! :D

*EDIT* On a side note, i've only just noticed the WipeoutZone logo (being on the pics and all), very cool indeed :oops:

G'Kyl
14th December 2004, 10:34 PM
I never would have spotted that open air-brake, though when I saw that picture this morning (IGN or Gamespot, can't remember) I thought this was the coolest I've seen so far from Pure.
About noone catching the details: I guess it's like with those rare great movies. Directors work on them for years, and all the audience grasps is that the film rocks, but hardly anybody talks about the small things that make them cool in the first place. The thing is though, that if it hadn't been for these details, the movie wouldn't be so good to make at least some guys want to start looking. :)

Ben

Rapier Racer
14th December 2004, 10:37 PM
*EDIT* On a side note, i've only just noticed the WipeoutZone logo (being on the pics and all), very cool indeed :oops:

ah yes the zone logo, Is that not a logo from Wipeout? whys that on there then

Shem
14th December 2004, 10:57 PM
Hey, it really moves!

The other thing - have a look at the middle row of pics. Now, have a look at the 3rd pic counting from up. Look at the neon. The sign says something. Whatever it says, it looks alike the sign painted on the craft on the picture below. The new craft. So it may be a name of a new team. Can anyone decypher that name? To be honest with you, I have no idea what is written there.

Lance
14th December 2004, 11:33 PM
great pics!!

damn! i missed the wallpaper sized ones. woulda been worth the time even to this dial-up user
[although the smaller ones are good quality enough to see detail and get them all in a short time]

Dimension
14th December 2004, 11:59 PM
Looks to me to be summat like E3_8E not sure what that is in the middle but it's likely the team slogan/logo I expect

xEik
15th December 2004, 07:54 AM
Yes, I agree - good to see a more nimble Auricom as opposed to the flying tank from Fusion. :)
I always thought that the Auricom in fusion was, in fact, a Goteki 45 painted in blue. In no way did it represent the values that Auricom had us accustomed to.
In the same way that EG-R represented AG-5Y5 in the game for everyone out there, no matter what the history about G-Tech may say.

I'm also glad that Qirex is back in all its double hull glory.

infoxicated
15th December 2004, 09:07 AM
ah yes the zone logo, Is that not a logo from Wipeout? whys that on there then
To stop theiving gits from taking the pictures and using them elsewhere when I've put the (albeit quick) work into sizing them, creating the thumbs, and storing them on my server.

When I put renders up from Wipeout Fusion some guy from the official Fusion boards that was running his own wipeout site just helped himself to the renders and used them on his own site, despite the fact that they were exclusives to the 'zone. The only way I found out is that he mailed me to ask if I'd add a link to his site to our links page, and when I went to check it out I saw he'd lifted the images straight away.

Rapier Racer
15th December 2004, 01:01 PM
ah yes of course, theres nothing worse than someone thieving your content :evil:

Lance
15th December 2004, 01:48 PM
any chance i could get the 'ludicrous' wallpaper size?

infoxicated
15th December 2004, 01:50 PM
You have to be kidding me... you were the reason I changed the size from 1200 pix wide down to 800 pix! :)

They aren't exactly wallpaper size unless you have a widescreen, though.

xEik
15th December 2004, 01:53 PM
I must note this day as the day when Lance asked for the big images. This doesn't come that frequently. ;)

The problem with PSP screengrabs is that they have a 16:9 ratio. Either you crop them or you'll have black borders. That is unless Lance is using a machine from the hardware manufacturers mentioned in a recent thread. :roll:

EDIT: infoxicated beat me on writing that. :D

Mobius
15th December 2004, 02:09 PM
lol

Mobius
15th December 2004, 02:22 PM
im probably gonna get flamed for posting something this big (51kb) but i dont think were the only ones excited...for those who havent been on ign thay have had this...(soon to be removed when more psp news comes in)

http://odgie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pictures/pure.gif

cool huh?
anyway does anyone know how to make a version of this from the colour shot we have?

Lance
15th December 2004, 02:23 PM
Rob, i appreciate that. on this occasion, the pics are actually worth using as wallpaper if they're as good as they seem to be. ordinarily, though, we don't need such hi-res pics for info purposes. i probably wouldn't download all of the ludicrous-size versions. just one or two.

i'm currently using a widescreen image as wallpaper; i don't mind the border. you can always stow the application icons in the borders, and avoid obscuring the image itself

Rapier Racer
15th December 2004, 02:37 PM
did you get those big pictures yet lance I could pm the ones you want to you but id have to upload them into my web directory then take them off agian once you have them, I dont know if thats allowed though

Lance
15th December 2004, 04:15 PM
i am getting a couple of them.
thanks for your offer, though! :)

Gonaka
15th December 2004, 04:28 PM
love the images! say, id certainly have a stab at makin the current pics like that last one. would ppl be interested in seeing this?

Gonaka
15th December 2004, 10:49 PM
i couldnt wait to get to work on these babies so i worked at them until they were complete :D

we got two pics here:
http://www.geocities.com/mr_gonaka/wipeoutpure_image1.jpg
(based on http://www.wipeoutzone.com/images/wipeout_pure/originals/woPure%20Screen8.jpg )

was the first, i decided to build the image up from scratch in order to get the prototype feel to it, which allowed me to change the featured craft :) the image is based on two screens found in the site

the other is this:
http://www.geocities.com/mr_gonaka/wipeoutpure_image2.jpg

in request to an earlier post ^_^

all in all they took about 2 hours total for both.

Consider these a sort of a christmas present to the site if u like :D

your opinions greatly appreciated! :D

infoxicated
15th December 2004, 10:52 PM
Very swish indeed :)

Gonaka
15th December 2004, 11:00 PM
:D cheers!

Task
16th December 2004, 07:00 AM
On that first image, the chevrons are backwards. The arrows on the edge of the track should point the other way. It's definitely got a great "prototype" feel to it, though!

In the second image, I really like how the trailing ship looks to be "actively turning", the banking on it is great, lends a definite feel of "suspended action" to the scene.

Pretty cool.

Gonaka
16th December 2004, 12:17 PM
heh, i know about the backwards arrows, u see the original pic was an in game shot with the camera behind the craft, but this didnt make for a very interesting image, so i removed the craft and placed more dynamic craft.
I tried to turn the arrows around but the perspective meant that would have to redraw them all again, which i couldnt be bothered doing at the time, i was actually wondering if anyone would notice! lol

Kudos to you Task! :wink:

Dimension
16th December 2004, 03:19 PM
Nice work, very cool indeed :D

G'Kyl
16th December 2004, 06:19 PM
Sweet. Looks great on my desktop. :) Thanks!

Mobius
16th December 2004, 07:46 PM
sweet! u deserve a woo.

Woo!

Gonaka
16th December 2004, 09:29 PM
^_^ thanks! I feel inspired! :D i might get around to doing some wallpaper versions :wink:

xEik
17th December 2004, 07:33 AM
Does any of those screenshots belong to one of the classic tracks?
I don't recognise any, so I assume they are all new but I'm not very good at detecting this kind of similarities.

Mobius
17th December 2004, 03:48 PM
i think there were some of mandrashee?
i hope it was track 3...

AmishRobot
18th December 2004, 12:41 AM
This is really starting to bother me. I simply can't validate buying a PSP for just this game, but with each screenshot, it's really starting to look like it has that magic to it, that was missing from Fusion. Why the hell does this need to be on a handheld?!!? I don't know much about the PSP... for those that have been paying attention, how does the possibility look for an adapter to television displays?

If this was on PS2, I would likely buy a PStwo just for Pure and Rez, but I sooooo hate handhelds! :(

BTW: Gonaka, nice images!

Dimension
18th December 2004, 05:11 AM
why do you hate handhelds? I personally prefer them myself, portable, don't need to tune them on your TV, more handy games to keep about etc. i can't see anything wrong with them :?

I think peeps talked on wipeout zone about a TV adapter but I believe they came to the conclusion that it's not likely, sorry

G'Kyl
18th December 2004, 06:12 AM
Portables don't give you the relaxed atmosphere you get from sitting in your couch and not having to figure out what is what on a tiny screen while also trying to not twist and turn the machine too much. Because if you do you don't see anything at all, not to mention the feeling you could actually break the thing. Plus, there is a battery you have to watch. All in all, portables are OK for what they are, but I agree, they are no equal to TV screen gaming.

Ben

Task
18th December 2004, 04:58 PM
Where you're all going wrong is at the point where you start comparing a handheld gaming system to some roughly equivalent home gaming system. You see, a portable is _never_ going to compare to a console, and the reverse is equally true.
Comparing them is kind of like saying "I don't like apples because they don't taste like the oranges that I've come to love". While the statement is true, it's also ridiculous.

The point of the portable system is that it's, get this... portable! You can take it places with you. Places you'd _never_ be able to take your console. When you're at home, you play your console, because that's what it's made for. You've got your own TV hooked up to it and your library of entertainment right there, it's everything you could need. Only very strange people would suggest that you throw all that away in favour of a 2" screen and very limited title selection. Once you're out on the road, travelling somewhere, suddenly that console is totally useless. And suddenly the portable is everything you need! It's all the gaming you can cram into a small container that will last the entire length of the trip. Then, once you're wherever you're going, if where you are is a really boring place to be, then it's a simple matter of pulling out the AC cord and you're gaming again. It only takes a couple trips to grandmas place before you realize how much you want to be able to go into the back room and beat your highscore for track 4.

The fact that you _can_ compare the PSP to the PS2 (because they're disturbingly similar!) is absolutely amazing. When the monolithic GameBoy came out, did it compare at _all_ to the leading system, the NES? No. Not even slightly. The PSP doesn't _replace_ your PS2, it _augments_ it. Just as the GameCube hooks up to your portable Nintendo system, how long before we see the PSP hooking up to the PS2?

When your PS2 cannot be with you... a PSP will give you comfort in your hour of greatest need.

What's not to like? 8 )

Lance
18th December 2004, 05:12 PM
that Wipeout Pure is not on a console.
the only time i've ever needed a portable was when my power was off due to hurricanes

G'Kyl
18th December 2004, 06:04 PM
You are absolutely right, Task, a portable doesn't try to be a console and shouldn't be compared to one on such terms. However, I do consider where I am going to play its games (mostly at home!) and how much the machine and its games are going to cost me. And when I look at these arguments I know I will have slightly less fun with the PSP as a machine than with a comfortable gamepad in fron of my big screen, and that's that. :)

Ben

Dimension
18th December 2004, 06:48 PM
I personally don't mind at all playing portables at home, it has the advantage that you can find a nice comfy chair, find a nice comfy position and playwithout worry or riving your system to the floor when you move, nowadays protables tend to have a better "instant fun" rating anyway, you can pick up your gameboy, switch it on and instantly you're away with simple gaming, plus it seems more like your gaming experience, what with nobody else getting to see what you're doing and having the ability to link and stuff to other individuals' systems, seems a bit more worthwhile playing on your own. I have to say, honestly I don't care one way or the other between handhelds and the main systems, graphics have never really mattered to me in games so really there's not a lot that the big systems have over the portables IMHO :)

G'Kyl
18th December 2004, 07:50 PM
nowadays protables tend to have a better "instant fun" rating anyway, you can pick up your gameboy, switch it on and instantly you're away with simple gaming

Sounds like Nintendo got their message through to you. ;-)
That's exactely what whatshisname? recently said why their DS will outsell PSP. Laughable. Even though he HAS got a point in that games have become too complicated and people are looking for something less laborious to have fun with. But still, PSP games are surely "instant fun" enough to deliver on that need.
Anyway, sorry for getting carried away.

Ben

Mano
18th December 2004, 08:57 PM
I too wish that Pure, or whatever a wipeout sequel is going to be titled, would be on a console rather than in a handheld, i used to have a GBA, and while it was fun, in the long run i ended up mostly using it when i had to go to the bathroom and sat down :P ( *on a side note, I imagine people thinking that sounds like swoosh, smack, boom, bling!, and fanfarre when you finished a level; are pretty funny to listen outside a bathroom door).

This is because all the reasons you have all mentioned plus:

-when im out, im pretty much doing something else other than videogaming (going to the arcades to challenge someone on King of Fighters doesnt count)
-if i want to play with someone i invite them to my house, or play online
-NO NEGCON........ WHAAATT!??!!?!?!?;)
-games are less inmmersive due to the scale in gaming (not only the graphics)

on the good to have side i would say the mp3 playing capabilities are nice... but im getting a HI-MD for music, it uses 1GB multiwriteable minidiscs (rewriteable up to a million times..heck who can test that??), the minidiscs are cheap compared to memory sticks, compact flash, and the like; and the unit can also be used as an external storage FAT filesystem device for the PC. (the low end model costs about 130 USD)

Anyway, like a lot of things, this preferences are very subjective.

Boils down to this: if had money to spare i would have console and handheld heaven, but if i have to choose (which is my case), i prefer console gaming anyday, right up there with pc gaming

*I do wish the wipeout legacy lives on, and does great on PSP, so then they will think about making the next one in a console, and assign it more resources :D

Rapier Racer
18th December 2004, 11:10 PM
I just had a scary thought, if this Wipeout dosent do well on the PSP they may can it for good! :( oh no nightmares await.

Dimension
18th December 2004, 11:30 PM
Sounds like Nintendo got their message through to you. ;-)
That's exactely what whatshisname? recently said why their DS will outsell PSP.

Who? i don't think that the DS will outsell the PSP, nor do i want it to :|

Sven
19th December 2004, 12:39 AM
I just had a scary thought, if this Wipeout dosent do well on the PSP they may can it for good! :( oh no nightmares await.Wipeout has never been a huge seller, but it's lasted this long. It's a cult classic, and I don't see it dying any time soon.

Thruster2097
19th December 2004, 01:12 AM
WipEout is indeed a cult classic.
However I would disagree with the "never been a huge seller" comment.
Okay, I can see youre point of view, coming from new york in the big ol' US of A, WipEout may not have been a huge seller, infact for a british designed and developed game, the only place I would believe it would have any success would be england and possibly europe. W1 and W2097 enjoyed big sales figures (hence the reason why both of them went platinum) here in the UK, but for some reason, W3out didnt. Not without the want of trying, mind you! It enjoyed the most media attention of any previous wipeout combined, and the first wipEout to have a website (indeed one of the first games ever to have a website!).
But with the really bad sales figures of Fusion, WipEout is very very very lucky to even be alive now, let alone finishing and polishing its next title.
I fully expect that PurE will sell very well, and will consequently be the second-to-last WipEout ever. Possibly the last game will be PS3 bound, which will definatley not be soon. WipEout has always tried to push whatever system it is on to the absolute limit of its technology, sometimes even further. But with the current limits of the PS2 system, you have to ask yourself where the title can go in the next step.

Perhaps I am being a bit too negative.... (yawn) :dizzy
Time to go back to sleep...

AmishRobot
19th December 2004, 04:26 AM
protables tend to have a better "instant fun" rating anyway, you can pick up your gameboy, switch it on and instantly you're away with simple gaming,

One thing I've been noticing lately is that I don't have the time or patience to play involving games anymore. I play less and less as it is, and prefer games that go right into the action, and can be played in 15 minute spurts. Seems like portables have more of these types of games. Plus playing while laying down on my couch sounds nice! :)

oggob
19th December 2004, 07:08 AM
G'Day... if any of you remember me! ;) I'm still alive! :D

Always known about WipEout coming to the PSP, and thought to myself, that would be nifty.

Now, the evidence of screens... I'm now a complete slave to it, I have no real interest and any other games as much as this one and will sleep overnight for a launch version and this game. Just can't wait for some more Pure blinding speed action with this 'sequel'.

March 2004 can simply not come quick enough! :D Bring It On Boys! :D

stin
19th December 2004, 07:17 AM
Yes I would gather that and which I do believe the `Zone` are in Pure but I could be wrong.

Anyway welcome back again if you are posting again ;)

stevie :D

Rapier Racer
19th December 2004, 10:26 AM
WipEout has always tried to push whatever system it is on to the absolute limit of its technology, sometimes even further.

is that why, sometimes when playing Fusion on Florion Height 3 (and possibly others but I've noticed it most here) when your ship goes off the track for that huge fall before the finish line the game sort of slows down a bit, I've also noticed that it happens more if there are a few ships firing weapons whilst falling or just as they land, is this the PS2 not being able to handle the game or just more bad coding

Mobius
19th December 2004, 02:29 PM
March 2004 can simply not come quick enough!

you are being serious?
as far as i know it'll never come...again....

Thruster2097
19th December 2004, 03:07 PM
:lol:
yep, you generally do only get one march 2004.
and that's gone!

Nice one! :P

AmishRobot
19th December 2004, 08:01 PM
March 2004 can simply not come quick enough!

you are being serious?
as far as i know it'll never come...again....

Well... I imagine that after the rapture, when jesus christ comes back to earth to reclaim the true believers, those of us who are left will see fit to reset the calendar again.

:wink: :D

Thruster2097
19th December 2004, 09:49 PM
But that could possibly mean that Sony would push the release date back until march 4008! I would be over 2000 years old and STILL not got a chance to play with a PSP!

I'd better stop it now before it starts to get silly :)

Mobius
20th December 2004, 07:34 PM
yeh, good idea...

i was looking at the screenies and i noticed how long the lap times were...

this is gonna be huge

Sven
20th December 2004, 08:28 PM
Actually, the original Wipeout had lap times similar to that.

RJ O'Connell
28th December 2004, 04:16 PM
Whoa. If I never had an excuse to waste a bunch of time on a portable system during long trips, now I do. O_o Great to see a Wipeout 3-esque game however. (I still never get perfect laps.) -_-

2SU
28th December 2004, 06:47 PM
Was that AG-Systems and something looking very similar to to Assegai flying around in those?

Sausehuhn
10th February 2005, 01:56 PM
4 new screenshots and one artwork at gamekult.com.

screenshots:
>>> http://www.gamekult.com/tout/jeux/fiches/J000068533_screenshots.html?maj=1&typeMedia=150022

artwork:
>>> http://www.gamekult.com/tout/jeux/fiches/J000068533_screenshots.html?maj=1&typeMedia=150003&images=4

zargz
10th February 2005, 02:25 PM
wow! second image! is that an elimination??!! 8O

Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam

Mobius
10th February 2005, 02:28 PM
dunno, it still says 7th of 8 ont he screenie...

is it me or are those screenshots getting smaller?

G'Kyl
10th February 2005, 02:31 PM
Nope, it's the sun setting down beyond the island. ;-))

Seriously though, as far as I can tell from the pictures we have seen so far, Pure looks amazing. It seems to deliver the old qualities of the series within a fresh and good-looking environment. I like that.

Shem
10th February 2005, 03:41 PM
okay okay, the artwork.

Now, knowing that TDR is way away from W'O"Pure, i should be angry/sad/hoping that maybe they would come back. But, the artwork shows that TDR's style has been copied in a way that just makes me warm inside :wink: Okay, to put it in a less complicated way - the artwork is awesome, and makes me forget about TDR. (I think it's because TDR's style is very recognisable, and easy to copy. The artwork is reminiscent of TDR's work, so I think we're not losing much playing W'O"Pure without TDR on board).

Dimension
10th February 2005, 04:04 PM

probably a weapon of a large magnitude, possibly a new one, possibly a plasma bolt going off? single fire rocket maybe? don't think it's an elimination though :wink:

Shem
10th February 2005, 04:17 PM

I think it's a homing missile. The same effect as in W'O"2097. But it might as well be anything else.....

Mobius
10th February 2005, 04:24 PM
i know there is a smartbombe-ish weapon in the game...

i dont know how it works but im hoping it does this:
it is huge i think you drop it and after about 5 seconds...

KAPOWEE!!! instant mechanical jibs await

i think that is the explosion on the screen but i could be wrong

Dimension
10th February 2005, 04:43 PM
Anyone ever told you you've got a colourful imagination Mobius? Cause you really do :wink:

Mobius
10th February 2005, 04:59 PM
cheers but there is some point possible truth in that
Here (http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer_new2.html?title=Wipeout+Pure+Gameplay+Foo tage+4&path=wipeout_psp_ces05_m456.asx&pid=920780&ppath=psp/driving/wipeout&ksubmoid=&urdate=1111651200) is the video i saw the big bomb on. It might just be like the 2097 thunder bomb but seeing the explosion on the other pic makes me think it is more powerful....

Rapier Racer
10th February 2005, 05:42 PM
I think I saw the xplosion you are talking about

zargz
10th February 2005, 06:28 PM
yeh, good idea...
i was looking at the screenies and i noticed how long the lap times were...
this is gonna be hugeCool! back to wo roots! 8)
i really hated the 15-16sec laps :x
Imagine Hockenheim Ring, Silverstone or Laguna Seca with 16 sec lap! :?
the lap on all these tracks are all about 1.20.00 ;)
I wouldnt go to Silverstone to see a 20 laps race where laps are 15 sec = 5min!!:?
on the other hand 20 laps x 1.20 min = 26.5 min --> a normal race.
but for a racing game 3 x 1.20 = 4 min --> i think it's pretty 'long' race
glanced through my SE phantom Race times the longest was 3.17.00
and in pure if a vector lap for a sertain track is 1.20
then phantom lap for the same track would probably be just under 1 min?:roll:
= 3 min race coz of 3 laps on all classes ( as far as I remember ) --> better than 1.15 for 5 laps anyway!
I think.

Lance
10th February 2005, 06:53 PM
according to Colin, there are five classes and the race length gets greater for every class as you go up to higher speed levels. so if vector starts out in Pure at the historic 2 laps per race, that would mean a minimum of six laps on the top class

zargz
10th February 2005, 06:58 PM
wow! :o
coool! :D

Rapier Racer
10th February 2005, 07:40 PM
Six laps?? Five laps on phantom class are tough enough, oh dear I will need to get practicing or else :oops:

Colin Berry
10th February 2005, 08:08 PM
according to Colin, there are five classes and the race length gets greater for every class as you go up to higher speed levels. so if vector starts out in Pure at the historic 2 laps per race, that would mean a minimum of six laps on the top class

I could tell you how its structured

But I'm not going to

surprises are nice

:P :twisted: :P

Dimension
10th February 2005, 08:10 PM
Mmm, six laps, sounds interesting. Looks like it's time to work on the old nerves, keeping it off the curb for 5 laps is tough, that's just notching the difficulty up one more time, excellent! :)

AmishRobot
10th February 2005, 10:57 PM
surprises are nice

:P :twisted: :P

Cmon! Going back to your christmas metaphor, we can't even shake the box to feel what it is! :)

That explosion looks like a 2097 thunderbomb to me, but it could be my mind expanding.

Chill
11th February 2005, 03:38 AM
Mobius wrote:
Here is the video i saw the big bomb on. It might just be like the 2097 thunder bomb but seeing the explosion on the other pic makes me think it is more powerful....
Dang, who ever's playing that game stinks!! :lol: And I certainly hope that's only Vector or Venom class, or else it's way to slow and boring!!

judus
11th February 2005, 04:02 AM
check this out, isn't it the coolest game cover ever? of course it is, because it's the actual cover for the game.

http://media.psp.ign.com/articles/585/585963/img_2588647.html

EDIT: oh also notice the new team spelled something like "horimov" or "horimou" and another one i cant figure out. (Starts with Ti or Tr and ends with os i think)
The last one looks like assegai.
So the team goes like Feisar,Auricom,Qirex RD, AG systems,Pirhana,Assegai, and the new teams, Horimov(or Horimou) and Tr or ti something..

any ideas anyone?

Colin Berry
11th February 2005, 10:54 AM
That video is of someone playing vector class - the slowest. No idea who is was, whoever it was, was pretty rubbish though.

It is spelt H A R I M A U

its a malaysian Tiger.

:wink:

Dimension
11th February 2005, 10:57 AM
well since it is just the slow league, we'd happily accept a phantom (and or) rapier video :wink:

Chill
12th February 2005, 04:15 AM
Nice cover! The crafts and logos look real slick too. It looks much better than Wipeout Fusion did, and a better possibility of not letting anyone down. Theirs gotta be Wipeout in heaven! :D

Ally Graham
12th February 2005, 01:33 PM
Very, VERY, cool cover...
So cool it is slick as ICE!

I want the game now, damn Sony holding up the Europe launch of the PSP, however they also make Pure, so, meh!

Chill
17th February 2005, 06:18 AM
Anyone see these?

http://www.lik-sang.com/image.php?category=218&products_id=4483&img=psp-wipeout-pure-jap

You can also pre-order from this site if you want. :wink:

Sausehuhn
18th February 2005, 04:42 PM
NEW SCREENS, NEW SCREENS!!!!

4 new screens at ign.com. Also Feisar and Auricom prototype! And you can see the laser-starting line.

>>> http://media.psp.ign.com/media/682/682962/img_2610977.html

WipEout Pure :rock_on

Mobius
18th February 2005, 08:52 PM
i read somewhere that wipeout pure is

"THE ONE AND ONLY REASON YOU NEED A PSP" - :D

Dimension
18th February 2005, 08:56 PM
seems to be the case around here Mobius, from what I can gather WOP is the reason those of us that are buying one will buy one, talk about a killer app :D

Chill
18th February 2005, 09:03 PM
GOOD GOD!!!!!!!! :o Those pictures are sweet!!!! Thank you very much!!!! :D :D :wink:

yawnstretch
18th February 2005, 09:30 PM
D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S.

Asayyeah
18th February 2005, 09:39 PM
Awesome pictures !

Sausehuhn
25th February 2005, 02:07 PM
NEW SCREENS AGAIN!!!

I think I will get a heart attack soon.

>>> http://media.psp.ign.com/media/682/682962/imgs_1.html

I'm not sure, but I think there's also a white/grey Qirex. >> "changing racing colors" 8O

edit:
and this 4 screens at gamekult.com. They are from the japanese site:

>>> http://www.gamekult.com/tout/jeux/fiches/J000068533_screenshots.html?maj=1&typeMedia=150022

Shem
25th February 2005, 03:19 PM
!!!!!!

I don't think it's Qirex.......It has a different shape (compare it to other screenshots).

FINALLY!!!! WE'VE GOT SOME GOOD LOOKING CROWDS!!!

Chill
25th February 2005, 03:27 PM
NICE!!!! :wink:

btw, I think we're gonna both have a heart attack Sausehuhn!!! :D Then we both will be sucked out right before we even get to play!!! :lol:

G'Kyl
25th February 2005, 03:31 PM
It does look like a Qirex, methinks. These screens are great, again. I especially like the track leading into the sub-ozean tunnel right in front of the yacht. :)
When at first I thought I didn't like how colorful and rounded Pure's world looks, it slowly starts to grow on me. I still miss the more mechanical feel of XL's tracks and crafts, but Pure somehow seems to resemble WO3's minimalistic and (hence) majestic style.
Anyway, I'll continue to simply wait for the full game and see what it will be like. Specific expectations about something you are waiting for can be a real bummer when the final product delivers something slightly different (if just as good) than what you thought it would. Yes, that is saying I don't like getting hyped. ;)

Ben

Mobius
25th February 2005, 04:36 PM
could be Triakis

Sausehuhn
25th February 2005, 05:04 PM
@ Mobius

I thought about triakis, too. But it's not right. The ship looks totally different from behind.

>>> http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/wipeoutpicture/wipeoutpurescreenshots/2.1.JPG

Maybe they changed the design, but I don't think so.
Er... and it could be a downloadable ship as well... if it's no Qirex.

Seek100
25th February 2005, 07:32 PM
The problem is it doesn't look like a Qirex either, the centre raised cockpit is missing and the wings are laid out flat whereas the Qirex's wings look to be angled around 30-35 degrees down. And the Qirex still looks like a rip of the Eldar Falcon grav-tank from 40k with the turret missing. :lol: I don't think it's a Triakis, maybe someone pointed out the similarity and they're still playing with the Qirex design to make it look less like the Falcon?

Feisar doesn't suck as much as I thought they would, the cover art had be very disapointed as they're my fave team (manoeuvrability will always beat speed :?) but it's a better design than they had in Fusion by far and looks about as good as their w3o ship.

Salt|Ultra
25th February 2005, 07:34 PM
The ocean tunnel one is so cool 8)

Lance
25th February 2005, 08:29 PM
''manoeuvrability will always beat speed''
the history of the development of fighter aircraft says otherwise; speed has always outweighed maneuverability.
you cannot reliably get a clear shot at an aircraft that simply outruns you. the only hope is to carry a self-powered weapon that is faster than your opponent's craft. and even then you must be able to stay close enough to the opponent to get a tracking lock on his machine. your own maneuverability adds nothing to the use of such a weapon. yes?

Seek100
25th February 2005, 09:20 PM
wipEout is not about military aircraft blowing each other up, it's about racing cars (albeit floating ones) with very little relation to planes beyond the control surfaces (airbrakes/ailerons though they look like they use vectored thrust like the USAF X-44 MANTA rather than ailerons for normal turning) racing around very twisty tracks, the development of automobiles has shown that manoeuvrability does outweigh brute speed 9 times out of 10 - ever watched a WRC? It's possible in one of the road-going Subarus or Mitsubishis to not only keep up with but slaughter traditional fast cars like Ferraris on twisty roads - straight line speed is fairly irrelevant in a real race.

Regarding weapons in wipEout I've maintained a missile lock on ships that appear to be several hundred metres away and in some case maintained it around a bend or over hills so the need to keep up with the opponent in a straight line doesn't really mean much with such advanced tracking systems, the other most common weapon the quake doesn't even need to have you pointed at the enemy and has a silly long range.

Lance
25th February 2005, 10:16 PM
um.. Wipeout is about racing aircraft blowing each other up?
don't the WRC cars have brutal acceleration? and are you comparing them to ordinary road-going Ferraris or F1 Ferraris or Le Mans type Ferraris? and how many twisty roads does one find? here in the U.S. there are almost no twisty roads [sigh. my beloved pre-war MGs do not do well here], so high speed wins every time on a lightly trafficked road. [unless the police have set up a roadblock 8O :cry: ]

how many tracker missiles does that Subaru WRX carry, anyway? ;)
i hope the police never carry any.

[there was a guy in California several years ago who tried to outrun the police on the freeways with his 512 Boxer Berlinetta. they caught him because the traffic held him back but got out of the way of the police with their flashing lights and nice loud sirens. poor guy.]

side note: it always amazes me how Al Sartwell gets an Icaras to go so fast around courses that other people have to use the maneuverable Assegai for. bloody driving talent that i don't have. dammit.

Seek100
26th February 2005, 12:47 AM
All WRC cars have about the same accelerationbut the point I was making is they are able to get round those tracks so fast because of the amount of high-tech gadgitry that gives them ridiculous handling ability the car with the smallest turning circle, the least weight and the most handling related tech will win in a rally. wipEout craft do not behave like any conventional aircraft I've ever seen, except possibly the Harrier and even then the only similarity is that they can both float in midair.

I was actually comparing road-going Subarus and Mitsubishis, I have been witness (as in in the passenger seat) of a Subaru Imprezza WRX STi take on much faster (in a straight line) cars like BMW M3s and Ferrari 360s on proper roads that we have in Europe - you know with turns in them? And beat the Ferraris and BMWs. Obviously in a straight line there's no way the Subaru would have won but proper races are done on very twisty roads, Americans wouldn't understand I guess you're country's so big you don't have turn the wheel much In the UK apart from a few major motorways the roads are very twisty and bumpy.

BTW On a related note - what exactly is so fun about NASCAR? I watched it once on one of the digital channels we get and I fell asleep - do their steering wheels actually turn right ever?

Lance
26th February 2005, 01:14 AM
you'll have to ask a major NASCAR fan that question. mostly i don't like oval racing, although there are two very short and bumpy and irregular NASCAR tracks [Martinsville and Bristol] where it is possible to see that a lot of skill is required to race on them. the cars dodge about a lot due to track irregularities and it can be entertaining to watch them. Daytona and the other superspeedways are quite dull for the most part, although the finish of the recent Daytona 500 had some excitement. but the first 90 percent of the race was boring in the extreme.

oddly enough, NASCAR has two races on roadracing tracks, my favourite being the old Sears Point course, called Infineon [or some such absurdity] by the sponsor. one of the best road races i've seen in recent years was the NASCAR event of a couple of years ago. i actually sat and watched the whole race, with the leaders going side by side through some of the turns and fignting tooth and nail for the lead for the entire race. exciting stuff

zargz
26th February 2005, 07:27 AM
I fisrt begun watching nascars coz of the Big Crashes .. :oops:
then i begun recognise some drivers and also I luv the 100ds cams they got on every car
front & rear bumper, helmet cam, behind the driver (the turning 1) > they catch the race so Good!

