PDA

View Full Version : GameStars Live!

Thruster2097
1st September 2004, 07:38 AM
I am going to be at gamestars today.
Pretty much just going for Need for Speed Underground 2, but Colin McRae might just prove too tempting.
And Warcraft Worlds.
And Halo 2.

I'll be back to let y'all know whats happening in the wonderful and joyous land of blighty!

(p.s. if you see me there give me a tap on the shoulder and say hi - im going to be reprezentin the 'zone by wearing my team wz jersey.)

infoxicated
1st September 2004, 08:21 AM
Hey, let me know if NFSU2 has the same cheating gypo elastic band AI as the last game. :)

piranha wiper
1st September 2004, 08:23 AM
i saw that gamestars but i didnt see anything that interested me, shame really, but good luck in you quest of driving, and go kick some butt,

i bet infox would be greatful tht you are representing the zone woth your jersey, i know i would be

Thruster2097
1st September 2004, 08:42 AM
Foxxy knows I world do pretty much anything for him or this place. Plus he can caine me at wipeout so I gotta give him respect. :)
(still on for that rematch? :P )

I would imagine there is loads more happening than the very limited stuff they have on the website. See, I am not good at games and I have little-to-none interest of online gaming (apart from the two weeks I spend online with the xbox, what a wasted experience that was!) so as far as this expo goes I'm only really gonna see half of it.
I just hope the half I do see is worthwhile and enjoyable.

:infoxicated
Dodgy AI, too? Damn. I never noticed that. I'm still trying to figure a way to control a standard car... the controls, response, physics.... all the worst I've seen in a long time. And less said about the 'bling-bling' soundtrack the better.
Pfft!
rollin on 24's my ........anyway.... Im hoping NFSU2 is better.

Hybrid Divide
1st September 2004, 09:11 AM
For us poor saps over in America...
What is Gamestars? 8O

piranha wiper
1st September 2004, 09:17 AM
a way to describe is like E3 but instead of showing off a companys game you compete on games and win prizes i think, there are different sections to it with different games to compete in and it also has a stage for bands to play music www.gamestarslive.co.uk , i will have to tape it, (i am going to leeds for a 3 day training course)

Hybrid Divide
1st September 2004, 09:23 AM
Good luck!

Man, why can't the US have anything this cool? :cry:

Mobius
1st September 2004, 11:56 AM
gamestars is an award cerymony for games held in the uk.
its only been done once or twice before so there hasnt been much press untill now.

gamestars live on the other hand is e3 without needing to be a games journalist to get in...i think

Task
1st September 2004, 06:05 PM
Why can't the US have anything that cool?!? I believe you are highly uninformed!

The US has the mighty PAX! (http://www.penny-arcade.com/pax/)

Not only is it a great gaming expo, but you can win More Gaming Than Has Ever Been Given Away Before. Ever. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/pax/contest.htm)

Thruster2097
1st September 2004, 06:45 PM
yep, thats pretty much it.
Think E3, but smaller. Anyone can get in, just pay for your ticket and enjoy.
(next door there is a trade-only event... try to get in and you'll find a suited doorman gladly pushing you off his premises)
The Gamestars Live is an expo comprising mainly of Microsoft, Nintendo (no sony!!!!!) and EA. All through the event there is a big on-line PC tournament (I think that is building to a sunday all-stars final) and there are bunches of networked PS2's and Xbox's where you can go head-to-head and challenge other players for prizes. There are some stand alone consoles offering one-lap hot-lap challenges, where the fastest lap every hour wins an xbox or something. The one I felt lucky with was a Forza Motorsport hot-lap around Laguna Seca. I put in an average lap, only to be annhialated by the pro's wearing Microsoft shirts, who were there to show off Halo 2. But what they would want with an xbox beats me ?!
But the actual Gamestars event is kinda like an awards ceremony celebrating everything gaming and such. It's very poor so they had to introduce the new Live! expo to get people interested.

Massive display from EA showing Burnout 3 (still claiming 95% complete with a release date of the 10thSep isnt promising) and NFSU2, which still handles like mud, only it looks prettier. (Foxxy - AI still rank as poor - no change!)
A huge display from Empire Interactive with FlatOut as their main attraction. FlatOut is the funniest game I've played in a good long while! You get to crash your little driver out the windscreen!!!!! Cross between Destruction Derby and Shox?
Nice show from Square with Final Fantasy 11.
Huge effort from Atari, but their main attraction was driv3r. Dated, but they must think its good!
Also a massive effort from Vivendi Universal, but bettered by DigitalJesters with a live DJ and some of the hottest laydees..... anyway, Everything white, and lots of TrackMania fun.
Big queues for the firrst chance to play Halo 2, bigger queues to get into Nintendo World (heh, have that one, gates!) and a really good day out.
If you get the chance, go visit.

P.S. If you pester Activision long enough, they give you free stuff... I got a 6ft. Spiderman 2 floor stander. Only problem is I dont like spidey!)

Ally Graham
21st February 2005, 05:30 PM
This year's event will be called:
Gamezone Live

In other words they have moved away from the GameStars program and made it more descriptive.

Chill
21st February 2005, 05:40 PM
Man, why can't the US have anything this cool? :cry:
I feel for you buddy :cry: .That's why I'm planning to move to Europe when I get older. :wink:

Ally Graham
21st February 2005, 05:45 PM
It was very cool, and because I was playing RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 there, and being recorded, I appeared in the 'Making Of' video for the game.

Had no idea untill i downloaded the video and saw me! :D