PDA

View Full Version : What do we think of the newly designed PS2?

Rapier Racer
23rd September 2004, 10:53 AM
I like the way it looks, it's so slim compared the model we all have now, I was intrigued at first but probably won't buy it since I already have one, it does look nice though and they could have made the first models network ready the money grabbing set of....

infoxicated
23rd September 2004, 11:05 AM
Since the first models came out four years ago this xmas, long before any network gaming system was in place, would it really have been justified making the console more expensive to pay for a componant that most people wouldn't use or get to use for several years?

Personally I'm okay with that decision - and I have three PS2's, one older one and two of the newer models with the IR port built in. I'm thinking of selling two of them, though, so I can have a new one with the network adapter built in. It would be a less cluttered solution for my living room. :)

Actually, that's a point - does anybody want to buy one of them? :D

Each will come with a free Wipeout Fusion PS2 carry case, you know. :)

At £50 for the old one, and £70 for one that was brand new in Februrary, you know it make sense!

:mr-t Ah pity the fool who cant see a bargain comin' their way!

Roger
23rd September 2004, 11:06 AM
Whoa, that's one slimmed down console 8O I just knew Sony would pull a stunt like this, one month after I bought a PS2 (Aqua). Mind you, the RRP for the new model is the same as for the current one.

Pictures at gamershell.com (http://www.gamershell.com/hellzone_Playstation_2_New_PS2.shtml).
---

Edit: there's no mention of a hard drive acessory for the new "PSTwo". A two inch drive might fit into the slim case, though...

Rapier Racer
23rd September 2004, 11:24 AM
Hey they have more pictures than playstation.com, how very odd, I don't like the way they have removed the blue PS2 bit, put it back on I say! but who really cares about that

piranha wiper
23rd September 2004, 11:41 AM
its funny how time repeats itself, the psx then ps1 exactly the same but small, but now theres a ps2 and the new ps2 which is, again, smaller but with a couple of extra features, if people are going to buy a ps2 for the first time then ithis would be good for them, but if you already have one then it wouldnt be much of a difference the original ps2, thers only about a year and abit until the ps3 comes out, its is predicted to be released early 2006 in usa, and then the psp is coming soon, i must admit the new version of the ps2 does look very stylish though :)

Rapier Racer
23rd September 2004, 11:56 AM
Another thing where will the fan go? will there even be any need for a fan?

Shem
23rd September 2004, 11:59 AM
wow, incredible what they did with ps2. it's so small i could break it apart with a karate chop!

piranha wiper
23rd September 2004, 12:05 PM
there is no spoo... er fan, probably due to its small size there arnt as many large sun-heat-giving-off components that would other wise melt, on the link roger supplied us with the pics show of no fan areas,

shem wrote
break it apart with a karate chop! :lol: bit of an expensive board to be chopping up :?

G'Kyl
23rd September 2004, 12:29 PM
Nope, they don't need a fan any more, or at least this is what I read. I believe they made the hardware, though being still the same at its core, somewhat more efficient in terms of its size (most apparently ;) ).

I'll give the PStwo a pass, since I can't afford it. However, with the new model hitting the market, does anybody know how much prices for the PS2 will go down (experience from PS and PSone, anyone?)?

Roger: I'd take that 50Pound PS2 in an instant if shipping to Germany came for a few cents. ;-)

Ben

Hyper Shadow
23rd September 2004, 01:58 PM
Personally, I'm not that keen on it. Sure it's got the network adaptor in it now, but at the end of the day its just a PS2 in a new package, like the Silver, Aqua and PSX. Why do they need to keep on releasing the same console?

Sony are only in it for the money, why? Because they constantly release 'new' style PS2's every few months and they still only put 2 controller ports on the damn thing, that is so out of date, causing you to spend even MORE money on a Multitap, and i'm sure the tiny memory cards could be built into the console himself.

This rant isn't confined to just the PS2, if any of the criteria match the other consoles, I'll be against them just as much. (A million different colour GBA's? Why?)

G'Kyl
23rd September 2004, 02:17 PM
Why, as long as I were to find enough people paying for this kind of gimmicks, I'd release as much as I could think of. :)

infoxicated
23rd September 2004, 02:52 PM
Roger: I'd take that 50Pound PS2 in an instant if shipping to Germany came for a few cents. ;-)
erm... it was actually me that's selling. Shipping to germany wouldn't cost so much, actually... ;)

G'Kyl
23rd September 2004, 03:13 PM
Shipping to germany wouldn't cost so much, actually... ;)

Hmmm, how much exactely would it be?

EDIT: And yes, I know I keep mixing up posters (long story, it's not my brain though *g*). I better apologize for any time this will happen in the future... ;)

infoxicated
23rd September 2004, 04:21 PM
I'm not entirely sure, to be honest, I'll need to find out from the post office. From stuff I've sent off to european addresses recently (negCons), it was reasonably cheap (£1.80), even for first class postage.