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

G'Kyl
26th February 2005, 08:16 AM
Watch a race for the crashes, I always thought these people CAN't be real race fans. ;-)

Lance, Seek100: NASCAR racing does require a lot of skill, if of a different kind than what you need for street races. Much of speedway racing is about strategy and who is able to keep tire wear at a minimum. And while the first three fourth of a NASCAR race can seem deadly boring from a viewers perspective, since pretty much everything that matters then is to stay within the same lap as the leader, the final part of the race can be the most exciting motorsport there is. I have seen some of the best wheel-to-wheel duells and closest finishes in oval races. You don't get this sort of intense head-to-head racing on a road course. Try giving NASCAR or INDYCAR a chance, Seek100. Or at least try watching the closing laps of at least a few races. :)

Ben

Asayyeah
26th February 2005, 12:13 PM
Watch a race for the crashes
off topic It depends if you talk about Wipeout where you can see contenders be eliminated by plasma or quake it's really fun to see them after recording your race but in real life i can't stand violence of car's crashs even those guys are very well protected in their car.

i'd rather prefer Champ car or F1 to Nascar but i might say the finishing lap of Nascar ( as Ben said) is something incredible to see : sometimes few centimeters ( inches :) ) between 1st and 2nd : awesome. 8)

Seek100
26th February 2005, 05:33 PM
You can see similar stuff in GT racing, and the tracks are much more interesting. Why don't they just make the NASCAR races a lot shorter, then the audience wouldn't be put to sleep by the first three quarters where nothing much happens - in my experience people only watch it for the crashes that happen at the end as G'Kyl suggests.

G'Kyl
26th February 2005, 05:51 PM
I didn't suggest that, I was merely quoting zargz. What I meant was that NASCAR races get exciting towards the end because of the racing, not the crashing part. :)

Seek100
26th February 2005, 06:18 PM
Sorry my bad, I was looking at asayyeah's post and it said your name, my bad.

zargz
26th February 2005, 11:49 PM
Last 2-3 seasons of F1 has been the most boring I've Ever seen!! :|

Mobius
27th February 2005, 12:45 PM
Schumey is too good for F1. Ferrari is like a Piranha from fusion.

They have dropped the specs of the cars to the eqiuvalent of the 2001 season cars so every team has the technology - this year should be about skill - hopefully 8O

Oh by the way - There is a Red Bull team now. :P

Give it a few years and there will be Fiesar. :)

G'Kyl
27th February 2005, 01:03 PM
this year should be about skill - hopefully

Yes, like all the recent years had been announced to be... :|

Lance
27th February 2005, 03:39 PM
since its very beginning, auto racing has been about skill aNd technology aNd bravery. [or at least fearlessness]. even in 1895, a better carburetor would win you the race. when Peugeot introduced the Ernest Henry designed engine with double overhead cams, four valves per cylinder, and hemispherical combustion chambers in 1912, auto racing changed forever. it was very very hard to win without that design. and yet even with it, skill and courage were required. it took a Tazio Nuvolari or a Bernd Rosemeyer to produce results with the Auto-Union Typ D in the late thirties. it is still that way today. Ferrari plus Schumacher equals victory. that's racing.

we will not see a change until the next great driver and the next great technical design team and the next great racing management team all get together.

G'Kyl
27th February 2005, 07:32 PM
Which probably isn't too far in the future. One thing I always found surprising when I was a little younger is how quickly success and failure take over from each other. See the stories of Williams, McLaren and Ferrari from the last decade. Schumacher appears to be a once-in-a-century talent, but even he won't be there forever or change the rules of F1.

And yes, technology is part of what makes racing fascinating. Many complain that technology nowadays is too overwhelming a factor in Formula 1.
But then what the heck. Everything below the technical standard of F1 offers exciting, if far less well promoted, racing. So I would never really complain as long as I got both. :)

Ben

zargz
27th February 2005, 10:41 PM
this is pretty equal isn't it? 8)
http://www.formulaone.free-online.co.uk/irl/rules/tech.html

Thruster2097
27th February 2005, 10:50 PM
has anyone heard of the new A1GP? Personally, I'm a big fan, and I am trying to get tickets for the first ever race at brands hatch (only a few miles away from me!)
It sounds like a fair race, but then again it can easily be dismissed as the next formula3.
If you havent heard about it, visit a1gp.com.

zargz
27th February 2005, 11:14 PM
brands hatch was a favorite of mine on the WTCC-game for the psx! 8)
One cool thing though >> everyone gets the same engine!!!
and as I can understand the same chassi?? 8O

Lance
28th February 2005, 04:53 AM
in F355 Challenge everybody gets the same car!