A PS2 would have to be sent via recorded delivery, though, so that might cost £10 or so.

I sold a phone on ebay recently and had to send that recorded and insure it for £70 - that only cost me about £5, so unless weight ramps it up substantially I reckon £10 is a good guess. :)

G'Kyl
23rd September 2004, 04:57 PM
Could you send me a note as soon as you know for sure how much I'd have to pay you for everything? Cause I think I'd take the PS2 for 60.

infoxicated
23rd September 2004, 05:25 PM
Sure thing - I'm away for the weekend, but once I get back I'll be able to find out.

Lance
23rd September 2004, 06:19 PM
i like the new compactness and the slimmer than original pricetag that comes with it. but i've never thought the PS2 was a very good machine. i still don't

infoxicated
23rd September 2004, 07:01 PM
I think the first generation of PS2 titles maybe tarnished its reputation somewhat - they weren't particularly inspiring to look at or to play. But now things have shaped up I think it can hold its own until its successor comes to the market.

How else would I have ended up with three of the things!? :lol:

G'Kyl
23rd September 2004, 07:05 PM
Not in terms of hardware specs, I agree. But there are a lot of games and genres that you don't find support for on any other console. Like for example, I just found out that there is virtually NO sidescroller shoot'em up for the XBox. Which is quite a loss considering it's one of my favourite genres. Also, the game probably being as bad as I heard, it's got Fusion's zone mode. ;)

EDIT:
How else would I have ended up with three of the things!? :lol:

Yeah...that still leaves me wondering. ;))

Lance
23rd September 2004, 07:26 PM
considering your job, Rob, you're immersed in the PS2 culture. therefore....

Rapier Racer
23rd September 2004, 08:39 PM
(A million different colour GBA's? Why?)

I don't think it's such a bad thing if they release all the different colours at once so from the products launch date you have a nice variety of colours to choose from, personally if they had released a green PS2 I would have bought that over a black one.

Lance
23rd September 2004, 11:26 PM
mmm... dark green would be nice. a centered or slightly bluish dark emerald rather than a yellowish dark olive. i've always liked the way the PS2 looks, just dislike the hardware/OS

UncleZeiv
24th September 2004, 01:45 PM
(A million different colour GBA's? Why?)

A game developer I knew used to say that N64 experienced a huge boost in sales when a transparent version was released, defeating the far technology-superior Dreamcast. It's like in politics: you must conquer those who are uncertain...

_dave_

Lance
24th September 2004, 02:33 PM
it's giving people choices; people like that. they often ignore the important thing of substance in favour of a lesser thing that they can choose variations of. choice is a big deal

AmishRobot
25th September 2004, 01:37 AM
I've gotta say that the new design is super slick. I never did care much for it before. I sold my PS2 long ago with no regrets, but I've been thinking of picking up a new one simply for GTA: San Andreas and Rez (the only game for it I miss). If they'd dropped the price to $99 I'd be sold. For now I'll have to think about it.

Roger
25th September 2004, 05:29 AM
A used (and cheap!) Dreamcast will suffice for your "Rez-needs". GTA, now that's a different story...

AmishRobot
25th September 2004, 11:10 AM
Sadly, Rez was a PS2-only release here in the US. (Though I should pick up a Dreamcast regardless)

Even sadder is that Rez has become quite hard to find cheaply lately. I'm such a fool for selling it!

Thruster2097
2nd October 2004, 05:03 PM
So has anybody got info on how much it is / when it is available? I would really really like one. My PS2 is 1st gen. Bought on 24/11/2000 , launch number 0310225. Nearly four years old (and yes, I do celebrate it's purchase day every year with a badge (for the PS2), a new game and a thorough clean through inside and out.)
So when'sa 'ee available?

Hellfire_WZ
2nd October 2004, 05:19 PM
November 1st, according to the official site.

Thruster2097
3rd October 2004, 03:58 PM
yep, sorry bout that, hellfire. I'm dumb.
I was looking on uk.playstation.com, they got nothing. So i tried the usa site, they got everything. And pics. And at 150euros, thats a respectable price.
My only dilemma is should I wait for the PS3 to come out?

infoxicated
3rd October 2004, 04:58 PM
You could be waiting some time! :)

There's the PSP coming first... you know how much of a sucker you are for Gran Tourismo too, so I doubt you'll be able to resist being able to play that *and* wipeout in a portable form. :lol:

Thruster2097
3rd October 2004, 11:18 PM
yeah, youre right.
I was going to just wait until the PS3 until I bought a new playstation, but with the condition my PS2 is in at the moment (tempremental at best), and with the amount of use it's going to have to take soon (GT4!!!!!!!!!!!!!) then an update to a PStwo does seem like a good idea. Plus the newer slimmer model will squeeze nicely between my sky+ and my new dvd writer.
And what with the PSP too......

"Seasons Greetings to you all. I'll be in my room"
:lol: